Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

So that one guy who was all wound up over Mumphrey being a rapist probably thinks that this means he's been convicted and is on a bus headed for "NFL Prison" now. Got some big ol' striped clothes on like out of "O Brother Where Art Thou" and working on a chain gang on a Gatorade Plantation or some such crazy BS. Making Bobble-Heads for free Texans giveaways.

Last edited:
Agreed on Bullough...

I had a feeling this was coming ever since his suspension was announced

I really hoped he'd be something special but he never really became the guy. Not sure why it never came together but I thought he'd be like "Bargain Cushing 2.0" early on. Then he did nothing much at all.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 5m5 minutes ago
adn a solid career
The work of Shakeel Rashad and Dylan Cole over the past few weeks made this move even easier from Max Bullough. #Texans
I'm really pulling for Cole, got a sentimental interest, as I'm from Missouri and my brother and his family live in Springfield, Mo where Cole went to school (Missoursi State) which is small-time college ball.
But this Cole kid established the measurables at a terrific pro day and he had a solid college career. Anyway some were surprised he wasn't drafted on the third day but that small college resume is a handicap.

Looking forward to seeing what Wendell Williams does with the extra time. Williams is still one my surprise picks for the off-season...hope he runs with the chance.

Who is Next to Step Up with the Departures of Max Bullough and Keith Mumphery

Patrick Starr
1:07 PM
With the Houston Texans waiving Keith Mumphery and Max Bullough, who is next for the Houston Texans to step up?

With the Houston Texans set to move on from both Keith Mumphery and Max Bullough (READ HERE), the team is losing two players off of their 53-man roster who have been there the past two seasons. That means that the Texans will be adding two new faces to the roster before the conclusion of OTAs and an opportunity now exists for current players on the roster due to the the new vacancies.

With Mumphery no longer in the mix, the door is wide open for plenty of younger players like Wendall Williams, Riley McCarron, Shaquille Hill, Chris Thompson, Justin Hardee and Deante' Gray. The Texans have two options: either continue the youth movement or add another veteran to the group. With DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Jaelen Strong, and Braxton Miller each assured of a roster spot moving forward, a veteran might be the way to go because of all of the youth on the roster. Right now, the best option for the Texans with such a young group could be to search for a veteran presence.

The Texans felt even more comfortable from moving on from Bullough because of the what they are seeing from second year inside linebacker Shakeel Rashad and rookie Dylan Cole over the past six practices during OTAs. Add in another rookie in Avery Williams and the Texans seem to have more athletic and higher upside options than Bullough to take his roster spot. Rashad, Cole, and Williams are much more explosive than the departed Bullough, which is a plus, but the Texans will have to find the better combination of inside linebacker and special teams player to add behind Brian Cushing, Benardrick McKinney, and Zach Cunningham.

Both Bullough and Mumphery would be fighting for roster spots if they did not have these incidents but the Texans will most definitely have some more new faces on the 53-man roster in 2017 due to their departures.

Potentially an explanation, although you would expect standard graduation to be in the summer.

I agree. The only rationale I could come up with is that they either gave it some cushion room, or just rounded up to the end of the year for whatever reason.
Neither scenario is really a good answer but that's all I could think of

Looking forward to seeing what Wendell Williams does with the extra time. Williams is still one my surprise picks for the off-season...hope he runs with the chance.
he can run just cannot catch. I'm hoping he has improved; with speed like his and Fuller if they catch only 50% defense would have to cover them closely. I had Bullough and Mumphery on my bubble list along with Strong who needs to stay healthy and increase yardage & TDs with his build and strength. I want a "Terrific 3".

Zach Conque is a guy I'm trying to get handle on. Interesting possibility as TE although only played WR a bit in HS.

The evolution of Stephen F. Austin quarterback Zach Conque into a draft prospect has been an educational process, and a time of change.

An athletic dual-threat quarterback for the Lumberjacks, Conque has been thrust into a new position as he auditions for NFL teams as a tight end. He worked out privately for Texans tight ends coach Tim Kelly on Monday.

"I played quarterback all my life," Conque said. "I played a little bit of receiver in high school, but I'm getting used to tight end and I'm enjoying it. I think teams are seeing my athleticism as being more appealing at tight end."

Athleticism isn't in short supply for Conque. His mobility is eye-popping.

A three-time All-Southland Conference selection, the 6-5 4/8, 238-pound native of Little Rock, Arkansas has run the 40-yard dash in 4.55 seconds.

He had a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 6.83 in the L-drill. The L-drill performance would have been the fastest of any tight end at the NFL scouting combine. Conque wasn't invited to the combine, but has been generating a buzz with scouts. As a senior, he passed for 2,201 yards and 15 touchdowns and rushed for 422 yards and 10 scores.
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Stephen-F-Austin-Zach-Conque-enthused-Texans-11069005.php

So that one guy who was all wound up over Mumphrey being a rapist probably thinks that this means he's been convicted and is on a bus headed for "NFL Prison" now. Got some big ol' striped clothes on like out of "O Brother Where Art Thou" and working on a chain gang on a Gatorade Plantation or some such crazy BS. Making Bobble-Heads for free Texans giveaways.

That guy was a fake. It was a troll thread.

Who is Next to Step Up with the Departures of Max Bullough and Keith Mumphery

Patrick Starr
1:07 PM
With the Houston Texans waiving Keith Mumphery and Max Bullough, who is next for the Houston Texans to step up?

With the Houston Texans set to move on from both Keith Mumphery and Max Bullough (READ HERE), the team is losing two players off of their 53-man roster who have been there the past two seasons. That means that the Texans will be adding two new faces to the roster before the conclusion of OTAs and an opportunity now exists for current players on the roster due to the the new vacancies.

With Mumphery no longer in the mix, the door is wide open for plenty of younger players like Wendall Williams, Riley McCarron, Shaquille Hill, Chris Thompson, Justin Hardee and Deante' Gray. The Texans have two options: either continue the youth movement or add another veteran to the group. With DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Jaelen Strong, and Braxton Miller each assured of a roster spot moving forward, a veteran might be the way to go because of all of the youth on the roster. Right now, the best option for the Texans with such a young group could be to search for a veteran presence.

The Texans felt even more comfortable from moving on from Bullough because of the what they are seeing from second year inside linebacker Shakeel Rashad and rookie Dylan Cole over the past six practices during OTAs. Add in another rookie in Avery Williams and the Texans seem to have more athletic and higher upside options than Bullough to take his roster spot. Rashad, Cole, and Williams are much more explosive than the departed Bullough, which is a plus, but the Texans will have to find the better combination of inside linebacker and special teams player to add behind Brian Cushing, Benardrick McKinney, and Zach Cunningham.

Both Bullough and Mumphery would be fighting for roster spots if they did not have these incidents but the Texans will most definitely have some more new faces on the 53-man roster in 2017 due to their departures.

Not sure anyone needs to 'step up to replace replacable players...which the article itself states "fighting for roster spots."

Also, should Strong actually "assured of a roster spot"..I mean he is the closest thing to big body WR at the top of Wr food chain, but he has only flashed even goodness at this point.

I've checked his injury status. I'd still bring him in for a workout and a medical exam. If everything looks good, I'd offer him a very team friendly contract with lots of incentives, such as games played.
He won't go for non guaranteed peanuts. Just watch, he will have stupid money thrown at him sooner than later.

Not sure anyone needs to 'step up to replace replacable players...which the article itself states "fighting for roster spots."

Also, should Strong actually "assured of a roster spot"..I mean he is the closest thing to big body WR at the top of Wr food chain, but he has only flashed even goodness at this point.

In his rookie year, he never took his conditioning seriously. He has been used very sparingly in the past 2 seasons because he just couldn't get his routes down. He was essentially knocked out of play since the beginning of November by his ankle injury and surgery. If his route running doesn't make significant improvement, I doubt that he play much more of a role in the O than in the past. It is not out of the question that he is not on the final roster, especially if his ankle is still an issue.

He won't go for non guaranteed peanuts. Just watch, he will have stupid money thrown at him sooner than later.
As long as it's not the Texans doing it, I'm cool with that. If everything checked out, I'd offer him what I said earlier and let the highest bidder win. I would offer in the range of $2M with incentives up to 4 million. The average WR salary is $1.6M, so that seems reasonable and is hardly a stupid amount of money. Base the incentives on games played, % of offensive snaps played, yards and TDs. Let's say that 14 games played, 65% offensive snaps, 1,000 yds and 8 TDs gets him the $4M total. Those are reasonable and attainable numbers, if he stays healthy and productive. It would also be a nightmare for opposing secondary's IF the OL can give Savage adequate protection. Hopkins, Fuller, Strong and Maclin, being coached by Wes Welker? That will keep opposing coaches and players up at night.

As long as it's not the Texans doing it, I'm cool with that. If everything checked out, I'd offer him what I said earlier and let the highest bidder win. I would offer in the range of $2M with incentives up to 4 million. The average WR salary is $1.6M, so that seems reasonable and is hardly a stupid amount of money. Base the incentives on games played, % of offensive snaps played, yards and TDs. Let's say that 14 games played, 65% offensive snaps, 1,000 yds and 8 TDs gets him the $4M total. Those are reasonable and attainable numbers, if he stays healthy and productive. It would also be a nightmare for opposing secondary's IF the OL can give Savage adequate protection. Hopkins, Fuller, Strong and Maclin, being coached by Wes Welker? That will keep opposing coaches and players up at night.

That would not be an unreasonable structure. However, I believe that he will be willing to be patient and I still believe he will have stupid money thrown at him from elsewhere.........and will probably insist on a multi-year contract.

That would not be an unreasonable structure. However, I believe that he will be willing to be patient and I still believe he will have stupid money thrown at him from elsewhere.........and will probably insist on a multi-year contract.
And that's OK. I'm just saying that you make a fair, team friendly, offer. If he accepts elsewhere, ok. I do play Texas Hold Em on a fairly regularly basis. That's one of the reasons I'm ok with Watson.

Would love to add a vet WR like Maclin to the team but not sure it's in our best interest to throw Maclin big $ while still trying to get Hopkins a long term deal. Throw in Brown holding out and the impending contract of Clowney our excess cap space will be eaten up quickly.

I'm confident in the mix of skill players on the roster. Maclin would be a plus player for us sure but not at the price he's bound to get from someone.

I doubt Maclin will be getting "big money"

Not that I think it would be a good idea to sign him. But we could get him on one of those one year tryout for next year's FAgency kind of deals.

I'll pass on Maclin. He'd just be taking a roster spot away from a younger guy with potential only to most likely wind up hurt and missing significant time.

.....Of course, that means the Texans are probably heavily considering bringing him in.

Reactions: JB
Sounds like Tom Savage, Braxton Miller are making progress
by Paul Jackiewicz1 day agohttps://twitter.com/paul_jackiewicz

Tom Savage and Braxton Miller could help the Houston Texans’ offense take off in 2017.

After looking a little shaky during last week’s OTA’s, Texans’ veteran quarterback Tom Savage seems to be doing better this week.

It sounds like Savage is now settling down and is looking more comfortable with head coach Bill O’Brien’s offense.

Here’s what Patrick Starr of State of the Texans wrote about Savage.

The offense looked much better with Tom Savage running the show. If anything, Savage looks more comfortable with his role as the starting quarterback. That alone has settled him down compared to last week and he was able to throw some nice strikes to receivers. He hit Hopkins early in the day with a quick throw for a touchdown in red-zone work, and he has done a good job of getting the ball out on time.

Of course Savage is expected to be the Texans’ week one starter, but things can always change between now and September.

All Savage needs to do is take care of the football and help move the ball down the field. That’s easier said than done of course.

There are also many questions about whether or not second-year wide receiver Braxton Miller can step up and have a bigger role this coming season.

It sounds like the addition of Wes Welker to the Texans’ coaching staff has been huge for Miller.

Braxton Miller returned to the field and it is clear that he is way more comfortable with the offense and his role in it. He made a nice catch on a ball thrown behind him and was able to turn his body, making the catch in between two defenders. Miller is looking confident getting in and out of his routes. Last season he was able to win one on ones with pure athleticism. Now he is winning with refined route running. It is clear Miller has worked on his craft over the off-season.

Miller has the physical skills to get the job done as a slot receiver. His maturation will come down to how comfortable he is with the offense.

I’ve already written that I don’t believe Miller will take the next step in 2017. But I do see it coming in 2018.

One of the big concerns in past years (even in OTAs) holding Savage back is that he did not get the ball out fast enough. Looks like he is showing signs of improving that deficiency.

Miller, like most of the other WRs did not demonstrate good route running. Looks like he's having positive changes from his concentrated efforts. My main concern re. Miller is his shoulder's ability to hold up.

Sounds like Tom Savage, Braxton Miller are making progress
by Paul Jackiewicz1 day ago

One of the big concerns in past years (even in OTAs) holding Savage back is that he did not get the ball out fast enough. Looks like he is showing signs of improving that deficiency.

Miller, like most of the other WRs did not demonstrate good route running. Looks like he's having positive changes from his concentrated efforts. My main concern re. Miller is his shoulder's ability to hold up.

Hopefully Savage getting 1st team reps improves his confidence and release time. Along with our young WRs becoming more polished route runners. With Welker on board the slot receiver position is going to be a priority this year which means we should see more quick rhythm passes to get the ball out quicker. Get the QB in a rhythm, take pressure off the OL not having to block for long developing routes, and above all else... score more points!

Texans get an offseason grade of D.

Grade: D

Getting out from under the Brock Osweiler contract required creativity and the Texans' willingness to part with a second-round pick. That was a victory, but it didn't necessarily make the Texans better, especially with their defense suffering personnel losses that could put additional pressure on the offense.

"I view Houston as the worst team in the AFC South, going from the best to the worst," an evaluator said. "It is not like the jump was that big because they were only a nine-win team to begin with. Their defense is still kind of there, but it isn't, because they did lose A.J. Bouye. Their front seven is obviously really good, but their back end is a huge question mark. I have them as the worst safety group in the entire NFL right now, so corner and safety is a giant liability for them."

Maneuvering to select quarterback Deshaun Watson in the first round could ultimately make 2017 a pivot point for Houston. It's just hard to bank on most rookie quarterbacks emerging in the short term.

"I view Houston as the worst team in the AFC South. ... Their defense is still kind of there, but it isn't, because they did lose A.J. Bouye."

An NFL evaluator

"I think the other AFC South teams had good offseasons," an evaluator said. "The idea of Houston doing absolutely nothing is going to be interesting to see how that works out."
I guess this evaluator doesn't know who JJo, KJax and KJo are. Those are 3 pretty good cornerbacks. I don't think the Texans safeties are nearly as bad as this guy does.

Texans get an offseason grade of D.

I guess this evaluator doesn't know who JJo, KJax and KJo are. Those are 3 pretty good cornerbacks. I don't think the Texans safeties are nearly as bad as this guy does.

Yup, lost me entirely with Bouye who would have entered the season as our #4 corner. A loss certainly, but to focus on that instead of the return of Watt and the replacement in the middle of Wilfork is silly. Moving Cushing outside and adding rookie speed inside gives a potential in many ways (turnovers and negative plays should be HUGE) that we've lacked for a while.

On a personal note I'm a major fan of Dick Lebeau and am curious what he can do, despite his team being a rival. No other defense has the talent or coaching to come close to what we're bringing though. A healthy squad (assuming McKinney and Cunningham are competent of course) is head and shoulders the best defense in the league.

Edit: ESPN link - wants me to follow other links that my blocker doesn't seem to like.

According to Pat's podcast, Kendall Lamm and Stephen Anderson have had subpar/disappointing camps up to this point. OTA’s is no pads, so it’s mostly passing drills (DBs vs WRs and TEs). In respect to the Kendall Lamm part, he was seeing first team reps with Brown’s holdout and Chris Clark resting. He was being beat by UDFA’s.

Also, He also said on his podcast that Watson is farther along in O'Brien's system than Fitz/Mallet/Savage/Brock were this far into their first offseason's with the team

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1782024-podcast-second-week-of-otas

Last edited:
Yup, lost me entirely with Bouye who would have entered the season as our #4 corner. A loss certainly, but to focus on that instead of the return of Watt and the replacement in the middle of Wilfork is silly. Moving Cushing outside and adding rookie speed inside gives a potential in many ways (turnovers and negative plays should be HUGE) that we've lacked for a while.

On a personal note I'm a major fan of Dick Lebeau and am curious what he can do, despite his team being a rival. No other defense has the talent or coaching to come close to what we're bringing though. A healthy squad (assuming McKinney and Cunningham are competent of course) is head and shoulders the best defense in the league.

Edit: ESPN link - wants me to follow other links that my blocker doesn't seem to like.

yup, any evaluator that thinks our defense worsened doesn't know the Texans. Sure we lost our #4 corner, and (one of our starting OLB's) and he did have a great year due to injuries, but he (they) are totally discounting the return of not only Watt (which will distract opposing offense's for at least half a year even if he's not MVP caliber any longer) but also of KJo ( which will be huge IMHO) but also the addition of Cunningham. Unless heath of the defense (or 2010 type bad fortune) derails it, I think we will see something special.

yup, any evaluator that thinks our defense worsened doesn't know the Texans. Sure we lost our #4 corner, and (one of our starting OLB's) and he did have a great year due to injuries, but he (they) are totally discounting the return of not only Watt (which will distract opposing offense's for at least half a year even if he's not MVP caliber any longer) but also of KJo ( which will be huge IMHO) but also the addition of Cunningham. Unless heath of the defense (or 2010 type bad fortune) derails it, I think we will see something special.

I think a broken Cushing is twice the player that Simon was - with my assumption that this is where Cushing's headed. Cushing as an edge setter, outside rush/stunt and turn+run is too obvious (to me).

With a good offense, which we don't have, the defense is good enough to help us win a SB, which we won't because of the offense. Not the defense.

We'll make the playoffs with an early exit as usual.

With a good offense, which we don't have, the defense is good enough to help us win a SB, which we won't because of the offense. Not the defense.

We'll make the playoffs with an early exit as usual.

Now that sounds like the Thorn we all know.

For your own health and peace of mind I suggest you resist any more temptations to enter into the NSZ.

Not safe for senior citizens or the faint of heart :)

Quick quiz that all entrants into the NSZ should take.

3. I feel it is very difficult for me to express myself in words that others can understand.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

5. I believe in more than one thing about reality and the world around me that nobody else seems to believe in.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

6. Others don't believe me when I tell them the things I see or hear.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

8. I have magical powers that nobody else has or can explain.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

11. I am treated unfairly because others are jealous of my special abilities.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

:coffee:

Last edited:
Now that sounds like the Thorn we all know.

For your own health and peace of mind I suggest you resist any more temptations to enter into the NSZ.

Not safe for senior citizens or the faint of heart :)

Quick quiz that all entrants into the NSZ should take.

3. I feel it is very difficult for me to express myself in words that others can understand.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

5. I believe in more than one thing about reality and the world around me that nobody else seems to believe in.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

6. Others don't believe me when I tell them the things I see or hear.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

8. I have magical powers that nobody else has or can explain.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

11. I am treated unfairly because others are jealous of my special abilities.
Not at all
Just a little
Somewhat
Moderately
Quite a lot
All the time

:coffee:

Nothing about mangos?

patrick‏Verified account @PatDStat 2h2 hours ago

*Deshaun Watson is progressing with the arrow pointing up. Every practice he has come out and gotten better. Today was clearly his best day.

*Watson has plenty to work on as a NFL quarterback but can see the vast improvement since rookie mini-camp. So much more to do.

*Also, Tom Savage threw the ball with purpose today. 1st team reps are helping his game as a player. Clearly the top option at this point.
Brian Standefer @BStan07
Disregarding an injury to Savage, what % do you put on Watson starting wk 1? *What is a realistic Wk. during season we see Watson?

It is going to be Tom Savage unless something falls off the rails.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat

.@JaelenStrong doing work today at OTAs. #Texans

DBqzkI-U0AEgCYn.jpg

JH's 15 observations:

1. The three quarterbacks found a groove and stayed in it throughout the remainder of practice. I went back and looked in my notebook after practice and I wrote down “seed” or “laser” at least once for each of the QBs. In my parlance, that means each guy threw a pass with some sauce on it for a completion. Tight RPMs. On point. Completion. I thought all three guys had a number of stellar moments throwing the football.

2. Tom Savage spread the wealth out to each of the receivers at all levels on the field effectively. He frustrated the defense with throws all over the field, but his best throw had to be a quick inside throw to birthday boy DeAndre Hopkins. I mean, he put the cross of the football on the 1 and 0 of Hop’s jersey.

6. Deshaun Watson appeared to be even more comfortable than he was the two previous practices we saw. He was decisive and threw the ball with some serious RPMs. There was all this noise on social media channels after the combine that he “only” threw the ball so many MPH. Watching him throw the ball on Wednesday reminded me that there’s way too much time between the end of the regular season and the draft because we, draft analysts and the sort, find some stupid stuff to talk about during that period.

7. Watson’s best throw of the day though was one where he was scrambling to his left and found rookie Justin Hardee for the toe-drag-swag catch on the sideline. It’s the type of throw that is NOT easily executed because the QB is on the run and all his momentum is one direction and the throw has to be just perfect. All that said, Watson threw it right on the money for the first down to Hardee.

8. Watson hit receivers at all different levels, including Will Fuller down the field for a deep touchdown. Speaking of Fuller…

9. The former Notre Dame star appears to be so much more confident than this time last year. He runs excellent routes, which is something he doesn’t get enough credit for, but because he’s so much more comfortable in this offense and with his responsibilities, he’s smooth in and out of his cuts on his routes. That comfort will hopefully manifest itself in even more production in 2017 short, middle and deep down the field.

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...ans-OTAs/e5821535-52e6-4bf5-8507-def847f08f95

Back