Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 Houston Texans Official OTA's, Minicamp, and Training Camp Thread

Outside of actual preseason games in Houston and other cities are the Texans scheduled to spend their entire TC in Greenbrier, WV ?
I've heard varying reports. One said that once Pre-season starts, they'll come back home. We'll see I guess.

Aaron Wilson‏Verified account@AaronWilson_NFL 2h2 hours ago

Duane Brown has an annual $250,000 base salary de-escalator clause in his contract if he fails to complete enough offseason workouts

I don't think this happens, but it's interesting to note that if Brown does not get a new contract this year and bypasses workouts, he could possibly start the season $250,000 in the hole. Leverage may have swung back a little.

I don't think this happens, but it's interesting to note that if Brown does not get a new contract this year and bypasses workouts, he could possibly start the season $250,000 in the hole. Leverage may have swung back a little.
Maybe it's because the owner is an 80 year old cancer survivor, the defense with injury issues threatening the longevity of it's most elite players, and the big move for the QB in this years Draft all adds up to the Texans being all in for the 20017 season, and consequently I think they accommodate Brown for improved contract terms.

Maybe it's because the owner is an 80 year old cancer survivor, the defense with injury issues threatening the longevity of it's most elite players, and the big move for the QB in this years Draft all adds up to the Texans being all in for the 20017 season, and consequently I think they accommodate Brown for improved contract terms.

Hopefully their carefully laid plan will prove successful by then. :D

Jayson Braddock

✔@JaysonBraddock

Saw a unicorn yesterday as Mr Irrelevant, Lonnie Ballentine was finally on the field & healthy for a May practice.

12:21 PM - 24 May 2017

Jayson Braddock

✔@JaysonBraddock

Weeden actually looked the most comfortable.

No pressure on him as he's not considered the present or the future.

Went & let it rip.

12:20 PM - 24 May 2017

Jayson Braddock

✔@JaysonBraddock

Deshaun Watson had rough patches but got better as practice went on. He's at his best on timing throws.

Very early in the process.

12:20 PM - 24 May 2017

Jayson Braddock

✔@JaysonBraddock

Savage had moments where he looked like the QB who was getting the start last year & not the relaxed QB that we saw last camp.

12:16 PM - 24 May 2017

Jayson Braddock

✔@JaysonBraddock

Is it the jersey? Robert Nelson was rocking Bouye's old #21 at practice & apparently it comes w/ coverage ability as he was everywhere.

12:14 PM - 24 May 2017

Jayson Braddock

✔@JaysonBraddock

OB is so demanding of ball security & perfection and Savage is the perfect soldier. Always wanting to carry out the orders exactly.

12:17 PM - 24 May 2017

"...the best QB on the Texans roster, today, isn’t Tom Savage or Deshaun Watson, it’s Weeden. He threw the best ball, with the most arm strength, the most ball placement and had the best touch of any of the quarterbacks on the field today ... Weeden looked comfortable and confident... Now, before you start to freak out ... there’s zero chance the Texans allow him to win the starting QB job, however good he looks..." Matt Hammond

Sad, but probably true.

"...the best QB on the Texans roster, today, isn’t Tom Savage or Deshaun Watson, it’s Weeden. He threw the best ball, with the most arm strength, the most ball placement and had the best touch of any of the quarterbacks on the field today ... Weeden looked comfortable and confident... Now, before you start to freak out ... there’s zero chance the Texans allow him to win the starting QB job, however good he looks..." Matt Hammond

Sad, but probably true.

That's what I figured would happen.

Savage never really impressed me much going back to college and Weeden played better than him when given a shot. I think Weeden throws the ball better too.

Hopefully savage steps it up because I agree with Hammond...they don't want to start Weeden....even though he should be given a fair chance too.

[QUOTE="mussop, post: 2717298, member: /]...David Quessenberry participating for the first time since his cancer diagnosis. Was working on the interior of the offensive line....It won't surprise me if Kendall Lamm, an undrafted rookie in 2015 entering his third season, starts at RT in opener. He's impressive. - *John McClain....Man would that be great!!!...The eye test tells me XSF and Jeff Allen are in much better shape than last season. Can see it with their movement and overall size. - Patrick Starr...
For an UDFA, his third year should be his breakout season. I agree it would be a big plus if Lamm could become a significant contributor. Q is still a long shot. Does he have PS eligibility? If X and Allen are already in improved shape, this bodes well.

Do the Texans have a dining table and prepared meals for the players - for them to lose weight or gain weight?

I am a little pissed at Brown.[/QUOTE]

Everything is just super over on Kirby according to the Texans org media mouthpieces.

Give he** and get paid Duane.

For an UDFA, his third year should be his breakout season. I agree it would be a big plus if Lamm could become a significant contributor. Q is still a long shot. Does he have PS eligibility? If X and Allen are already in improved shape, this bodes well.

Do the Texans have a dining table and prepared meals for the players - for them to lose weight or gain weight?

I am a little pissed at Brown.

He's never been on the PS. He's eligible for at least another 2 seasons, and very possibly a 3rd season.

Last edited:
Gallant’s Random Thoughts: Texans OTAs Week One
By Paul Gallant, SportsRadio 610 May 24, 2017 1:08 PM By Paul Gallant

From sports, to pop culture, and other weird stories, our Paul Gallant has plenty of takes. Here are some random ones:

Hey look. Your favorite gas bag did a little reporting action yesterday. And by reporting, I really mean I watched a bunch of dudes play a watered down variant of football…in the National Football League.

Before you read about what I saw today, take several chill pills and relax. It’s guys in shorts that are barely allowed to touch each other. And we’re only going to be able to give you a limited window as to what these short sporting bros do. There are 10 days of OTAs, and I (along with the rest of the media in town) am only going to be able to go to 3 of them including today. Also keep in mind that from time to time my view was impeded by some of these large humans.

So let’s start with the off the field drama. I was intrigued when I first got out to the Methodist training center and saw Kendall Lamm at right tackle. “OoOoOoh,” I told myself. “Looks like there’s a little more competition.” Then I saw Chris Clark at left tackle, shuddered at the thought of that possibility in a game, ultimately realizing that Duane Brown was not present at practice.

After practice, I heard In The Loop mention that Brown was sitting out because he’s unhappy with his contract (per Spotrac due an $9.65 M this season & $9.75 next year with neither number guaranteed). Some humans were displeased. SOUND THE HOT TAKE ALARM!!!

This isn’t a big deal. Duane Brown is an established veteran with a non guaranteed contract. Why should he show up for VOLUNTARY OTAs and risk injury?

On top of that, holdouts happen ALL THE TIME during the offseason. You’ll see all sorts of leaks from agents & front offices suggesting that a divorce is imminent. But answer me this: when was the last time that an important player refused to play in games? Logan Mankins in 2010? Players who are under contract really don’t have a whole lot of leverage.

I think this situation is unique though. Duane Brown was BY FAR the Texans best offensive lineman last year. And with the Texans right tackle situation totally up in the air, you can make a legitimate case that he’s the most irreplaceable Houston Texan.

Yeah, there’s J.J. Watt. But don’t Jadeveon Clowney and Whitney Mercilus balance him out? Especially based off of what they did last year? Yes. And is a wide receiver like DeAndre Hopkins more important than the guy who is supposed to protect the blind side of either Tom Savage or Deshaun Watson? No . . . at least for me.

I know the Texans don’t re-negotiate contracts with 2 years left on them. But in this case, it might be worth their while.

As far as what I actually saw at OTAs yesterday, let’s start with the quarterbacks. Again, it was one practice. There are eight more of them, and there was another one that we didn’t see on Monday. So please, don’t freak out.

But of all the quarterbacks I saw yesterday, Brandon Weeden looked the best. For that individual day of touch football practice.

It’s not that surprising. No matter how easy it is to point at his lack of success as a starter in the NFL, he’s a veteran. Tom Savage hasn’t exactly taken a lot of reps, either in game or at practice. And he struggled, showing some issues with accuracy. Meanwhile, Deshaun Watson is a rookie. And he looked like one.

I will say this though. When he runs, he looks pretty damn good. If nothing else, the Texans should be fun to play with in Madden this year.

As far as other observations? They aren’t inspiring a whole lot of hot takes. Nor should they. Everything that happened in the trenches is irrelevant, because when no one is hitting each other, what’s the point?

It was cool to see J.J. Watt moving around like a normal human being. We’ll see if that keeps up when the hits start happening. I also liked what I saw from cornerback Robert Nelson and safety Kurtis Drummond. Each made a couple of plays. Hopefully Nelson can develop into a reliable fourth cornerback (the same way that A.J. Bouye began last year). Linebacker Shakeel Rashad was disruptive as well.

As far as the offense is concerned? First off, hats off to David Quessenberry coming back and actively participating at practice after beating cancer. If you’re not rooting for him, you suck. Tyler Ervin – who was barely a part of the offense last year – looked pretty confident out there. Maybe he’ll be able to carve out a role as a third down running back. And I was surprised by 5’9 slot receiver Riley McCarron. I was SHOCKED when I heard he’d played at Iowa. Seriously. Because . . . let’s just say the Hawkeyes are a traditionally slow Big 10 power. But McCarron? Looks like he went to I – OH SH*T THEY ACTUALLY HAVE A FAST GUY, THAT’S PRETTY SURPRISING BECAUSE THEY LIKE USUALLY DON’T AND STUFF – wa, am I right? By the way, Wes Welker (who I think is going to help the Texans receivers A LOT) was in attendance at Iowa’s pro day (and is probably the reason McCarron is here now). I wonder if he takes a special interest in trying to make McCarron a slot receiver stud.

So that’s pretty much it. I’ll be back out there next Wednesday for their second availability, and will have something online Thursday afternoon.

I tend to believe the news on defensive players in the offseason more than offense because our staff has a track record of developing young players.

Which makes me excited to hear about Nelson, Drummond, and Rashad!

Sad, but probably true.

I don't see why Weeden should be automatically dismissed by Savage, it's not like Savage has more than him on the field, if Savage isn't performing over Weeden, what's really keeping him from getting replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't see why Weeden should be automatically dismissed by Savage, it's not like Savage has more than him on the field, if Savage isn't performing over Weeden, what's really keeping him from getting replaced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't think it's Savage that doing the dismissing.

Well, we have another observation, this time by Paul Gallant, that the best QB at the start of OTA's is Brandon Weeden:

"...don’t freak out. But of all the quarterbacks I saw yesterday, Brandon Weeden looked the best. For that individual day of touch football practice. It’s not that surprising. No matter how easy it is to point at his lack of success as a starter in the NFL, he’s a veteran..."

Now, a month from now, I'll want observations who is the best at the conclusion of OTA's. And if any of these reporters follow the team to training camp, observations of who is best at the beginning of camp.

It will be interesting to see how OB and the organization handles the situation if Weeden continues to stand out as the most competent of our QB's.

Last edited:
My 2 cents - short of Watson looking spectacular and learning everything at a speed we've yet to see, Savage and to an extent Weeden should get first dibs. The QB position isn't slated to be DW's until next season unless he blows the doors off the stadium. If DW has not won the job by next year I'll be concerned; unless Savage/Weeden is playing so well that we're in SB contention. In that case, ride the healthly/hot hand.

Well, we have another observation, this time by Paul Gallant, that the best QB at the start of OTA's is Brandon Weeden:

"...don’t freak out. But of all the quarterbacks I saw yesterday, Brandon Weeden looked the best. For that individual day of touch football practice. It’s not that surprising. No matter how easy it is to point at his lack of success as a starter in the NFL, he’s a veteran..."

Now, a month from now, I'll want observations who is the best at the conclusion of OTA's. And if any of these reporters follow the team to training camp, observations of who is best at the beginning of camp.

It will be interesting to see how OB and the organization handles the situation if Weeden continues to stand out as the most competent of our QB's.

I agree it would be interesting, but the author goes to great lengths to point out that it was one day, not in pads, touch football. "Standing out as the most competent" is a very generous assessment.

Both Weeden and Savage have one full completed game under their belts as a Texan. One threw for 200 yards, the other for 175. Brock got a W throwing for 99. Neither of them are going to give us anything different than the last 4 years.

Tom Savage gets on same page with Bill O'Brien
May 23, 2017 Updated: May 24, 2017 12:13pm

Standing a few yards behind Tom Savage, Texans coach Bill O'Brien had the perfect vantage point Tuesday to observe his starting quarterback's throwing delivery and mechanics.

O'Brien watched intently as Savage calmly delivered a series of spirals in individual drills during an organized team activity. Following a perfect strike over the middle from Savage to wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins, O'Brien nodded in approval, shook his fist and told the quarterback group of Savage, rookie first-round draft pick Deshaun Watson and veteran Brandon Weeden that's what he's looking for.

All of the quarterbacks figure to benefit from O'Brien's increased, hands-on approach as the Texans' de facto offensive coordinator. O'Brien is operating as his own hand-picked replacement for former offensive coordinator George Godsey.

As a newly minted starter, Savage is happy to get plenty of reinforcement of lessons from O'Brien. O'Brien previously collaborated with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, but has never had that kind of enviable quarterback situation with the Texans.

"It's awesome," Savage said. "I think he's a tremendous coach and he knows what he's talking about. It's just good to be on the same page with him and just go out there and execute what he's trying to teach."

Now that Savage has replaced $72 million failed experiment Brock Osweiler, the Texans want him to establish himself as a viable starter while Watson gains experience and knowledge behind him.

A former fourth-round draft pick from Pitt, Savage is a classic pocket passer at 6-4, 228 pounds. He's working on getting the football out of his hands quicker. He's admittedly been slower than ideal in the past, taking too long to make a decision.

Savage has yet to throw an NFL touchdown pass. Last season, he completed 63 percent of his throws for 461 yards and no interceptions in three games and two starts for an 80.9 passer rating.

"In order to be a leader, you have to go out there and you have to make plays," Savage said. "I've started two NFL games in this league, so first of all you have to go out there and make plays. I think that's what kind of promotes the leadership, is going out there and performing and executing what you need to do before you can take that vocal jump. Obviously you need some juice out there on offense, but I think you just have to make plays first."

Savage is correct. In order to maintain his status as QB1, he'll need to perform at a higher level than he did last season when he stepped in for an ineffective Osweiler before suffering a concussion against the Tennessee Titans and being sidelined for the playoffs.

Both Savage and Watson had some rough moments Tuesday, mixed in with a few crisp throws.

Savage was intercepted by linebacker Shakeel Rashad and Watson was picked off by safety Kurtis Drummond. Both had trouble completing passes in the direction of cornerback Robert Nelson, who deflected several passes. Weeden had arguably the top throw of the day on a long touchdown pass to wide receiver Will Fuller.

"I think it went really well," Savage said. "I think obviously it's May. We got to work on some things and keep meshing as a team, but I think ultimately we're just striving for one goal and that's to win ballgames."

Watson looked fairly comfortable overall and didn't display the usual nerves of a raw rookie. A Heisman Trophy finalist who defeated Alabama to win the national championship last season for Clemson, Watson has athleticism, poise and a live arm working in his favor.

"He's doing a good job," O'Brien said of Watson. "He's working hard. He's picking up things every day. He's doing a good job out here."

At this stage of the offseason, O'Brien is seeking a mixture of execution and how quickly the quarterbacks process information. Savage is entering his fourth year in O'Brien's system and has a deep knowledge of a complex playbook.

"Those other guys have been here a little bit longer than Deshaun, but Deshaun's executed well," O'Brien said. "You have to be able to process the information and come out on the field and execute it. It's a combination of both. That's what we're trying to do, have perfect execution and you never really achieve that, but you're always striving for that."

In 92 career passes, Savage has 588 yards and one interception for a 74.9 career passer rating. Beyond statistics, though, Savage has earned respect from his teammates for his confident personality and accountability for any mistakes. He has developed a growing chemistry with Hopkins and the other Texans' receivers.

"I think it's all trust," Savage said. "I think we just have to keep going out there and staying after practice and throwing and getting together and just kind of doing what we need to do to understand where we're at mentally. It just really comes down to trust."

The coaches still have access to the players the reporters don't. Meeting rooms, locker room... the team may treat Weeden like a cancer & hate his guts for all we know. He might get every question wrong.

I personally won't be able tell anything until Preseason. When we see them in a game, how they manage the huddle, & the offense. I don't know how much of that goes on during OTAs.

I agree it would be interesting, but the author goes to great lengths to point out that it was one day, not in pads, touch football. "Standing out as the most competent" is a very generous assessment.

Both Weeden and Savage have one full completed game under their belts as a Texan. One threw for 200 yards, the other for 175. Brock got a W throwing for 99. Neither of them are going to give us anything different than the last 4 years.
One can only make observations based in the present. Right now Brandon is our best QB. Let's speculate and say, at the conclusion of OTA's, he is still observably the best QB. And let's further speculate that after a week of TC, he is still the best QB; and still so before preseason games are played. Then with the preseason games we finally get the opportunity to see our QB's under game conditions and are able to evaluate for ourselves and rank their performance.

My point is that you can only assess our QB's at each stage of the preseason. Right now, to start the competition, Weeden is the best and the others are going to have to pick up their game to overtake him. What if they don't?

My 2 cents - short of Watson looking spectacular and learning everything at a speed we've yet to see, Savage and to an extent Weeden should get first dibs. The QB position isn't slated to be DW's until next season unless he blows the doors off the stadium. If DW has not won the job by next year I'll be concerned; unless Savage/Weeden is playing so well that we're in SB contention. In that case, ride the healthly/hot hand.

I know what the Texans have said, but I don't know that I believe "the QB position isn't slated to be DW's until next season..." they say one thing all the time, meaning something totally different.

When O'Brien talks about how hard it is for a rookie to start, especially at QB, he comes across fake to me. Like he's trying to set up an, "Watson has done so well." Kinda thing to make it look like he earned the spot when they were going to give it to him the whole time.

One can only make observations based in the present. Right now Brandon is our best QB. Let's speculate and say, at the conclusion of OTA's, he is still observably the best QB. And let's further speculate that after a week of TC, he is still the best QB; and still so before preseason games are played. Then with the preseason games we finally get the opportunity to see our QB's under game conditions and are able to evaluate for ourselves and rank their performance.

My point is that you can only assess our QB's at each stage of the preseason. Right now, to start the competition, Weeden is the best and the others are going to have to pick up their game to overtake him. What if they don't?

There were two OTA sessions at the time of print, one of which was available to the media. I'm simply stating the sample size is way too small at this point to assert anything other than OB has named Savage as the starter going into the season. There is no overtaking to be done.

Tom Savage gets on same page with Bill O'Brien
May 23, 2017 Updated: May 24, 2017 12:13pm
I read this a few days ago when it first came out. What I get from this, and other mainstream media reports, is that all the attention is being given to Savage and Watson. But then I read the observations from camp reporters and at this early stage, Weeden is the most accomplished. If the others improve, you know Weeden is going to be making positive progress as well. Starting in front, it's going to be hard to surpass him, if the playing field is level.

We should have listened to Norg.

Now un-official king of the TexansTalk message board.

:coffee:

I know what the Texans have said, but I don't know that I believe "the QB position isn't slated to be DW's until next season..." they say one thing all the time, meaning something totally different.

When O'Brien talks about how hard it is for a rookie to start, especially at QB, he comes across fake to me. Like he's trying to set up an, "Watson has done so well." Kinda thing to make it look like he earned the spot when they were going to give it to him the whole time.

I like the learning a new language example.
DW is in Spanish 1 right now.
Savage is in Spanish 2.
Weeden completed Spanish 2 but never went to Spanish 3 and but remembers bits and pieces.

We're waiting for any one of them to become fluent. The gap between DW and the rest is familiarity. I don't think anyone doubts he has the talent to be the man. He gets a pass this year but it's expected that he takes the bull by the horns next year.

I don't pay much attention to what OB says. We've seen him yank QBs left and right.

TK -
You said "The coaches still have access to the players the reporters don't. Meeting rooms, locker room... the team may treat Weeden like a cancer & hate his guts for all we know. He might get every question wrong. I personally won't be able tell anything until Preseason. When we see them in a game, how they manage the huddle, & the offense. I don't know how much of that goes on during OTAs."

Have you forgotten the top secret practices that are used to evaluate the QB's? Just tossing that out like a pass in a playoff game.
Signed,
Brian Hoyer

Is there any further report that O' Brien is being better at OTA?

Do the guys learn better from him this year?

Like, without Hard Knock, coach is really taking cursing to the next level sort of thing?

:kitten::ahhaha:

I don't pay much attention to what OB says. We've seen him yank QBs left and right.

Pretty much.

The Texans don't do what I expect them to do most of the time, so chances are I'm way off base. But if it were me, I'd start with my goal & work from there. I want to win a Super Bowl. I ask myself, "Can Tom Savage win a Super Bowl?" The answer, in my mind, is littered with "ifs" & "lucky breaks" & long shots.

So then I ask, "Can DeShaun Watson win a Super Bowl?" If I traded a future first round pick to move up & get this guy, I should hope that I believe he can win a Super Bowl. & that's where I'm putting my eggs. All of them.

Are our odds better of making the playoffs better with Savage this year? Maybe. Most likely... fine, lets say they are. I'm going to say the right stuff & talk Savage up & sell to the fans that I think we have a good shot of winning the Super Bowl with Tom Savage... but I don't believe it. In three years, I've looked at him as a safety blanket without the safety part. That's not going to change in one season.

But our odds of winning the Super Bowl is better next season if I can get Watson ready to play this year. Our odds of winning he Super Bowl in 2019 & 2020 are better if I get him on the field learning the game this year.

I believe all QBs will struggle year one of being the starter. We're pretty much pising away 2 years of a small window if we wait to start Watson next season.

Now... if I can't get him ready, I can't get him ready. We made some pretty poor assumptions in the whole draft process. But if I can get him to remedial Spanish, his as is going to Mexico.

To the bolded, why though?
Why wouldn't be just say up front that it's an open competition for all three QBs?
I just don't see it. Feels like you're over thinking it to me

Spe1M5T.jpg
I DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! Do I turn the steering wheel to the left or right? Dang this 757 is big..99 90 81 72

Is there any further report that O' Brien is being better at OTA?

Do the guys learn better from him this year?

Like, without Hard Knock, coach is really taking cursing to the next level sort of thing?

:kitten::ahhaha:
My sources tell me that Mrs. O'Brien has hired New England Patriots to spy on her husband. There will be recordings of any F Bombs. I understand Bilicheat is looking for anything that will cause a conflict between Pats and Goodell. He wants commish to hand him another trophy and what better way than being accused of spying on another team?

Doesn't matter. Weeden will be 34 years old in October. At this point he is not going to ever become an above average starter.

Even if he is better than Savage and Watson at the start of the season it would be asinine to start him. The team would be throwing away the potential of the other QBs to have a below average starter who is what he is and won't get much better, ever. Savage or Watson should improve if they play. So by the second half of the season you could have better QB play if you are willing to suffer some growing pains for the first half of the season.

If Weeden is the best QB on the team by January then the team is SOL for the season anyway. Better to start someone who has the potential to become better than Weeden, even if the message board savants declare Weeden the best QB on Labor Day.

Texans lineman Jeff Allen ready to regain form he had in Kansas City
By Aaron Wilson

May 26, 2017

Houston Texans guard Jeff Allen holds up his jersey as he is introduced during a news conference announcing his signing at NRG Stadium on Thursday, March 10, 2016, in Houston. The Texans introduced four free ... more

Jeff Allen built a strong reputation with the Kansas City Chiefs for his nasty disposition, a brawling, go-for-the-throat approach on the football field.

Allen was known for playing to the echo of the whistle, and perhaps a moment beyond in a punishing manner that belied his relatively mild-mannered, friendly personality away from the game.

As much as Allen tried to recapture his old, feisty blocking form last year during his first season with the Texans after signing a five-year, $28 million contract to be their new starting right offensive guard, something was missing.

"I wasn't satisfied," Allen said this week. "I definitely didn't play up to my standard."

Accustomed to playing left guard, Allen had to learn new footwork and become comfortable on the right side with his new employer. He dealt with a nagging ankle injury that required minor offseason surgery. Allen was sidelined with a concussion for two games as he started 14 games during his first season in Houston.

Allen finished the season ranked as Pro Football Focus' 72nd guard in the NFL.

Whatever the reasons were for his sudden regression as a lineman, Allen didn't look nearly as aggressive as he did with the Chiefs as he appeared hesitant and unsure at times during a rough season.

It was a frustrating experience overall for Allen after being brought in as the replacement for Brandon Brooks.

"I feel like it was kind of an up-and-down year," Allen said. "Obviously, you have to look in the mirror and try to figure out what you can do better. Everybody can do things better. For me personally, every year I try to figure out what I can do better, learn the offense a little bit better, get a little more comfortable in a new position.

Glad you posted the Allen piece. I just read it in this morning's Chronicle. Remains to be seen how it goes this coming season, but right now this is some positive news for the right side of our line.

To summarize some additional points other than the ones you high lighted: last season he played over weight. His wife is a chef and during her pregnancy last year, he gained weight. He's now changed his diet and training regimen and is 21 pounds lighter, weighing 306. He's leaner and quicker and with the ankle injury behind him, is more mobile firing out of his stance.

With a year of reconditioning his muscle memory to the right side, I don't think there's any doubt that we'll see a better Allen in 2017.

Glad you posted the Allen piece. I just read it in this morning's Chronicle. Remains to be seen how it goes this coming season, but right now this is some positive news for the right side of our line.

To summarize some additional points other than the ones you high lighted: last season he played over weight. His wife is a chef and during her pregnancy last year, he gained weight. He's now changed his diet and training regimen and is 21 pounds lighter, weighing 306. He's leaner and quicker and with the ankle injury behind him, is more mobile firing out of his stance.

With a year of reconditioning his muscle memory to the right side, I don't think there's any doubt that we'll see a better Allen in 2017.
This is very positive news. I want to see more runs to right side.

If they don't , I believe Savage still starts the season as the #1 , Watson the #2 and Weeden on the outside looking in .... The QB competition isn't a real competition , never has been , never will be.

If they don't , I believe Savage still starts the season as the #1 , Watson the #2 and Weeden on the outside looking in .... The QB competition isn't a real competition , never has been , never will be.
If you are correct, and there's a high probability you are, this will give me a highly negative opinion of the Texans' organization. Did you read CnD's post on the difficulties of leaning the terminology of the playbook. Weeden has had more than a year to learn it, so you might say he and Savage are even in this regard. But there was another post which explained that because of the time spent on IR and limitations on practicing, Weeden actually has more experience than Savage actually operating the Texans' offense. Plus you have the fact of Weeden's overall experience in the NFL. Plus you have the innate skill level that puts Weeden at the upper end of the ratings. The only real negative that Weeden has is his age; but in the short term this is not a factor.

Why is Weeden even on the team if he is not to be taken seriously.

Seattle comes to mind first when it comes to going with the best QB and not the guy you paid the most for . I think that sends a great message about the front office and owner .

If Brandon Weeden is the best QB on the roster coming out of TC, the Texans are in serious trouble. Hang it up.

If you are correct, and there's a high probability you are, this will give me a highly negative opinion of the Texans' organization. Did you read CnD's post on the difficulties of leaning the terminology of the playbook.

Knowing the playbook & terminology is only one part of it.

Another is how they actually perform on the field. Weeden has a lot of ugly film out there. The Texans may feel like Weeden is the kind of guy who they'd rather see come in & take the job by performing well as a backup.

Who knows?

If you are correct, and there's a high probability you are, this will give me a highly negative opinion of the Texans' organization. Did you read CnD's post on the difficulties of leaning the terminology of the playbook. Weeden has had more than a year to learn it, so you might say he and Savage are even in this regard. But there was another post which explained that because of the time spent on IR and limitations on practicing, Weeden actually has more experience than Savage actually operating the Texans' offense. Plus you have the fact of Weeden's overall experience in the NFL. Plus you have the innate skill level that puts Weeden at the upper end of the ratings. The only real negative that Weeden has is his age; but in the short term this is not a factor.

I had a feeling Weeden would probably look the best out of the qbs early. He had first round potential out of college even though he was already pretty advanced in age....

Also, he's looked better than Savage in actual games. That in itself is a very small sample size, but the point is: Savage hasn't exactly set the NFL on fire when he's gotten a chance. If he were cut he'd surely get another job but I don't think a single NFL team would be bringing him in to be their starter.

To answer your question, Weeden is probably on the team just in case Savage gets hurt. If Savage had been a picture of perfect health they could probably think about letting him go. But as it stands, Savage goes out (which based on past history isn't terribly unlikely) and you'd only be left with a rookie in his first year here.

I mean based on OB's tenure it's not like the 3rd string qb is that many snaps away from playing either way.

If Brandon Weeden is the best QB on the roster coming out of TC, the Texans are in serious trouble. Hang it up.
Only in your sense of fandom.

I believe most of us see the build of this team and what we accomplished last year; and believe if we had a bit more production out of the QB position, we would be an even better team. I believe most of us believe Oz was the bottom of the barrel. You obviously think poorly of Weeden, but I believe many, if not most, think he would represent an improvement over Oz.

It would not be the end of the season, before it even started, if Weeden were to win out.

Back