Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

You ever top and think that maybe Stafford is part of the problem ... I gotta give a thumbs down to that idea .... because:

1) Going with the clowns we have on the roster now is just pissing away another year. I've had enough with pissing away seasons with sh!t for quarterbacks.

2) We wait another year to address the position and that's all we get ? Sure he's better than anything in a Texans uniform currently .... but I aint waiting another season for him to come here and give us the same results he gave Detroit at free agent prices.

Nope , I'm drafting the best QB on the board at #25 .... assuming one of the top 4 is still there.

1) Going with the clowns we have on the roster now is just pissing away another year. I've had enough with pissing away seasons with sh!t for quarterbacks.

2) We wait another year to address the position and that's all we get ? Sure he's better than anything in a Texans uniform currently .... but I aint waiting another season for him to come here and give us the same results he gave Detroit at free agent prices.

Nope , I'm drafting the best QB on the board at #25 .... assuming one of the top 4 is still there.

Agreed though I have a higher opinion of Stafford then you.

#1 I am not deliberately squandering another season with this cast of Qb's

#2 I am not waiting for Stafford to be there when he'll likely be restructured before next offseason or franchised. In other words I'm not planning our future on a guy no one can say for certain will be available.

I like Trubisky and Mahomes in the first.

Its not likely a guy can come in year 1 and light the world on fire, however if put in the right situation, a player can come in and play well enough for the team win with the right team behind him. Dak is the perfect example, he excelled more because of his O-line and supporting cast than the other way around. There are guys that will be available such as a Peterman who can win games if the O-line is bolstered and the backfield strengthened, coupled with an elite D. Oz's problem wasn't that he didn't light the world on fire, he didn't need to, his problem was that he couldn't convert 3 and 5's (like in Foxboro), he couldn't protect the ball. Its not so crazy to think a rookie can come in and be able to be a game manger very quickly. Its not a question of a guy needing to throw for 300 yards and 2+TD's and put the offense on his back, all that is needed is to make accurate short and intermediate throws, to move the chains, and protect the ball, with every once in a while taking a shot. The bar is very low, so its no as unlikely as it may seem for a rookie to come in and be able to accomplish this. The same goes for Savage if he can stay healthy.
One of the arguments against Weeden's two wins in OB's system is that he was playing with a very abreviated playbook and had he continued to start, defenses would have quickly adapted. This same argument would be true for a rookie starter.

If OB is in a win now position, then he will want to go with a QB who can most effectively execute the entire playbook.

You ever top and think that maybe Stafford is part of the problem ... I gotta give a thumbs down to that idea .... because:

But will you now give OB the slack of a couple more years to develope your rookie QB? I don't think you can have it both ways: demand that OB win now; but then saddle him with a QB unfamiliar with his offense.

But will you now give OB the slack of a couple more years to develope your rookie QB? I don't think you can have it both ways: demand that OB win now; but then saddle him with a QB unfamiliar with his offense.
But this is a thread about "how you want to do it", and not "how OB does it".

If it's my choice, I would consider two ways to go.
A pro system as is, or an Air-Raid spread style.

If the second onex I would make O' Brien adopt his system to incorporate more Air Raid - Zone Read concepts to accommodate the newly drafted QB (see RG III or Mariota in their first year.)

I like Savage, but it's hard to count on his being healthy.

I would sign Keenum firstm
He can run both, and he normally doesn't lose a game for the team.
But I don't expect him to be the long-term situation.

Going into the draft, it will depend on which QB I'm able to draft in the first round.

The top prospects can run the spread style Air Raid.
It's what Mahomes and Watson do.
Kizer and Trubisky can adapt to the pro-style or WCO faster since they run offenses that have some similar concepts and their footwork look just fine.

If I get Kizer or Trubisky I'll go get a couple more guys whose teams also run some (or many) pro concepts like Beathard, Peterman, Webb, or Kaaya.

If I get Mahomes or Watson, I'd go for Evans, Dobbs, Liufau.
Webb also qualifies.

It's an unorthodox move, but I could draft up to 3 QBs to have a chance to work with them before I make a final decision on Savage's health.

One or two drafted QBs can be traded or stacked on the PS.

Weeden (or Savage) can always be brought back; once they get released, their value likely diminish (by a few teams).

But obviously, it's just a pipe dream what I'd like to do, LOL.

How far into the 2016 playoffs do the Browns get with Prescott leading the charge? My guess...they would still win the 2017 RD1-01 Pick. Dak was great because of the team he landed with.
Brandon Weeden more or less had that same team to work wiith while he was in Dallas and yet he could not do good enough for the Cowboys to remain on the team. Other quarterbacks got the chance as well and never did well enough to take the job away from Romo.

I am not sure Tom Brady could have done much more with the Browns. That organization has been poorly run from the top down for a long long time. However we would see an offense that was much more effcient with any quarterback worth anything at all.

On a side note Brian Hoyer did a fairly good job with the Browns. Better than any other quarerback that has started for that team for a long time.

I have no doubt that Dak would have led us to an 11-5 season if he were our quarterback last season. We hardly have the offensive line the Cowboys do but if we were to draft a quarterback the likes of Dak prescott I think we are easily an 11-5 team last year.

I have had my issues with BO'b and how he has run our offense but I can see how poor quarterback play may have played into how he ran the offense. I am still a believer that you have to know how to adjust how you do things based on what seems to work with the talent you have on hand.
Agreed there, bud.

And I'd trade #25 in a fraction of a second to land Garoppolo while working through draft trade or FA to help improve the OL simultaneously.
I get your love of Garoppolo and I would do the same if it is true that O'b feels he is the man he needs to run the offense the way he would like to. If that is not the case I just assume we pick a quarterback in the third or fourth round. Jimmy G has had time to be with a top notch organization and arguably be the back up to the greatest quarterback of all time. That to me makes him worth the risk of trading our first round pick for.

Well thread topic is what would you do and I don't feel like muddling thru is a viable strategy.

Not discounting your points overall but it's beyond time for this team to build the perfect team to plug a QB into.

Houston will never have an identity until it has an iconic QB.
I am not so sure we need an Iconic quarterback. A top 15 quarterback would most likely get the job done.

Trubisky's mechanics are probably the best in this years QB group , he's got a strong enough arm and is accurate , doesn't make many mistakes (6ints).

The only real knock on him is that he only did it one year.

There's also some concerns about his height, combine should tell the tale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2017:

Hold steady with the existing QB's on the roster. Let them compete for QB1. They're all under contract for 2017 with no financial obligations beyond 2017. If one of these QB's surfaces as something special behind an improved OL, running game and better play out of the TE position...then great, problem solved. If they fail and the Texans settle in at 9 wins mostly due to the defense...then problem solved, send them all packing.

2018:

Put the aim squarely on signing Mathew Stafford. He's the closet thing to an available "elite" QB who has been mired in an organization that has never quite figured it out. My guess, there would be a lot of interest on Stafford's part since he'd could return to the State of Texas and play for a team that could very well be an elite QB away from taking the AFC Crown and Super Bowl opportunities away from NE. He's going to fetch what a top QB commands, I would roll the dice and clear some future cap space to get this QB.

Looking at QB's Mason Rudolph / Oklahoma State and Brett Rypien / Boise State in the Draft. I like either one of these guys more than most available prospects in this years class.

Question becomes if and when the Lions franchise him do you pay the two first rounders? If your all in on him you might consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not so sure we need an Iconic quarterback. A top 15 quarterback would most likely get the job done.

How'd that work out when we had a top 10 QB?

What job? Read the sentence and post again. Having a Dilfer and getting 'there' is one thing. Maybe that's enough. Becoming a football town takes an icon QB. A prolonged stretch where it is described as the 'Brady Patriots' the 'Staubach Cowboys.'

And I don't buy this team is even a Dilfer away. We had better than that with both Fitz and Hoyer. We need a real offense.

What job? Read the sentence and post again. Having a Dilfer and getting 'there' is one thing. Maybe that's enough. Becoming a football town takes an icon QB. A prolonged stretch where it is described as the 'Brady Patriots' the 'Staubach Cowboys.'

And I don't buy this team is even a Dilfer away. We had better than that with both Fitz and Hoyer. We need a real offense.

Agreed.

I see a lot of people point to that Pats game. Not only was Brady uncharecteristically off to begin with, but you have to think a different (better) qb would have changed the pats game plan.

If Rick or Bob still want to give him another year, he ain't going nowhere.
Personally, he might improve but is the risk worth a valuable roster spot?

He probably will improve, but when you already know he can't be good, it doesn't matter. He's not going to improve that dramatically; he just doesn't have it.

Agreed.

I see a lot of people point to that Pats game. Not only was Brady uncharecteristically off to begin with, but you have to think a different (better) qb would have changed the pats game plan.

Not to mention, the offense wasn't challenging the Pats. The Pats weren't really required to do anything special. They played the game that way as well, and got safe a lot, because it was what was best for them. It worked too, Texans were behind all game and besides being within a possession, never challenged the Pats to even tie it.

Brandon Weeden more or less had that same team to work wiith while he was in Dallas and yet he could not do good enough for the Cowboys to remain on the team. Other quarterbacks got the chance as well and never did well enough to take the job away from Romo.

I am not sure Tom Brady could have done much more with the Browns. That organization has been poorly run from the top down for a long long time. However we would see an offense that was much more effcient with any quarterback worth anything at all.

On a side note Brian Hoyer did a fairly good job with the Browns. Better than any other quarerback that has started for that team for a long time.

I have no doubt that Dak would have led us to an 11-5 season if he were our quarterback last season. We hardly have the offensive line the Cowboys do but if we were to draft a quarterback the likes of Dak prescott I think we are easily an 11-5 team last year.

I have had my issues with BO'b and how he has run our offense but I can see how poor quarterback play may have played into how he ran the offense. I am still a believer that you have to know how to adjust how you do things based on what seems to work with the talent you have on hand.
I get your love of Garoppolo and I would do the same if it is true that O'b feels he is the man he needs to run the offense the way he would like to. If that is not the case I just assume we pick a quarterback in the third or fourth round. Jimmy G has had time to be with a top notch organization and arguably be the back up to the greatest quarterback of all time. That to me makes him worth the risk of trading our first round pick for.
Weeden had "if-not-great" then a very good O-line as a rookie with the Browns.

Two Pro-Bowlers, a G that was rated no. 1 that year by PFF and two guys that didn't miss a single start their entire tenure with the Browns.

So I agree that Weeden has had his many shots.

The kind of Iconic Qb you speak of is obviously what any of us would want but those kind of quarterbacks are hard to find and usually it takes luck for that. My argument is that it is nice to have a team the likes of "Brady's Patriots" or "Staubach's Cowboys" but those Qb's did not have sustained success without a lot of other factors in place.

I grew up a Denver Broncos fan and I watched "Elways Broncos" have a long period of sustained success from the eighties into the early nineties. That success ended with the Broncos overwhelmed in Super Bowls. Yes most of those losses came with the help of other Qb icons but it was way more than that when it came to the Broncos losing. You have to have the building blocks in place with that Qb icon. The teams the Broncos were losing to also had long runs of success and were well run teams from the top down. Very few teams will ever be epic like the Pats and the hand full of other teams that had long runs of greatness.

There are many teams that have had Qb's who could've been seen as iconic but they never had the talent around them to be seen in that light.
I would much rather we had an iconic Qb but they don't grow on trees so to speak. It takes a bit of luck to get a top Qb but anything is possible.

Even when you win a title and have a Qb that is thought of as iconic you still can not sustain long term success without the pieces that fit them.

Our team is not talent deficient but I don't see us being anything close to Dynasty good. I would love a solid 10 years of sustained top team success but that is not where I see us now even with an iconic Qb. We would be lucky to get there and enjoy that.

At some point the long run of the Pats success will run it's course and it will probably take many years before that kind of success happens again from some team in the NFL.

In that long wait there will be many iconic type Qb's who never enjoy that kind of success.

Aaron Rodgers is seen as one of the most talented Qb's in the NFL and yet aside from his one Super Bowl title his teams have been far from special. Since he is so good why can't he carry the team on his broad shoulders?

We all like to have an iconic QB, but they are not easy picking off a blossoming tree.

Teams are not often in position to get one.
I was all for getting Manning when he was available if the Texans had the cap space.

Other than that, I would want a GM that looks for a QB who had shown he has a penchant to make use of the entire team (his offense, defense, and ST); by which I mean a smart QB.

That was why I advocated for both Wilson and Keenum (as they were both available during the draft.)
A good many number didn't think that Wilson can start right away, but he did.
He did because he had had plenty of experience in the WCO that the Seahawks run.

The problem with O'Brien is he doesn't have a tried-and-true system.
He wants to limit the mistakes his QBs make until it's too late.
He doesn't instill confidence in his players.
He doesn't adapt anywhere near enough to his players' strength.

Under the right circumstances we could win a title with a top 15 Qb. An Iconic Qb would be great. Do you really think there is one available to us this season?

By the way there are several HOF Qb's along the lines of Dan Marino who never won a title or experienced long term team successes.

I know an Iconic Qb could win a title with us but is our organization anywhere near good enough to sustain success and compete for a title season after season with such a Qb. I am not so sure. I could see it happening but until we are lucky enough to land such a Qb I am just hoping to have one title let alone multiple titles.

Last edited:
Weeden had "if-not-great" then a very good O-line as a rookie with the Browns.

Two Pro-Bowlers, a G that was rated no. 1 that year by PFF and two guys that didn't miss a single start their entire tenure with the Browns.

So I agree that Weeden has had his many shots.
The fact that it was brought up the talent Dallas has as being the reason for Daks better than expected rookie season when other Qb's like Weeden got their shot and failed says all I need to know about Dak.

Even Icon's have to be the right fit for the teams they lead. Icon's don't become Icon's with scrub teams. They do make good teams better but usually they reach Iconic status by having plenty of HOF level talent around them.

Brady is a rare gem but with that said I am not so sure if he came along 10 or more years before he did if he would be what he is now.

That is neither here nor there. In this era he is the most successful Qb and has done more with less than most others would have or could have done.

There have been many statistical greats who have/had more talent to work with than Brady has/had and they never experienced near the team success.

Point being, there aren't many Patriots type teams and Brady is as rare a jewel as there will ever be at the Qb position.

The fact that it was brought up the talent Dallas has as being the reason for Daks better than expected rookie season when other Qb's like Weeden got their shot and failed says all I need to know about Dak.

Even Icon's have to be the right fit for the teams they lead. Icon's don't become Icon's with scrub teams. They do make good teams better but usually they reach Iconic status by having plenty of HOF level talent around them.

Brady is a rare gem but with that said I am not so sure if he came along 10 or more years before he did if he would be what he is now.

That is neither here nor there. In this era he is the most successful Qb and has done more with less than most others would have or could have done.

There have been many statistical greats who have/had more talent to work with than Brady has/had and they never experienced near the team success.

Point being, there aren't many Patriots type teams and Brady is as rare a jewel as there will ever be at the Qb position.
True. When you get to this level, you need all phases of the game to seriously go long on a consistent basis.

Before you find that top 7-8 guy, you still need a guy that can do something somehow. Either the guy can make play (but erratic) like Favre, or a guy that play within his means, but see the field enough to distribute the ball and let the other guys make plays.
But while having those guys, IMO, you should still keep looking.
Heck, even with Brady, the Pats kept spending resources on a potential replacement..

Man I'm sticking with Brock since we invested so much cash into him. I've seen plenty of quarterbacks stink up the joint and then turn it around. After 4 games and there's no real improvements, then Savage you're the man. I would also draft a quarterback in this year's draft.

While I appreciate Dak Prescott, what he was able to do, & the promise of his future. Zeke was the reason Dak was able to do what Weeden couldn't.

Yeah, Dallas had a 1000 yard rusher in 2015, just like we did in 2016... but Zeke is a game changer. He keeps the offense on schedule & he'll flip the field, he scores in the red zone, every play in the play book is always available. When they were able to stop Zeke, the Cowboys offense looked like ours. But less than a handful of teams were able to stop him.

Zeke did for Dak what Lynch did for Wilson, LT did for Sanchez, Emmitt did for Troy, TD did for Elway. That doesn't mean those weren't great QBs, or became great QBs, or won't become great QBs. But Zeke is a beast.

We should trade our entire draft for Leonard Fournette & start Brandon Weeden from day 1

While I appreciate Dak Prescott, what he was able to do, & the promise of his future. Zeke was the reason Dak was able to do what Weeden couldn't.

Yeah, Dallas had a 1000 yard rusher in 2015, just like we did in 2016... but Zeke is a game changer. He keeps the offense on schedule & he'll flip the field, he scores in the red zone, every play in the play book is always available. When they were able to stop Zeke, the Cowboys offense looked like ours. But less than a handful of teams were able to stop him.

Zeke did for Dak what Lynch did for Wilson, LT did for Sanchez, Emmitt did for Troy, TD did for Elway. That doesn't mean those weren't great QBs, or became great QBs, or won't become great QBs. But Zeke is a beast.

We should trade our entire draft for Leonard Fournette & start Brandon Weeden from day 1

Stoned_e16f74_512585.gif

I agreed with everything you said. Kinda even fournette. But weeden?

No sir.

I agreed with everything you said. Kinda even fournette. But weeden?

No sir.
Weeden played ok for Dallas. A lack of playmakers and a poor defense didn't help him. I'm not a huge Weeden fan, but I'd give him a shot at winning the position, just like I would any other QB on the roster.

Does the team go backwards from 9 wins if Savage or Weeden starts at QB for 2017 instead of Osweiler?

If the team improves the RT, RG, TE and RB position, could this help Savage or Weeden improve on 9 victories?

Does the team go backwards from 9 wins if Savage or Weeden starts at QB for 2017 instead of Osweiler?

If the team improves the RT, RG, TE and RB position, could this help Savage or Weeden improve on 9 victories?

Opto, don't you ever tire of using common sense and logic against all of these shiny, sparkly pipe dreams .... jees .... what a buzz-killer !!

Opto, don't you ever tire of using common sense and logic against all of these shiny, sparkly pipe dreams .... jees .... what a buzz-killer !!

A buzz kill to say improving 4 positions should make the team better? Is water wet?

You ignore the subject in question. The title of the post is after all "whats your plan for qb next season?"

Apparently, the both of you think the bogey man will go away by just pulling the blanket over your head. Ignoring the problem wont make it go away. You can argue savage and weeden deserve a chance to compete- and id agree. But i wouldnt walk into next season expecting them to be the answer.

If im a dumbass (or as you speculate most of us are) for wanting to add talent at qb, then so be it. My pipe dream is if we continue to take shots at qb, we'll eventually find him. Yours is adding hof'ers at every position to compensate for bad qb performances.

My sincerest apologies for offending you, or anyone else on the board. I just happened to see the post by Opto, and took an opportunity to let him know I was on this board too. He and I do agree about many things in our frequent discussions, (on the other board). We are both old codgers who share many of the same basic tenets on the way to build and maintain a successful football organization .... which, in a perfect world, becomes a dynasty - after a fashion. There is a time-tested recipe, but I don't hold much hope for this front office, when it comes to employing it. Again, it was not my intention to offend you, (or anyone on the board), and I'll try to refrain from any such carelessness in the future. Have a great afternoon.

I really enjoy talking sports and by no means do I come on these boards to offend anyone. The debates are fun but also offer angles on the subject that no one person can anticipate...this makes them educational as well.

So, when this subject came up I just went with the possible facts...I'm not on the inside but try to read actions since they often speak louder than words.

For me...I need to see what Savage or Weeden can do before cutting ties with either of them. Osweiler should be on the market or cut before June 1. Why, he had 16 starts (including playoffs) and didn't improve his game to the standard of his payday, yet the team pulled out 10 wins overall. Thank you defense.

Defense is poised to carry this team in 2017, once again. To help reduce the burden on the defense...
1. Fix the right side of the line. Got to give whoever is QB1 a better chance at success. This would also give the RB's a chance to run left or right with the same authority. Knowing this, makes upgrading the OL my top priority in the draft.

2. Seeing how EE saved the Cowboys, which also helped Dak have a great rookie season...it would do the Texans well to try and emulate their approach. Miller is a definitive weapon but he isn't the workhorse who's going to get those tough yards while challenging the defense between the tackles. Another priority that I can only assume would help the offense overall and help keep the defense on the sidelines a little longer.

3. A TE that is complete will be able to block, chip and challenge the seam might be a nice compliment to this team and the QB. This offense requires a TE that fits this description. This year the TE's in the draft are decent and there are plenty to choose from...so find one and hopefully he's a gem.

For me, fix these problems and insert Savage or Weeden for the same or better results. One thing for certain, O'Brien can utilize his entire playbook with either QB. This is another thing that the fans of Houston haven't had a chance to witness during O'Brien's tenure...a 100% open playbook. Personally, I'm tired of watching this team running a dumbed down version of this offense for the past 3 years and wouldn't be excited to see it again for year four.

Fellas, i think my post reads harsher then intended. So i apologize. I'd welcome more talent at rt, rg, te, safety, ilb, etc and it would make us better. Id be ok with allowing savage and weeden a chance. They might do better on a better team then oz had. No arguing that. I just want some continued effort to fix the qb position even if its just a 6th rd pick every year. We cant fix it if we dont try.

We're way past that. We could have won 13 games & most would have still been upset because we weren't getting past the Patriots with "a little" better QB play or improvement on the OL. Many believe the Steelers would have pummeled us as well.

Imagine hosting the AFCCG at NRG two weeks before the Super Bowl will be played at NRG & being completely understand competitive with the "2nd best" team.

You had me till the part about Weeden.

I really enjoy talking sports and by no means do I come on these boards to offend anyone. The debates are fun but also offer angles on the subject that no one person can anticipate...this makes them educational as well.

So, when this subject came up I just went with the possible facts...I'm not on the inside but try to read actions since they often speak louder than words.

For me...I need to see what Savage or Weeden can do before cutting ties with either of them. Osweiler should be on the market or cut before June 1. Why, he had 16 starts (including playoffs) and didn't improve his game to the standard of his payday, yet the team pulled out 10 wins overall. Thank you defense.

Defense is poised to carry this team in 2017, once again. To help reduce the burden on the defense...
1. Fix the right side of the line. Got to give whoever is QB1 a better chance at success. This would also give the RB's a chance to run left or right with the same authority. Knowing this, makes upgrading the OL my top priority in the draft.

2. Seeing how EE saved the Cowboys, which also helped Dak have a great rookie season...it would do the Texans well to try and emulate their approach. Miller is a definitive weapon but he isn't the workhorse who's going to get those tough yards while challenging the defense between the tackles. Another priority that I can only assume would help the offense overall and help keep the defense on the sidelines a little longer.

3. A TE that is complete will be able to block, chip and challenge the seam might be a nice compliment to this team and the QB. This offense requires a TE that fits this description. This year the TE's in the draft are decent and there are plenty to choose from...so find one and hopefully he's a gem.

For me, fix these problems and insert Savage or Weeden for the same or better results. One thing for certain, O'Brien can utilize his entire playbook with either QB. This is another thing that the fans of Houston haven't had a chance to witness during O'Brien's tenure...a 100% open playbook. Personally, I'm tired of watching this team running a dumbed down version of this offense for the past 3 years and wouldn't be excited to see it again for year four.
Re #2.
I have an idea about Dak and Eke that I think would work for Texans as well.
You hear it said that a good TE is a QB's best friend, well I think it is more a good RB - and look how that went for Dak.
The difference for those two is that they were drafted together and became good friends in the process.
Now, Texans new rookie QB will likely not start in his rookie season, but they can still train and gel together.
This is why I personally would like to see Texans make it a 1-2 punch in the draft with a QB and RB in the first four rounds at least - preferably QB in R1 and RB by R4.

Last edited:
We're way past that. We could have won 13 games & most would have still been upset because we weren't getting past the Patriots with "a little" better QB play or improvement on the OL. Many believe the Steelers would have pummeled us as well.

Imagine hosting the AFCCG at NRG two weeks before the Super Bowl will be played at NRG & being completely understand competitive with the "2nd best" team.
Thus, teams with Iconic Qb's have similar talent around them. The teams with long term success keep plenty of talent stocked for those long runs.

Man I'm sticking with Brock since we invested so much cash into him. I've seen plenty of quarterbacks stink up the joint and then turn it around. After 4 games and there's no real improvements, then Savage you're the man. I would also draft a quarterback in this year's draft.

Enjoy next season with an inaccurate Jiraffe

Great post

Highlighted by the word imagine

You willing to waste another yr on that bet?

15 yrs and counting.

So we are going to discredit Ole Matt Schaub decent years like that. And we don't know if it's going to be a waste or not. All I know is its a damn good chance Brock will be our starter whether we like it or not. We can go back and forth about this matter until we're blue in the face. When it's all said and done O'Brien will make that call not the fans. So there's really no need to continue to babble about this particular topic.

Brock Osweiler....I would give him the same benefit of the doubt in regards to what I think the teams needs to do offensively to give Savage or Weeden the best chance at winning next season.

The difference, after watching Osweiler last season there were multiple flaws that he never improved on:
1. His footwork is horrible and it never improved.
2. His arm angle takes away his height advantage. This never will improve.
3. Stares down his intended receiver. This could improve with better system knowledge but it didn't improve after 16 overall starts last season.
4. That wind-up gave defenders plenty of time to adjust to his throws. Even when his receivers had the advantage it was lost due to the stare down and long release. I couldn't imagine O'Brien not discussing this repeatedly with Osweiler on film day and trying to resolve this issue during practices, so I'm not sure this can be corrected. Might be an insight as to why O'Brien benched him and McNair saying it was a "gutsy" call to bench (his) Osweiler.
5. It looked as though he never quite grasped any part of the complex offense as the season grew and therefore lived with the dump-offs.
6. He couldn't hit anything beyond 20 yards if the throw was to go outside the hash-marks. His inability and DC's knowledge of him not making this type of throw effectively eliminated the ability to stretch defenses. This is a horrible mechanical flaw and I'm not sure it can be fixed. It's like he's shot-putting his throws from an under his shoulder delivery...this is ugly, just plain ugly.

So, if Osweiler's chances to remain QB1 in 2017 rest solely on O'Brien....my bet, he's on the first train out of Houston or carrying a clipboard until the 2017 season is over.

You willing to waste another yr on that bet?

15 yrs and counting.

I am.

I know I saw enough from Brock to believe he can be as good as Dalton or Tannehill. I need to know we have a staff that can get that out of him. & I know Dalton & Tannehill are not good enough for what we want.

I'd still draft Mahommes at 25. But if Osweiler, Savage, or Weeden do not look as competent as Dalton/Tannehill I will be bringing in a new offensive team to prepare Mahommes for 2018.

I am.

I know I saw enough from Brock to believe he can be as good as Dalton or Tannehill. I need to know we have a staff that can get that out of him. & I know Dalton & Tannehill are not good enough for what we want.

I'd still draft Mahommes at 25. But if Osweiler, Savage, or Weeden do not look as competent as Dalton/Tannehill I will be bringing in a new offensive team to prepare Mahommes for 2018.
You need to see an eye doctor. I'm with you on Mahomes, but at 2.57. I still like Savage more than Os and Weeden is a total wild card, but I'd like to see an open competition.

I still like Savage more than Os and Weeden is a total wild card, but I'd like to see an open competition.

Doesn't matter to me. Savage, Os,Weeden... Weeden, Savage, Osweiler... Savage, Weeden, Osweiler... I think the coaches has & have had more than enough to produce better than the 20th ranked offense in the league.

I'm tired of arguing over a symptom.

Back