Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2016 Free agent targets

They cant match "anything". Even with Peyton retiring the have around 8-9 million freed up right now after you include the space the got fro Mannings retirement and onclude 5 million for draft picks. They also have to put some aside for when they tender their vested vets.
There's always a way. Teams massage the cap all the time to fit players

NFL network is having free agent frenzy for those rumors and other develpoments...11am central

I know Denver just won the SB but I don't see it being so far-fetched that Osweiler might leave Denver for another team in FA. Denver went all in to win now and it worked. But they are entering cap hell because of that decision and are going to be losing a lot of contributors in the near future because of cap issues.

Charles RobinsonVerified account
‏@CharlesRobinson
Brock Osweiler and #Texans: #NFL source says Houston is expected to make competitive offer in both guaranteed money and per-year avg salary.

nsr.gif

I know Denver just won the SB but I don't see it being so far-fetched that Osweiler might leave Denver for another team in FA. Denver went all in to win now and it worked. But they are entering cap hell because of that decision and are going to be losing a lot of contributors in the near future because of cap issues.

I dont know about that, the Broncos are losing only Jackson and Trevathian off of their defense. These guys while really good players are replaceable especially in this yrs draft. If they re-sign Osweiler their skill positions are in tact and the OL needed to be upgraded any ways. Finding a RB and fixing the OL is one of Kubiak's/Gibbs' strengths.

Now do I think they will win a SB anytime soon? Doubtful.

With Brock you already know what you have to work with to a point, not backing him just stating some things. Any of the college QB's can become the next Manning, Marino or Rodgers, or they could be a Ryan leaf, J. Russell, V. Young. Both are a crap shoot for a lot of money. Do you go with the Devil you know or the one you hope you know? I really don't see a QB dropping to #22, from what I've read on here not a lot of you want to move up to get one either. So the Texans are in a no man's land, grab what you know or roll the dice. grab(Brock, RGIII) or hope for one to drop or jump up and grab one. Tough choices glad it's not mine. Just ready for them to grab a winner and run with it.

I dont know about that, the Broncos are losing only Jackson and Trevathian off of their defense. These guys while really good players are replaceable especially in this yrs draft. If they re-sign Osweiler their skill positions are in tact and the OL needed to be upgraded any ways. Finding a RB and fixing the OL is one of Kubiak's/Gibbs' strengths.

Now do I think they will win a SB anytime soon? Doubtful.

These are the starters who are FA's this year. Keep in mind that Denver has $9M in cap space (and still has to pay Miller).

QB - Osweiler
RB - Hillman
OG - Mathis
C - Paradis
DE - Jackson
ILB - Trevathan
K - McManus

Then they also have contributors like Bruton, Bolden, Smith, and Harris are also FA's. One of the league's worst OL's is set to lose 2 starters and one of their RB's. They're going to have to address that in the draft while also finding replacements for a high level DE and ILB. All this despite still needing to create cap space to pay their QB and rookie class.

Next year...

RB - Anderson
WR - Sanders
OG - Vasquez
DT - Williams
OLB - Ware
ILB - Marshall
FS - Stewart
P - Colquitt

Contributors - Walker, Webster, and Barrett.

They are going to lose people.

I don't understand all the complaining about the Texans potentially bidding for Osweiler. The Texans are salary cap rich the next couple years. Therefore, spending premium for Osweiler is relatively low risk, especially since he could potentially be a long term answer at QB. And, even if he isn't, the Texans still can add a QB project in the draft (not to mention talent at other positions).

It is a much smaller risk, and much less disruptive to the 2016 and 2017 Texans than a mega trade to grab Goff or Wentz.

I would think Texan fans would be stoked that the Texans are so aggressive to solve the quarterback position. I don't see how anyone could be convinced Osweiler will be a bust. There is plenty to be excited about regarding his potential, and I don't think he will be less than a serviceable starter.

These are the starters who are FA's this year. Keep in mind that Denver has $9M in cap space (and still has to pay Miller).
Any cap number you see should already reflect Miller's salary at the franchise tag number. That amount is credited against the teams cap amount at the time the franchise designation is made.

I don't understand all the complaining about the Texans potentially bidding for Osweiler. The Texans are salary cap rich the next couple years. Therefore, spending premium for Osweiler is relatively low risk, especially since he could potentially be a long term answer at QB. And, even if he isn't, the Texans still can add a QB project in the draft (not to mention talent at other positions).

It is a much smaller risk, and much less disruptive to the 2016 and 2017 Texans than a mega trade to grab Goff or Wentz.

I would think Texan fans would be stoked that the Texans are so aggressive to solve the quarterback position. I don't see how anyone could be convinced Osweiler will be a bust. There is plenty to be excited about regarding his potential, and I don't think he will be less than a serviceable starter.

The problem is for anyone who feels convinced that Osweiler won't be more than pretty ok. Somewhere between Fitz and good Schaub.

I don't know if it amounts to complaining, maybe more like uneasy resignation.

And another project in the draft isn't sweetening the deal.

Any cap number you see should already reflect Miller's salary at the franchise tag number. That amount is credited against the teams cap amount at the time the franchise designation is made.

Yes I know. I'm saying they have to pay him long term and he wants to be the highest paid defender in the NFL. That number is going to be higher than $14M per year (which is what the tag was worth).

Now they could come to some type of team friendly arrangement like Suh did with Miami where he only takes a $5M cap hit this year and that gives the team almost $10M more to work with this year, but that would also make his cap number in 2019-2020 something crazy like $26-28M.

In a seven game stretch (games he started) last year, there were only 4 QB's that were statisticaly worse. Well at least that's what I heard on the radio this morning

Reactions: ROO

QB - Osweiler
RB - Hillman
OG - Mathis
C - Paradis
DE - Jackson
ILB - Trevathan
K - McManus

Then they also have contributors like Bruton, Bolden, Smith, and Harris are also FA's. One of the league's worst OL's is set to lose 2 starters and one of their RB's. They're going to have to address that in the draft while also finding replacements for a high level DE and ILB. All this despite still needing to create cap space to pay their QB and rookie class.

Next year...

RB - Anderson
WR - Sanders
OG - Vasquez
DT - Williams
OLB - Ware
ILB - Marshall
FS - Stewart
P - Colquitt

Contributors - Walker, Webster, and Barrett.

They are going to lose people.

Out of this yr the like I said Jackson/Trevathan are replaceable. Paradis is a young guy I think they will keep. I believe he's a cheap RFA.

2017, they will have to find a way to keep Marshall, I think Ware retires and also keep Sanders.

Will they lose people? Yes, are those people replaceable, yes.

Look at it this way will the Texans be losing players over the next couple of yrs? D.Brown on offense and the talent on offense is subpar. Defense, Wilfork/JoJo/Cushing/ Probably Crick and Demps will be gone.

All teams lose guys it's how they are replaced is what counts. So far if it comes down to replacing lost players who do you trust to do the better job? Elway/Smith

Correct the $9 mil figure already has Miller franchised and Manning gone.

They have some other flexibility. Demaryus Thomas has a S13 mil base salary that could easily converted to signing bonus (as was done with JJ) clearing $9 mil in space. Clady has said he would rework his contract which currently stands at $10.1 mil. Also Ware who is at $11.66 mil.

In a seven game stretch (games he started) last year, there were only 4 QB's that were statisticaly worse. Well at least that's what I heard on the radio this morning

At first I thought that was asinine because he had an 87.8 QB Rating during his 7 game starting stretch. But, extrapolated over the entire season, he only finished ahead of...

Bradford
Gabbert/Kaepernick
Winston
Luck/Hasselbeck
Flacco
Foles
Manning

so that number might actually be accurate.

Correct the $9 mil figure already has Miller franchised and Manning gone.

They have some other flexibility. Demaryus Thomas has a S13 mil base salary that could easily converted to signing bonus (as was done with JJ) clearing $9 mil in space. Clady has said he would rework his contract which currently stands at $10.1 mil. Also Ware who is at $11.66 mil.

Of course, the Texans (assuming they cut Hoyer), are $47 million under the cap and also have flexibility. As importantly, the Texans are about $60 million under the 2017 cap (without a lot of key free agents)... We just don't have any bad contracts on the books right now, which sets the team up well to do whatever is needed in free agency. IF they like Osweiler (and think he has the maturity to handle becoming an instant mega-millionaire), then they simply need to win the bidding war, whatever it takes.

Yes I know. I'm saying they have to pay him long term and he wants to be the highest paid defender in the NFL. That number is going to be higher than $14M per year (which is what the tag was worth).

Now they could come to some type of team friendly arrangement like Suh did with Miami where he only takes a $5M cap hit this year and that gives the team almost $10M more to work with this year, but that would also make his cap number in 2019-2020 something crazy like $26-28M.
I believe the number will go down some if they get a long-term deal done. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. You mentioned Suh, but JJ's cap hit under the first year of his current deal was under $5 Million and it doesn't have the crazy future cap amounts Suh does.

If Denver's even a little bit cap-strapped, there's no way in the world they'll do a LT deal that increases Miller's 2016 cap amount.

Yeah... I didn't know what to make of that either. He completed 61% of his passes, 7.2 ypa, 86 passer rating. He was below 60% completion twice. He had over 100 passer rating twice... not great, but only 4 worse?? Gonna take more digging.

I believe the number will go down some if they get a long-term deal done. Maybe a little, maybe a lot. You mentioned Suh, but JJ's cap hit under the first year of his current deal was under $5 Million and it doesn't have the crazy future cap amounts Suh does.

If Denver's even a little bit cap-strapped, there's no way in the world they'll do a LT deal that increases Miller's 2016 cap amount.

Suh's contract was a bit bigger than Watt's.

Suh - 6 yrs / $114M ($60M guaranteed)
Watt - 6 yrs / $100M ($52M guaranteed)

Also, Suh's cap amounts are crazy because Miami just restructured him a year into the deal to create cap space because they are in cap hell.

You're right that Denver will structure the contract in a way to alleviate some of the cap burden early but they are on the fringe of cap hell and they need to be careful with that contract or they could enter into a Cowboys/Romo or Dolphins/Suh type situation where you are constantly trying to push things back to alleviate cap burden.

Suh's contract was a bit bigger than Watt's.

Suh - 6 yrs / $114M ($60M guaranteed)
Watt - 6 yrs / $100M ($52M guaranteed)

Also, Suh's cap amounts are crazy because Miami just restructured him a year into the deal to create cap space because they are in cap hell.

You're right that Denver will structure the contract in a way to alleviate some of the cap burden early but they are on the fringe of cap hell and they need to be careful with that contract or they could enter into a Cowboys/Romo or Dolphins/Suh type situation where you are constantly trying to push things back to alleviate cap burden.

Kinda like Smith did with Watt and also did with the bank of AJ for several yrs.

Look at it this way will the Texans be losing players over the next couple of yrs? D.Brown on offense and the talent on offense is subpar. Defense, Wilfork/JoJo/Cushing/ Probably Crick and Demps will be gone.

Difference is the Texans have 5x the cap space.

All teams lose guys it's how they are replaced is what counts. So far if it comes down to replacing lost players who do you trust to do the better job? Elway/Smith

Obviously I wouldn't trust Smith with my lunch money but I wouldn't expect a QB from Denver to be as jaded about his ability to do his job as all of us are. If the guy is looking ahead (which he may not be; maybe he just cares about dollars right now or loyalty to Denver, etc.) then he would do well to step back and look at Denver's situation. They are a very veteran heavy team that is going to be transitioning out of win now mode in the near future.

Miami beat writer anticipates Lamar Miller hitting the FA market. Apparently looking for $7-8M per year while Miami was only willing to offer up $5M.

With $9M in cap space now, how attractive can a three year deal be from Denver?

I would still make an offer.
Miller in 4 games vs. Titans, Texans, Ravens, Giants - 490 yards - 66 carries - 7.54 YPC
Miller in remaining 12 games - 382 yards - 129 carries - 2.96 YPC

I'm not saying I don't want him - just that he may have a bigger bust possibility than some.

Brock has started what, 22 total games between NFL and college? With that limited experience and showing so many positives, I think he would be a fine choice. He learned from Manning, Elway and Gary and add in BoB taking him over, he has all the knowledge of the position behind him. Getting him would really free up our draft and the rest of free agency which would be amazing. I need to watch more of Brock in the next day or so.

From what I remember, he looked brilliant at times, but was inconsistent. That could be because of his limited experience. His upside seems huge and he would instantly be the best qb we have had in 2 seasons.

I would draft hack as late as I could and roll with Brock, Savage and Hack

Brock has started what, 22 total games between NFL and college? With that limited experience and showing so many positives, I think he would be a fine choice. He learned from Manning, Elway and Gary and add in BoB taking him over, he has all the knowledge of the position behind him. Getting him would really free up our draft and the rest of free agency which would be amazing. I need to watch more of Brock in the next day or so.

From what I remember, he looked brilliant at times, but was inconsistent. That could be because of his limited experience. His upside seems huge and he would instantly be the best qb we have had in 2 seasons.

I would draft COOK as late as I could and roll with Brock, Savage and COOK
FIFY.

Ryan Matthews has 2 years left on his deal, $3 mil in '16, $4 mil in '17. I'd be more interested in him than Murray's monster contract ($7 mil in '16, $7.5 mil each in '17-'19).

Ryan Matthews has 2 years left on his deal, $3 mil in '16, $4 mil in '17. I'd be more interested in him than Murray's monster contract ($7 mil in '16, $7.5 mil each in '17-'19).

Matthews for 5th rounder this year or a conditional pick for next year (games played or yards gained)

Last edited:
Murray is a much better RB than Matthews.

Eagles GM that was demoted by Kelly has been promoted back to GM and is gutting the team of all players that Kelly acquired. Mathews and Murray are both on the block and rumor is that Maxwell and Alonso are on their way to Miami.

Updated Cap Space according to NFLN

1. Jaguars - $82.2M
2. 49ers - $62.3M
3. Raiders - $60.0M
4. Bucs - $57.4M
5. Giants - $56.6M
6. Browns - $50.1M
7. Titans - $49.6M
8. Bears - $46.6M
9. Rams - $44.6M
10. Texans - $41.6M

Murray also didn't play behind the Cowboys All Pro o-line, as he did leading the league in rushing in '14.
True, but he's also a back that needs the touches to get his rhythm. He gets better with more touches.

Miami beat writer anticipates Lamar Miller hitting the FA market. Apparently looking for $7-8M per year while Miami was only willing to offer up $5M.
I'm ready for the rocks to be thrown, but I'd prefer going after Miller for $7M rather than Osweiler for 15M. I think we already have our QB of the future. He just needs the opportunity to show it.

Back