Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Who to Hire to Replace OB?

And he
I think Reid kept those duties this year, he lost Peterson a couple years ago, and then Naggy this last off season.

And for all the pining for guys like him to be our HC, he’s also got the tag of being not good with game management..he was basically ran outta philly b/c of it.

1goofy.png

This guuuuuyyyyyyy!!!!

He promises not to f-up a scheme that was working well
He believes that you cant save time outs past half time
He thinks uncovered WR in punt situation is just plain wrong

and most of all

Its not on "him"....... it's on you... all!

Mike Shanahan, keep RAC
I think the game passed Mike Shanahan by.
I'm doubting he still has the energy, IMO. He's 66 now.

He was fired after going 3-13 in 2013. And he finished in last place in the NFC East three out of four years in Washington. And he was supposed to be set up for the long haul when he drafted Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins in that 2012 NFL Draft.

If Shanny Sr. were 10 or 15 years younger I'd be intrigued... I would have rather seen his son have a chance to be a head coach here. Heck, I'd have even been thrilled if Gary Kubiak were still our head coach. He could do wonders with a guy like Deshaun Watson. All those bootlegs and rollouts. That West Coast Offense would be ideal given the current state of our offensive line.

I would take a long look at Lincoln Riley.
He just received a raise at OU for $5M per.

Seems to bring out the best of the QBs he works with.

His rise in rank has been quite astounding.

As a young WR coach at Texas Tech, he took over play calling duty when Leach was fired ahead of the Alamo Bowl.
Tech scored 41 to beat Michigan St.

Riley then became the OC at East Carolina where he made good of the two QBs he had there for 5 years before getting the OC job at OU, turning a jittery Baker Mayfield into what he's now.

After just two years, Riley was named HC to replace the retired Stoops.

This year, without Mayfield, OU hasn't missed a beat.

I had watched a few of Riley's press conferences and interviews.
Sounds like a smart guy.

Worth to investigate further, IMO.

As a young WR coach at Texas Tech, he took over play calling duty when Leach was fired ahead of the Alamo Bowl.

Riley then became the OC at East Carolina where he made good of the two QBs he had there for 5 years before getting the OC job at OU, turning a jittery Baker Mayfield into what he's now.

Sounds like a smart guy.

Wha..what? Man the band is back together again.

Took astronomical levels of suckitude to draw you guys out from retirement huh?

Good to see you back.

Sounds like a smart guy.

He is honestly the only college coach I would be considering.

Going into week 3 is a bit premature to guess who will be available. 3 names that I've supported are Lil Shanny, Pederson ... and I continue to hold a spot for Harbaugh. If he could be convinced that Cal is just there to collect his money, and Jim has Gaine's support - Harbaugh has experience, a vast coaching tree and real (and varied) NFL coaching experience. I don't see a conflict keeping Romeo and his staff - at least for a couple/few years.

Otherwise, unless someone has a particular target this is a futile exercise - there will be 10-15 coaching vacancies in 4 months. Some knee-jerk fires will top the list, as will experienced coordinators who will go from 'experienced' to 'ready'.

I wonder if there could ever be another scenario where a team could trade for a head coach.
What type of picks are you suggesting? I hope it's not a 2001 King's Random... Like when the Raiders traded Jon Gruden to Tampa Bay.

The picks eventually were: Two firsts and two seconds...

1st round/21st overall, 2002
2nd round/53rd overall, 2002
1st round/32nd overall, 2003
2nd round/33rd overall, 2004

And I believe they also threw in $8 million in cash.

I just think we need our first-round picks and second-round picks over the next few years to replenish our talent level. Especially after the Deshaun Watson and Brock Osweiler trades set us back in the past few drafts. I don't think any head coach is worth giving up four draft picks for (two 1sts and two 2nds).

And if we lose to the Giants on Sunday to drop to 0-3.
We could very well be in position for a top three pick in 2019.

No head coach is worth a potential #1 overall pick in the draft.
At least with Gruden those were lower 1st and 2nd round picks.

I'll keep the picks. We need the talent, IMO. If we had a good offensive line I bet we could even win games with O'Brien still the head coach.

If the Steelers fire Mike Tomlin I'd love to have him! Tomlin owns the 15th-highest winning percentage (.659) in NFL history. And he's been to a few Super Bowls before winning one as a head coach.

I think the game passed Mike Shanahan by.
I'm doubting he still has the energy, IMO. He's 66 now.

He was fired after going 3-13 in 2013. And he finished in last place in the NFC East three out of four years in Washington. And he was supposed to be set up for the long haul when he drafted Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins in that 2012 NFL Draft.

If Shanny Sr. were 10 or 15 years younger I'd be intrigued... I would have rather seen his son have a chance to be a head coach here. Heck, I'd have even been thrilled if Gary Kubiak were still our head coach. He could do wonders with a guy like Deshaun Watson. All those bootlegs and rollouts. That West Coast Offense would be ideal given the current state of our offensive line.

The qb running upstairs to the owner played a big part of the late failures. The qb being hurt didn't help.

I'd like to see the percentage of HC's who had success somewhere (I mean real success, won or at least led a team to a SB for example) and then went on to a second job after being fired and experienced similar success.

Bill Parcells comes to mind. Won SB's with the Giants and then went to one with the Patriots. Tony Dungy comes close. Gruden took Dungy's team to a Super Bowl and then Dungy got one with Manning in Indianapolis. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who hit the pinnacle of an NFL career in one place and then replicated it somewhere else. I guess Don Shula took the Colts to the SB and lost to the Jets, then went on to be a HoF coach in Miami with multiple SB's.

Now all of the HC's who won or coached in a SB were once assistants somewhere. I know we missed the boat on Shanahan (The Younger) but an untried but gifted offensive assistant would be my preference. Look for the guys who are out there doing a great job and unlike the Texans when they passed on hiring Gary Kubiak the first time actually go get the guy while he's available. The Titans came and got Vrabel from us. Young assistants are out there. Not older retreads but guys that haven't gotten a shot.

Yes, O'Brain was a coordinator and he sucks. He sucks serious sweaty balls and he sucks them all day long and he's not getting better. Warning signs were there and the hype drowned them out. I fell for it. Lots of us fell for it but worse than that the Texans fell for it. Just go look for the next Doug Pederson and try to avoid the next Jason Garrett. The next Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, or Frank Reich is out there. Go find him.

I'd like to see the percentage of HC's who had success somewhere (I mean real success, won or at least led a team to a SB for example) and then went on to a second job after being fired and experienced similar success.

This says just 6 have led 2 different teams to the SB (there are a few more if you change it to SB or championship game) - Link

Dick Vermeil, John Fox, Don Shula, Bill Parcells, Dan Reeves & Mike Holmgren.

Bill Parcells comes to mind. Won SB's with the Giants and then went to one with the Patriots. Tony Dungy comes close. Gruden took Dungy's team to a Super Bowl and then Dungy got one with Manning in Indianapolis. Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head who hit the pinnacle of an NFL career in one place and then replicated it somewhere else. I guess Don Shula took the Colts to the SB and lost to the Jets, then went on to be a HoF coach in Miami with multiple SB's.

Now all of the HC's who won or coached in a SB were once assistants somewhere. I know we missed the boat on Shanahan (The Younger) but an untried but gifted offensive assistant would be my preference. Look for the guys who are out there doing a great job and unlike the Texans when they passed on hiring Gary Kubiak the first time actually go get the guy while he's available. The Titans came and got Vrabel from us. Young assistants are out there. Not older retreads but guys that haven't gotten a shot.

Yes, O'Brain was a coordinator and he sucks. He sucks serious sweaty balls and he sucks them all day long and he's not getting better. Warning signs were there and the hype drowned them out. I fell for it. Lots of us fell for it but worse than that the Texans fell for it. Just go look for the next Doug Pederson and try to avoid the next Jason Garrett. The next Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, or Frank Reich is out there. Go find him.

John Defilipo. (SP?)

The qb running upstairs to the owner played a big part of the late failures. The qb being hurt didn't help.

Similar to Jeff Fisher, Mike Shanahan seemed more interested in acquiring organizational power, media buddies and ego than coaching.

It’s unfortunate that by keeping O’Brien, the Texans missed out on creative offensive minded coaches like Kyle Shanahan, Sean McVay, and Doug Peterson.

For the next couple of years, I would keep an eye on Matt LaFleur, the Titans' OC. He’s been around the Shanahan/Kubiak schemes while working one year with Sean McVay. Let him get some experience with Mariota and the Titans. After next season, we will have enough information to evaluate his offenses with the Titans and how he schemed against the AFC South defenses.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Going into week 3 is a bit premature to guess who will be available. 3 names that I've supported are Lil Shanny, Pederson ... and I continue to hold a spot for Harbaugh. If he could be convinced that Cal is just there to collect his money, and Jim has Gaine's support - Harbaugh has experience, a vast coaching tree and real (and varied) NFL coaching experience. I don't see a conflict keeping Romeo and his staff - at least for a couple/few years.

Otherwise, unless someone has a particular target this is a futile exercise - there will be 10-15 coaching vacancies in 4 months. Some knee-jerk fires will top the list, as will experienced coordinators who will go from 'experienced' to 'ready'.

Based on how he behaved with the 49ers, I don't see any current NFL GM hiring Harbaugh. If you hire Harbaugh, he brings his own GM/yes man and the owner gives him full control of the organization.

Tomlin curls up in a corner at the sight of Belichick.

According to James Harrison
Gary Kubiak did also but then he got to coach Peyton Manning and that changed. Kubiak won a Super Bowl as a head coach... Granted, Peyton was a shell of his former MVP caliber self by then (the Broncos defense dominated) but he was still intelligent enough to make the big plays when needed.

If Mike Tomlin got to ride Deshaun Watson who knows what can happen. I still believe Deshaun Watson is going to become an All Pro quarterback in the next year or two. Mile Tomlin already rode Big Ben to two Super Bowls, winning one, and he took out the Patriots in the AFC Championship before.

Unfortunately, this year is going to have some growing pains with a weak offensive line that can't pass block for crap, and of course he's playing gingerly coming off that knee injury.

I'm giving Deshaun Watson a free pass for the 2018 season.
Too many bad variables. It's a shame because the kid is special.

Well this is definitely the team to be giving out free passes on so Watson is in the right place.

I think Watson is going to be fine too if he gets out from under O'Brain and finds himself playing for a head coach that will let him play the game his way. As far as I can tell O'Brain only does that with players when his ideas tank is on empty and he's backed into a corner.

Last edited:
Harbaugh is an organizational cancer.

What happened with the 49ers is an inexplicable travesty and will remain as such.

Blame Baalke and York ...

In the eight seasons before Harbaugh arrived in 2011, the 49ers hadn’t had a single winning season and were a cumulative 46-82. In the two seasons since he was let go, the 49ers are 7-25 (now 13-35). In the four seasons Harbaugh was on the job in San Francisco, the 49ers were 44-19, went to three straight NFC Championship Games and a Super Bowl and never had a losing season.
https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Niners-Still-Haunted-by-Jim-Harbaugh-Mistake--409323835.html

If this team got rid of O'Brien only to turn around and get another Patriots asshole---and THAT one at that----I'd legitimately would be done with the franchise.

So I really, really hope not.

So anybody that works for the Pats is an a-hole?

BOB is alot of things, but an A-Hole isn't one of them.

I'm going to throw another name of a good young OC out there, Todd Monken OC Tampa Bay Bucs. He's the difference in Tampa's offense this yr. Wish BOB had hired him.

I could be stoned out of my mind, not knowing the difference between a football and a pumpkin, and make better play calls. And you know why? Because I'd HAVE A ******* OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR TO MAKE THE CALLS.

Just learn how to manage that damn game clock!

Try to lure 61-year-old Bill Cowher away from CBS. A decade ago I'd have drooled over Jimmy Johnson but he's already too old at 75.

Hey, the Raiders lured 55-year-old Jon Gruden away from ESPN. All it takes is throwing a large amount of money at them to tempt them.

I either want a legend head coach that coached his teams to multiple Super Bowls, winning at least one Super Bowl, or I want a young and energetic college guy. But one that is smarter than Bill O'Brien.

Just give me a Super Bowl winning head coach and I'm happy.
Hell, I'd even be okay if Tony Dungy wanted to get back into coaching.
There is precedent for hiring a long retired head coach and winning it all. Dick Vermeil.

I liked the idea of hiring a young 73 year old head coach in Marty Schottenheimer until I saw that he has the onset of Alzheimer's. His age didn't really bother me. Outside of his Alzheimer's he is healthier than his age.

I love the idea of getting Tony Dungy or Bill Cowher. John Gruden's raiders are struggling at this point but I think it will take time for him to build the Raiders to his liking.

Last edited:
Back