Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2016 Free agent targets

Steelers sign TE Ladarius Green 4 yrs / $20M.

Damn. We could have afforded that.
Yeah, he definitely would have been my first choice of available TEs, with Fleener #2. Maybe he just wanted to go to Pittsburgh. He signed early today. Shame. When the only thing holding you back from being a top TE in the league is maybe the greatest TE of all-time, I'd say your worth taking a shot on.

I read this response often and don't get it.

Try to expound. First not directed specifically @ you. In general all the fans worried about Texans over spending. This is a billion dollar business the cap is going higher & regardless all fans really want is a winner that can compete for a Championship. 15 million or 20 million why should we, as fans care? That is the going price for franchise QB's in 2016. In 3 or four years this cost will look like a steal, obviously if he lives up to those expectations, which are now on both Rick & O'Brian which is exactly where it should be.

My second point, obviously before the signing, was that even if you or I have a second round grade on a QB prospect (not best player available) let's use Hackenberg as the example, it's worth projecting him into 1st rd, consideration because you secure his services that key 5th year. Which in this case ended up costing Broncos their starting QB as he went via FA having been selected in the 2nd rd. Food for thought :barman:

Try to expound. First not directed specifically @ you. In general all the fans worried about Texans over spending. This is a billion dollar business the cap is going higher & regardless all fans really want is a winner that can compete for a Championship. 15 million or 20 million why should we, as fans care? That is the going price for franchise QB's in 2016. In 3 or four years this cost will look like a steal, obviously if he lives up to those expectations, which are now on both Rick & O'Brian which is exactly where it should be.

My second point, obviously before the signing, was that even if you or I have a second round grade on a QB prospect (not best player available) let's use Hackenberg as the example, it's worth projecting him into 1st rd, consideration because you secure his services that key 5th year. Which in this case ended up costing Broncos their starting QB as he went via FA having been selected in the 2nd rd. Food for thought :barman:
Because it's just such a silly question. Let me ask you a question what woukd you say if the Texans announced today they signed a long snapper and used up all of the remaining cap for this year and the next two following years?

Because it's just such a silly question. Let me ask you a question what woukd you say if the Texans announced today they signed a long snapper and used up all of the remaining cap for this year and the next two following years?

So, what if the Texans signed a QB who was at the top of the FA class that no one expected them to get, and they've still got lots of cap space for the foreseeable future? Would that bother you?

That's not even apples vs oranges. Ridiculous comparison. Don't think 2 million dollars (reportedly what Broncos offered) in this situation makes a damn bit of difference when applied to need for addressing franchise QB.

So it is your understanding that we've used up all our remaining cap for this year & next. Is that what you're saying?

I know Texans would never do it but a 1 year deal for Aldon Smith

Aldon Smith
, (OLB) 26 OAK
Can't ignore massive off-field concerns or top-five rush ability, ripe age

I'm more concerned with starting the right OLB in the right position. Mercilus needs to be WOLB regardless of Clowney's status. He's our best outside rusher from OLB and they need to stop trying to force the issue when they put him at SOLB. Please just fix that, depth can come later.

Would OB give him the time of day? Rumor has it that he's not the best of team mates.

Seems petty doesnt it? I havent heard those reports, have heard Green Bay has a massive boner for the guy. I think he could come in and at least give you a year or two while you figure out what you're going to do with the position.

Same way I feel about Eric Weddle. I think he could come in for a year or two and hold down one of the safety position.

Screw it now Im getting greedy. First year this team has made it rain, why stop there.

Getting into a fight during practice, questioning his role in the red zone offense, being a goofy kid and posting homemade rap videos and making wierd and eclectic comments makes him a knucklehead. Got it.

Getting into a fight during practice, questioning his role in the red zone offense, being a goofy kid and posting homemade rap videos and making wierd and eclectic comments makes him a knucklehead. Got it.
So he is DJ Swearinger?

I read this often & that's your opinion but not your money so why care?

Here's one small detail that if Broncos took Osweiler in 1st instead of 2nd they would still hold his 5th year option. I'm saying this because if they don't get Brock then they need to spend a 1st on one @ 22, regardless if they can't trade up because it may take four years to know exactly what you got & another year to set up salary room to keep him as your franchise QB.
So, what if the Texans signed a QB who was at the top of the FA class that no one expected them to get, and they've still got lots of cap space for the foreseeable future? Would that bother you?

No!

Do you realize that we've still got lots of cap space for the foreseeable future? His contract is not some huge burden that's going to kill us for years if he's not the guy. We should still be sitting pretty cap-wise come 2017 and 2018. Osweiler's contract is not a killer except for the first year, and a little bit the second. If we cut him after the second year, we actually clear a ton more cap space. If we like him after the second year, we can extend him AND STILL end up with more cap space.

Reactions: JB
You asked me this.

I read this often & that's your opinion but not your money so why care?

I said this is a silly question. I asked you this.

It's not apples to oranges. You just don't like the question because you know what I'm going to say. What does it matter it's not your money. Hensel that's why it's beyond sill to ask that question.

Do you realize that we've still got lots of cap space for the foreseeable future? His contract is not some huge burden that's going to kill us for years if he's not the guy. We should still be sitting pretty cap-wise come 2017 and 2018. Osweiler's contract is not a killer except for the first year, and a little bit the second. If we cut him after the second year, we actually clear a ton more cap space. If we like him after the second year, we can extend him AND STILL end up with more cap space.

I know all this and agree with so don't know why you are asking me this.

How much is DeMeco Ryans looking for?
He should be a bargain on a 1 or 2-year deal.
31-year-old veteran leader, who has lost a step or two.

We just lost linebacker Justin Tuggle to the Browns.
He wasn't really a guy we wanted to re-sign it seems like.

We'll probably draft a linebacker in the middle rounds?

Our depth at linebacker looks a little more iffy to me. If Jadeveon Clowney can stay healthy, if Brian Cushing can stay healthy too, (but we know both guys are likely to miss games) it's not as bad as it seems.

And if Whitney Mercilus continues to rack up the sacks, and if Bernardrick McKinney and Max Bullough continue to develop, perhaps we'll be fine. But too many "ifs" to me. I'd feel better bringing in an experienced veteran and another young stud at that position.

If John Simon continues to over-achieve. Etc... Etc...

I don't want to rest on "what ifs", I want to be deep at linebacker just in case.

Is he going to play ST?
LOL, I doubt it. He'd be like having an extra coach on the field though. Very intelligent player who was a team captain on defense every place he has played. I could see him coaching when he retires. He'd make a heck of a linebackers coach and eventually work his way up to defensive coordinator.

He could be a nice veteran signing for a contender that may have a couple question marks with their depth at linebackers. While I think we're okay at linebacker, a couple injuries, a couple young players not progressing fast enough, and all of a sudden I think we have a bit of a need at linebacker as I touched on before.

How much is DeMeco Ryans looking for?
He should be a bargain on a 1 or 2-year deal.
31-year-old veteran leader, who has lost a step or two.

We just lost linebacker Justin Tuggle to the Browns.
He wasn't really a guy we wanted to re-sign it seems like.

We'll probably draft a linebacker in the middle rounds?

Our depth at linebacker looks a little more iffy to me. If Jadeveon Clowney can stay healthy, if Brian Cushing can stay healthy too, (but we know both guys are likely to miss games) it's not as bad as it seems.

And if Whitney Mercilus continues to rack up the sacks, and if Bernardrick McKinney and Max Bullough continue to develop, perhaps we'll be fine. But too many "ifs" to me. I'd feel better bringing in an experienced veteran and another young stud at that position.

If John Simon continues to over-achieve. Etc... Etc...

I don't want to rest on "what ifs", I want to be deep at linebacker just in case.

Being deep at LB is a great thing. However there are only so many resources to go around. Fixing the OL, getting help on the DL for Watt/Wilfork and finding playmakers at WR are bigger priorities. IMHO

Shouldn't we just snag any ne player or NFC team that runs or system. ....???? Lol

Also I know he's old but Wes welker is,sitting on the couch there is,your slot receiver right there

Replacement for Newton? Or is Brown's injury going to keep him out going into the season? Either way looks like OL will be getting addressed early and often this offseason.

Agreed Pencil Neck. But Okung's health doesn't make me feel any better. He has never started 16 games in a season and is coming off a dislocated shoulder (i'm sure CND can weigh in). If signed I hope it's because they plan to move him to RT and compete with Newton. Not because Brown's health is in question.

Agreed Pencil Neck. But Okung's health doesn't make me feel any better. He has never started 16 games in a season and is coming off a dislocated shoulder (i'm sure CND can weigh in). If signed I hope it's because they plan to move him to RT and compete with Newton. Not because Brown's health is in question.

Maybe they figure they can get a third of a season out of Okung, a third of a season out of Clark, and then let Brown finish off the last third of the season, into the playoffs and through the SB.

So I pulled up Over The Cap:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans

Brown can be cut for 2.5 million in dead money but save the team 7 million. Next year he has zero guaranteed money and would cost the team nothing to release him.

IMO one of two things are at play here.
1) Texans using this Okung visit as leverage to get brown to rework his deal to free up more money (Nuk extension)
2) They have gone full Patriots. Cut a man a year before he starts to fall off. His injury has the potential to be pretty severe and not allow him to return in time for TC

Just my 2 cents

How much do we have to offer him?
That's a little tough to answer as it doesn't appear that the structure of Lamar Miller's contract has been released yet, so his 2016 cap hit isn't included in any of the tracking sites right now. But if you back out the draft pool amount, it looks like there's approx. $10 Million before Miller's cap hit is taken into account. Hoyer's currently just under $5 Million against the cap, with no dead money if waived or traded, so if he goes away anytime soon, that likely comes within a million or two of cancelling out Miller's eventual impact.

So I pulled up Over The Cap:

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/houston-texans

Brown can be cut for 2.5 million in dead money but save the team 7 million. Next year he has zero guaranteed money and would cost the team nothing to release him.

IMO one of two things are at play here.
1) Texans using this Okung visit as leverage to get brown to rework his deal to free up more money (Nuk extension)
2) They have gone full Patriots. Cut a man a year before he starts to fall off. His injury has the potential to be pretty severe and not allow him to return in time for TC

Just my 2 cents

They can't cut him whilst he's on IR, can they?

Back