Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2016 Free agent targets

I've always been a huge fan of Miller and quite honestly I'm surprised that the market for him hasn't exploded. I thought he'd be a prime candidate to get overpaid and figured we wouldn't even have a chance at him due to a bidding war. I'm generally not a fan of big contracts being handed out in FA so I'd have to see what the numbers are, but at first glance I would have to say that I would be very impressed with that signing if we can nail it down.

Miller also provides a viable receiving threat out of the backfield. He's only 24 and had a sub 200 carry season. Not sure I'd be willing to break the bank for him though. A nice consolation prize IMO would be Chris Ivory, I really like how hard he runs, but with that are the injury concerns.

Maybe they think they can bring him back on something cheaper for us but that provides him a little bit more long term security?
IIRC they let him go once before and then brought him back. I think he is best back they have or maybe "had".

So we've seen the Texans linked to osweiler and Lamar Miller. Have i missed any other names?

They will almost assuredly bring him back on the minimum which is quite a bit cheaper than the tender.
I hope so, I was puzzled why he wasn't getting more touches toward the end of the season. Blue surprised me and came on a bit but Grimes looked so much more explosive in just about every facet.

I hope so, I was puzzled why he wasn't getting more touches toward the end of the season. Blue surprised me and came on a bit but Grimes looked so much more explosive in just about every facet.

Blue has no vision whatsoever. Here's the gap...go. He's Jonathan Wells.

That's not true.
1/3
vs
NE

12/27
vs
IND

12/20
@
SD

12/14
vs
NYG

12/6
vs
BAL

11/29
@
NYJ

11/22
vs
DAL

11/15
@
PHI

11/8
@
BUF

10/29
@
NE

10/25
vs
HOU

10/18
@
TEN

10/4
vs
NYJ

9/27
vs
BUF

9/20
@
JAX

9/13
@
WAS

Regular Season

Well, it's four - but other than that it's true.

Right, so it isn't true.

1/3
vs
NE

12/27
vs
IND

12/20
@
SD

12/14
vs
NYG

12/6
vs
BAL

11/29
@
NYJ

11/22
vs
DAL

11/15
@
PHI

11/8
@
BUF

10/29
@
NE

10/25
vs
HOU

10/18
@
TEN

10/4
vs
NYJ

9/27
vs
BUF

9/20
@
JAX

9/13
@
WAS

Regular Season

How's your math?

Miller averaged 4.8 ypc over the last 2 seasons. The other Miami RB's averaged 3.9 ypc. Miller averaged 1 fumble every 123 touches.

Hillman averaged 4.1 ypc over the last 2 seasons. The other Denver RB's averaged 4.5 ypc. Hillman averaged 1 fumble every 89 touches.

I like Miller alot and I'm not opposed to getting him. I look at a rb rotation in houston morseo than a 1 man show like we had with Arian. For some odd reason, they didn't feed him as much as he should've been fed. He does have age and not alot of carries on his body. What's his price is the real question? If you say 4m per, thats cool.

I like Miller alot and I'm not opposed to getting him. I look at a rb rotation in houston morseo than a 1 man show like we had with Arian. For some odd reason, they didn't feed him as much as he should've been fed. He does have age and not alot of carries on his body. What's his price is the real question? If you say 4m per, thats cool.
No way we get him for less than 6.5

He wanted $6M from Miami and they offered $4-5M. I assume we will give him $5-7M.

He will definitely need to rotate because he is not a Foster/Forte/Peterson/etc type bellcow but he has a great skill set for the modern NFL.

Looks like the Jags are signing Chris Ivory.

EDIT: Looks like Ivory/Jags deal is $6M per year so that should set the floor on a Miller deal.

Last edited:
I posted this earlier but wanted to post it again now that the Miller talk has heated up.

He shows a lot of ability on this play, displaying several favorable attributes like vision, quickness, agility, and some top end speed.

I'm all in on Lamar Miller.

He wanted $6M from Miami and they offered $4-5M. I assume we will give him $5-7M.

He will definitely need to rotate because he is not a Foster/Forte/Peterson/etc type bellcow but he has a great skill set for the modern NFL.

Yep,

Miller has been my #1 RB target. He has a limited number of carries and brings a much needed homerun threat to the backfield. Hopefully this offseason will continue to be about 3 things

1. QB, Osweiler
2. Speed and more speed
3. Adding talent to the OL.

Reactions: JB
Yep,

Miller has been my #1 RB target. He has a limited number of carries and brings a much needed homerun threat to the backfield. Hopefully this offseason will continue to be about 3 things

1. QB, Osweiler
2. Speed and more speed
3. Adding talent to the OL.
I wonder what Minny wants for Patterson? He's better at smoke screens and pivots than running setup routes. He's a great special teams player also. I never liked him as a 1 or even a 2,but he could be a useful utility player. He has speed, but needs a role. Mike Wallace as a shot player fits the speed factor,but he has some issues it seems. Rishard Matthews had one of the highest yard per target rate in the league last year.

I wonder what Minny wants for Patterson? He's better at smoke screens and pivots than running setup routes. He's a great special teams player also. I never liked him as a 1 or even a 2,but he could be a useful utility player. He has speed, but needs a role. Mike Wallace as a shot player fits the speed factor,but he has some issues it seems. Rishard Matthews had one of the highest yard per target rate in the league last year.

I would be interested in Wallace if they sign a big armed guy like Osweiler. Playing with RT and Teddy was a bad fit for Wallace's skillset. He was a perfect fit with Big Ben and Osw reminds me of a young Big Ben stylewise. Osw is currently nowhere near Big Ben right now.

Texans are offering Miller $6.5M per year. He wanted to stay with Miami but they wouldn't go over $5M so he's leaving. Dallas wants Miller bad but only has $9M in cap space and can't match Texans offer.

Texans are offering Miller $6.5M per year. He wanted to stay with Miami but they wouldn't go over $5M so he's leaving. Dallas wants Miller bad but only has $9M in cap space and can't match Texans offer.

Great news.

My perfect FA offseason is

Osweiler/Miller/L. Green or Fleener, plus re-signing Brooks.

Is there enough cap room to make this happen? I know cutting Hoyer will save 5 mil.

Great news.

Is there enough cap room to make this happen? I know cutting Hoyer will save 5 mil.

Its all about bonus money and structure of the deals right? Mix in hoyer on the road and it shouldn't be a problem for a cap wiz like rick.

Great news.

I wouldn't be shocked if Green gets paid. That might be a tough buy. Not a Fleener fan at all. I think he's a pure product of playing with Luck in college/pro. There's a reason Indy chose Allen even though he's always injured.

If Texans cut Hoyer they would be around $43M in cap space so...

Osweiler - $17M
Miller - $6.5M
Brooks - $8.5M
Total - $32M

Subtract rookie pool from that and it gives them about $5-6M to throw at Green (which is probably the floor of what he will get offered).

EDIT: Obviously there will be more room to work with here as the base salary will be lower in the 1st year of contract. Didn't bother working that in though because there's no way to know how any deal is going to be structured.

Miller's combine info..he ran 4.40 and has gained about 15 pounds since.
OVERVIEW

Miller is an early-entry true junior from Miami who really surprised in 2011, his first year as a starter in Miami's offense. He had played sparingly in more of a scat back role prior to this year, but showed that he is a true starting tailback who possesses many traits of a first rounder. While there is debate about the risk behind investing an early round selection on a back whose shelf life is short, Miller has put together enough solid tape to garner a late first-round value and should continue to excite and ascend as he displays his athletic ability throughout the pre-draft process.

ANALYSIS
STRENGTHS
Miller has track speed and actually ran a few anchor legs for the Miami track team prior to his junior year. Once in the open field, he is a threat to take it the distance and is not only a straight-line, long-speed runner; Miller has even more impressive quickness off the snap and in tight areas to avoid and stay productive. He is very smooth and impressive off the snap as he gets to top speed quickly and is able to pick his spots at full speed in a very effective way. He hardly ever gets stuck in the backfield and is reliable to get positive yardage on each carry. He is a very efficient runner who has a natural feel for maneuvering his way through the box.
WEAKNESSES
Miller has only one full season of tape and was rather ineffective as a runner prior to this year. He relies on speed and leg drive to gain yards. He won't be able to juke linebackers at the next level or bail himself out of bad spots with his feet. He runs like a power back at times, which could be a liability in the NFL at his size.

I wouldn't be shocked if Green gets paid. That might be a tough buy. Not a Fleener fan at all. I think he's a pure product of playing with Luck in college/pro. There's a reason Indy chose Allen even though he's always injured.

Osweiler - $17M
Miller - $6.5M
Brooks - $8.5M
Total - $32M

Subtract rookie pool from that and it gives them about $5-6M to throw at Green (which is probably the floor of what he will get offered).

EDIT: Obviously there will be more room to work with here as the base salary will be lower in the 1st year of contract. Didn't bother working that in though because there's no way to know how any deal is going to be structured.

Then I would cut Shorts to make sure the $$$$ was available.

Osweiler - $17M
Miller - $6.5M
Brooks - $8.5M
Total - $32M

Totally agree about Fleener. I love Green and Benjamin WR. Still hoping we can get them both.

Back