Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2016 Free agent targets

Does Coby Fleener do anything for anybody at TE? Very much an under achiever in Indy but could be on the cheap...

Scott Chandler is also out there, guess he knows the system...

You might not get that high pick because it might be in SF possession. They want high draft capital for Kap.

I'd prefer Osweiler at $16M and keep our picks to plug holes and build up supporting cast than Kap at $19M and have to give up multiple picks and then just plug holes with remaining picks.
Now this is something I didn't realize. Didn't know Kap had a 19m cap hit. If thats the case Nevermind.

Chris Clark two year $6 m: $1,000,000 signing bonus, $1,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $3,000,000. In 2016, Clark will earn a base salary of $1,500,000, a signing bonus of $1,000,000 and a roster bonus of $750,000. Clark has a cap hit of $2,750,000 while his dead money value is $1,000,000.
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-texans/chris-clark/

I'm stunned. A QB, RB, and OG?!? Guess draft really is going to be BPA. I'd still like OL. Wow. This is a lot to process. But you know what this means? No more Destroyer!

Reactions: JB
I kinda want to take a shot on Chris Givens for his speed. Thoughts? Also more Oline would be nice, Andre Smith, Ryan Schraeder, Mitchell Schwartz, Manual Ramirez, Stefan Wisniewski, basically just more Oline, we really have no depth ouside of Q and Clark, (and Mancsz if we find a starting C), and our Tackle situation is a little iffy right now.

The Colts officially released Andre Johnson an hour ago. Any chance he would sign with the Texans on a one year deal? Retire where it all started? I hear Andre still wants to play in 2016 and isn't retiring.

I know it's not likely (Texans signing him) but it would be cool if he could mentor a guy like Jaelen Strong for a year or two. His mentoring had a big impact on DeAndre Hopkins, who has become a top five WR in the entire league.

Otherwise, I want to draft a wide receiver in the early rounds. Also has DeMeco Ryans signed with anybody yet? Just saying...

The Colts officially released Andre Johnson an hour ago. Any chance he would sign with the Texans on a one year deal? Retire where it all started? I hear Andre still wants to play in 2016 and isn't retiring.

I know it's not likely (Texans signing him) but it would be cool if he could mentor a guy like Jaelen Strong for a year or two. His mentoring had a big impact on DeAndre Hopkins, who has become a top five WR in the entire league.

Otherwise, I want to draft a wide receiver in the early rounds. Also has DeMeco Ryans signed with anybody yet? Just saying...

This shouldn't be a reunion tour - if they eventually want to sign a one day contract and retire as Texans I would be all over that. But at their age what does either Andre or DeMeco bring to the Texans? Younger and preferably faster at both of those positions please and thanks.

This shouldn't be a reunion tour - if they eventually want to sign a one day contract and retire as Texans I would be all over that. But at their age what does either Andre or DeMeco bring to the Texans? Younger and preferably faster at both of those positions please and thanks.
Veteran leadership. Imagine if Jaelen Strong could blossom like DeAndre Hopkins did under Andre Johnson's guidance and mentoring?

We'd have two of the best wide receivers in the game (both young) while a future Hall of Famer in Andre can retire where it began back in 2003. A one day contract is cool and all but it's not the same impact to me.

Even better is that we actually have a good quarterback now. So the importance of developing a true #2 wide receiver threat is more pressing to me. Whether Jaelen Strong becomes a star player or we have to draft another wide receiver in the early rounds.

I want another explosive playmaker on the other side of Hopkins. But with six wide receivers likely on our roster, I wouldn't be against bringing Andre Johnson back for the reasons I stated.

Veteran leadership. Imagine if Jaelen Strong could blossom like DeAndre Hopkins did under Andre Johnson's guidance and mentoring?

We'd have two of the best wide receivers in the game (both young) while a future Hall of Famer in Andre can retire where it began back in 2003. A one day contract is cool and all but it's not the same impact to me.

Even better is that we actually have a good quarterback now. So the importance of developing a true #2 wide receiver threat is more pressing to me. Whether Jaelen Strong becomes a star player or we have to draft another wide receiver in the early rounds.

I want another explosive playmaker on the other side of Hopkins. But with six wide receivers likely on our roster, I wouldn't be against bringing Andre Johnson back for the reasons I stated.

I understand your point and I appreciate the sentiment - both of those guys (along with Arian) are in my short list of favorite Texans players ever. However I don't think they have much if anything left in the tank and taking up a roster spot to be, basically a coach, is what you pay coaches for.

WOW, big day, some actual names getting signed and a new look offensive backfield for 2016 can't be a bad thing.

Is the defense going to get some lovin' too?

Pretty much the perfect spot for him schematically since they flex their TE's out 75% of the time. They overpaid though. That's Jason Witten money.
now that you mention it, I'm surprised the Saints have (had?) that kind of cap room. According to this source, they're pretty close to the $155 mil limit at $149 mil. Wonder how this deal was structured.

AFC SOUTH
Houston
Signed:
QB - Brock Osweiler
RB - Lamar Miller
OG - Jeff Allen
C - Tony Bergstrom

Lost:
OG - Brandon Brooks (Eagles)
C - Ben Jones (Titans)

Indianapolis
Signed:
n/a

Lost:
TE - Coby Fleener (Saints)
SS - Dwight Lowery (Chargers)

Jacksonville
Signed:
RB - Chris Ivory
DE - Malik Jackson
FS - Tashaun Gipson
P - Brad Nortman

Lost:
n/a

Tennessee
Signed:
QB - Matt Cassel
RB - DeMarco Murray
C - Ben Jones
CB - Brice McCain

Lost:
FS - Michael Griffin (Vikings)

I think we're done in FA. We may add some veteran guys on cheap, short term deals but I wouldn't expect the Texans to throw anymore money around. Part of that is wishful thinking on my part. I don't like spending big money in FA. But I like what the Texans did today.

We spent money on Miller. But his salary basically replaces Foster's. And he'll be as old (29) at the end of that contract as Foster is now.

We spent money on Allen. But his salary basically replaces what we would have had to spend to keep Brooks. And we're tied to him for one year less than Brooks got elsewhere. He'll only be 30 when the contract expires. And while he may not be quite at Brooks' level, he's a damn good player.

We spent a ton of money on Osweiler. But we don't draft QBs and that's the going rate on the market for a starting QB. He'll be 29 when the contract expires. We could also cut Hoyer to take some of the sting off the first year cap hit.

Don't know the terms of Bergstrom's contract but Jones got overpaid by Tennessee. I've seen that Bergstrom's contract is only for two years, which makes him 30 when it expires. I would imagine that we draft a C. The rookie's contract combined with Bergstrom's should still be less than what Jones ended up getting.

If you're going to spend big money in FA this is how you do it. Nothing longer than four years and nothing over market value.

I think we're done in FA. We may add some veteran guys on cheap, short term deals but I wouldn't expect the Texans to throw anymore money around. Part of that is wishful thinking on my part. I don't like spending big money in FA. But I like what the Texans did today.

We spent money on Miller. But his salary basically replaces Foster's. And he'll be as old (29) at the end of that contract as Foster is now.

We spent money on Allen. But his salary basically replaces what we would have had to spend to keep Brooks. And we're tied to him for one year less than Brooks got elsewhere. He'll only be 30 when the contract expires. And while he may not be quite at Brooks' level, he's a damn good player.

We spent a ton of money on Osweiler. But we don't draft QBs and that's the going rate on the market for a starting QB. He'll be 29 when the contract expires. We could also cut Hoyer to take some of the sting off the first year cap hit.

Don't know the terms of Bergstrom's contract but Jones got overpaid by Tennessee. I've seen that Bergstrom's contract is only for two years, which makes him 30 when it expires. I would imagine that we draft a C. The rookie's contract combined with Bergstrom's should still be less than what Jones ended up getting.

If you're going to spend big money in FA this is how you do it. Nothing longer than four years and nothing over market value.

Good day for Rick Smith

People can hate on Rick, but he know how to structure contracts. The texans had like 600k of dead money which is peanuts. They will get compensation for brooks and jones.

People can hate on Rick, but he know how to structure contracts. The texans had like 600k of dead money which is peanuts. They will get compensation for brooks and jones.

Even though we signed their replacement minutes after Brooks signed with Philly? I'd have thought it would be a wash.

I agree that Rick and company have done a great job navigating the organization into excellent cap health the past three years. However, I don't think the Texans will get draft compensation for Brooks and Jones, because they would have to end free agency with a net loss of qualifying free agents signed and lost. Right now, the Texans have signed 3 qualifying (maybe 4, depending on Bergstrom) and lost 2.

I wonder how they are going to upgrade the TE position. The draft is lacking.

Me too: Looking at the roster, I see the following glaring needs (realizing upgrading starters and adding depth in other areas would be a good idea as well):

1. Tight End

2. Defensive Front (NT or 2 gap DE)

3. WR (either a dynamic slot receiver, or an edge speed/deep threat)

The draft is chalked full of defensive linemen. However, there isn't much in the draft nor in the remaining free agency to address TE and WR. I'm interested in seeing the plan unfold.

Me too: Looking at the roster, I see the following glaring needs (realizing upgrading starters and adding depth in other areas would be a good idea as well):

1. Tight End

2. Defensive Front (NT or 2 gap DE)

3. WR (either a dynamic slot receiver, or an edge speed/deep threat)

The draft is chalked full of defensive linemen. However, there isn't much in the draft nor in the remaining free agency to address TE and WR. I'm interested in seeing the plan unfold.

I like Wallace in FA honestly. Not to old, has speed and will fit our offense IMO.

Duane Brown's injury worries me. I so want a OT in the draft now that we addressed a lot of areas in FA. Worst case Brown is healthy and the sloth we have playing RT reverts back to pre-big contract mode and the rookie sits or comes in on goal line packages.

I like Wallace in FA honestly. Not to old, has speed and will fit our offense IMO.

I would kick the tires of:
Brian Quick (did he sign?)
Chris Givens
Rod Streater (health?)
Andre Holmes

I would also consider:
Anquan Boldin- no speed left, but he might come cheap (looking for a chance to win)... He has a great attitude and does the little things very well. He could play in the slot similar to Kevin Walter's role a few years ago- almost like an H-Back because of his size and ability to block.

Mohammed Sanu- Also has marginal speed, but does so many things well and could work from that Kevin Walter slot position like Boldin.

Chris Givens
Rod Streater (health?)
Andre Holmes

I would also consider:
Anquan Boldin- no speed left, but he might come cheap (looking for a chance to win)... He has a great attitude and does the little things very well. He could play in the slot similar to Kevin Walter's role a few years ago- almost like an H-Back because of his size and ability to block.

Mohammed Sanu- Also has marginal speed, but does so many things well and could work from that Kevin Walter slot position like Boldin.

I think Sanu is headed to the Pats...seem to recall reading that earlier this morning.

Chris Givens
Rod Streater (health?)
Andre Holmes

I would also consider:

Quick re-signed with Rams. Sanu is going to Falcons or Pats (probably Falcons).

Back