Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

PatDStat mailbag:
http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1783807-mailbag-houston-texans-wrap-otas

"Bill O’Brien will try and take advantage of each of their skill sets. That is what good coaches do and something that George Godsey could not capitalize on the past few seasons as offensive coordinator. O’Brien has a better idea on how to make the offense work based on personnel. "

Really tired of the excuses. O'Brien wasn't the OC, but neither was Kubiak. It was his responsibility.

"It will take actual game reps during the regular season to if things have changed for Savage on the field. "

I felt Savage already had a better command of the offense than Osweiler. Not sure why the org seems so down on Savage.

"Jaelen Strong is one of the more interesting players of the wide receiver group. Here is what we know with Strong: when he touches the football good things happen. Going back and looking at film, he has been productive with the football in his hand. "

The problem is Jaelen can't get open.

"Braxton Miller has been one of the bright spots during OTAs and he worked hard to add some NFL muscle and improve as a wide receiver during the off-season. Add in the help he is receiving from coach Wes Welker and it is clear that Miller is understanding the offense and how his role is set up to be played in the Texans scheme.

Miller is the starting slot wide receiver and that is exactly why the Texans drafted him in the 3rd round in the 2016 NFL Draft. This will not be an overnight fix for Miller as he is still adapting to his position change, but he has looked much more comfortable in his role with the offense so far. "

I think Braxton and Fuller can have breakout years if we have some consistency at QB.

I felt Savage already had a better command of the offense than Osweiler. Not sure why the org seems so down on Savage.

I don't think they are "down" on him. I think they obviously do not view him as the future franchise qb.

But these guys see things we don't see so they should have a better idea about what each guy brings.

But what exactly has Savage done that has people so excited about him? Even going all the way back to college....what has Savage done?

I don't think they are "down" on him. I think they obviously do not view him as the future franchise qb.

But these guys see things we don't see so they should have a better idea about what each guy brings.

But what exactly has Savage done that has people so excited about him? Even going all the way back to college....what has Savage done?

Well he showed enough to move in the draft and get picked by the Texans. Then enough to winning the starting job last year, and I thought he played competently in his first career starts.

Here's my Savage theory. We hold on to him and keep giving him chances in hopes that he becomes the next Rich Gannon. A guy that whenever he got his chance, he ended up hurt and thus bounced around a bit. When he finally got healthy, Oakland, he lit it up...until he got hurt again. At this point he should have mastered the mental side of things while still ironing out the physical side. Sadly we really only have hope and word of mouth about how well Savage practices as he can't stay on the damn field. Savage will either light it up or be looking over shoulder constantly. Watson is coming for his spot.

Pat Starr claims (around 35 min) that the QB group dominated this last week of OTAs like he’s never seen before in the past 3 yrs under Godsey. He likes how O’Brien is waist deep teaching little details, and repeating plays until they get it right.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1783419-podcast-qbs-own-the-day-andre-hal-1-on-1
I've seen O'Brien do that since he got here. First time I met him up close he stopped what he was doing to come b!tch at the OL for how they were going through their dummy drills. He was pounding on technique.

Well he showed enough to move in the draft and get picked by the Texans. Then enough to winning the starting job last year, and I thought he played competently in his first career starts.

Savage was given the job after Os was so terrible. He didn't win the job since at that point there was no competition. He was simply next in line at that point.

And you missed the point of my post.

I asked what has Savage done that has garnered such excitement?

I'm talking about on field production.

What has He done?

Savage was given the job after Os was so terrible. He didn't win the job since at that point there was no competition. He was simply next in line at that point.

What has He done?

I'm not saying he has done a lot to generate excitement. I'm just saying we drafted him and has outplayed other QBs on the roster.

And continues to outplay other QBs on the roster.

Also, what happened to the whole "O'Brien wanted to start Savage the whole time but Rick made him start Brock" line?

He did not win the starting job last year. Brock performance and attitude is what gave Savage a shot at playing. If Savage did win the job he would've started in the playoffs.

I'm not saying he has done a lot to generate excitement. I'm just saying we drafted him and has outplayed other QBs on the roster.

And continues to outplay other QBs on the roster.

Also, what happened to the whole "O'Brien wanted to start Savage the whole time but Rick made him start Brock" line?

Continuing to outplay other qb's on the roster is debatable.

As far as OB wanting to start him and the FO wanting someone else....heck, if that was true it could still be true for all I know.

But that doesn't really mean anything since OB's qb decisions have been awful at best.

What has He done?

He hasn't done anything. He has his chance now. So let's see if he takes advantage or not

Continuing to outplay other qb's on the roster is debatable.

As far as OB wanting to start him and the FO wanting someone else....heck, if that was true it could still be true for all I know.

But that doesn't really mean anything since OB's qb decisions have been awful at best.

It's debatable, but reports out of camp two years in a row now say he is the best QB in camp.

All the while, the QB position was supposed to be upgraded.

Supposedly, 3 games into the season, O' Brien took over play calling duty.

https://www.google.com/amp/abcnews.go.com/amp/Sports/texans-bill-obrien-takes-offensive-play-calling-duties/story?id=42474563

I know you know, but I'm going to say it anyway.

There's a lot more to OC'ing than calling plays on game day. The stuff he's doing now, through training camp, during the week in the regular season. If that stuff isn't done right from the get go, you're calling plays with one hand tied behind your back.

I don't know that was the case, or the problem. Just trying to make O'b taking over OC duties (so much so that Crennel will be taking over some HC duties) sound like a good thing.

If he won the starting job last year we'd have seen him way before week 16. Osweiler lost the job. Weeden's a red head. Savage got the start.

I've seen O'Brien do that since he got here. First time I met him up close he stopped what he was doing to come b!tch at the OL for how they were going through their dummy drills. He was pounding on technique.

:thinking:

What has He done?
There's only one QB who has actually produced on the field and for whatever reasons, rightly or wrongly, he seems stuck in the outhouse.

Reactions: ROO
So today Friday June 9 is the last day of OTAs, right ? Next week is 3 days of the so called mandatory minicamp and do they wear pads then or still only Shirts & Shorts ?

What has He done?

All Savage has done is be the backup QB on a team with sh!t for QB play.

On the field - Absolutely Nothing.

On a team with bad QB play , the backup QB is usually the most popular guy on the team with the fans.

All Savage has done is be the backup QB on a team with sh!t for QB play.

On the field - Absolutely Nothing.

On a team with bad QB play , the backup QB is usually the most popular guy on the team with the fans.
Agreed. And the fact Tom Savage is entering the final year of his rookie contract. It's a critical time in his professional career. If you ask me right now is he worth re-signing long term, if at all, I would have to say no.

He's shown me very little "on the field" to warrant a lot of confidence in. And to be fair the injuries have greatly held him back. Unfortunately, like any other job in America, if you aren't reliable to perform at a high level on a consistent basis then sooner or later you will be let go.

The only thing Tom Savage has going for him right now is his familiarity with Bill O'Brien's offensive system. And the fact he's a hard worker and good teammate. You always hear how he is the first guy to work and the last one to leave. Tom Savage gets an A+ and is awesome in many of the off-the-field areas you want to see a leader flourish in, but on the field, which is what counts the most, he gets a failing grade.

It's debatable, but reports out of camp two years in a row now say he is the best QB in camp.

I wouldn't put so much stock into those reports. He was not working with the 1st team during those two years. Last years report also said Brock was looking good as well.

Why does he get a failing grade on the field?

I'd say incomplete.

Only 3 games last year, 81 QBRating, 63%, 6.3 y/a, and 0 TD but also 0 INT.

I'd say incomplete.

He's already entering year number four of his career. This is the final year of his rookie contract. It's time for him to show something worthwhile by now. The starting quarterback job has been practically handed to him. He's only played 5 games in his entire career with 0 Touchdown passes.

At some point the inability to stay healthy factors into a failing grade. You can't keep saying "incomplete" when another year goes by. That's another year of his livelihood and life that is gone and you can't get back as well. Every year is very important but especially during a contract year.

I'd say incomplete.

He doesn't get a failing grade "on the field" , I give him an INC there.

The one thing I will point out is that Savage didn't solve the biggest issue with the Texans offence - the inability to put the ball in the endzone instead of settling for FG's. He was just as bad as The Blundering Wizard of Oz in that regard.

Other than that , its an incomplete.

The real issue is the competition he's faced in attaining the starting job - Those guys have been historically bad and he couldn't beat them out. That doesn't give me much confidence going forward that he's going to be any better than they were.

Bottom line , I don't expect much from Savage. He likely plays a few games and is replaced by the rookie and is out of the league in short order.

He's already entering year number four of his career. This is the final year of his rookie contract. It's time for him to show something worthwhile by now. The starting quarterback job has been practically handed to him. He's only played 5 games in his entire career with 0 Touchdown passes.

At some point the inability to stay healthy factors into a failing grade. You can't keep saying "incomplete" when another year goes by. That's another year of his livelihood and life that is gone and you can't get back as well. Every year is very important but especially during a contract year.
everyone gets this BoP but he will get a chance to succeed or fail on field. Let's not judge him based on almost nothing..his season could go either direction. Why shouldn't the starter job be handed to him? Costs nothing now & builds his confidence. Watson could care less. He just wants chance to show his stuff. I'm certain this will be TS last year as a Texan if he cannot perform as a "good" QB or if he loses games to injury.

He doesn't get a failing grade "on the field" , I give him an INC there.

The one thing I will point out is that Savage didn't solve the biggest issue with the Texans offence - the inability to put the ball in the endzone instead of settling for FG's. He was just as bad as The Blundering Wizard of Oz in that regard.

Other than that , its an incomplete.

The real issue is the competition he's faced in attaining the starting job - Those guys have been historically bad and he couldn't beat them out. That doesn't give me much confidence going forward that he's going to be any better than they were.

Bottom line , I don't expect much from Savage. He likely plays a few games and is replaced by the rookie and is out of the league in short order.
agreed but TS was not just competing with QBs but their salaries or experience on field. No one expected him to beat out $37 million dollars guaranteed.

agreed but TS was not just competing with QBs but their salaries or experience on field. No one expected him to beat out $37 million dollars guaranteed.

There has to be a reason they kept bringing in guys that he never had a shot at competing with right?

And then go out and trade valuable assets to move up for a guy in the first Rd?

You guys do realize that Savage will almost have to play out of his mind good (something we've seen no evidence that he can do) in order to remain the starter here right?
Savage just playing ok with some bright spots won't get the job done.

It's possible he's spectacular. But It's a long shot.

There has to be a reason they kept bringing in guys that he never had a shot at competing with right?

And then go out and trade valuable assets to move up for a guy in the first Rd?

You guys do realize that Savage will almost have to play out of his mind good (something we've seen no evidence that he can do) in order to remain the starter here right?
Savage just playing ok with some bright spots won't get the job done.

It's possible he's spectacular. But It's a long shot.
They kept bringing in guys that they hoped to be "the guy" in Hoyer, Osweiler and Mallett. No one expected a rookie Savage to start in 2013. 2014 he was against Mallett who we got for a 6th from Patriots but hope was he be the guy. Mallett shoulder put him on sideline in late November. 2015 it was Mallett vs Hoyer fiasco and Savage went on IR after injury 4th preseason game. 2016 was versus $37 m and Savage had the mysterious concussion that wasn't or was it?

I agree playing 'ok' not gonna do it and never said that. On what we hope this team will be, any QB playing as a "good" Qb should be able to go far. Yes, TS must play better than what we've seen but Texans paid $37 million for a ding dong who had not shown much either. We have Savage, Watson and Weeden for 2017 and nothing much else can be done this season barring some team deciding to dump player for cap space. All of us have an opinion on Savage (and most other Texans) but let's see how it goes.

It's possible O'Brien is completely mis scouting Savage.

I mean he did bring over Mallet and started him in two separate seasons

What happens if Tom Savage suffers some type of serious injury during training camp or the preseason that places him on IR? Are we prepared for the inevitable?

Who would start for us Week 1 under that scenario? Would Bill O'Brien just go with Brandon Weeden because he knows the system better and has more experience, or would Deshaun Watson become the man sooner rather than later?

I'm a little fearful that both Savage and Weeden are playing out a contract year in 2017 and neither projects any long-term security or consistent performance. I'm feeling confident with Deshaun Watson being our franchise quarterback for the long haul, but our depth at quarterback is still sketchy after this season.

I know we shouldn't worry about things we can't control but there's a lot of question marks to me right now. Am I being unreasonable with my concerns?

What happens if Tom Savage suffers some type of serious injury during training camp or the preseason that places him on IR? Are we prepared for the inevitable?

Who would start for us Week 1 under that scenario? Would Bill O'Brien just go with Brandon Weeden because he knows the system better and has more experience, or would Deshaun Watson become the man sooner rather than later?

I'm a little fearful that both Savage and Weeden are playing out a contract year in 2017 and neither projects any long-term security or consistent performance. I'm feeling confident with Deshaun Watson being our franchise quarterback for the long haul, but our depth at quarterback is still sketchy after this season.

I know we shouldn't worry about things we can't control but there's a lot of question marks to me right now. Am I being unreasonable with my concerns?

If Savage gets hurt then whoever OB feels between Weeden and Watson gives us the best chance to win will start.

As for next season we'll have either Savage starting because he played well this year with Watson backing him up or Watson taking over because Savage failed and/or Watson arrived and we'll be looking at a comfortable vet, one of any number of guys who float around year after year, to fill in the gap.

That gap is the least of my worries.

Last edited:
If Savage gets hurt then whoever OB feels between Weeden and Watson gives us the best chance to win will start.

As for next season we'll have either Savage starting because he played well this year with Watson backing him up or Watson taking over because Savage failed and/or Watson arrived and we'll be looking at a comfortable vet, one of any number of guys who float around year after year, to fill in the gap.

That gap is the leader of my worries.

I'm just worried about fixing the starting QB position first... i'd love to wonder who will be our backup for the quality starter though!

They kept bringing in guys that they hoped to be "the guy" in Hoyer, Osweiler and Mallett. No one expected a rookie Savage to start in 2013. 2014 he was against Mallett who we got for a 6th from Patriots but hope was he be the guy. Mallett shoulder put him on sideline in late November. 2015 it was Mallett vs Hoyer fiasco and Savage went on IR after injury 4th preseason game. 2016 was versus $37 m and Savage had the mysterious concussion that wasn't or was it?

I agree playing 'ok' not gonna do it and never said that. On what we hope this team will be, any QB playing as a "good" Qb should be able to go far. Yes, TS must play better than what we've seen but Texans paid $37 million for a ding dong who had not shown much either. We have Savage, Watson and Weeden for 2017 and nothing much else can be done this season barring some team deciding to dump player for cap space. All of us have an opinion on Savage (and most other Texans) but let's see how it goes.

Seems like the major difference in our thought process is the likelihood of Savage taking the starters job and not letting go.

I think he's got quite a few factors working against him, but your're right...We've got no choice but to sit back and see how it goes.

What has He done?

With Savage, you have to read between the lines...b/c that's all you have to work with.

1. Savage may have bounced around in college but he had the size, arm and smarts that teams covet.
2. Savage wasn't an UDFA QB trying to beat long odds at becoming an NFL QB. Texans drafted him RD4.
3. O'Brien has made it clear, he feels that due to the intricacy of his offensive system, rookie QB's would be better served to spend a season on the sideline. So, regardless of injury or not...Savage probably carries the clipboard and becomes accustomed to his non-uniform outfits on Sunday.
4. Texans never risked putting Savage on the PS....there must have been a very distinct reason for this.
5. Savage is injured in Year 2 but not so severely that it would warrant the IR but with the PS as a non-option, IR became the best option to avoid the team using a roster spot during his recovery. O'Brien felt like he had enough veteran QB's on the roster to buy him an extra season.
6. O'Brien and Savage were prepared for their unveiling party in 2016 but McNair and RS had different ideas since McNair wanted the Texans to be the team to host and play in a Super Bowl. So, they knee-jerked and signed Osweiler. Problem, Savage out played Osweiler in camp and could have been named the starting QB but there were 72M reasons why that wasn't going to happen. The 2016 Texans fate was resting squarely on Osweiler's shoulders and he simply failed to deliver.
7. This certainly required RS to put on his thinking cap to get out of the Osweiler mess. This foolish interruption cost Savage his 1st season under center and the Texans gave up a 2018 RD2 pick in the process. Way to go RS!!!
8. Savage is still on the roster entering his 4th season...and with RS no longer meddling with the QB's, Savage will finally get his opportunity to lead the Texans...even though Watson was drafted in RD1. This is the perfect situation for Savage...O'Brien is his HC and OC. O'Brien knows Savage better than anyone else and this presents the best opportunity for him to open his entire playbook for the first time as HC. Savage will also have veterans of 1 or more seasons at all the skill positions.
9. I believe the overall bump in the offense will simply come down to the OL...can they make a jump in quality outings so the running game garners much more attention and they can can take the ball to right side with the same effectiveness as they do to the left. Get over this hump. And I think Savage has more than enough tools and knowledge to manage getting this team over the 9 win bump.

...9. I believe the overall bump in the offense will simply come down to the OL...can they make a jump in quality outings so the running game garners much more attention and they can can take the ball to right side with the same effectiveness as they do to the left. Get over this hump. And I think Savage has more than enough tools and knowledge to manage getting this team over the 9 win bump.
Brown will be starting at LT a year removed from his injury. X... well, is X; no worse than last year. If Martin starts at OC it's because he's stronger/ stouter than Mancz. We could see improved play here. Allen reported in shape and healthy. We will see improved play at RG. Our only weak link on the OL is RT and I can't see our production here being worse than last year. So we should be stronger to the left and up the middle. Overall, we are going to have a better OL this coming season, over last season. Someone mentioned luck in some thread. If we could have a little of this, and we're due, and someone shines at RT, we could possibly have a very good OL.

I know some people are thirsty for a QB and getting hype for Tom Savage who really hasn't shown anything is pretty crazy. Threw over 50% of his passes 10 yards or less. And he didn't look great but some of y'all expect him to be able to ride the defense coat-tail. BUT IT WILL come a time where the defense isn't playing great and will depend on the QB to carry and he's not that at all not one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know some people are thirsty for a QB and getting hype for Tom Savage who really hasn't shown anything is pretty crazy. Threw over 50% of his passes 10 yards or less. And he didn't look great but some of y'all expect him to be able to ride the defense coat-tail. BUT IT WILL come a time where the defense isn't playing great and will depend on the QB to carry and he's not that at all not one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What QB doesn't throw 50% of their passes 10 yards or less?

Back