Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2019 1.23 TYTUS HOWARD OT Alabama State

Are you happy with our first round pick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I do enjoy that the people with the strongest negative personal opinions on Howard built those opinions by just copying other people's opinions. The people who have actually personally done homework on this kid all like him.

And why exactly is he a huge project? Because he played at a small school? His technique is actually really clean. He has some things to clean up with his upper body but it's strength related. His biggest issue is actually that he gained a ton of weight really fast and his strength level hasn't caught up to his size yet. It will. But that doesn't mean he requires excess coaching to succeed. He needs a pro strength program. He's getting one.

Actually sit down and study Howard and then sit down and actually study Greg Little. Stop parroting what other people say. Do that and then try to say with a straight face that Howard is a bigger project than Little.

This reminds me of the Duane Brown pick. Everybody was pissed for taking a supposedly 3rd round pick in the 1st round. But it turned out ok.

Maybe so, but my issue isn’t necessarily with the player, it’s the value of the player with regards to where he was taken.

I sure as shit don’t remember what Brown’s draft grade or projections were, but could he have been taken later and the Texans could have ended up with Brown AND say a Calais Campbell? Bad example that year though because the Texans didn't have a 2nd round pick, but they do this year and my point is, couldn't they have taken their pick of any of the top corners that were sitting there and still picked up Howard today?

Look, the draft is a crapshoot. There will be plenty of these guys taken yesterday that won't amount to anything. Happens every single year. But when you take into account the talent evaluation and development process from the Texans under OB the last 5 years, and then they grab a project in the 1st freaking round, it's just very Texan-ish, blah, boring, no excitement whatsoever.

And I don't give a shit that people didn't like the Watt pick. That has more to do with "their guy" not being taken. Watt went in the ballpark of where he was supposed to. I'm not sure that's the case here with Howard, even if he does turn out to be a great player.

Gaine showed lots of patience. Glad he held his water and kept his draft picks.

I was disappointed at first when GB took Risner.. But then the realization that there is probably a better chance Howard improves his pass pro than there is that Risner learns how to run block. At least I have myself believing that.

For all we 'wannabes' know our board may have had Howard rated higher than Risner? idonno:

Gonna get two more good players today. DB and RB ?? Maybe Gaine can find a good Edge player still out there?

:coffee:

GB didn't take an OL last night... Philly did take Dillard and the Falcons McCary. Could you be thinking one of those?

I do enjoy that the people with the strongest negative personal opinions on Howard built those opinions by just copying other people's opinions. The people who have actually personally done homework on this kid all like him.

And why exactly is he a huge project? Because he played at a small school? His technique is actually really clean. He has some things to clean up with his upper body but it's strength related. His biggest issue is actually that he gained a ton of weight really fast and his strength level hasn't caught up to his size yet. It will. But that doesn't mean he requires excess coaching to succeed. He needs a pro strength program. He's getting one.

Actually sit down and study Howard and then sit down and actually study Greg Little. Stop parroting what other people say. Do that and then try to say with a straight face that Howard is a bigger project than Little.
Couldn't agree more! Little was my favorite, but I really like Howard. I think both need to get stronger in the run game, but were beasts in pass pro.

No, I'm not happy with first round pick. Nothing against Howard but he was rated the 6th best O lineman, while Jawaan Taylor, who is rated the top OL prospect (by several sites), was still available. Not to mention Cody Ford, Greg Little and Dalton Risner

It's clear that these so-called expert web sites - Walter football, SI, rotoworld, etc... - don't use the same criteria of value that NFL teams do. I would like to think that Brian Gaine knows something that others don't.

So you’re not happy with the pick b/c all the other draft websites had others rated higher....which would mean that you value their opinions over the FO’s? Im trying to understand your logic here.

I wish I could like this 500 times... this board never fails to amaze

Quinnen Williams was a project?

Your point?

They're almost all projects entering the NFL.

Some moreso than others, particularly coming from the SWAC.

Hopefully this guy has a career like Payton/Rice/Ware.

But I will have to see it before I believe it.

Lets be honest, the Texans haven't earned the benefit of the doubt with the players they've selected to play on the OL during BOB's tenure.

Not true at all. He had zero issues run blocking in college. The issue was coming from a system with the extra wide splits and very limited reps in the run game and how that would translate.

Has nothing to do with him being a poor run blocker.

Maybe the wording I used was too pointed, however here is the same scouting profile site I used upthread for Howard to stay consistent.

https://www.cover1.net/nfl-draft-scouting-report-andre-dillard-lt-washington-state/

Relevant quoted material on Dillard’s run blocking.

• Run game
    • Didn’t play in an offense that ran the ball often
      • Physicality lacking, more of a finesse blocker
      • Running game not a priority, so overall technique is shoddy
      • Bad footwork on combo blocks, galloping in out of control, overstepping the half-man relationship, causing the combination block to be ineffective
    • Not a physical drive blocker, no leg drive
    • Trouble staying engaged in all run game concepts
      • Average to below average grip strength
      • Defenders with length and power can land an initial blow to inside shoulder to disrupt run blocking concept
    • As a puller, struggled to read whether he should ‘kick out’ defender or ‘log’ him inside
      • Slow approach to defenders when asked to pull; doesn’t ‘run through’ blocks. Creates issues for running back’s read of leverage.

So you’re not happy with the pick b/c all the other draft websites had others rated higher....which would mean that you value their opinions over the FO’s? Im trying to understand your logic here.

Given the FO's OL selections in the past (Looking at you Davenport/XSF/Backup FA's) I can certainly understand Toro Bravo's sentiment.

Your point?

They're almost all projects entering the NFL.

Some moreso than others, particularly coming from the SWAC.

Hopefully this guy has a career like Payton/Rice/Ware.

But I will have to see it before I believe it.

Lets be honest, the Texans haven't earned the benefit of the doubt with the players they've selected to play on the OL during BOB's tenure.

The post you quoted

You coulda been a J.E.T.S. fan last night …. they are sick.

alluded that the JETS fans did something note worthy last night. I was curious as to what as I didn't see anything. Did you? Are you just looking for someone to disagree with you so you can make some more snide comments?

Who is assigning the value? Texans stayed true to their board imo

This is what gets me. No matter the situation, value is always relative. Most who are panning this pick are doing so b/c the other draft gurus had Howard rated outside of the top 5 of their rankings. others are doing so b/c they just don’t know the kid.

Admittedly when the pick came thru, I had a WTF look on my face. But after looking at a little film and understanding that my reaction was purely b/c I hadn’t heard of him mentioned by anyone at all as a possible pick for us I calmed down a bit.

Plus 2, o-linemen picks are almost always not very exciting picks for fans.

This is what gets me. No matter the situation, value is always relative. Most who are panning this pick are doing so b/c the other draft gurus had Howard rated outside of the top 5 of their rankings. others are doing so b/c they just don’t know the kid.

Admittedly when the pick came thru, I had a WTF look on my face. But after looking at a little film and understanding that my reaction was purely b/c I hadn’t heard of him mentioned by anyone at all as a possible pick for us I calmed down a bit.

Plus 2, o-linemen picks are almost always not very exciting picks for fans.
If he turns in to an All-Pro it will not matter. Same thing happened with Brown. He has the tools, can he develop? We shall see (I think he can)

I haven’t changed my thoughts on this pick. Either Tytus starts right away and Watson pays the price or he sits for a year while an inferior o-line coach tinkers with him.

If there was a chance for the Texans to nab a more polished protector for Watson they should have taken it.

I wish I could like this 500 times... this board never fails to amaze

I swear I'm living in a time machine. This is Watt/DB all over again.

Remember when Khalil Mack was a "reach" and a "project" because he played at Buffalo? I do too. I ranked him #1 in that draft class. Said over and over that I would draft him over Clowney. I got almost as much heat for that as @Texian did for all his Bortles hoopla. This feels similar. These other guys are somehow "safer" because they played at bigger schools. Study the player yourself before you make a decision.

Had to sleep on it. I would be perfectly fine with this pick if we didn’t have BoB and Devlin trying to coach him. They can’t develop O-line for ****.

Given the FO's OL selections in the past (Looking at you Davenport/XSF/Backup FA's) I can certainly understand Toro Bravo's sentiment.

If I recall XSF was the highest rated guard when he came out. Thus far he’s been in 3 different organizations and so far no one has been able to help him put it together...he’s just not that good. That’s the only guy you can really count against them.

Martin looks average...

The FA backups..Fulton looks like he’ll be fine..kelemete looks like he’s overmatched...but they didn’t really pay him much...

The post you quoted

alluded that the JETS fans did something note worthy last night. I was curious as to what as I didn't see anything. Did you? Are you just looking for someone to disagree with you so you can make some more snide comments?

What snide comments have I made?

I just said they took a project in the 1st rd like the J.E.T.S used to do. Wouldn't you agree that Howard is a project with a suspect OL coach he's going to be learning the tricks of the trade from?

I am coming around on this pick. TBH I didn't even know his name when he was selected, but wouldn't doubt it if multiple teams had Howard as the #1 tackle. I wasn't a fan of Dillard, Taylor or Little for different reasons. IMO raw is a bonus when it is because of inexperience since you get a very clean slate for a gifted athlete. He could surprise and be ready before the start of the season. Learning is much quicker than unlearning. I am always against selecting lineman who have been playing the position since high school and have sloppy technique because they could always dominate with size. Those guys are always over drafted and under perform.

Still think Risner is the best tackle in the class but happy with Howard after doing some research.

If I recall XSF was the highest rated guard when he came out. Thus far he’s been in 3 different organizations and so far no one has been able to help him put it together...he’s just not that good. That’s the only guy you can really count against them.

Martin looks average...

The FA backups..Fulton looks like he’ll be fine..kelemete looks like he’s overmatched...but they didn’t really pay him much...

They haven't developed on above avg OL in 5 yrs and they draft a guy who's nothing but a talent that needs to be developed more than any other OL in the 1st rd. You feel comfortable with this? I sure dont but hopefully I'm wrong about Devlin

I haven’t changed my thoughts on this pick. Either Tytus starts right away and Watson pays the price or he sits for a year while an inferior o-line coach tinkers with him.

If there was a chance for the Texans to nab a more polished protector for Watson they should have taken it.

Spot on

And said in just a few words.

Wade Smith
✔@Smitty74allday

I like Tytus Howard and his potential. His ceiling is higher than most of the guys that play tackle in this draft. That being said, he has to have time to develop. Manage your expectations on him early #Texans fans.

Jim Nagy
✔@JimNagy_SB

Great pick by the @texans! Just because you don’t know his name doesn’t mean he wasn’t the right pick. Tytus Howard has a very high ceiling. Proved he could play against top competition at @seniorbowl. We don’t sleep on HBCUs. Darius Leonard last year and Tytus this year.

Reactions: JB
They haven't developed on above avg OL in 5 yrs and they draft a guy who's nothing but a talent that needs to be developed more than any other OL in the 1st rd. You feel comfortable with this? I sure dont but hopefully I'm wrong about Devlin

It's funny because we talked about most really good LT had a 5.0 foty and a 30" vertical in common . The 3 guys who hit those numbers were Dillard , Howard , and Kaleb McGary . All 3 were 1st rounders .

I love Howard as the a Texan. I just wish the Front office traded back to get him. They left value on the table at least a 4th rounder in my opinion.

What snide comments have I made?

I just said they took a project in the 1st rd like the J.E.T.S used to do. Wouldn't you agree that Howard is a project with a suspect OL coach he's going to be learning the tricks of the trade from?

"your point?"

Your reply had nothing to do with the question I asked about last night!!! Geez

What makes u think he needs to be developed more than any other OL?

Because he played at a small school? Nothing I’ve seen shows that he needs that much more attention than any other prospect making the jump from college to the pros.

I love Howard as the a Texan. I just wish the Front office traded back to get him. They left value on the table at least a 4th rounder in my opinion.

Perhaps they got no solid offers in the 6 minutes they had

How does everyone feel the morning after? I wasn't fully on board with the pick but I've come around quite a bit.
I like the pick. He played the "blind side" which for Alabama State was the right side with their left handed QB. But he also had playing time on the left with right handed QB's. Unlike Dillard, he's accomplished at run blocking. There were a lot of prospects on the board; this is the player they wanted. Now let a C/G fall to us in the 2nd. Two I like are Elgton Jenkins and Connor McGovern.

Did you read that LZ quote ? …. It just rubbed me the wrong way.

Here it is in case you missed it.

He's kinda out of context , I don't think any of us think he's a bad player , just that they could have gotten better value at the pick than a guy ranked between 58-91 with the 23rd pick , especially when no corners or WR's had been taken & you have a gaping hole at one of those and minor need for the other …. and if you are afraid he's gone by 54/55 move back up and get him …. Unless of course you feel like this guy is gonna be the second coming of Bruce Matthews or Willie Roaf and you just cant take that chance , then by all means take him #23.

Maybe he's specifically referring to Jeff from twitter in his quote? I don't follow him but wondering if it might be a response directly to a guy he's had some back and forth with?

Its 10 minutes. And they had one offer for sure and probably more. I think it says a lot about how they view Howard and how they view Greg Little..

Ok, I was going from when the previous pick was announced to their pick. What 'for sure' offer did they have? What was it?

What makes u think he needs to be developed more than any other OL?

Because he played at a small school? Nothing I’ve seen shows that he needs that much more attention than any other prospect making the jump from college to the pros.

The cons = small college .

The pros = walked on as a QB , changed tp TE , changed again to OL . Dude just wants to play football . That's a major positive .

Has the physical talent to be a LT .

Seems like a smart , humble guy who is on cloud nine .

As for the disappointment in some , there's no guarantees he'll be Walter Jones or Robert Gallery .

Last edited:
Ok, I was going from when the previous pick was announced to their pick. What 'for sure' offer did they have? What was it?

The for sure offer was from the Browns. But we balked after they refused to include their 4th rounder.

I don’t believe Howard is a huge project. Nobody really knows how he’ll pan out, good or bad. The issue I have is going into this draft the Texans are in desperate straits for a starting caliber corner and a starter or two on the offensive line. At pick #23, in this draft and the way it fell, the Texans should have been able to accomplish more than they did for the near term success of the team. This is not an indictment on Tytus Howard, this is an indictment on the Texans draft process. And really the way they went about the entire offseason, as if “we’re all good, AFC South Champions”.

Maybe so, but my issue isn’t necessarily with the player, it’s the value of the player with regards to where he was taken.

Wow! Another sentence I’ve seen regurgitated every single year since the team was formed.

Keep it up, guys. Y’all are on a roll. :)

Huh? The Packers went from #30 to #21 for two 4ths. A 3rd would have easily got that deal done. The Eagles gave up a 4th and kicked back a 6th to the Ravens to jump 3 picks to get ahead of the Texans. I don't know where you're getting your info or just making it up, but that's obviously false.
My information is as good as yours. Quit attacking the poster.

I had Howard as the #25 player in the entire draft. Looks like the Texans had something similar. How can you be sure another team didn't feel the same way?

Where do you trade back to get this guy? What if you trade back just a few spots and someone takes him at #24?

If you like the player you draft him. Draft pick "value" is a made up term by the media to justify their useless rankings. A pick and player are worth whatever a team is willing to spend on them. Clearly, Howard's value was much higher than the media thought.

I think I’ve read that sentence every single year since the team was formed. :lol:

I don’t doubt you have seen it every year on every teams board. So what, doesn’t make it more or less true. Your statement is like some one saying they don’t want to go out in the rain and then saying someone says that every time it rains. Has nothing to do with the current topic.

And saw more than a few mocks having him gone before 54

Then you’ve been looking at different mocks than me because most I’ve seen had him 3rd. Couple had him even higher all the way to 7th. I’m not basing my statement off of mocks though I’m basing it off of what I saw teams taking and what was still on the board.

I’m not saying I hate the pick per say but after all the talk about not drafting for need the Eagles shocked them and make a pick that screams “we drafted for need”. That’s not a bad thing, in fact I’m in favor of drafting need over BPA if the two are close at all, but it could make future deals tough if teams think Texans can be rattled when their plans get derailed.

My question, which we will never know, was Howard their second choice at 23, in which case I’m fine with it, or did they panic and take him as a last second choice. They will never convince me he was their first choice in round 1.

Back