Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2016 Free agent targets

I am down with signing Osweiler AND drafting a QB this year. Do the same thing the Seahawks did in signing Flynn and drafting Russell Wilson. I would much rather have a couple of irons in the fire rather than just one. Osweiler is ready to start now. A guy like Paxton Lynch coming from a shotgun spread needs a year of grooming at a minimum. Thus would be a smart move for Texans.

I'm ready for the rocks to be thrown, but I'd prefer going after Miller for $7M rather than Osweiler for 15M. I think we already have our QB of the future. He just needs the opportunity to show it.

Who? Savage?... Sure it is possible but how could anyone have any confidence in that given he has yet to play like an average NFL starter in a single regular season game and he is two years removed from being a late 4th round draft pick. There is no reason we can't invest more money at QB, increasing the odds that we find a solution.

Also, the Texans have more than enough cap room to spend on Osweiler, a RB like Miller, re-sign Brooks/Jones, and make some other moves.

Who? Savage?... Sure it is possible but how could anyone have any confidence in that given he has yet to play like an average NFL starter in a single regular season game and he is two years removed from being a late 4th round draft pick. There is no reason we can't invest more money at QB, increasing the odds that we find a solution.

Also, the Texans have more than enough cap room to spend on Osweiler, a RB like Miller, re-sign Brooks/Jones, and make some other moves.

Just curious. What did you think of Osweiler coming out of Arizona State? Did you think he was borderline 1st round material? Did you do a double take when he was drafted ahead of Foles, Cousins, & Wilson?

What did you think when Weeden was picked ahead of him? Just as an aside, did you realize Bj Daniels was also in that draft?

Just curious. What did you think of Osweiler coming out of Arizona State? Did you think he was borderline 1st round material? Did you do a double take when he was drafted ahead of Foles, Cousins, & Wilson?

What did you think when Weeden was picked ahead of him? Just as an aside, did you realize Bj Daniels was also in that draft?

I don't recall my opinion of Osweiler at that point... He wasn't on my radar, I know that. If this is related to Savage... I like Savage. I think he could turn into something. However, I am not naive enough to bank on it, especially considering how little football he has played over the past five years. My point is we should be emptying the chamber while we have all these bullets ($45 million in cap space, draft picks, and an interesting market of free agent/trade market) to solve the QB issue.

Schefter reporting that Eagles are sending Murray to Tennessee. This after they already sent Maxwell and Alonzo to Miami.

I don't recall my opinion of Osweiler at that point... He wasn't on my radar, I know that. If this is related to Savage... I like Savage. I think he could turn into something. However, I am not naive enough to bank on it, especially considering how little football he has played over the past five years. My point is we should be emptying the chamber while we have all these bullets ($45 million in cap space, draft picks, and an interesting market of free agent/trade market) to solve the QB issue.

If we end up landing him, I'm going to go back & watch the 7 games he started. I really don't know what to think about it right now. Just think it's odd to go so hard after him after only 7 games. NFLNetwork said Rick still has deep ties to the Broncos organization. Maybe he has a real grasp of Osweiler's potential.

Better than Foles & Coisins? Not as good as Weeden... Weeden didn't look bad at all in Dallas, or here.

Connor Cook, Savage, Weeden... I could live with that. Spend that money to upgrade the OL, WRs through FA.. go hard for Rivers or Stafford...

I mean if we're emptying both barrels.

I understand the going rate on QBs & all that, but I've yet to hear one person here, draftniks even, talk about how they wanted Osweiler back then, not even for development purposes.

& then the article that came out the other day suggesting the only reason Denver drafted him when they did was because he roomed with Elway's son at Arizona State. Explains why he was drafted ahead of Foles & Coisins. Maybe.

Schef is busy today:
Colts re-signing TE Dwayne Allen to a four-year, $29.4 million, as @ProFootballTalk reported.

Brock has started what, 22 total games between NFL and college? With that limited experience and showing so many positives, I think he would be a fine choice. He learned from Manning, Elway and Gary and add in BoB taking him over, he has all the knowledge of the position behind him. Getting him would really free up our draft and the rest of free agency which would be amazing. I need to watch more of Brock in the next day or so.

From what I remember, he looked brilliant at times, but was inconsistent. That could be because of his limited experience. His upside seems huge and he would instantly be the best qb we have had in 2 seasons.

I would draft hack as late as I could and roll with Brock, Savage and Hack

Sounds similar to what some of us said about Mallett.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sounds similar to what some of us said about Mallett.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not really, I'm just glad that BOB is keeping all options open when it comes to finding a QB. Is Brock my #1 choice? No, but if BOB is willing to put his career on the line for Brock then I'm on board. After all BOB's the QB guru, not me.

I hope Smith isn't spending all of his time on Osweiler and knows Fleener is about to hit the FA market.

I called him the smoke screen king. Thats what he threw alot of in college. As you notice, college has alot of that going on. Teams have to decipher if the talent exceeds the college scheme. Thats why a guy like RG3 despite playing in a spread was regarded so high. He had great physical traits and they expect coaching to get it out. Brock has great physical traits and he has game tape. So he still has room to grow, but he has experience which is great.

A couple quick thoughts and one question.

How much is too much for the Texans to pay Brock Osweiler? Surely we can top the Broncos' reported three-year, $45 million offer if we feel he's a legitimate franchise quarterback.

Also. how does his recent "physical altercation, more like non fight" outside that Pizza place in Arizona last night affect him? He did nothing wrong other than shove aside that woman with one hand (not sure what started the altercation). Seemed like the woman he shoved was in a verbal conflict with the woman Osweiler was with. That's his wife I think.

Another man pushed him toward his van for initially shoving that woman. At least Brock Osweiler didn't fight the guy back. He could have caused some damage to that short dude if he threw a punch. It looked like he wanted to once he wasn't holding the big box of pizza.

If Brock Osweiler came to Houston, I'd volunteer to be his body guard.

I like the idea of signing Osweiler, even at a steep financial commitment, because it would allow us to spend a first-round pick on one of the top running backs.

I mean man, $15 million a year is all Denver can pony up?
Surely we can offer him $17, $18 million per? Denver's offer seems light.

Sample size and all that but he has the size, arm strength and abilities I think Bill O'Brien can succeed with. Or am I mistaken?

Things could heat up in a couple days. The RG3 talk has all but died down. Kaepernick and the Texans could happen but the Brock Osweiler thing doesn't seem far fetched. Just expensive is all.

Adam Schefter
Brock Osweiler may indeed resign with Denver. But that, at this time, is far from a certainty even after Peyton's retirement. Other QB-needy teams will make this tough.

On ESPN's NFL Live earlier, Adam Schefter also reported that Osweiler is still upset he was benched late in the season, and there is some lingering bitterness and bad blood between him and Kubiak. Those in Osweiler's camp have told him that he is having doubts about playing for Kubiak for the long haul.

We'll see how this plays out. If the Broncos lose Osweiler could you imagine? They'd be in the same situation we've been in. I guess the Broncos could always sign RG3. He'd be ideal in Kubiak's west coast system full of bootlegs and roll outs assuming his knee is healthy again.

But we all know "Money Talks" and so far the Broncos offer seems low.

How high are the Houston Texans on Brock Osweiler?
I guess we shall see once we find out what their offer is.

The Texans did contact Brock Osweiler's agent already. That's all they can do for now. But in 24-to-48 hours we may see some quick progression.

Not really, I'm just glad that BOB is keeping all options open when it comes to finding a QB. Is Brock my #1 choice? No, but if BOB is willing to put his career on the line for Brock then I'm on board. After all BOB's the QB guru, not me.

I hope Smith isn't spending all of his time on Osweiler and knows Fleener is about to hit the FA market.
If O'Brien gives the green light on Osweiler get ready for fireworks.
Rick Smith is going to be the one offering a lucrative contract.
Our draft plans would then shift to running back and tight end.
I've got this gut feeling something big is going down in a few days.

TBH I am not real gung ho on paying OS $15 m per year unless there is minimal guaranteed. He should be ok with that if he believes he is good and at 25 he should be ready. Set up several "requirements" to get paid and not "caught plane on time to make it to game".

TBH I am not real gung ho on paying OS $15 m per year unless there is minimal guaranteed. He should be ok with that if he believes he is good and at 25 he should be ready. Set up several "requirements" to get paid and not "caught plane on time to make it to game".

Would it matter if all the guaranteed money is paid in 2016? We could dump him next year with no affect on our future cap.

Would it matter if all the guaranteed money is paid in 2016? We could dump him next year with no affect on our future cap.
I posted earlier something very similar to that but guess it would depend on how much. I just think if someone says "I will pay you X" and you want X and you feel confident you can meet criteria to get X, if you are a competitor..you sign and go prove it.

have not seen this reported:
New York Jets running back Chris Ivory ran a path to the Pro Bowl last season during a career breakthrough year.

Now, the reigning AFC rushing champion is on the road to free agency as one of the most sought after running backs.

Ivory drew inquiries from seven NFL teams Monday during the first day of the legal tampering period, including the Oakland Raiders and Tampa Bay Buccaneers. After cutting four-time Pro Bowl runner Arian Foster last week, the Texans are searching for a replacement and are expected to investigate the feasibility of a potential fit with Ivory in the next few days in advance of the free agent signing period that begins Wednesday.

Along with Tampa Bay Buccaneers running back Doug Martin and Miami Dolphins running back Lamar Miller, Ivory is expected to command a hefty payday. The price for running backs is expected to get expensive, perhaps in the $6 million per year range or higher.

Ivory is a big, strong running back at 6-foot, 222 pounds who rushed for 1,070 yards last season to lead the AFC and ranked fifth overall in the NFL along with scoring seven touchdowns and averaging 4.33 yards per carry. He caught 30 passes for 217 yards and a touchdown.

Ivory has a punishing running style and averaged 2.2 yards after contact to rank seventh in the NFL. Ivory turns 28 on March 22.
nothing in this Chronicle article saying Texans are interested only should be.
http://www.chron.com/sports/texans/...ing-in-potential-Texans-RB-target-6876143.php

I don't know how I feel about us going after Osweiler. It will probably be like having Ryan Mallet all over again, minus the immaturity. He's very inconsistent! If O'Brien and Rick Smith feel he's our guy, then so be it. I just hope we at least go after a good running back in the draft, and a good tight end. If we're able to pick up a decent running back in FA (like Ivory) we may be onto something really good for 2016-2017.

I'm kind of expecting Osweiler to hit the market to see what offers he gets but eventually stay with Denver.

I think he takes his best offer back to Denver and asks them to get as close to that as they can. I don't think Denver matches it, but maybe they go from $15 to $16 per year with more guarantees.

I'm kind of expecting Osweiler to hit the market to see what offers he gets but eventually stay with Denver.

I think he takes his best offer back to Denver and asks them to get as close to that as they can. I don't think Denver matches it, but maybe they go from $15 to $16 per year with more guarantees.

I wonder how much room they've got to work with. The money they saved from Peyton goes towards Von Miller's tag, so until they get that deal done... they're pretty limited on what they can offer him without backloading the deal, which is what they're trying to avoid doing.

I'm extremely anxious right now. We're about to find out the direction our team will take for the 2016 season. Maybe get a new QB, or two... hopefully they're looking at RBs (Ivory, Matthews, Forte). A couple of good looking guards out there... I can't wait.

I know we all have our rathers. I'm not particularly fond of Osweiler or RGIII (as is), most of us want Brooks back, I want Jones as well. These RBs aren't spring chickens... but I'm just dying to find out.

Was just looking up Brock highlights. What I noticed is that none of our QBs would make any of these plays; especially #3. Back foot, falling over, under pressure, 40+ yards down field.
I don't know if he's a big money QB or a QB that's young and has had a couple decent outings ala Rob Johnson but one thing is certain, he's better than our current QBs.

I prefer Os to trading up to top 5-ish in the draft. I'd show him the money, as long as it's structured properly, and go offensive BPA in the draft, even if that BPA is a QB.

I prefer Os to trading up to top 5-ish in the draft. I'd show him the money, as long as it's structured properly, and go offensive BPA in the draft, even if that BPA is a QB.
One of the big costs of drafting a QB is the opportunity cost that a team forgos to improve itself with a first round pick by adding another front-line player like a Brian Cushing or a Whitney Mercilus or a DeAndre Hopkins which are the core of a team, any team. We've got the cap space for a FA QB and if we like one who's on the market lets do it.

One of the big costs of drafting a QB is the opportunity cost that a team forgos to improve itself with a first round pick by adding another front-line player like a Brian Cushing or a Whitney Mercilus or a DeAndre Hopkins which are the core of a team, any team. We've got the cap space for a FA QB and if we like one who's on the market lets do it.

You could swap this argument around for any positions except k/p. So net illogical. And actually FA QBs are typically in very thin supply.

How many front-line QB's hit the fa market? How have we done so far without a front-line QB even though we had plenty of front-line guys like Cushing, Mercilus, Hopkins and JJ? If they go for a FA QB, they better be sure he's the real deal and not another Hoyer.

How have we done so far without a front-line QB even though we had plenty of front-line guys like Cushing, Mercilus, Hopkins and JJ?
Just in O'Brien's tenure as head coach it's been winning football and back-to-back 9-7 seasons either way you look at it.

With most of those skilled position players on both sides of the ball, I would call it what it is... Three AFC South division titles and two AFC wild-card victories over the Bengals. A team that hasn't won a playoff game since 1991 despite having a franchise quarterback in Katy's own Andy Dalton. Who some would argue is a top 10 quarterback in this league. Every season the Bengals are sitting pretty with the best record in the AFC only to crash and burn come playoff time it seems like.

Our situation is not too shabby considering the circumstances of playing so many different quarterbacks over the years. Seven, count them (seven!) in the past two regular-seasons alone.

I'll take our current situation over most franchises, even though we don't have a quarterback capable of leading us to a Super Bowl on our current roster. Most teams don't. What we do have is a defense we can lean on and a top 5 WR in the league. So that if we find a capable quarterback - doesn't need to be elite - we'll be in a pretty good spot.

We're already a 9-7 playoff team with no quarterback or no running back. Most teams in that position are a 3 or 4-win team.

Would you rather have a Dallas Cowboys type season just to pick high in the draft to land a quarterback that way? We had a chance to do that sitting at 1-4 in October. Instead we fought our way to the playoffs like a credible organization who tries to win and compete. That's a credit to Bill O'Brien. We even went 2-0 with Brandon Weeden starting at quarterback, who the Dallas Cowboys released during the season.

I wish we'd have rode that Weeden train the final game of the season and playoffs. He would have beaten the Jaguars at home to go 3-0. He'd have given us a better chance to win that home playoff game against the Chiefs.

Almost anybody is an upgrade over Brian Hoyer.

Last edited:
If the price for Brooks gets extreme I'd look in on Schwartz to see what offers he's getting. I think he's one of the top RTs in the game but there doesn't seem to be a big fight for his services.

If the price were right I'd toy with the idea of bringing him in and dropping Newton down to OG.

How many front-line QB's hit the fa market? How have we done so far without a front-line QB even though we had plenty of front-line guys like Cushing, Mercilus, Hopkins and JJ? If they go for a FA QB, they better be sure he's the real deal and not another Hoyer.
We did OK with the one big-time move we made venturing into FA for a QB as Schaub is the best QB the Texans have had: he was a pro-bowler after all. IMO there's also less uncertainty with an Osweiller since he's got several games of NFL tape where as the rookies have zippo.
On the other side I'd admit the ceiling is potentially higher with a rookie (here again he's an unknown quantity - cuts both ways).

Schaub was a trade.
Let me try again, but he was a veteran NFL QB as Osweiler is though the Denver QB has more actual starting experience than Schaub did.
But back to Brock, he is so much more of a known quantity than say Wentz who's not even played top division college ball.
I would take Brock for 15M in each of the next 3 years than go all-in for an unknown (NFL experience) college rookie real quick.

If the price for Brooks gets extreme I'd look in on Schwartz to see what offers he's getting. I think he's one of the top RTs in the game but there doesn't seem to be a big fight for his services.

If the price were right I'd toy with the idea of bringing him in and dropping Newton down to OG.

I've been saying this for awhile now. If brooks and Swartz are anywhere close contract wise Swartz would be a better option IMO.

I've been saying this for awhile now. If brooks and Swartz are anywhere close contract wise Swartz would be a better option IMO.

Cleveland beat writer expects Schwartz to become league's highest paid RT. The Giants have a huge need there and have a ton of money to spend.

Personally, I would like to bring in Schwartz and re-sign Brooks and cut Newton but that just isn't going to happen.

Back