Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who would you trade JJ Watt for? QB

I agree with this part completely. I think the notion to trade him is silly, but this thread is more for shits and giggles. The Texans aren't trading Watt. No way that happens. It is more of a imaginary scenario.

I agree with the premise you made about the GM being really bad and not knowing how to draft a QB. I certainly don't want Watt going anywhere man. If it were for a guy like Rogers or tow or three others though, I'd have to make the decision that betters the entire team though if that were there.

You and I both know this topic to be a hypothetical, but there are those who take the notion seriously due to desperation. And that's concerning, because these forums can (and have) plant seeds that grow into a general sentiment.

I'm not saying that Watt makes up for a franchise QB.

I'm saying we can (and should) have both if we built a team correctly, so don't get rid of an extremely rare player because you don't know how to draft the less rare one.

Ok yes I agree with that.

I don't even think trading Watt is realistic on any front anyways.

My statements there weren't towards you. You stated you wouldn't trade Watt for any QB in this league. That was all you needed to say which to me suggests that you're more concerned with watching some superstar you admire than to see the success of a team as a whole. With Watt being as great as he is, his position doesn't have near the impact that a bonafied franchise QB can have. We've been losers with Watt having great seasons. These were the same conversations that used to take place surrounding Andre Johnson many years ago when we were a bad team, and guys would say they'd never trade Johnson for anyone in here. These are reasons why I say about half of this board isn't that concerned about having a winning team in the end any way. They get way to attached to certain players they adore and coaches they adore as opposed to the logic of building an over all great team. The Andre Johnson thread from last season was a perfect example of that where half this board was cussing and screaming at anyone who suggested that AJ had lost a step and was still calling him elite. There was another thread where tons of guys openly admitted to wanting to pay him that $14 mill this season that his contract would have given him. When you suggest things like that, it is not really debatable that your bigger desire is to watch superstars play over a winning team.

You're still not understanding. There's a large gap in your logic where you are creating premises out of thin air and also arriving at new implications where they don't make sense.

You're still not understanding. There's a large gap in your logic where you are creating premises out of thin air and also arriving at new implications where they don't make sense.

Whatever. You stated that you wouldn't entertain any trades for any QB in the league.

My original post you quoted was towards another poster and their words. Not yours any way.

If you'd like to elaborate and further explain your position, then feel free, but coming back and saying "well you just don't understand" isn't saying anything. It is just wasting a post on this page.

Whatever. You stated that you wouldn't entertain any trades for any QB in the league.

My original post you quoted was towards another poster and their words. Not yours any way.

If you'd like to elaborate and further explain your position, then feel free, but coming back and saying "well you just don't understand" isn't saying anything. It is just wasting a post on this page.

Really? I said I wouldn't entertain any trades for any QB in the league? Lol. You're inability to read, comprehend, and then that into information for evaluation for your brain is such a way that is very difficult to relate. Countless people in this thread are struggling to understand how you comprehend what you think you are reading.

In other words, this is reading comprehension gone wrong.

I would trade Watt for a new expansion franchise at this point. McNair could pack the Texans up and take them to LA.

QB >>>>>>>> every other position
Anyone who wouldn't take Rodgers straight up for JJ doesn't really understand the league

At this point I'd listen to offers. Anybody would take his contract and the Texans need a Herschel Walker-type trade to fill the holes and MAYBE get some freaking respect.

At this point we could rip the pants off a team for Watt. Ah, nevermind. Watt's PR means more to McNair than do Rick Smith's brains.

Last edited:
yes at this point yes I would trade JJ watt for freakin eli manning or Phillip rivers or hell Andy Dalton

You couldn't trade JJ Watt for any QB that would help the Texans win, no team would do that. JJ Watt doesn't win games, at least on a regular basis, QBs do...

so if you were to trade JJ Watt, it would be for either A: some washed up QB that is past his prime or B: a back up that is more experiment than franchise...

No one is going to trade for JJ - unless you want draft picks. With this group we have making draft choices . . . . . . . . . . that would be such a waste.

Am I the only one that felt Thursday that for the first time ever JJ was not giving 100%? Im thinking he is starting to check out.\

Don't say "well he was doubled and triple teamed". he is always double and triple teamed yet still manages to make an impact. He did not do squat Thursday

I have always said you could get a minimum of 3 first rd draft picks for Watt and probably more. A Herschel Walker deal is not totally out of the question. However based on the Texans past draft history and greater chances of getting it wrong, JJ Watt and all his good will need to stay right here in Houston. Right now he's the only good reason to watch the Texans.

I also feel that J.J. Watt is worth three first-round picks in terms of his face value right now. The problem is what value do those draft picks have for us? Even with Watt being the best player in the game that isn't a quarterback, we can already net high first-round picks.

We had the #1 overall pick two years ago. We picked first in every round and simply blew it with most of those selections. We may again have the #1 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft (top five most likely). What will we do with those picks?

So yeah, I agree, it's not going to help us much trading J.J. Watt for a lot of draft picks. Rick Smith will find a way to blow them anyways. And you guys are probably right.

The teams that have elite quarterbacks, or even a young quarterback that is on the verge of greatness, probably won't trade them for J.J. Watt because a quarterback's value is more than just their face value.

I do think the 49ers, for example, would be willing to part with Colln Kaepernick for J.J. Watt in a trade. Only because they have to rebuild and Kaepernick isn't flourishing with their new head coach. His value has taken a hit.

He's young and at one time was being considered in the same breath that Russell Wilson is now. That's probably the best type of quarterback we could hope to land using Watt as trade bait. A talented quarterback that is struggling right now. He led the 49ers to two straight NFC Championship games and one Super Bowl. Came up short on the last drive (last play) of the game. Otherwise the 49ers could have won back-to-back Super Bowls.

I'm just spitting out ideas of course. It's hard to imagine any team with a good franchise quarterback, especially a young one, wanting to trade him for J.J. Watt. The best I could find was Colin Kaapernick as I don't think the Panthers would trade Cam Newton for J.J. Watt. The Seahawks, most definitely, would not trade Russell Wilson for J.J. Watt.

Molly said it best. We're better off keeping J.J. Watt.
And just drafting our future franchise quarterback.
But we need to invest a first-round pick into one.

No one is going to trade for JJ - unless you want draft picks. With this group we have making draft choices . . . . . . . . . . that would be such a waste.
The best quarterback we can likely land for J.J. Watt, in terms of overall talent potential and youth, is Colin Kaepernick.

And yes, I do believe the 49ers would trade him for J.J. Watt. Only because the direction their franchise is going in (same rebuilding boat that we're in) and the struggles and frustrations that Kaepernick is experiencing with their new head coach. Kaepernick excelled with Jim Harbaugh and likely needs a change of scenery, to be with another quarterbacks guru head coach, which Bill O'Brien is supposed to be.

I get the sense that their head coach, Jim Tomsula, wants to eventually bring in his own guy at quarterback. And the interesting thing is, both Watt and Kaepernick make such high salaries ($100 million and $126 million overall on their current deals respectively). That I don't think it would be too hard to do an even swap for the most part, without both team's cap numbers being affected all that much, on a year-to-year base salary.

It makes too much sense that it would never happen.
But it's interesting when you try to find a good match.

But I think Watt is better, face value, than Kaepernick right now.
It would have to be Kaep + first-round picks for Watt, IMO.
Or whatever combination of picks (1st, 2nd, 3rd) etc... etc...
That's the tricky part. The 49ers value their draft picks right now.

In all honesty, if you were to trade the best defensive player in the NFL (in decades), who actually really is a nice guy, whose brand is national and would be recognized anywhere, you'd better get a whole **** pile of something worthwhile, because if you don't, the fallout from something like this could be deadly.

Could you come up with a QB less suited to working with OB than Kaep?
Really? He would seem ideal, IMO.

I've heard Bill O'Brien praising him in the past when we played the 49ers. He called him one of the most talented young quarterbacks in the game today. Maybe that's just the respect factor for the opponent but he's talked highly of him before. I'm sure O'Brien would love to coach him compared to the crappy QBs we have now.

How about you come up with another quarterback, a talented and young one, that you could see being dealt for J.J. Watt? Because guess what those teams are very limited. The 49ers were the only match I could find.

In all honesty, if you were to trade the best defensive player in the NFL (in decades), who actually really is a nice guy, whose brand is national and would be recognized anywhere, you'd better get a whole **** pile of something worthwhile, because if you don't, the fallout from something like this could be deadly.
As Jimmy Johnson says,

"it's not really about how many picks you get, it's what you do with those picks that matter." (paraphrased)

And with the current Texans brain trust there is not much confidence of any real degree of success of meeting Jimmy Johnson's expectations.

Really? He would seem ideal, IMO.

He's of limited intelligence and goes off script. You really think that's a good pairing for a 'complex' offense (which places no value on boots or QB mobility) run by an anal HC fascinated with consistency?

How about you come up with another quarterback, a talented and young one, that you could see being dealt for J.J. Watt? Because guess what those teams are very limited. The 49ers were the only match I could find.

THERE ISN'T ONE. Nobody with a QB worth a crud wants to trade them and you keep missing this so THE DEAD MONEY ON THE CONTRACTS GENERALLY IS PROHIBITIVE. It ain't happening.

Just win? That would solve everything. You wouldn't even think twice.

J.J. Watt isn't on the roster of a Super Bowl team the last time I checked. So that tells me those other teams that are winning seem to be doing something right, and they're not doing it with the best defensive player in NFL History like J.J Watt.

It makes me question just what we're trying to accomplish here? Assembling the best talent is only part of the equation. We're not stockpiling enough talent, no depth at all at most positions, with Rick Smith blowing so many draft picks. It also doesn't help that we can't find a good quarterback right now but that's another issue entirely. But it all comes back to the overall talent on the team not being good enough.

Great quarterback play, even good quarterback play, can mask a lot of problems. If we had a good quarterback right now we'd likely be 3-2 and not 1-4 right now through five games. We'd be in the playoff race all season long.

I understand these hypothetical trades are very unlikely to happen. But the thread title gives us a chance to have some fun conversations during another boring Texans season.

We better draft a quarterback in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft. No matter what pick we end up with. That's at least trying to do something to fix the problem. I can rally behind "effort and risk taking" from our front office. What I can't stand is the same thing being done every off-season.

I think it's too late for Rick Smith. He should have been fired already.

He's of limited intelligence and goes off script. You really think that's a good pairing for a 'complex' offense (which places no value on boots or QB mobility) run by an anal HC fascinated with consistency?
You make a great point. But often times we never really know how a head coach and quarterback partnership will pan out until they're actually together.

Like when Gary Kubiak was here and Peyton Manning was a free agent several off-seasons ago and had interest in coming to Houston. Everybody claimed how bad of a fit Peyton would be with Kubiak. They seem to be doing alright with the Broncos this season under some really weird circumstances.

If i had my way we would have kept Gary Kubiak and fired Rick Smith after that 2-14 season two years ago. Obviously Colin Kaepernick in a Gary Kubiak offense would have seemed more ideal.

But I'm just saying in terms of youth and talent, I still think there's something to work with when you look at Colin Kaepernick. I don't think he's as bad as he's looked on a rebuilding 49ers team this season.

Bill O'Brien just needs a talented quarterback to work with.
The rest can work itself out. It's easier to teach talented players.

The really good players, the truly great players, can adapt their games. Just like the old Peyton Manning is doing with Gary Kubiak in Denver this season. I'm not saying Keap is a great player like Peyton Manning, but he's a good young player that has had a lot of success in the NFL already. He did so with quality coaching like Jim Harbaugh. You can coach that type of talent.

The Texans have to take more risks. Try to bring in a good quarterback. We dropped the ball not signing Peyton Manning when he was a free agent. Had we done so, Gary Kubiak would still be here coaching. We'd have been a Super Bowl contender for the past three seasons, including this one.

For now, we have to just play out this awful season unfortunately. Our best option now is to draft a quarterback in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft and hope Bill O'Brien can coach him up into something good or great.

It ain't happening BOP. Save your lengthy diatribes for something realistic

Back