Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

#12 Pick

mussop

Hall of Fame
If you want to add a weapon to the offense then you add Robinson over any other skill player if he’s there at 12. There are good WRs available but none that will impact a DC’s gameplan like Robinson. Yes, the team has Pierce and Singletary, which is great. But adding Robinson makes it the best RB room in the NFL.

And your top two backs are on their rookie contracts with fresh legs. If you choose to go that route of course…
Exactly it’s not complicated. This could be our Fred Taylor-Maurice Jones-Drew or our Alvin Kamara-Mark Ingram. That’s how you help a young new QB. Give him a great run game.

Exactly it’s not complicated. This could be our Fred Taylor-Maurice Jones-Drew or our Alvin Kamara-Mark Ingram. That’s how you help a young new QB. Give him a great run game.
I agree a great running game helps any QB, but is that the standard MO in today's NFL? Off the top of my head I'd guess the good young QBs on a team that run the ball really well would be Hurts, Allen and Jackson and they contribute to that run game significantly. TBH, my only hope this year is that the players chosen in rd 1 come in with a clean bill of health.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If the RB is Bijan Robinson him over any TE. He will cause much bigger problems for defenses and that isn't in doubt
Mayer is just as exciting a prospect at his position and has terrific hands.
A TE is a (rookie) QBs best friend.
A big target close to the line of scrimmage will help a short QB.

Last edited:

Porky

Hall of Fame
Longevity guys. Rb’s are like shooting stars. We have two good RB’s. When they signed Devon, that’s your sign guys. It’s in neon lights. They aren’t drafting Bijon. Next.

regarding Mayer, I would rather have Darnell Washington at 33 if he drops. Mayer seems like an everything good, nothing great guy. I think he will be a solid pro TE but not spectacular. Washington needs more polish, but if he hits he could be a game changer. And BTW TE’s do not flame out in 3-4 years.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Longevity guys. Rb’s are like shooting stars. We have two good RB’s. When they signed Devon, that’s your sign guys. It’s in neon lights. They aren’t drafting Bijon. Next.

regarding Mayer, I would rather have Darnell Washington at 33 if he drops. Mayer seems like an everything good, nothing great guy. I think he will be a solid pro TE but not spectacular. Washington needs more polish, but if he hits he could be a game changer. And BTW TE’s do not flame out in 3-4 years.
It was just a hypothetical... you don't have to play. They just signed Schultz It's in neon lights, they aren't taking a TE at 12 either. Of the TE's I prefer Washington also.

As far as flaming out in 3-4 years, did Peterson? Tomlinson? You don't know how Bijan is going to do

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Mayer is not even the consensus #1 TE
Most have Kincaid as #1, some have Musgrave.
Yes, I think Bijan is much better
I know Bijan is a great runner and receiver. I do like him too but it's a pipe dream to think Texans take him at #12.
Probably so with Mayer as well.
Mayer has been the consensus #1 TE on every board I have seen from day 1.

Porky

Hall of Fame
It was just a hypothetical... you don't have to play. They just signed Schultz It's in neon lights, they aren't taking a TE at 12 either. Of the TE's I prefer Washington also.

As far as flaming out in 3-4 years, did Peterson? Tomlinson? You don't know how Bijan is going to do
Ok I'll stop playing lol. Y'all get back to indulging in your football fantasies. I'll leave you guys with this. There are tons of RB that make it big from first rounders to UDFA's. Austin Ekelar is a good example. If any fanbase should know this, it's this one. Arian Foster wasn't drafted, and was one of the best in the NFL for 3-4 years. And then....like the rest quickly flamed out. Pierce was a 4th. We've had others that were 3rd rounders like Slaton. The ones that don't flame out don't tend to get extended very often. Their team releases them into the wind, letting some other team take on a big contract for a RB that is declining...then they simply grab another one in the draft. Yes there are a few exceptions to the rule, but the vast majority are 3-5 year guys and then they drop off quickly thereafter. It's for these and many other reasons I am opposed to a 1st round RB. I'll leave you guys to it from here...

And I agree on TE which is why I mentioned I'd take Washington at 33 if he drops. Doubt he makes it to 33 but if he did, I am very tempted. I'm not taking him or any TE at 12. Granted Schultz is a patented NC one-year rental with no guarantee he'll be here in 24. Still, I can't justify a TE at 12 right now. That's a luxury pick like RB.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Mayer is just as exciting a prospect at his position and has terrific hands.
A TE is a (rookie) QBs best friend.
A big target close to the line of scrimmage will help a short QB.
I think historically it's been said a RB to dump off to is QBs best friend. "A big target close to LOS ..." that's Bijan. What TE has his speed and he blocks.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
I know Bijan is a great runner and receiver. I do like him too but it's a pipe dream to think Texans take him at #12.
Probably so with Mayer as well.
Mayer has been the consensus #1 TE on every board I have seen from day 1.
No I don't think anyone truly believes they WILL take Bijan at #12

mussop

Hall of Fame
We already have a satisfactory upgrade at RB and it can be argued the TE corp has too, but like I have already stated, one on either side of the line would create some problems for defenses
Would you prefer a RB or a TE at #12?
I want the player that is going to contribute the most. Look at all each bring to the table and you’re telling me its one of these TEs would bring more to the table than Bijan? Let’s not forget that this is a deep TE draft and you can get pretty similar players 5 deep in this TE class. If you still want a TE do it a #33 or down with #12. There is no TE in this draft worth picking at 12. And I really like this TE class.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I want the player that is going to contribute the most. Look at all each bring to the table and you’re telling me its one of these TEs would bring more to the table than Bijan? Let’s not forget that this is a deep TE draft and you can get pretty similar players 5 deep in this TE class. If you still want a TE do it a #33 or down with #12. There is no TE in this draft worth picking at 12. And I really like this TE class.
RB class appears deeper to me than TE but I wouldn't take TE at 12. Bijan brings more than any TE . If QB at 2, next biggest need is center but that can be filled round 3. Next priority is WR and that can be filled after round one. 12 is high odds to be traded but what team has to trade up?
I'm thinking Texans keep 12.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
WR duh! Lets not over think this
Tend to agree.
Texans have several holes to fill yet but if they take a QB at #2, then they can do their new signal caller a big boost and get him a legit #1 receiver in Quentin Johnson.
If he's off the board, that opens the door for another position like Edge or just go BPA.

mussop

Hall of Fame
At their respective positions yes.
Is Robinson as good a blocker as Mayer?
Or receiver?
Actually, YES! Bijapur can line up in the slot and be very effective. He also is an exceptional blocker.
RB class appears deeper to me than TE but I wouldn't take TE at 12. Bijan brings more than any TE . If QB at 2, next biggest need is center but that can be filled round 3. Next priority is WR and that can be filled after round one. 12 is high odds to be traded but what team has to trade up?
I'm thinking Texans keep 12.
RB is deep but there is only one RB that falls under “elite” status. I know we aren’t going to draft him but IMO we should. He is a top 5 talent and if (big if) he’s there at 12 we should run up to the podium. Single tart is on a one year contract and didn’t get resigned by his old team. Pierce is an exiting young RB but his style while incredibly fun to watch is going to take a toll on his health sooner than later. Hell he already missed the last few games of his first year.
Pairing Pierce with Bijan is really a perfect combination.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Actually, YES! Bijapur can line up in the slot and be very effective. He also is an exceptional blocker.

RB is deep but there is only one RB that falls under “elite” status. I know we aren’t going to draft him but IMO we should. He is a top 5 talent and if (big if) he’s there at 12 we should run up to the podium. Single tart is on a one year contract and didn’t get resigned by his old team. Pierce is an exiting young RB but his style while incredibly fun to watch is going to take a toll on his health sooner than later. Hell he already missed the last few games of his first year.
I agree BR and DP would make an awesome duo moving forward if they drop Singletary after '23 and be one of if not the best running back corps in the league and that would be golden.
However, RBs only average around three years in the league and if you use a pick that high in a draft, you want more than that.
Texans have had multiple meetings with a couple of backs down in the mid rounds - two exciting prospects that I like a lot.
Tyjae Spears had an injury but looks good to go and Keandre Mitchell looks dangerous with the ball in his hands.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame

I agree on bijon Robinson however, Zach Charbonnet pretty close in all aspects. I like Israel Abanikanda and both will not take pick 12.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I agree BR and DP would make an awesome duo moving forward if they drop Singletary after '23 and be one of if not the best running back corps in the league and that would be golden.
However, RBs only average around three years in the league and if you use a pick that high in a draft, you want more than that.
Texans have had multiple meetings with a couple of backs down in the mid rounds - two exciting prospects that I like a lot.
Tyjae Spears had an injury but looks good to go and Keandre Mitchell looks dangerous with the ball in his hands.
I think the conundrum with running backs is: do we replace Singletary in 2024 rather than 2023?

Number19

Hall of Fame
I agree on bijon Robinson however, Zach Charbonnet pretty close in all aspects. I like Israel Abanikanda and both will not take pick 12.
With Singletary backing up Pierce, as our one two, I'm liking waiting until the third day to add to the backfield. And I'm still liking hybrid FB/H-back Hunter Luepke, who can run, block and catch. He's not a break away back, but a power back who likes to run over players. He likely can be picked up in the 6th or 7th rounds and should be a standout special teamer, according to reports.

badboy

Hall of Fame
With Singletary backing up Pierce, as our one two, I'm liking waiting until the third day to add to the backfield. And I'm still liking hybrid FB/H-back Hunter Luepke, who can run, block and catch. He's not a break away back, but a power back who likes to run over players. He likely can be picked up in the 6th or 7th rounds and should be a standout special teamer, according to reports.
An RB gets hit so often even when not carrying the ball; if Pierce goes out long term, I would want a player more likely to replace him than an end of the draft dice throw.

SnakeEyes

Under NRG
I'm liking a WR at 12. But, reading some scouting reports I think one can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I also like Calijah Kancey or Lukas Van Ness. The question is is Kancey a 3 down player? I mean he is going to be a good DT. However, will his height be a problem for him at the NFL level? Didn't stop guys like Sapp, so if we can see him as an every down DT, I wouldn't mind. Something about KVN reminds me of a very good edge rusher...just can't remember what his name was. I do admit I see a little Watt in his game.

Number19

Hall of Fame
An RB gets hit so often even when not carrying the ball; if Pierce goes out long term, I would want a player more likely to replace him than an end of the draft dice throw.
I believe we have QB, DE, C, LB & WR as higher priorities than RB. These five represent days one and two picks. So what are you talking about? An early day three pick. A dice throw never-the-less. By my accounts, Luepke may be the highest ranked FB in the draft and one reason, maybe the reason, for his ranking is that the position is devalued. Will the player you want contribute on special teams or simply ride the pine as the third back, until or unless Pierce goes down with an injury?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
I also like Calijah Kancey or Lukas Van Ness. The question is is Kancey a 3 down player?
I don't think it's Kancey's height that keeps him from being a 3 down player. Its playing at 267 Lbs. Teams are in nickel 70% of the game? And d-lineman rotate often. Maybe it's not that big of a deal? I'm starting to believe some team will pull the trigger on Kancey in the top half of the 1st round.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I believe we have QB, DE, C, LB & WR as higher priorities than RB. These five represent days one and two picks. So what are you talking about? An early day three pick. A dice throw never-the-less. By my accounts, Luepke may be the highest ranked FB in the draft and one reason, maybe the reason, for his ranking is that the position is devalued. Will the player you want contribute on special teams or simply ride the pine as the third back, until or unless Pierce goes down with an injury?
Quite a bit of difference between day three round 4/5 than 6/7th, surely you see that? In what I understand the offense to be: heavy run oriented; I want three very good backs and none will be riding the bench or have you a different understanding of this O?

badboy

Hall of Fame
I don't think it's Kancey's height that keeps him from being a 3 down player. Its playing at 267 Lbs. Teams are in nickel 70% of the game? And d-lineman rotate often. Maybe it's not that big of a deal? I'm starting to believe some team will pull the trigger on Kancey in the top half of the 1st round.
I agree and also agree Kancey could go high round one just I hope not to Houston.

badboy

Hall of Fame
They have a lot of picks in this one so maybe they take one they like or wait til UDFA and take the best one?
The wait til later is where 19 was going and I just don't agree with that. If we can get a Pierce type in 4th, I will strongly consider that. Of course if there are 3-4 UDFA you like bring them in and sort 'em out. We've got 2, 12, 33, 65 and 73 to knock out our 'dire needs' and after that the game is on.

Number19

Hall of Fame
Quite a bit of difference between day three round 4/5 than 6/7th, surely you see that? In what I understand the offense to be: heavy run oriented; I want three very good backs and none will be riding the bench or have you a different understanding of this O?
The wait til later is where 19 was going and I just don't agree with that. If we can get a Pierce type in 4th, I will strongly consider that. Of course if there are 3-4 UDFA you like bring them in and sort 'em out. We've got 2, 12, 33, 65 and 73 to knock out our 'dire needs' and after that the game is on.
I agree, from what I've read, the Texans will be a run heavy offense. But I disagree we'll have a three back rotation at the rb position. Any third rb we draft as a running back will see limited playing time unless that player beats out Singletary, or we have an injury.

But, I can see the Texans using a formation where a second back is used in the H-back position or as a FB lead blocker for Pierce.

The Texans currently have two players on the roster as a FB or FB/TE ... Andrew Beck and Troy Hairston. So the question is, can Luepke beat out these two for a starting position, in a two back formation.

Among the three backs, Charbonnet, Abanikanda and Luepke, Luepke has higher grades in run blocking, pass blocking, receiving/hands and breaking tackles. Charbonnet and Abanikanda have a slight edge in rushing.

Also, Luepke can slide into a rb role as a power back.

It all depends on how you see a third back playing a role in our offense.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I'm liking a WR at 12. But, reading some scouting reports I think one can be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I also like Calijah Kancey or Lukas Van Ness. The question is is Kancey a 3 down player? I mean he is going to be a good DT. However, will his height be a problem for him at the NFL level? Didn't stop guys like Sapp, so if we can see him as an every down DT, I wouldn't mind. Something about KVN reminds me of a very good edge rusher...just can't remember what his name was. I do admit I see a little Watt in his game.
The only thing Watt and LVN have in common are their skin color

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
In all honesty….the 12th pick could return an extra RD2 and/or RD3 pick which could allow the Texans to take (2) backs.

I’d like to see the Texans select:

RD3: RB- Devon Achane (Texas A&M) / He’s my choice simply b/c of his speed and ability to become an amazing 3rd down back or change of pace back behind Pierce and Singletary. Texans might also try deploying him as PR/KR as well.

RD6/RD7: FB- Hunter Luepke (North Dakota State) / I see him as a Tom Rathman type for Slowick’s offense. A true lead blocker that can effectively run the ball and be a weapon coming out of the backfield as a receiver. He could also be deployed as an H-Back or lined up as a TE. A complete FB in this day and age of football would be a find even in a pass driven NFL.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
In all honesty….the 12th pick could return an extra ED2 and/or RD3 pick which could allow the Texans to take (2) backs.

I’d like to see the Texans select:

RD3: RB- Devon Achane (Texas A&M) / He’s my choice simply b/c of his speed and ability to become an amazing 3rd down back or change of pace back behind Pierce and Singletary. Texans might also try deploying him as PR/KR as well.

RD6/RD7: FB- Hunter Luepke (North Dakota State) / I see him as a Tom Rathman type for Slowick’s offense. A true lead blocker that can effectively run the ball and be a weapon coming out of the backfield as a receiver. He could also be deployed as an H-Back or Lin ed up as a TE. A complete FB in this day and age of football would be a find even in a pass driven NFL.
Achane is a local kid, playing at Fort Bend Marshall in Missouri City in SW Houston. Wouldn't want to use a prime pick on him, but if he fell to the 4th, because of his size, I'd take a shot, as a KO/PRer.

He was used only sporadically as a ko returner at A&M his last two seasons, with 20 touches for an average of 31.1 yards and had two TD's. Has 8 1/2" hands.

If, a big if, he has reliable hands (why wasn't he used more in the return role at a&m) I'd like to see him as a return specialist, a la Billy White Shoes. An elite returner would be worth a 4th.

(edit) Billy Johnson is the only player to make the 75 year all time team and the 100 year all time team, and NOT be in the Hall of Fame.

Last edited:

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Achane is a local kid, playing at Fort Bend Marshall in Missouri City in SW Houston. Wouldn't want to use a prime pick on him, but if he fell to the 4th, because of his size, I'd take a shot, as a KO/PRer.

He was used only sporadically as a ko returner at A&M his last two seasons, with 20 touches for an average of 31.1 yards and had two TD's. Has 8 1/2" hands.

If, a big if, he has reliable hands (why wasn't he used more in the return role at a&m) I'd like to see him as a return specialist, a la Billy White Shoes. An elite returner would be worth a 4th.
Keaton Mitchell would be an interesting pick - said to be the shiftiest back in the draft and would love to see him tried as a returner as well.

OptimisticTexan

Ainias Smith maybe? Achane was the primary RB last year. Why risk injury as returner?
If his primary roll was as a 3rd down back….the Texans may want to give him a few more touches or chances to utilize his speed as a returner.

Porky

Hall of Fame
Keaton Mitchell would be an interesting pick - said to be the shiftiest back in the draft and would love to see him tried as a returner as well.
That's my guy late in the draft. He'd likely be somewhat of a specialty/gadget player here, who could also be in the mix as a returner. But the dude is shifty as they come. He looks like a greased pig out there.

OptimisticTexan

His prfimary role was an every down back
I don’t think that would be the case for the Texans with Pierce and Singletary in front of him. At 5’-8 1/2” and 188 pounds…..Devon would be better used as a future 3rd down back who could benefit with a FB like Koepke on the field with him at the same time.