Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who to Hire to Replace OB?

Max

Veteran
Darrell Bevell is available as an OC. Showed success with a similar style qb with a poor OL. Hire some nerd as a HC (or meathead like Vrabel who at least is aggressive) who knows when to challenge a play and call timeouts and get out of your OC and DC's way would be a huge improvement at this point.

ATXtexanfan

Hall of Fame
Problem, OB ain't going nowhere and he has his tool at GM. We know McNair believes in him more than Rick Smith.

We are screwed, wake up on sundays biting the pillow fellas

Seegara

Guitar Picker, Dog Lover, Woodworker
Can you hire assistant coaches from another team for a head coaching job?
Yes you can if you don't have any better sense. You need permission from their team to discuss with them.

Whom should we hire? Gary Patterson, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, or maybe Dabo Swinney would be a good choice.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yes you can if you don't have any better sense. You need permission from their team to discuss with them.

Whom should we hire? Gary Patterson, Urban Meyer, Jimbo Fisher, or maybe Dabo Swinney would be a good choice.
No more college coaches (though Dabo would be interesting)... instead let's trade 2 1's and JDC for Reid.

Did you notice that Mahomes threw for over 300 yds and 6 TD's against Pittsburgh today? IN 3 Rivers!

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Nathaniel Hackett. Had Jags up on NE 21-3 at the half today and Jags held on for the win... with Bortles at QB and no Fournette

amazing80

Hall of Fame
This is the issue and likely the reason OB finishes the season. Hell, we don't even have an OC at this point so if you fire him as HC you lose your OC too. He put this organization in a difficult position.

Reactions: ROO

TheKDog

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would like to the team to do a real, comprehensive search with multiple interviews.

When they hired O'Brien, they didn't interview anyone else. Lovie Smith was just to satisfay the Rooney rule.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
This is the issue and likely the reason OB finishes the season. Hell, we don't even have an OC at this point so if you fire him as HC you lose your OC too. He put this organization in a difficult position.
We haven't had an OC since he's been here. I still want him gone.

banned1976

sleeper mode
Wade Phillips just to add salt to the wound. But I know nothing will change until probably 2020. Regardless of what happens this year McNair will give O’Brien/Gaine one full draft together.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Hmmmm he can be fired and McNair rich ash can eat the cost.
He did fire Kubiak the season after giving him an extension so there is precedence for it. I don't think it will happen though, because they just hired an OB guy in Gaine to be the GM, so barring us going like 2-14 I don't see him getting canned.

One name to watch is John DeFilipo, coached the Eagles QBs last year and is running the Vikings offense this year.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Fitzpatrick is 2-0 with his team, Keenum is 2-0 with his. O'B is 0-2.

:thinking:

Either the qb guru coached them up to be successful somewhere else, or they are getting better coaching with their current teams. Meanwhile, our qb has seemed to regress. Same boring offense that seems to be too much for whoever wants to learn it, while the Jacksonville's offense was able to hang 31 points against the Patriots.

It's just frustrating already.

Uncle Rico

Ur apology should be as loud as Ur disrespect was
Matt Lafleur, John Defelippo among pro coordinators.

David Shaw, Chris Petersen among college coaches.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
I would try to go after Jim Harbaugh. He did have success in the NFL, plus I think his ego is big enough to try to win a Super Bowl because his brother already has one.

That will give him motivation.

Marcus

Windmill cancer survivor
Contributor's Club
It's just frustrating already.
Finally someone gets straight to the point. Having some stupid conversation about who replaces OB when he’s not going anywhere is pointless. Like Watson said, “if you’re one of the guys, one of the people, one of the fans hitting the panic buttons then that’s on you. Don’t hop back on the train later on in the season. If you dwell on these last two losses, then your season is going to go in the tank”.

I agree with him. If you’re already talking about who replaces the coach, you’ve already tanked it.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
No more college coaches (though Dabo would be interesting)... instead let's trade 2 1's and JDC for Reid.

Did you notice that Mahomes threw for over 300 yds and 6 TD's against Pittsburgh today? IN 3 Rivers!
And why exactly would Reid want to leave KC? He's got a QB throwing 6 TD's against the Steelers at Heinz Field (Unless he's a time-traveler as well as a great QB).

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Finally someone gets straight to the point. Having some stupid conversation about who replaces OB when he’s not going anywhere is pointless. Like Watson said, “if you’re one of the guys, one of the people, one of the fans hitting the panic buttons then that’s on you. Don’t hop back on the train later on in the season. If you dwell on these last two losses, then your season is going to go in the tank”.

I agree with him. If you’re already talking about who replaces the coach, you’ve already tanked it.
Yeah, too soon to be worrying about that panic button. We'll check back with DeShaun when he's 0-4 and see if that's time to hit the panic button or not. The Giants are going to beat us like they always do and then Andrew Luck is going to come to town and leave pecker-tracks all over OB's forehead.

But you're right and I completely mean that. OB isn't going anywhere. He's exiled Slick Rick after winning the power struggle, hand picked his own guy for the job of GM, and gone into the season without anyone even remotely resembling an OC so if the team chooses to fire him they damn near have to let Watson and Ryan call their own plays from that point forward.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club

Agreed,

The people who want BOB fired probably didn't want him hired to begin with. There's another group of Watson fans that believe he's Jesus in cleats that are going to blame anything that goes wrong on BOB regardless of whether Watson holds the ball for 17 seconds on the final play of the game.

with that said BOB needs to get alot better at his job. It's hard to believe he's an Ivy League graduate, unless you see how the Ivy leaguers in the White House over the last 30 yrs have screwed things up and then it starts to make some sense.

Shishkabob

All Pro
Agreed,

The people who want BOB fired probably didn't want him hired to begin with. There's another group of Watson fans that believe he's Jesus in cleats that are going to blame anything that goes wrong on BOB regardless of whether Watson holds the ball for 17 seconds on the final play of the game.

with that said BOB needs to get alot better at his job. It's hard to believe he's an Ivy League graduate, unless you see how the Ivy leaguers in the White House over the last 30 yrs have screwed things up and then it starts to make some sense.
I was fine with the O'Brien hire at the time. I knew he was still pretty green as a HC only having done it for 2 years at the college level so I was expecting growing pains with him. The thing is I haven't seen any growth from him from year one until now. He is still poor with clock management, he still calls boneheaded plays in the worst situations trying to out smart everybody, and worse of all 5 years in he still plays to not lose the game instead of playing to win the game.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
I was fine with the O'Brien hire at the time. I knew he was still pretty green as a HC only having done it for 2 years at the college level so I was expecting growing pains with him. The thing is I haven't seen any growth from him from year one until now. He is still poor with clock management, he still calls boneheaded plays in the worst situations trying to out smart everybody, and worse of all 5 years in he still plays to not lose the game instead of playing to win the game.
I thought we had made a great hire at the time.

Never been so wrong in my entire life.

:coffee:

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
I've been a Harbaugh guy since I watched him resurrect the University Of San Diego's football program. I really wanted to see the Aggies get him before Stanford got him signed. He didn't have a bad run in SF, but like Hinch, it may have prepared him for a solid second run in the NFL.

I do believe he could get a strong staff around him with no problem. Also, he's worked with a talent similar to Watson, in Kaepernick....so helping Watson become better wouldn't be ground breaking for him.

Now, am I quitting on the season with this post.....hell no! I am quitting on O'Brien as the Texans HC b/c he has simply failed to become a better coach or learn from repeat mistakes. Does this actually get better over another couple of seasons? No.

I would like to see Harbaugh working with Gaine much more than a repeat performance of Gaine and O'Brien.

Bulls on Parade

2017 Astros: Earn It!
Try to lure 61-year-old Bill Cowher away from CBS. A decade ago I'd have drooled over Jimmy Johnson but he's already too old at 75.

Hey, the Raiders lured 55-year-old Jon Gruden away from ESPN. All it takes is throwing a large amount of money at them to tempt them.

I either want a legend head coach that coached his teams to multiple Super Bowls, winning at least one Super Bowl, or I want a young and energetic college guy. But one that is smarter than Bill O'Brien.

Just give me a Super Bowl winning head coach and I'm happy.
Hell, I'd even be okay if Tony Dungy wanted to get back into coaching.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
As much as Vrabel wasn’t the best DC, you will notice he hired both a DC and OC. That’s the first step in a HC.
Even though he wasn't a choice here, I really wanted O'B gone and Vrabel given the chance to be HC here.

DBCooper

Outlaw
Contributor's Club
Love to have Cowher.

The idea of RAC is better than what we have too.

Now with both these ideas we need an OC, who to pick........