Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Are you happy with our first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
23.Houston Texans

Titus Howard, OT, Alabama State |Highlights

Why they picked him:AfterDeshaun Watsontook 62 sacks last season, the Texans needed to find a way to protect their franchise quarterback. Houston expectsSeantrel Hendersonto start at right tackle, but did not have a viable candidate who can protect Watson on the left side. Howard brings talent and athleticism to a group who needed to improve this offseason after Watson had to play through injuries to his ribs and lungs last season.

Biggest question:Will Howard be ready to start right away, and do the Texans see him as a left tackle? Howard started all 11 games at left tackle in 2017, but moved back to right tackle last season, earning first team All-SWAC honors. Howard will be expected to step up right away to protect Watson. Howard was a high school quarterback who significantly changed his body by gaining weight in college to become a first round pick for the Texans. --Sarah Barshop
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26545631/2019-nfl-draft-pros-cons-every-first-round-pick
OK this is the most troubling thing I've read about Howard to date.
Played LT his junior year but was moved to RT his senior/final year ? I don't like to hear those sort of things bout the guy we supposedly drafted to protect
our franchise QBs "blind-side".
Alabama State had a left handed QB. The right side was the blind side. Howard now has the versatility and experience to play either position.

I don’t doubt you have seen it every year on every teams board. So what, doesn’t make it more or less true. Your statement is like some one saying they don’t want to go out in the rain and then saying someone says that every time it rains. Has nothing to do with the current topic.

Then you’ve been looking at different mocks than me because most I’ve seen had him 3rd. Couple had him even higher all the way to 7th. I’m not basing my statement off of mocks though I’m basing it off of what I saw teams taking and what was still on the board.

I’m not saying I hate the pick per say but after all the talk about not drafting for need the Eagles shocked them and make a pick that screams “we drafted for need”. That’s not a bad thing, in fact I’m in favor of drafting need over BPA if the two are close at all, but it could make future deals tough if teams think Texans can be rattled when their plans get derailed.

My question, which we will never know, was Howard their second choice at 23, in which case I’m fine with it, or did they panic and take him as a last second choice. They will never convince me he was their first choice in round 1.

May not of been their 1st choice, but was clearly their 2nd

Howard played quarterback in high school

He played quarterback.

An Eagles Wire story said he weighed 150 pounds and stood 5 foot 8 as a high school freshman. He grew to 6 foot 2, 225 pounds by his high school senior year.

Howard also played basketball in high school.

Howard joined Alabama State as a walk-on

Alabama State senior offensive lineman Tytus Howard talks about coming onto the field for the first day of spring practice on Monday. Kamarri Darrington/Advertiser

Reggie Barlow, Alabama State's head football coach from 2006-14, offered Howard a spot on the team as a tight end but did not give him a scholarship.

Howard joined the Hornets, and he redshirted the 2014 season. He received a scholarship by the end of his freshman year, according to Eagles Wire.

Brian Jenkins took over as head coach in 2015, and he moved Howard to the offensive line.

"When he went from tight end to offensive tackle, I said, ‘Oh, you’re too little!'," Howard's mom, Teresa Rivers, told Eagles Wire.

Howard started six games on the offensive line in 2015. He followed that by starting seven games in 2016, 11 games in 2017 and 10 games in 2018.

I may be wrong, but I think our QB is too fast for Howard to try to protect, he seemed slow to me on the tape I saw. Might be good for a pocket passer, but not our QB.

Everyone likes to talk about where Tom Brady was drafted as some example of how the draft is such an inexact science. Or they'll reference any number of UDFAs like Arian Foster. It's a valid point and if a player takes advantage of his opportunity, he can excel from any draft spot (assuming he gets an opportunity). But there's a flip side to that coin. If the Patriots had drafted Brady in the first round that year, they would have caught so much grief, and rightfully so. It isn't about what kind of player Brady ended up becoming, it's the fact that they could have had him in the 6th round and therefore could have spent their first several picks on other talent. That's value.

Tytus Howard might end up being the OL version of Tom Brady for all I know, but I feel like the Texans reached with the pick and could have gotten him in the second round. I also feel like there's enough of a difference between Tytus Howard and Andre Dillard that one draft spot is not an accurate representation of the value in that position. I actually like Tytus Howard as a player, and I think he could turn out to be a cornerstone player for the team. He's going to struggle at first. A person needs 10000 hours of repetition at their craft to become expert at it. All college players coming out are somewhere on that path, but Howard is further back right now. All indications are that he'll get there, but I don't feel like they should have spent a first round pick on him.

Here's one other thing to consider: If the Texans really had their Big Board with #1 Dillard (after the players taken, presumably) and Howard #2 right behind him, they'd be one of the few, if not the only team to do that. And if the Texans had a track record for outsmarting the draft, we'd cut them slack and buy in. But they don't have any such reputation. In fact, they have a pretty solidly inept reputation when it comes to drafting and developing OL. So whatever leeway I'm granting on this pick at this point is because of the player rather than the front office, praying he will be immune to the coaching down that always seems to happen with this staff.

And this 'minority owner' was in the war room last night? And you worked out with him in the past 12 hours?

No, minority owners are not permitted in the draft room until after the full draft is concluded. They have a separate room where they have a party with Big sponsors and guests.

Yes, I worked out with them this morning.

No, minority owners are not permitted in the draft room until after the full draft is concluded. They have a separate room where they have a party with Big sponsors and guests.

Yes, I worked out with them this morning.

ok,so minority owners are not allowed in the war room but are made privy to all the almost deals that may have happened? And the Texans didn't trade down to where because they didn't get an extra 4th in addition to what?

Gaine said "no comment" when asked about trading up

https://www.riversmccown.com/2019/0...ckle-prospect-but-he-may-not-help-right-away/

RIVERSMCCOWN.COM

POSTED ONAPRIL 26, 2019 BY RIVERSMCCOWN_1RDKF6
Tytus Howard is a solid tackle prospect, but he may not help right away

With their first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, the Texans watched as two teams maneuvered in front of them. The final one, Philadelphia, took the player the Texans coveted, Washington State left tackle Andre Dillard, with the 22nd overall pick. It was frankly incredible that the Texans got as close to nabbing Dillard as they did, as I think he probably deserved to go about nine picks earlier. I believe Texans fans will, long-term, have a reason to lament that non-move. At the cost of a couple of lower-round picks, the Texans could have secured an opportunity that doesn’t come around very often: a played they needed at a price that was lower than expected. It doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that GM Brian Gaine no-commented on the trade-up situation.

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/1121631568370397187

✔@HoustonTexans
https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/1121631568370397187

"We have to have guys that can be bodyguards for Deshaun Watson man, and you're going to be that guy."

Inside the war room when the #Texans drafted Tytus Howard.

11:26 PM - Apr 25, 2019

649 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

With the 23rd overall pick, the Texans settled on Alabama State’s Tytus Howard, a small-school prospect who went to the Senior Bowl. I will be up front and tell you that this is a harder pick for someone like me to vet because Alabama State game film isn’t falling out of my ears.

Let’s start with the athletic profile. Howard went to the combine and ran a 5.05 40-yard-dash, which is in the 89th percentile among all NFL tackles at the event. However, his 8.49-second three-cone drill time was disastrous — in the sixth percentile of all NFL tackles. His arm length would not sway you to draft him if that was something you were focused on, and outside of the jump, the rest of his combine results were a little mediocre.

I think the athletic profile undersells his game speed. Howard has a real nice initial kick and set, and he can cover ground in a hurry with wide, sweeping strides. He’s got the body to be an NFL left tackle, though I don’t think he’s in Dillard’s class as an overall athlete and believe his athletic profile might falter against the true freaks of the NFL edge rusher corps.

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121781693520777217

This is the kind of rep I think scouts drool and dream on from their offensive linemen. Reach, piledrive, dominance from Howard.

9:22 AM - Apr 26, 2019

See Rivers McCown's other Tweets

Howard has shown the power to bury SEC linemen on running plays, and from what I saw has enough hustle to get to the second level on an NFL pull or combo block.

It is, as it is for Julien Davenport, an issue of technique. When Howard’s hands are right, he looks incredible:

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121778627975233536

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121778627975233536

Senior Bowl Tytus Howard rep -- this is what happens when he wins the hand game. Stonewalls North rusher and you get the sense he could have protected another five seconds as well.

9:10 AM - Apr 26, 2019

When Howard’s hands are not good, he gets walked back pretty easily:

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121779901223325696

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121779901223325696

However, Howard is not perfect with the hand game just yet and this rep you see him get walked back pretty easily. These are the kinds of collapsing pockets that would put Watson into scramble mode.

9:15 AM - Apr 26, 2019

I don’t think that’s something extraordinary to point out — I just compare to Dillard who I thought had superhuman recovery ability. Howard really doesn’t have that. In fact, when Howard gets beat, he has a tendency to grab. What I watched of him against Auburn left me thinking he could have been flagged for holding or false starts another two or three times. Here’s the one he was actually called for:

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121782752599334913

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1121782752599334913

One of my biggest concerns about Howard is that he's super grabby. He's grabby even when he's won the rep up until that point. He's grabby when he's beat. This one actually got called.

9:27 AM - Apr 26, 2019

Again, I’m not reinventing the wheel by pointing out that a HBCU tackle might need some work on his technique to become a good NFL player. Lance Zierlein said Howard reminded him of Duane Brown. I think Brown was a cut above Howard as an athlete, but there is definitely upside to grow into.

With Howard it’s going to be about wrangling all those parts to work together, something that was evident even on the small bits that I was able to watch. Even people who do have more reps than me would tell you that they don’t have much. Howard had just 115 college snaps before his senior season.

If the Duane Brown comp excited you, remember that Duane Brown was not good in his first season. In fact, he split time with Ephraim Salaam and often was overmatched.

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1106057146523963393

Rivers McCown

✔@riversmccown

https://twitter.com/riversmccown/status/1106057146523963393

Duane Brown was an awesome left tackle for a long time. For those who have forgotten what his rookie season was like, let Jared Allen remind you.

11:59 PM - Mar 13, 2019

Don’t necessarily use my skepticism of how the Texans played this draft as a crippling indicator that Howard, himself, is a bad player. I do think Howard is a solid left tackle prospect. But the problem is that the situation the Texans had screamed for them to move up and get the more elite prospect. They’re in a situation where the current linemen are so bad that anybody they picked was destined to see the field early. Dillard is more or less plug-and-play as a pass blocker. I am less sanguine that Howard will be that way. I am open to the idea — mostly because, again, I don’t have a lot of video of him to study. But what I do see leads me to believe he’s not going to come in and be great right away. I think the timeline on Howard being a good NFL player starts in 2020, not 2019.

If Howard is forced into action at left tackle this year, I think Texans fans will lament the situation. I don’t think he’s a finished product. If you want to be super cynical, you can look at the lack of development the Texans have had from their offensive linemen and wonder if this is the kind of player they should be taking a chance on. Nick Martin, Martinas Rankin to this point, Davenport, Xavier Su’a-Filo … it’s not been pretty.

Howard has a chance to be a starting NFL left tackle. My expectations for 2019 are low.

I had Howard as the #25 player in the entire draft. Looks like the Texans had something similar. How can you be sure another team didn't feel the same way?

Where do you trade back to get this guy? What if you trade back just a few spots and someone takes him at #24?

If you like the player you draft him. Draft pick "value" is a made up term by the media to justify their useless rankings. A pick and player are worth whatever a team is willing to spend on them. Clearly, Howard's value was much higher than the media thought.

Bwhahaha did you really .

ok,so minority owners are not allowed in the war room but are made privy to all the almost deals that may have happened? And the Texans didn't trade down to where because they didn't get an extra 4th in addition to what?

Minority owners are not allowed in the draft room without prior approval from the Majority owner. Cal, Bob and Janice never stay in the War Room the entire time and go back and forth between the rooms. Once the pick is made they will mingle with other owners, guests and Sponsors. Once the pick was made they usually leave the warm room to talk with the guests and family.

Browns offered 2019 2nd rounder and 2020 first for our pick. We wanted their 4th rounder in 2019 too. I believe they wanted Sweat but I don't know that for a fact.

Minority owners are not allowed in the draft room without prior approval from the Majority owner. Cal, Bob and Janice never stay in the War Room the entire time and go back and forth between the rooms. Once the pick is made they will mingle with other owners, guests and Sponsors. Once the pick was made they usually leave the warm room to talk with the guests and family.

Browns offered 2019 2nd rounder and 2020 first for our pick. We wanted their 4th rounder in 2019 too. I believe they wanted Sweat but I don't know that for a fact.

:ok:

very short-sighted on Gaine's part if that is true, imo. Did Bob/Janice say why he declined? 5th not high enough?

Freaking should have taken that

I had Howard as the #25 player in the entire draft. Looks like the Texans had something similar. How can you be sure another team didn't feel the same way?

Where do you trade back to get this guy? What if you trade back just a few spots and someone takes him at #24?

If you like the player you draft him. Draft pick "value" is a made up term by the media to justify their useless rankings. A pick and player are worth whatever a team is willing to spend on them. Clearly, Howard's value was much higher than the media thought.

Lots of name people fell in the draft so what's that tell you . All 32 teams see the same things . Whether it's injury or projection , they're still there .

Jawaan Taylor 6-5 312 5.35e Florida JR
Dalton Risner 6-4.5 312 5.30c Kansas State SR C
Greg Little 6-5 320 5.33c Mississippi JR
Yodny Cajuste 6-4.5 312 5.20e West Virginia SR
David Edwards 6-6 308 5.28c Wisconsin
Bobby Evans 6-4.5 312 5.20c Oklahoma JR
Chuma Edoga 6-3.5 308 5.19c Southern California

Greedy Williams 6-1.7 185 4.37c LSU RSO
Byron Murphy 5-10.6 190 4.55c Washington RSO X
Rock Ya-Sin 5-11.5 192 4.51c Temple SRJustin
Layne 6-1.5 192 4.50c Michigan State JR
Julian Love 5-10.6 195 4.54c Notre Dame

Bwhahaha did you really .
Really.
Here are my first rounds grades for this year's draft. I haven't had as much time to study guys in the later rounds this year but I've gotten pretty comfortable with the guys in the first 3-4 rounds.

I have 20 guys rated solidly in the first round this year, which is pretty normal. Most drafts have between 18-24. I have them rated in a numerical order but that really doesn't matter so much. It's just a way of ordering the tier. All of these guys are worth a first round pick.

FIRST ROUND GRADE
1. Josh Allen – EDGE, Kentucky
2. Quinnen Williams – DL, Alabama
3. T.J. Hockenson – TE, Iowa
4. Brian Burns – EDGE, Florida St
5. Nick Bosa – EDGE, Ohio St
6. Ed Oliver – DL, Houston
7. Clelin Ferrell – EDGE, Clemson
8. Devin White – LB, LSU
9. Andre Dillard – OT, Washington St
10. Montez Sweat – EDGE, Mississippi St
11. Devin Bush – LB, Michigan
12. Jonah Williams – OT, Alabama
13. Garrett Bradbury – OL, North Carolina St
14. Dwayne Haskins – QB, Ohio St
15. Andy Isabella – WR, Massachusetts
16. Byron Murphy – CB, Washington
17. N’Keal Harry – WR, Arizona St
18. Christian Wilkins – DL, Clemson
19. A.J. Brown – WR, Mississippi
20. Juan Thornhill – S, Virginia

This next group of guys are my fringe guys. These guys are not necessarily first round talents, but you could definitely make an argument for taking them in the first round once your top 20 are gone or if one of these guys hits a definite need and you can't move back in the draft at all.

FRINGE FIRST ROUNDERS
21. Julian Love – CB, Notre Dame
22. Jeffery Simmons – DL, Mississippi St
23. Greedy Williams – CB, LSU
24. Jerry Tillery – DL, Notre Dame
25. Tytus Howard – OT, Alabama St
26. Deandre Baker – CB, Georgia
27. Noah Fant – TE, Iowa
28. Rashan Gary – DL, Michigan
29. Darnell Savage – S, Maryland
30. Jawaan Taylor – OT, Florida
31. Kyler Murray – QB, Oklahoma
32. Josh Jacobs – RB, Alabama
33. Dexter Lawrence – DL, Clemson
34. Cody Ford – OL, Oklahoma
35. Hakeem Butler – WR, Iowa St
36. D.K. Metcalf – WR, Mississippi

:ok:

very short-sighted on Gaine's part if that is true, imo. Did Bob/Janice say why he declined? 5th not high enough?

I agree with you. I would of taken the trade even without the 4th. From what I understand the Texan had 3 Main draft Goals and one of those was to replace the 4th rounder they lost in the Thomas trade. The other was to find someone who they believed could play LT.

I agree with you. I would of taken the trade even without the 4th. From what I understand the Texan had 3 Main draft Goals and one of those was to replace the 4th rounder they lost in the Thomas trade. The other was to find someone who they believed could play LT.

Hard to believe they gave up a 1st next year because they couldn't get a 4th this year

I wasn't feeling that bad until I read the Texans tried and failed to trade up.

They would mean they had Dillard graded decently higher and this was then probably a need pick

It would have been more enticing when the Browns sucked. Look for that pick to be in the mid 20's. And 26 picks is a long way to go down this year. Hard to believe the Browns balked over a 4th rounder if they really wanted to make the deal.
Lots of name people fell in the draft so what's that tell you . All 32 teams see the same things . Whether it's injury or projection , they're still there .

Jawaan Taylor 6-5 312 5.35e Florida JR
Dalton Risner 6-4.5 312 5.30c Kansas State SR C
Greg Little 6-5 320 5.33c Mississippi JR
Yodny Cajuste 6-4.5 312 5.20e West Virginia SR
David Edwards 6-6 308 5.28c Wisconsin
Bobby Evans 6-4.5 312 5.20c Oklahoma JR
Chuma Edoga 6-3.5 308 5.19c Southern California

Greedy Williams 6-1.7 185 4.37c LSU RSO
Byron Murphy 5-10.6 190 4.55c Washington RSO X
Rock Ya-Sin 5-11.5 192 4.51c Temple SRJustin
Layne 6-1.5 192 4.50c Michigan State JR
Julian Love 5-10.6 195 4.54c Notre Dame

Today is when you will see the RUN on CB's. I bet 9-10 will go off the Board in round 2 and know the Texans want one.

My information is as good as yours. Quit attacking the poster.
I'm not attacking you. Just your absurd suggestion. I have no information. Just the facts of the drafts deals actually made. Where is your information?

Last edited:
I am indifferent. I'll wait and see. We'll see how good our positional coaches are because the guy will be a bit of a project. Seems to have a lot of upside but that falls onto coaching and the players personal drive. We'll see. It was definitely a position of need so they at least understand the issue at hand instead of ignoring it the way they did previously deciding to rely solely on Watson's mobility.

Today is when you will see the RUN on CB's. I bet 9-10 will go off the Board in round 2 and know the Texans want one.
I bet you're right. I see a major run on the secondary in Round 2 and a run on O-linemen in Round 3.

Hard to believe they gave up a 1st next year because they couldn't get a 4th this year

My personal opinion is it had much more to do with who they felt would be gone by then in the 2nd round.
I bet you're right. I see a major run on the secondary in Round 2 and a run on O-linemen in Round 3.

Raiders have already had 2 offers for their 2nd rounder. If they keep it, I bet they go CB. I look for the Browns to be trading up for a Corner too. Colts will take a CB with one of their picks too.

My personal opinion is it had much more to do with who they felt would be gone by then in the 2nd round.

With 3 2nd's they would have plenty of ammo to trade back up to where they thought they needed to be and still have an extra first next year in the bank

Raiders have already had 2 offers for their 2nd rounder. If they keep it, I bet they go CB. I look for the Browns to be trading up for a Corner too. Colts will take a CB with one of their picks too.
I just did a little 2nd day mock through the Texans pick @86, and had all of those teams taking a corner in Round 2. Plus, 7 other teams including the Texans.

With 3 2nd's they would have plenty of ammo to trade back up to where they thought they needed to be and still have an extra first next year in the bank
We question whether Devlin can develop young o-linemen. Maybe, we should question Gaine's ability to maneuver in the draft? May not be his strong point, right now.

Reactions: JB
I just did a little 2nd day mock through the Texans pick @86, and had all of those teams taking a corner in Round 2. Plus, 7 other teams including the Texans.

Who was available for you at the Texans Pick at CB? Who did you end up taking with the Texans picks?

No Agenda with them that I could possibly see. Very nice people. I'm sure some of the proposed trades will start leaking after the draft too. They always do.

Then God save the Texans fans because the new GM is more of an idiot than the older 2

If the rumor of the Browns is true, we could have had the number 1 pick from us and the 27th pick from the Browns next year.

:kitten:

If the rumor of the Browns is true, we could have had the number 1 pick from us and the 27th pick from the Browns next year.

:kitten:

sorry, I ain't that drumk nor that pessimistic yet

Arizona will take one with their first pick; I would be wondering about Ppat

Back