Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Who to Hire to Replace OB?

I'm pretty certain Cowher won't return to football unless something weird happens where he wants it to (which isn't Houston). Dungy would be interesting though. Something lost in these conversations isn't the coach, it's who he brings. Kubiak could've hired me as offensive coordinator because he could coach, teach, scheme and build by himself. The Bronco's staff had recently purged if I remember correctly, and he had a fraction of that to work with - but locked himself into familiar faces and avoided big names. O'Brien had nobody (and has less than that now), if not for Romeo we may be envious of the Browns only having 1 blanked season. Dungy could probably pull some real talent from both in and outside his tree, and he has the experience to be able to identify coaches who could make the most of and improve our talent.

Some of my top choices to keep an eye on to replace OB's incompetent butt. This order is not necessarily the order of what I want, just a general list of names.

1. Dabo Swinney. I think we all understand the upside here with his history with Watson. For all the people who praised OB when he was hired as an offensive genius, he wasn't and had no history of being one. Swinney on the other hand does. He is creative and very aggressive. Watson would obviously benefit from having him, but the risk of another college coach with no NFL history is very scary.

2. John DeFilippo is a guy with a history of being around some impressive offensive guys. He had a brief stint in Cleveland as OC before going to Philly but helped Wentz and the team especially in the red zone. Need to see how he does as OC in Minnesota this season.

3. Matt LeFleur is another guy from an impressive coaching tree. He has been around some of the youngest and brightest OCs in the game. His time in Tennessee this season will tell us a lot about his coaching style and ability.

4. Jim Bob Cooter has an interesting history. He was around the Colts and learned before going to KC and helping their offense lead the league in rushing. Then went to Detroit where he helped Stafford become a top end QB before taking over as OC. His offense has been dangerous through the air but lacked a run game. This season they are working on it, let's see how he does.

5. Pete Carmichael, the guy has been around New Orleans and that amazing offense for awhile lol. He has to be fairly good.

I am not in favor of a defensive guy at all. The turnover at OC and DC will always be there and getting a legit offensive minded HC to stay and mold Watson is the most important thing right now. Finding an aggressive DC shouldn't be an issue.

I don't consider myself a coordinator genius, but here's a couple names that stood out while reading the list of current NFL offensive coordinators:

Bill Lazor? He's done really well with the Bengals offense since taking over early last year, only 46 years old.
Bill Musgrave? EXTENSIVE experience, only 50 years old, worked with so many QBs and improved a lot of offenses.

Maybe we can convince Bruce Arians to come back to the sport?

My thoughts; I'd like a coach who focuses on the team. A HC that allows his OC and DC to do their thing. To me the HC should be focused on the overall game plan and the OC/DC should be focused on their specific game plan. It would appear that we have an OC and a DC but no HC in Houston to hold the coordinators accountable.

On defense I'd like more of a 4-3 look with Clowney and JJ playing the ends. Our LBs either need to cover better or be schemed to be in a better position. Cunningham has been getting abused this year. Doesn't take film study to see that.

Offense is just a mess. Last years offense was buttery smooth so naturally we changed it and now look at it. OC should come in with an identity as we have none on offense. We try to power our speed back up the middle constantly; sadly neither he nor the OL are in a position to bull over anyone at this time. It's like the offense has this concept of who they want to be but don't have the players or the play calls to be that. Idk. All I know is that these RPOs aren't working this year; I recognize that there is plenty of blame to go around for that.

This team has stench to it right now. Maybe it's the rotting corpse of the season already, maybe it's something else. It feels like we have lost our way as an organization...if we even had a way.

I would take wade Phillips right now as long as he hired a OC.
What about Rex Ryan? He'll hire his brother Rob Ryan to coach the defense. We would still need an offensive coordinator though.

Rex Ryan doesn't qualify on my "I want a head coach that has won a Super Bowl before" list, but he once went to two straight AFC Championship games with the lousy Mark Sanchez as his quarterback. He's never had a chance to coach a great quarterback before.

What about Rex Ryan? He'll hire his brother Rob Ryan to coach the defense. We would still need an offensive coordinator though.

Rex Ryan doesn't qualify on my "I want a head coach that has won a Super Bowl before" list, but he once went to two straight AFC Championship games with the lousy Mark Sanchez as his quarterback. He's never had a chance to coach a great quarterback before.

Uhhhh yea nooooo

Harbaugh's not stupid enough to take this job.

Head Coach of the Houston Texans is not a coveted position. It's not the job that a truly successful college coach with a chance to play for a National Championship (or aspirations to do so) is going to just automatically jump for. Harbaugh takes the call because he's not stupid but what is in Houston to lure him away from a program like Michigan? I see some talent here but damn, they sure don't play like it and this team has a history of failure and coming up short. The 49er's were a team that had been a dynasty. As NFL franchises go the Texans are barely worthy of inclusion.

Head Coach of the Houston Texans is not a coveted position. It's not the job that a truly successful college coach with a chance to play for a National Championship (or aspirations to do so) is going to just automatically jump for.

Harbaugh is not on a cold seat up there in Michigan. He may get ushered to the door as a not successful enough college HC.

True but looking for work is one thing. Still trying to make his dream job work is another. Right now I don't think Harbaugh does more than take the call and be courteous in declining the position. Every year there are NFL jobs open. He can hold out for a better position I think.

True but looking for work is one thing. Still trying to make his dream job work is another. Right now I don't think Harbaugh does more than take the call and be courteous in declining the position. Every year there are NFL jobs open. He can hold out for a better position I think.

The thing that makes the Texans a dream job is the presence of Watson. Even "disappointing" Watson is playing as a mid-level NFL QB with an unlimited upside that has been seen on the field both NFL and college.

Those who retire and later get coaxed back are seldom the same coaches they were when they left the racket. If Bill Cowher returned to coaching he wouldn't be good. I'd be on board with Jim Harbaugh.

Head Coach of the Houston Texans is not a coveted position. It's not the job that a truly successful college coach with a chance to play for a National Championship (or aspirations to do so) is going to just automatically jump for. Harbaugh takes the call because he's not stupid but what is in Houston to lure him away from a program like Michigan? I see some talent here but damn, they sure don't play like it and this team has a history of failure and coming up short. The 49er's were a team that had been a dynasty. As NFL franchises go the Texans are barely worthy of inclusion.

What would lure him? Maybe the fact that he's not doing great at Michigan overall, and he seems like the type that can get bored easy if its not the right situation for him. Some coaches prefer college more than the pros and some prefer the pros more than college. He's had extensive experience in both and success in both. Who knows which one he really prefers. I'm not saying he'd be interested or not. What I do think would interest him would be having almost full control and a stronghold over the player personnel. I think it's possible that he may like the Texans organization somewhat, because the coaches do have a say so in players. He might feel like he could overrule Gaines a lot. I don't know. I'd have no problem giving him the full control he wanted in San Fran honestly. He had a lot to begin with over there and did a lot of good things for the team.

I'm a Cowher fan, but I think he's been gone way to long. I wouldn't want him at this point.
Just depends on who he would have running the offense and defense. Just as a HC with no coordinator duties, I might still like him. But it has been a long time.

Ive been reading more about this topic than I expected. Bruce Arians would be my guy after weighing all the options. Im just living in fantasy land obviously because Grand Dragon McClain doesnt like to look like he made a mistake so he will spin it as a hundred different things before making that hard decision and cutting the string.

edit: McNair .. only thing McClain hates is prepackaged pancakes.

Last edited:
Ive been reading more about this topic than I expected. Bruce Arians would be my guy after weighing all the options. Im just living in fantasy land obviously because Grand Dragon McClain doesnt like to look like he made a mistake so he will spin it as a hundred different things before making that hard decision and cutting the string.

Didn't think this thread would fizzle to the point that we'd have the ridiculousness of someone randomly calling John McClain a Klansmen, but thanks for not letting anyone down. Great contribution.

Harbaugh is going to stay at Michigan at least until his original contract ends in 2021 so we can put that dream to rest for now. Also, the only way he's coming back to the NFL is if he gets 100% full control of an organization. That means GM and personnel guys are out the door and Harbaugh brings in his own henchmen. He has absolute control at Michigan and that's how he wants it at any job he might take in the future. He's never dealing with anything like the SF thing with Baalke again. He did a stellar job in SF and how he was treated by management there had a profound effect on him. He's done dealing with "non-football guys" and that extends into ownership too.

He's been getting NFL calls ever since he first took the UM job and has immediately declined every one without a second thought. Even though his tenure at UM hasn't been as stalwart as most expected, his seat isn't even close to being hot and the university and fans treat him like a king. He will probably get the NFL itch again at some point, but he doesn't have it right now. Michigan is his dream job, you can't expect him to treat it like he treated his other jobs.

He has this reputation as a guy who can't stay in one place, but that's been based on circumstance. He left San Diego for a promotion to Stanford. He left Stanford for a promotion to the 49ers. He left the 49ers because he was forced out by a young and incompetent owner. There's not many places he considers a promotion over Michigan. The 'Big 3' most people considered he would leave Michigan for were the Colts, Bears, and Raiders and he chose Michigan over Oakland and passed on the Bears and Colts just recently in the last few years.

He's not going to leave Michigan for Bob McNair and the Houston Texans.

Last edited:
Is Chiefs' Eric Bieniemy the next star Andy Reid offensive coordinator?

Those same qualities, with Bieniemy as offensive coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs, have helped the Chiefs to a fast start despite having a first-year starting quarterback in Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs are one of the NFL’s three 3-0 teams and are leading the league in scoring at more than 39 points per game.

Oh, and Mahomes has set an NFL record with 13 touchdown passes in the first three games of a season and leads the league in passer rating.

Reid calls the offensive plays while Bieniemy helps assemble the playbook and weekly game plans and runs the offensive meetings. He’s also the voice in Mahomes’ ear through the headset on game days relaying the playcalls.

Those aren’t jobs Reid would trust to just anyone.

"[Quarterback] is a detailed position," Reid said. "… It’s very easy to go, ‘Ah, we can let that one slide.’ That’s [not] how [Bieniemy] goes about it. He’s going to make sure everything is covered. I trust him for that. I can’t be there every second. He jumps in and just takes charge and I have full confidence in him so I can go be the head coach and he can run the offense. He does a heck of a job with it.

"When he brings it, he’s bringing it and it’s every day. He doesn’t let one thing slide. … This is him. It’s attention to detail and ‘I’m going to make sure my closet is clean and your closet better be clean, too. If not I’m going to help you clean it.’"

Bieniemy wasn’t the most skilled of players, but he lasted nine NFL seasons because of his mastery of the little things. Beyond his special-teams work, he developed into a reliable third-down back because he figured out defenses, coverages and blitzes.

He now transfers that knowledge to others.

"I take a lot of personal pride in making sure everything is dotted, T’s are crossed and everything is absolute," Bieniemy said.

Chiefs running back Spencer Ware gave Bieniemy credit for helping to resurrect his career in 2015 when he joined the Chiefs after being released by Seattle. Ware went on to lead the Chiefs in rushing in 2016.

"I think the biggest thing Coach Bieniemy [brings] to our offense is his intensity," Ware said. "If you take a look at his résumé and the players he’s coached and the way they play football each and every play they get out there on the field, having an entire offense with that same mentality is pretty exciting."

Mahomes, who has seemed unstoppable at times this season, sees Bieniemy’s game-plan preparation as a big factor.

http://www.espn.com/blog/kansas-cit...the-next-star-andy-reid-offensive-coordinator

edit: McNair .. only thing McClain hates is prepackaged pancakes.

Arians would be my choice as of right now too. But I would want to see who's available this offseason.

I want an experienced guy who's plan has already been proven to work. Not another learning on the job coordinator.

Disagree about McNair, he's a money grabbing carpetbagger 1st and foremost and doesn't let little things like racial relations get in the way of squeezing every last dime he can out of everybody he possibly can regardless of race.

The only color McNair cares about is green.

I'm going to repeat, Mike Shanahan. He's 66, a year younger than the oldest coach in the nfl, Pete Carroll . We know he would fix the line and running game rather quickly. The situation with RG3 tarnished him somewhat, but he did draft Kirk Cousins in the same draft as the number 2 draft. Jordan Reed, Alfred Morris, I could go on. His playcalling and still works. I think Watson would be great under Shanahan. So would Hopkins who had 900 TDs as a rookie. Or offer a pick up for BB at the end of the year.

I'm going to repeat, Mike Shanahan. He's 66, a year younger than the oldest coach in the nfl, Pete Carroll . We know he would fix the line and running game rather quickly. The situation with RG3 tarnished him somewhat, but he did draft Kirk Cousins in the same draft as the number 2 draft. Jordan Reed, Alfred Morris, I could go on. His playcalling and still works. I think Watson would be great under Shanahan. So would Hopkins who had 900 TDs as a rookie. Or offer a pick up for BB at the end of the year.

Must be a record that will never be broken

Arians would be my choice as of right now too. But I would want to see who's available this offseason.

I want an experienced guy who's plan has already been proven to work. Not another learning on the job coordinator.

Disagree about McNair, he's a money grabbing carpetbagger 1st and foremost and doesn't let little things like racial relations get in the way of squeezing every last dime he can out of everybody he possibly can regardless of race.

The only color McNair cares about is green.

yall want Arian's, but he would just compound our biggest problem as it is the MO of his offense and has always been. Deshuan would get killed running Arian's offense, Arian's offense is based on long down the field routes, and he leaves minimal protection for his QBs. He did it in Pittsburgh, he did it in Indy, and he did it in Arizona. I am a Bruce Arian's fan, but I don't think Watson is the right QB to stand up to the punishment that Arian's QBs inevitably go through.

I'm going to repeat, Mike Shanahan

He's been out of the league for 5 years. In his last stint he stint he had a very mobile QB that was rushed back from injury and well we know how that ended up. I'd pass on Shanahan Sr as HC.

Reactions: JB
He's been out of the league for 5 years. In his last stint he stint he had a very mobile QB that was rushed back from injury and well we know how that ended up. I'd pass on Shanahan Sr as HC.

Who rushed RG3 back? Don't you also think the qb having a free pass upstairs to the owner had something to do with it?

Win at least 4 games so that he can hit the season ticket holders with another 4% price hike. Money, money, moneyyyyyyyyy..............................

This is what it's all about for Uncle Bob ladies and gentlemen.

I'm still convinced that Harbaugh could be spoken to. I'm not convinced that he would demand full stewardship of the team if considered. I believe he and Gaine would have to meet and determine if their plan/vision for an overhaul mesh.....if they're on the same sheet of music, then Gaine can execute the plan while Harbaugh focuses on coaching.

The key, would Harbaugh have any interest in Houston? With Watson, some solid young players, plenty of picks (trade some big name players) between the 2019 and 2020 NFL Draft and great cap space.....it could present a very nice opportunity that makes Harbaugh really think about returning to the NFL.

Who rushed RG3 back? Don't you also think the qb having a free pass upstairs to the owner had something to do with it?

Who was the head coach? That's where the blame lays. Shannahan was fighting for his job. He knew it and rushed his prized rookie back both in that playoff game when RG3 was clearly limping and the next season. The following season Shannahan was fired. By the time Shannahan benched RG3 that season, the damage was done. Owner didn't put RG3 back in. I dislike Snyder as much as the next guy (I'm a local to the DC area) but I do back him on that one; he listened to his QB. Ultimately it was too late for RG3 and well we all the know the Washington franchise has been in disarray since then.

Seahawks vs. Redskins: In Sticking with RG3, Mike Shanahan Made the Right Call
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ng-with-rg3-mike-shanahan-made-the-right-call

Last edited:
We can always trade for him

846-03166025em.jpg

Who was the head coach? That's where the blame lays. Shannahan was fighting for his job. He knew it and rushed his prized rookie back both in that playoff game when RG3 was clearly limping and the next season. The following season Shannahan was fired. By the time Shannahan benched RG3 that season, the damage was done. Owner didn't put RG3 back in. I dislike Snyder as much as the next guy (I'm a local to the DC area) but I do back him on that one; he listened to his QB. Ultimately it was too late for RG3 and well we all the know the Washington franchise has been in disarray since then.

Seahawks vs. Redskins: In Sticking with RG3, Mike Shanahan Made the Right Call
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ng-with-rg3-mike-shanahan-made-the-right-call

So what about all the reports from the locker room about RG3? What about wanting to be a pocket qb? What about the whole deal of the televised rehab. Look , I'm a RG3 fan , if he had it to do over again, he would. He could've been a great qb under Shanahan. I mean Jake Plummer was a pro bowl player under Shanahan. I think Shanahan would get a better version of RG3 in Watson. The offense in itself would be alot better under a guy like Shanahan.

Stop trying to resurrect Dinosaurs or recycle "names". Harbaugh has done NOTHING at Michigan. He was Disaster the last 2 years in San Fran. Mike Sr.? Wrong Mike.

Romeo and make Peyton Manning OC.

Or even Romo as OC.

It may have already been said somewhere, probably has. If so, I apologize for the redundancy. But I heard early in the season, that Romo was the smartest football player he had ever spoken with. During our game, where he was the color man, I was amazed at the speed and accuracy, before, during and after each play, that he diagnosed the flaws that he saw, and called them out .... and he was right! Without a doubt, the fastest and most accurate I've ever heard. I'm sure it won't last, (the coaches won't like being outed), but, it proved to me that JJ was right when he said, after the game, that our opponent was smart, they were prepared with a good game plan ! Romo won't come because he is serious about becoming a Pro Golfer and that is tremendously time consumptive. He's got a good enough gig right now to keep from backing up. But we need to talk to Sean McVay. I don't think O'Brien has the humility to follow the plan though. McVay said that before you make any changes at all, you've got to thoroughly evaluate all of your talent, and begin to build a scheme that is tailored to the specific talent on your team.

Back