Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

12%, err 2%

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Lord almighty that pressure rate has to be among the highest in history. Running for his life on half the plays, yet he's holding the ball too long according to some. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Lord almighty that pressure rate has to be among the highest in history. Running for his life on half the plays, yet he's holding the ball too long according to some. Damned if you do, damned if you dont.
You'd have to be a dead blown idiot to not realize that it's "both." His OLine sucks and makes things much harder for him. He also holds the ball to long sometimes. Get off of this geeky stance of defending Watson to the death and acting like he can't make a mistake. Every QB in the league does. Right now, we don't have Watson from last season. We have someone that has played more like Quincy Carter. Hopefully that changes FAST.

Uncle Rico

You'd have to be a dead blown idiot to not realize that it's "both." His OLine sucks and makes things much harder for him. He also holds the ball to long sometimes. Get off of this geeky stance of defending Watson to the death and acting like he can't make a mistake. Every QB in the league does. Right now, we don't have Watson from last season. We have someone that has played more like Quincy Carter. Hopefully that changes FAST.
Right NOBODY is helping Watson. Its all on him. He'll be alright. Better than making up excuses for Hoyer, Mallet, Leinart, Keenum, Savage and the main problem Buttchin O'Brien himself. Pathetic how people would rather criticize the best aspects of this organization and yet defend the worst. His struggles have allowed people that never like him to come out with adamantium claws spouting off rhetoric like this:
I'll bet after they beat the Titans the same guys will be acting like Watson is MVP already again

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Right NOBODY is helping Watson. Its all on him. He'll be alright. Better than making up excuses for Hoyer, Mallet, Leinart, Keenum, Savage and the main problem Buttchin O'Brien himself. Pathetic how people would rather criticize the best aspects of this organization and yet defend the worst. His struggles have allowed people that never like him to come out with adamantium claws spouting off rhetoric like this:.
I have no idea what you're even talking about in that entire rant.

Uncle Rico

I have no idea what you're even talking about in that entire rant.
Then don't reply. Same old Tex, stop bitching about politics so much and you might be able to keep up with what's actually going on in the field instead of inventing bullshit scenarios with your passive aggressive posts.

Geeky enough?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Then don't reply. Same old Tex, stop bitching about politics so much and you might be able to keep up with what's actually going on in the field instead of inventing bullshit scenarios with your passive aggressive posts.

Geeky enough?
Watson did hold the ball for 17 seconds on the last play of the game and did throw an int into double coverage in the endzone which cost his team a chance to score points.

So despite the crappy OL play, Watson has made his fair share of mistakes. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes. Right now he looks like the middling QB I thought the Texans were drafting rather than the superstar QB he was for 6 games last season. He needs to find that form again and I think he will, I just hope the Texans playoff chances dont go down the tubes before he finds the magic again.

IDEXAN

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I had very little if any expectations that we'd make the POs this year so I can't say I'm really that disappointed though I'm disappointed and surprised that we lost to Gabbert and the second-sting Titans Oline.
At this rate we likely will be top 5 in the '19 Draft where I'm told some good young OT can be found.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

Geeky enough?
Two posts now and both times, you've gone off topic to rant about other stuff instead of the subject.

How about you try describing why nothing is ever Watson's fault with some real analysis and logic behind it. Try explaining to me why he threw into double coverage in the end zone for INT's? How about explaining the fumble problems on snaps? Sitting here acting like he's been flawless makes my reply very easy. The more you talk the more you expose your inability to explain what you see on the field.

And if you want to talk about history, no one forgets you arguing to the whole board how Brady's career was over after one bad game against KC that took place like 4 years ago. But nothing could possibly be Watson's fault ever. Talk about being inconsistent all across the board.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Two posts now and both times, you've gone off topic to rant about other stuff instead of the subject.

How about you try describing why nothing is ever Watson's fault with some real analysis and logic behind it. Try explaining to me why he threw into double coverage in the end zone for INT's? How about explaining the fumble problems on snaps? Sitting here acting like he's been flawless makes my reply very easy. The more you talk the more you expose your inability to explain what you see on the field.

And if you want to talk about history, no one forgets you arguing to the whole board how Brady's career was over after one bad game against KC that took place like 4 years ago. But nothing could possibly be Watson's fault ever. Talk about being inconsistent all across the board.
I will say on the INT to Hopkins, Hopkins did wave his hand signalling for Watson to throw it up. Obviously a more experienced QB probably would've realized his guy is covered, but I'm chalking it up to a young QB trying to let his guy make a play. Bad part is with Nuk signaling to him like that, it made him not even check Fuller who had his man beat for a TD. Watson hasn't played great these last 2 games, he made improvements from game 1 to game 2 lets just hope it continues.

O'Brien is at fault in a lot of it though. After listening to Wade Smith, and Kailee Wong talk this morning about it I've tend to notice the same thing. Our offense will get in a rhythm, and move the ball downfield, then when we are right there on that edge of scoring position, O'Brien will go away from whats working for at least 1 play, and that 1 play has been all thats been needed to knock us off rhythm. He needs to realize he doesn't always have to be the smartest guy on the field, if it's working keep plugging away with it. we have to stop using the RPO unless they actually let Watson run some, the Pats realized early on Watson wasn't going to run with it, the titans played it like they knew he wasn't going to run with it, so all it is effectively doing is giving their rushers an extra second or 2. Also O'Brien's route combinations are some of the most unimaginative, uninspired I have ever seen. Its either the receiver is going to beat his guy, or he is not. There is no scheme to get a certain receiver open on a play, with young QBs you have to give them easy reads some times.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Doubt they'll fire him in mid season. Assuming I'm right do you have a guy you'd like the Texans to pursue? I think my top guy would be Harbaugh. He ought to be about ready to leave Michigan.
if it goes that way which I don't think it will, I am keeping my eye on John Defilipo

KarlK

Waterboy
O'Brien is at fault in a lot of it though. After listening to Wade Smith, and Kailee Wong talk this morning about it I've tend to notice the same thing. Our offense will get in a rhythm, and move the ball downfield, then when we are right there on that edge of scoring position, O'Brien will go away from whats working for at least 1 play, and that 1 play has been all thats been needed to knock us off rhythm. He needs to realize he doesn't always have to be the smartest guy on the field, if it's working keep plugging away with it. we have to stop using the RPO unless they actually let Watson run some, the Pats realized early on Watson wasn't going to run with it, the titans played it like they knew he wasn't going to run with it, so all it is effectively doing is giving their rushers an extra second or 2. Also O'Brien's route combinations are some of the most unimaginative, uninspired I have ever seen. Its either the receiver is going to beat his guy, or he is not. There is no scheme to get a certain receiver open on a play, with young QBs you have to give them easy reads some times.
In a football sense, that's something that Bill O'Brien will never have to worry about being. He might've been a decent coach like 25 years ago, but the guys today are light years ahead of O'Brien as far as schematics, offenseive innovation, creativity, staying with/ahead of the curve, etc.

KarlK

Waterboy

He'll never be able to admit anything is Watson's fault, then he'll have to come to grips with the fact that Watson is not, and never will be, an elite NFL quarterback. Right now he's living in the same fantasyland that Mike Meltzer, Sean Pendergast, and the rest of the unobjective kool-aid drinking loser homers who are so desperate to have a top qb are living in. Anything you say that may go against that fantasy will be met with a harsh response, deflection and denial.

Shishkabob

All Pro
He'll never be able to describe that, because in describing that he'll have to come to grips with the fact that Watson is not, and never will be, an elite NFL quarterback. Right now he's living in the same fantasyland that Mike Meltzer, Sean Pendergast, and the rest of the desperate kool-aid drinking loser homers who are so desperate to have a top qb are living in. Anything you say that may go against that fantasy will be met with a harsh response, deflection and denial.
how does a QB struggling in his 7th and 8th starts indicate that he will never be an elite QB?

KarlK

Waterboy
how does a QB struggling in his 7th and 8th starts indicate that he will never be an elite QB?
He'll never be elite because of his frame, his field vision, his decision making, and his accuracy. What he did in his 7th and 8th starts are irrelevant.

You people who thought you had some Hall Of Fame qb because he had good numbers against a few terrible defenses in meaningless games where the opposing DC hadn't prepared for him one iota, and then wen't waaaaaaaaaaaay overboard crowing about it all offseason, are learning a hard lesson right now. You think NFL defensive coordinators were just going to continue let him run around outside the pocket and make plays and not gameplan for his tendencies?

I actually heard with my own 2 ears, one of your local radio guys say Watson was the "greatest NFL commodity on the planet", back in May. Where on earth do you Texan fans come up with this nonsense? You should be embarrased when people, let alone PROFESSIONAL MEDIA PERSONNEL, associated with your team say ignorant, amateurish immature garbage like that.

Last edited:

KarlK

Waterboy
Nice to finally come across a realistic, and well-grounded, Houston Texan fan.

Shishkabob

All Pro
He'll never be elite because of his frame, his field vision, his decision making, and his accuracy. What he did in his 7th and 8th starts are irrelevant.

You people who thought you had some Hall Of Fame qb because he had good numbers against a few terrible defenses in meaningless games where the opposing DC hadn't prepared for him one iota, and then wen't waaaaaaaaaaaay overboard crowing about it all offseason, are learning a hard lesson right now. You think NFL defensive coordinators were just going to continue let him run around outside the pocket and make plays and not gameplan for his tendencies?

I actually heard with my own 2 ears, one of your local radio guys say Watson was the "greatest NFL commodity on the planet", back in May. Where on earth do you Texan fans come up with this nonsense? You should be embarrased when people, let alone PROFESSIONAL MEDIA PERSONNEL, associated with your team say ignorant, amateurish immature garbage like that.
Not saying Watson is elite, or will develop into an elite QB, but if you just discard a thing called player development than there is no point in discussing the topic with you. Watson has a long way to go, but I think he has the potential to get there. I wouldn't go as far to say that he is the greatest NFL commodity. but you also have to realize the job of a sports radio host, which is to drum up fan interest. More fans interested, more people listening, which leads to more revenue

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
1. Deshaun Watson is coming off a serious knee injury. It takes time to fully recover from. Anybody within reason said it would take him until Week 4 or 5 before he started to pick up his play. And even then it probably won't be until next season when he's truly back to normal. He's running gingerly and has hesitated way too much these first two games when the pocket crumbles. When he was healthy last year he'd take off and gain big yardage with his legs anytime a play broke down.

2. The Texans offensive line is atrocious.
It could be the worst pass-blocking O-Line in the game.
So Watson, coming off injury, has to deal with that also.

3. As bad as the Texans have played the first two games. They lost by one score on the road during both games against the Patriots (7 points) and Titans (3 points). It's not like they were blown out and didn't have an opportunity to either tie or win the game late.

4. Let's see how the home opener goes on Sunday. Deshaun Watson just needs time to play great again. Anybody that hates on this kid is truly an idiot. This is a guy that gave his paycheck to cafeteria workers in need. He likes to build homes for homeless families during his days off. He's a special human. Whether or not he can become an elite quarterback will depend on his health and the talent and coaching around him.

5. I'd say thank you to Deshaun for what he gave to us last season before he had gotten hurt. He gave us a lot of excitement and hope. I actually enjoyed my Sundays watching the Houston Texans play. He may give us that joy again one day, but we must remain patient with the kid.

KarlK

Waterboy
1. Deshaun Watson is coming off a serious knee injury. It takes time to fully recover from. Anybody within reason said it would take him until Week 4 or 5 before he started to pick up his play. And even then it probably won't be until next season when he's truly back to normal. He's running gingerly and has hesitated way too much these first two games when the pocket crumbles. When he was healthy last year he'd take off and gain big yardage with his legs anytime a play broke down.

2. The Texans offensive line is atrocious.
It could be the worst pass-blocking O-Line in the game.
So Watson, coming off injury, has to deal with that also.

3. As bad as the Texans have played the first two games. They lost by one score on the road during both games against the Patriots (7 points) and Titans (3 points). It's not like they were blown out and didn't have an opportunity to either tie or win the game late.

4. Let's see how the home opener goes on Sunday. Deshaun Watson just needs time to play great again. Anybody that hates on this kid is truly an idiot. This is a guy that gave his paycheck to cafeteria workers in need. He likes to build homes for homeless families during his days off. He's a special human. Whether or not he can become an elite quarterback will depend on his health and the talent and coaching around him.

5. I'd say thank you to Deshaun for what he gave to us last season before he had gotten hurt. He gave us a lot of excitement and hope. I actually enjoyed my Sundays watching the Houston Texans play. He may give us that joy again one day, but we must remain patient with the kid.
Uh....nobody is "hating" on Watson as a human, so this response is not necessary. His integrity is without question. This is a football-only discussion, so his humanity off the field is not at all relevant.

Bulls on Parade

Uh....nobody is "hating" on Watson as a human, so this response is not necessary. His integrity is without question. This is a football-only discussion, so his humanity off the field is not at all relevant.
Some of your comments are just fueled with hate though. It's not necessary. He's struggling. We get it. But fact is he's in a tough position right now. His health isn't there right now and the offensive line is terrible. Not to mention the coaching should be the main focus of concern.

To say Deshaun Watson will never become an elite QB is just stupid. Plain and simple. Go take those dumb comments elsewhere please.

KarlK

Waterboy
Some of your comments are just fueled with hate though. It's not necessary. He's struggling. We get it. But fact is he's in a tough position right now. His health isn't there right now and the offensive line is terrible. Not to mention the coaching should be the main focus of concern.

To say Deshaun Watson will never become an elite QB is just stupid. Plain and simple. Go take those dumb comments elsewhere please.
Only thing I hate is hyperbole, homerism and blinders.

If I see any KC people proclaiming Mahomes as the future greatest QB of all time, i'll be all over that too. Doens't mean I hate Mahomes.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Only thing I hate is hyperbole, homerism and blinders.

If I see any KC people proclaiming Mahomes as the future greatest QB of all time, i'll be all over that too. Doens't mean I hate Mahomes.
Boomer proclaimed he was destined for the HOF before he even made a start, so yea its sports media/marketing

KarlK

Waterboy

Verrrrry convincing there. He's gonna be an elite QB, why? Because you say so?

It's a fact that he's going to be elite. If you don't think so, you're stupid.

Sounds like you and your idiot local media drink from the same kool-aid.

Bulls on Parade

He'll never be elite because of his frame, his field vision, his decision making, and his accuracy.
There's nothing there that makes any sense though. All of those things will be fine once his knee feels stronger. Give it another week or two. I wouldn't be shocked if Deshaun Watson has a big game against the Giants on Sunday. His mobility is a big part of why he's so dangerous. Wait until that aspect of his game returns.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame

I think some of this is a little harsh and premature, but to add to what you're trying to say these same people you're describing also gleefully ignore the fact that guys like RG3, Kaepernick, Prescott, Foles, and a ton of other QB's had great seasons to follow up with a poor 2nd season or 2nd year starting. Playing he QB position is a year to year thing where it can get ugly really fast very next season. I think that Watson will get it together and will turn into a pretty solid QB honestly, but I do worry about his long term health.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Verrrrry convincing there. He's gonna be an elite QB, why? Because you say so?

It's a fact that he's going to be elite. If you don't think so, you're stupid.

Sounds like you and your idiot local media drink from the same kool-aid.
He says this about every Texans/Rockets/Astros player that suits up.

He's one of those.

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
I will say on the INT to Hopkins, Hopkins did wave his hand signalling for Watson to throw it up. Obviously a more experienced QB probably would've realized his guy is covered, but I'm chalking it up to a young QB trying to let his guy make a play.
On that play. Hopkins went deep on the right side, Ellington did the same on the left. Other than Blue releasing just as Watson threw, those were the only 2 players past the LOS. Nuk was, of course, doubled up, while Ellington had single coverage on the corner, after the safety bit on play-action, and a step plus on his guy.

Low chance of success on the design of the play, I mean, if it's just taking a shot, then fine, but a poor decision for DW4 to go to double coverage instead of Ellington with single and a step on his man. Watson even had good protection and plenty of time.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Jury is still out on Watson. Like everyone I want to see him succeed and I'd like to believe that the better things he's done are going to be the rule and not the exception. Need to see growth though from week to week and the last two weeks haven't been particularly encouraging. Still there are reasons to believe that he may still get his act together this season and continue to get better.

I'm trying to stay positive but I no longer believe that the head coach here is necessarily a positive influence on Watson's career.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Explain please...
He is younger, was the Eagles QB coach who oversaw Wentz's development, now is the OC in Minnesota and so far their offense has looked real good. Plus I think working with the eagles and now the Viking he has had to have crossed paths with other good football minds which I assume he would bring some along to fill his staff

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
I will say on the INT to Hopkins, Hopkins did wave his hand signalling for Watson to throw it up. Obviously a more experienced QB probably would've realized his guy is covered, but I'm chalking it up to a young QB trying to let his guy make a play. Bad part is with Nuk signaling to him like that, it made him not even check Fuller who had his man beat for a TD. Watson hasn't played great these last 2 games, he made improvements from game 1 to game 2 lets just hope it continues.

I'm not here to argue that OB isn't doing a terrible job and that his coaching isn't also creating problems. Read any one of my posts, and you'll see that. But these idiots who want to act like Watson has been off limits for criticisms "this year" need to STFU and let the adults do the talking when it comes to football. Watson hasn't even been a top 15 QB so far. Again, it's only two games and his line is hurting him, but he also has two really good WR's and one of them is a top 5 WR which most QB's don't have so Watson also has "some advantages" other QB's don't have as well. This isn't a bash Watson thread. It just tends to look like that when you get a few dorks who have so much hero worship of their favorite player that they no longer will objectively analyze how the guy plays. Its like being in a political thread.

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
He is younger, was the Eagles QB coach who oversaw Wentz's development, now is the OC in Minnesota and so far their offense has looked real good. Plus I think working with the eagles and now the Viking he has had to have crossed paths with other good football minds which I assume he would bring some along to fill his staff
Fair enough. I was just curious. Thanks for the explanation. Not a bad guy for consideration.

Shishkabob

All Pro
On that play. Hopkins went deep on the right side, Ellington did the same on the left. Other than Blue releasing just as Watson threw, those were the only 2 players past the LOS. Nuk was, of course, doubled up, while Ellington had single coverage on the corner, after the safety bit on play-action, and a step plus on his guy.

Low chance of success on the design of the play, I mean, if it's just taking a shot, then fine, but a poor decision for DW4 to go to double coverage instead of Ellington with single and a step on his man.
It was actually Fuller on the other side, but I agree it was a poor job by Watson. Coming off the play action at the top of his drop he immediately has to move and reset his feet and step up, because Davenport got beat. While he is stepping up you see Hopkins signalling he is open, so he reset and let it rip. Idk if he wasn't trusting the rest of the protection around him which was solid after the initial gaff, or if he just had that much faith in Nuk, but it was a bad read on his part.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Fair enough. I was just curious. Thanks for the explanation. Not a bad guy for consideration.
Yea he is just the first guy that comes to my mind when thinking of a potential candidate. I just want someone who is innovative enough to continue to develop as the NFL does, not be stuck in the same old outdated system. Someone that can work with our young QB, and help him develop. I wouldn't be opposed to a defensive minded coach either as long as they have someone who fits the bill they are bringing as their OC.

Shishkabob

All Pro
If Fuller changed his number to 12, then yeah. Otherwise it was Ellington.
you are absolutely right. I was watching the video on a blog and reading what he wrote, and he was saying it was Fuller. Video was a little grainy for me to see the number until the very end in the endzone

Speedy

Former Yeller Dweller
you are absolutely right. I was watching the video on a blog and reading what he wrote, and he was saying it was Fuller. Video was a little grainy for me to see the number until the very end in the endzone
Well, that's the ONE good thing I get for being a season ticket holder - free Game Pass.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Well, that's the ONE good thing I get for being a season ticket holder - free Game Pass.
I'm 5+ years on the wait list with no end in sight lol. If the team keeps going on this trend though they should really give season ticket holders a discount on beer

Texecutioner

Hall of Fame
Yea he is just the first guy that comes to my mind when thinking of a potential candidate. I just want someone who is innovative enough to continue to develop as the NFL does, not be stuck in the same old outdated system. Someone that can work with our young QB, and help him develop. I wouldn't be opposed to a defensive minded coach either as long as they have someone who fits the bill they are bringing as their OC.
Funny because that's exactly what a lot of people thought we were getting with OB. You really don't know until those guys get a shot.

Did the Eagles coach ever have a HC gig before? I don't think he did.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Doubt they'll fire him in mid season. Assuming I'm right do you have a guy you'd like the Texans to pursue? I think my top guy would be Harbaugh. He ought to be about ready to leave Michigan.
John Defilipo
I had very little if any expectations that we'd make the POs this year so I can't say I'm really that disappointed though I'm disappointed and surprised that we lost to Gabbert and the second-sting Titans Oline.
At this rate we likely will be top 5 in the '19 Draft where I'm told some good young OT can be found.
I would be OK with the Texans not doing well this yr. But let me know what the plan for the future is. Then I will be patient.

Fact is if your know where good enough to win a championship, then you might as well suck so you can get franchise cornerstones with high picks.

Corrosion

Idealist
Staff member
12% would be an awesome beer but I demand at least 40% from my booze
I have some 95% that will make you sleep like a baby after a sip or two.

Good to see you back around TK... sucks it's for such a sucky time in the life of a Texans fan, but maybe it's habitual now hey?
Texans Fan is the new Browns fan ?!

We did give them some nice draft picks to get that franchise out of the sh!thole it was mired in.

Understandable. It's a battle between the heart and mind. The mind is analytical, without emotion, and sees the 11-12% chance for the long shot that it is. But the heart. . well, the heart is always soft, emotional, and seems to be the eternal opmistic that also hopes on the small sliver of a chance, which is what eventually keeps us coming back for more every season.
What I want to know is if any of those teams that started out 0-2 (or 0-3) ever won it all ?!

This isn't about making the playoffs , its about winning championships ….

The problem we have is that going into every game the opposing defense looks at our mediocre offensive line and their eyes must light up knowing they have a legitimate advantage. And that will include when we play the Bills and Browns.
The problem we have here is that our team is out coached every week - They start out 3-6 points in the hole based on coaching alone , after that we can talk about how bad the OL is.

Last edited: