Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Are you happy with our first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This reminds me of the Duane Brown pick. Everybody was pissed for taking a supposedly 3rd round pick in the 1st round. But it turned out ok.

I totally understand that but I'd feel better if Alex Gibbs had been the guy who found him as opposed to whoever in the current Texans organization made that call. Having said that I hope it works out and we found a beast for the LT spot.

Dillard was coming from a Leach Air Raid offense and was known as a mediocre to worse run blocker.

Not true at all. He had zero issues run blocking in college. The issue was coming from a system with the extra wide splits and very limited reps in the run game and how that would translate.

Has nothing to do with him being a poor run blocker.

I thought we were modeling the franchise on the Patriots, not the Browns. Oh wait the Browns are supposedly making some moves.

I think what bothers me the most is that we don’t have an OL coach who can develop players. The Texans probably would have helped their oline by drafting Josh Jacob because I think he’s more talented at the spot we picked. We’ll see how the rest of the draft turns out but right now I’m meh about it.

I think what bothers me the most is that we don’t have an OL coach who can develop players. The Texans probably would have helped their oline by drafting Josh Jacob because I think he’s more talented at the spot we picked. We’ll see how the rest of the draft turns out but right now I’m meh about it.

Completely agree about the OL coaching. Have we developed even ONE good lineman in the OBrien era? I dont understand the loyalty to Devlin...must have BOB nudes.

There are so many fringe 1st round picks left that the Texans can get a really good corner in the 2nd and a really good OG/RT.

They should consider another WR to be on the other side of Hopkins. Fuller is coming off an ACL, and Coutee’s hamstring issues make me gag.

If Parris Campbell is still on the board, I’d snap him up.

Completely agree about the OL coaching. Have we developed even ONE good lineman in the OBrien era? I dont understand the loyalty to Devlin...must have BOB nudes.
I said this in another thread and I'll say it again here.
I don't trust Devlin at all with prospects. He could take an all pro future hall of fame best tackle in the league and turn him into some one who couldn't block grandma who uses a walker even if he had 10 minutes to hold her off.
I still wish Devlin would have been fired this off season. Don't understand at all why he's still with the team. He's a terrible line coach. Not even good enough to coach a peewee league.
The Texans can get all if the free agent, undrafted or top drafted talent they want. As long as Devlin is coaching them, they'll never amount to anything. The Texans ownership needs to take charge and fire Devlin then bring in a viable line coach like maybe Bruce Matthews.

I'm going to give Gain and crew the benefit of the doubt, but it all depends on how round two shakes out. I like what little I have read on Howard and think he will be good to great pending coaching being able to get him up to NFL game speed. If all this other top talent continues to slide, it is still possible to slide up and grab one to further solidify our ranks.

I just have to remember fan sentiment when Brown and Watt where taken, bit my lip, temper my emotions and let it all play out.

And you expect this coaching staff to "coach him up" ??

Whatever gives you the idea that they are capable of such a thing ? What ONE player have they drafted that has been "coached up" to meet or exceed expectations ?!

I'm drawing a blank.

I think Devlin has become a very convienent scapegoat for many of us for our OLine issues.
Most of us including this poster don't know enough about Oline play and coaching linemen to make an informed judgment about Devlin, but I will conceed that some folks on this Board are knowledgeable about the subject.
As far as picking Howard and picking him @ 23 goes, only time will tell us the wisdom or lack thereof on that decision.

I think Howard would be off the board by #54, but he is not good value at #23. If he was their 2nd or 3rd rated LT and there were no worthy trade back opportunities, then from the Texans view they had to take him. We shall see if it works.

I was not high on Dillard. He is an excellent finesse pass blocker with great feet and terrible hand placement. No punch...no nasty streak...blah run blocking. Still worthy to be picked early but I dont feel like we missed out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
There is one other positive I haven't read being mentioned. Alabama State played Auburn last season and Howard shut down Auburn's edge rushers with an outstanding game, another indication he has the qualities to make the jump to NFL talent level.

The pick surprised me, but I did have Howard on my short list, but like others, had him slated for the second or third round. However, yesterday just before the draft, I saw a mention that Howard was a second round prospect trending up.

It appears the Texans had offers to trade up but it would have cost us a second. We also explored trading down but we wanted a third or fourth. Apparently we couldn't make the trade.

Howard seems to be slated, at this time, to compete at LT. So we still need a RT, not to mention, a C/G.

Maybe not but …. could you not get your choice of every corner (or WR) in the draft then trade up in the second to and get this guy ?

Just seems like a wasted opportunity.

In the past, they tried that, then the guy wouldn’t be there. Wasted opportunities my butt. I’m tired of the missed opportunities to get quality OL every damn year.

F’ck that sh!t. Address the need.

I am not opposed to the general idea of drafting talent that needs to be developed. I think a reach for someone with a high ceiling can sometimes be your best move.

I just have absolutely no faith in the Houston Texans to develop anyone or anything. The next player this incarnation of the team makes better for coming here will be the first player they've made better. Project guys come here to die and leave here someone else's reclamation project.

I am not opposed to the general idea of drafting talent that needs to be developed. I think a reach for someone with a high ceiling can sometimes be your best move.

I just have absolutely no faith in the Houston Texans to develop anyone or anything. The next player this incarnation of the team makes better for coming here will be the first player they've made better. Project guys come here to die and leave here someone else's reclamation project.

Dude , that's sig worthy ….

To be honest I don't know what to think about this pick. They went with another project verses a bonified stud who could start right away.

What I do know dude is a versatile linemen who can play both tackle positions and guard. I've expressed my position on that mindset several times already.

As much as this pick shocked me, after researching a bit I think OB & Gaine got it right. It doesn't matter how other people had Howard rated. How our brain trust had him rated vis a vis other guys is the only thing that counted for them last night. They trusted their board. A big contribution to their rating must have come from Devlin. So be it.

They didn't pull a Jamarcus
Russell on this one. I think Howard will be good. I don't think he would be available by the time they get to their second round picks, so if they think he can significantly help better than guys they project to be available tonight and even if it was a bit of a reach, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying they did the right thing.

Last edited:
He only gave up one sack in the past couple of years, started and looked damn good at the senior bowl. Better pass and run blocker than Dillard, so...I’ll say YES! I’m happy with our first round pick. He’s nasty!

Lesser competition can draw a beautiful picture sometimes. Let's see how he stacks up against the big boys.

It appears the Texans had offers to trade up but it would have cost us a second.
Huh? The Packers went from #30 to #21 for two 4ths. A 3rd would have easily got that deal done. The Eagles gave up a 4th and kicked back a 6th to the Ravens to jump 3 picks to get ahead of the Texans. I don't know where you're getting your info or just making it up, but that's obviously false.

And...as much as it would have been nice to get a top CB or WR at 23, I think the brain trust used a blended BPA / Position of Need approach because of the HUGE need to protect Watson not only with better pass blocking but also protect him with a better running game. I'm relieved they see that as vital.

His "grades" were assigned by media guys that don't know anything about football. That doesn't mean NFL teams feel the same.

Zero chance he would have been there at #54.

Gaine showed lots of patience. Glad he held his water and kept his draft picks.

I was disappointed at first when GB took Risner.. But then the realization that there is probably a better chance Howard improves his pass pro than there is that Risner learns how to run block. At least I have myself believing that.

For all we 'wannabes' know our board may have had Howard rated higher than Risner? idonno:

Gonna get two more good players today. DB and RB ?? Maybe Gaine can find a good Edge player still out there?

:coffee:

And you expect this coaching staff to "coach him up" ??

Whatever gives you the idea that they are capable of such a thing ? What ONE player have they drafted that has been "coached up" to meet or exceed expectations ?!

I'm drawing a blank.

Whatever in my post gives you the idea that I think the coaching staff is capable of such a thing? All I stated was that I think Howard will be good to great pending coaching. Never said he would be good or great because of OUR coaching. Maybe I should have said "Could be great".

But hey...a broke clock is right twice a day. Maybe we will get lucky....

For years at draft time I always knew that there were two constants.

1. The Cleveland Browns would find players who everyone knew and who would turn out to be a complete waste of time and...

2. The Buffalo Bills would draft some project that nobody else thought was anywhere near good enough to be taken in the first round then act like they got their guy and we were all in for a surprise when we saw how smart they were. That guy would never pan out.

OK, so maybe that didn't happen every year but it sure seemed like it did. I don't know who the new Cleveland Browns are but it's clear to me that we're the new Buffalo Bills. 2002-2019 and somehow we're back to being run by "the smartest man in the room".

after sleeping on it Im not feeling any better honestly. The Alignment Posse selected a guy based on basically TWO good games .. Auburn and Senior Bowl, and even then speed rushers gave him issues. Texas kid Greg Little should have been the pick there. Jawaan Taylor knee issue? Cody Ford a guard? Dalton Risner not as good as D2 Tytus Howard? SMH.

23.Houston Texans

Titus Howard, OT, Alabama State |Highlights

Why they picked him:AfterDeshaun Watsontook 62 sacks last season, the Texans needed to find a way to protect their franchise quarterback. Houston expectsSeantrel Hendersonto start at right tackle, but did not have a viable candidate who can protect Watson on the left side. Howard brings talent and athleticism to a group who needed to improve this offseason after Watson had to play through injuries to his ribs and lungs last season.

Biggest question:Will Howard be ready to start right away, and do the Texans see him as a left tackle? Howard started all 11 games at left tackle in 2017, but moved back to right tackle last season, earning first team All-SWAC honors. Howard will be expected to step up right away to protect Watson. Howard was a high school quarterback who significantly changed his body by gaining weight in college to become a first round pick for the Texans. --Sarah Barshop
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26545631/2019-nfl-draft-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick
OK this is the most troubling thing I've read about Howard to date.
Played LT his junior year but was moved to RT his senior/final year ? I don't like to hear those sort of things bout the guy we supposedly drafted to protect
our franchise QBs "blind-side".

I was disappointed at first when GB took Risner.. But then the realization that there is probably a better chance Howard improves his pass pro than there is that Risner learns how to run block. At least I have myself believing that.

For all we 'wannabes' know our board may have had Howard rated higher than Risner? idonno:

Gonna get two more good players today. DB and RB ?? Maybe Gaine can find a good Edge player still out there?

1. GB took the Maryland Safety, Savage.

2. Risner is still available.

3. Eagles took Dillard which is what I think you meant.

23.Houston Texans

Why they picked him:AfterDeshaun Watsontook 62 sacks last season, the Texans needed to find a way to protect their franchise quarterback. Houston expectsSeantrel Hendersonto start at right tackle, but did not have a viable candidate who can protect Watson on the left side. Howard brings talent and athleticism to a group who needed to improve this offseason after Watson had to play through injuries to his ribs and lungs last season.

Biggest question:Will Howard be ready to start right away, and do the Texans see him as a left tackle? Howard started all 11 games at left tackle in 2017, but moved back to right tackle last season, earning first team All-SWAC honors. Howard will be expected to step up right away to protect Watson. Howard was a high school quarterback who significantly changed his body by gaining weight in college to become a first round pick for the Texans. --Sarah Barshop
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26545631/2019-nfl-draft-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick
Played LT his junior year but was moved to RT his senior/final year ? I don't like to hear those sort of things bout the guy we supposedly drafted to protect

I think he was still protecting the 'blindside'

after sleeping on it Im not feeling any better honestly. The Alignment Posse selected a guy based on basically TWO good games .. Auburn and Senior Bowl, and even then speed rushers gave him issues. Texas kid Greg Little should have been the pick there. Jawaan Taylor knee issue? Cody Ford a guard? Dalton Risner not as good as D2 Tytus Howard? SMH.

Sweat tried speed vs him at the Senior Bowl and he shut it down. Sweat bull rushed him once and put him on his butt.

He needs to add muscle but we already knew that. He's also only been playing OL for 2 years.

Just watch his feet. Very fast chops in his back pedal.

Needs to add muscle and better use of his hands.

Also: All those players you mentioned are still there. Risner, Cajuste, Little, Taylor, Ford. How do we know they're not gonna double dip at 54? We might be able to find a good corner in the 2nd also.

GB took Savage the safety.

Eagles took Dillard the LT.

Risner still on the board and a very competent run blocker.

He only gave up one sack in the past couple of years, started and looked damn good at the senior bowl. Better pass and run blocker than Dillard, so...I’ll say YES! I’m happy with our first round pick. He’s nasty!

I didn't think he looked better than Dillard at the Sr Bowl.

I just remember Sweat beating him like a stepchild several times.

That didn't happen to Dillard. He's going to be facing alot of talent like Sweat with this yrs upcoming schedule.

23.Houston Texans

Coaches moved him because they had a left handed QB his senior year.

23.Houston Texans

The reason he was switched is they then had a left handed QB so he has always protected the QB s backside and only have up one sack in two years. Not too bad.

The Auburn tape shows their QB is right handed. So it would not have been the blindside.

I love Howard at RT.

Ok, I had read that he played on the blindside of whoever was starting, like the team had more than one QB playing

No, I'm not happy with first round pick. Nothing against Howard but he was rated the 6th best O lineman, while Jawaan Taylor, who is rated the top OL prospect (by several sites), was still available. Not to mention Cody Ford, Greg Little and Dalton Risner

It's clear that these so-called expert web sites - Walter football, SI, rotoworld, etc... - don't use the same criteria of value that NFL teams do. I would like to think that Brian Gaine knows something that others don't.

Back