Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

What's your plan for QB next season?

I like Garoppolo and think he could get acclimated to O'Brien's system faster than any available veteran but I would hate to give up a RD1-25 for Garoppolo. Reason, addressing the OL is a bigger need this year than a QB in my eyes.

Now, if getting a QB is the end-all for the upcoming season then I would make the following offer to Beli:

Texans Get:
Garoppolo
RD2-32-064

Patriots Get:
Hopkins

Does Beli even look at this deal if he's expecting a RD1 Top10 pick in return?

I like Garoppolo and think he could get acclimated to O'Brien's system faster than any available veteran but I would hate to give up a RD1-25 for Garoppolo. Reason, addressing the OL is a bigger need this year than a QB in my eyes.

Addressing the OL is a bigger need than rolling the dice on any QB. Taking the right QB though would be a bigger get while the OL can perhaps begin being addressed this yr and completed next yr while that special QB is still here moving forward.

My preferred track for the off season would to give up the 25th this year and say a 4th next year (if needed) for Jimmy G. I think he presents a better option for the future than ANY other QB in the draft or otherwise. Then use the next two/three picks for O-line. Not able to get a Jimmy G. deal done, then pick up Romo (hope like hell he stays upright for 2 years) and draft a QB for development and again use the next picks for O-line. If you can't get any of that done MAYBE look at Cutler or the backup in Cincy to hold down the position for a year or two to develop the drafted kid. Best is Jimmy G., but we need SOME sort of at least halfway competent QB play while getting the kid ready if we have to draft one. I doubt Savage or Weeden can provide that and we dang well know Oss can't.

Texans need to get out of this rut of always grabbing a mediocre QB and sticking him behind an OL that is questionable at best and then holding out hope for amazing results. At some point, this OL must be made the priority, then add a QB.

Texans need to get out of this rut of always grabbing a mediocre QB and sticking him behind an OL that is questionable at best and then holding out hope for amazing results. At some point, this OL must be made the priority, then add a QB.

So we can't grab a good QB and build the OL at the same time?

That's certainly one way. Making the right trade could be another.
Drafting a quarterback in the third round or later usually does not pay dividends right away. Making the right choice is a part of it but not in regards to a quarterback who is game ready as fast as Dak was.

It is not like a first round talent will fall to the Texans in the first round where they are drafting. So, given that, I would rather we take best quarterback available in the third or fourth round. Then you most likely have to see if he is a guy worth grooming. It is doubtful we catch lightning in a bottle. Not impossible mind you. I am sure Dallas never imagined Dak would be so ready.

The perfect scenario outside of getting a Dak type steal is to draft a quarterback in the third or fourth round and see what kind of potential he has. In the mean time keep what we have at quarterback and let them all compete for the starting role. Hopefully the cream rises to the top so to speak.

Of coarse that would also depend on if a much better option at quarterback does not become available in trade or through free agency.

As you build your precious OL other pieces are sliding away. The QB is the single player who most affects the team. You keep trying every offseason until you get one. We've futzed around for 3 seasons, make it 4 actually, without a viable QB. Credit that they took a shot last year. But meanwhile 21 other players aged 4 years. Brown is 31 instead of 27. JJo is 33 instead of 29, etc. Solid players like Brandon Brooks come and go in that kind of time period. We have f'ked off half the career of a whole set of players being 9-7 and annihilated.

You want to wait 2 years? - do it after getting a QB. This isn't the '02 OL. They need a RT and depth. RTs don't need to be 1st rounders as a general matter and certainly not as a priority over QB.

Not going after a QB until you have one is just kicking the can down the road.

As you build your precious OL other pieces are sliding away. The QB is the single player who most affects the team. You keep trying every offseason until you get one. We've futzed around for 3 seasons, make it 4 actually, without a viable QB. Credit that they took a shot last year. But meanwhile 21 other players aged 4 years. Brown is 31 instead of 27. JJo is 33 instead of 29, etc. Solid players like Brandon Brooks come and go in that kind of time period. We have f'ked off half the career of a whole set of players being 9-7 and annihilated.

You want to wait 2 years? - do it after getting a QB. This isn't the '02 OL. They need a RT and depth. RTs don't need to be 1st rounders as a general matter and certainly not as a priority over QB.

I am all for taking a Qb in every draft until something sticks. Throw enough mud at the wall and something will stick.

This season does not look good in regards us to getting top talent at Qb in the first two rounds. That leaves us with possible value at the Qb position anywhere from the third to the fourth round.

As far as OL, I agree with you but outside of breaking the bank so to speak to move up in the draft, I don't see us drafting a Qb in the first two rounds this season.

I would rather we take a OL in one of the first two rounds this season.

Last edited:
Drafting a quarterback in the third round or later usually does not pay dividends right away. Making the right choice is a part of it but not in regards to a quarterback who is game ready as fast as Dak was.

It is not like a first round talent will fall to the Texans in the first round where they are drafting. So, given that, I would rather we take best quarterback available in the third or fourth round. Then you most likely have to see if he is a guy worth grooming. It is doubtful we catch lightning in a bottle. Not impossible mind you. I am sure Dallas never imagined Dak would be so ready.

The perfect scenario outside of getting a Dak type steal is to draft a quarterback in the third or fourth round and see what kind of potential he has. In the mean time keep what we have at quarterback and let them all compete for the starting role. Hopefully the cream rises to the top so to speak.

Of coarse that would also depend on if a much better option at quarterback does not become available in trade or through free agency.

I really don't know what all of this has to do with anything I've said so far.

I really don't know what all of this has to do with anything I've said so far.
Point being is that I agree with you to some extent. We need OL help and it does not seem to me that trading up to take a quarterback is a good decision. Not this season anyway.

Point is this thread is about what we would do at Qb. That basically is my point in regards to our priority at drafting a Qb this season. I would rather address the OL in one of the first two rounds than reach at Qb.

That seems to be what others are inferring where if I understood you correctly you would rather us address the OL early in the draft than do anything rash.

I was basically answering that I agree and do not see any reason to reach at Qb.

Agreed there, bud.

And I'd trade #25 in a fraction of a second to land Garoppolo while working through draft trade or FA to help improve the OL simultaneously.

Albert BreerVerified account‏@AlbertBreer 4m4 minutes ago

Albert Breer Retweeted bill hofheimer

The list: Peterman, Kizer, Trubisky, Watson, Mahomes, Kaaya and Dobbs.

Albert Breer added,

C5XJdxPWQAA6j7w.jpg

bill hofheimer@bhofheimer_espn
Just announced: These 7 QBs will be part of Jon Gruden's QB Camp this spring on ESPN. http://es.pn/2l473Gn #NFLDraft

Peterman - Appears to have B+ traits across the board, and that could work. Interested, but not until 3rd at earliest.
Kizer - Not terribly interested. Strong physical traits but seems lacking in intangibles.
Trubisky - Quite like, but will be gone far too early of course.
Watson - Like enough for a 2nd but won't be there.
Mahomes - I'm on the bandwagon, but not for a first. Ramczyk/Bolles in the 1st with Mahomes to follow would be ideal.
Kaaya - Appears to be C+/B- traits across the board. If we do absolutely nothing else and he's still there in the 4th then sure ... I guess.
Dobbs - No real interest to speak of.

You don't fart around with + or - a round if you like a QB. The idea someone isn't worth 1.25 but will be gone by 2.25 so we can't/shouldn't get him is some sort of dark cave draftnik pink sky world.

You can certainly fart around with the idea of weighing the worth of other players still on the board vs just how much you like that QB, sure.

Reactions: Max
I guess I am in the minority here because I think the O-line doesn't need a rebuild just a facelift. Brown, Sua Filo, Martin are supposed to be a solid foundation on the line, DB might only have a few years left of high level play, but as for 2017 -18 he should be good, when you look at guard you have Mancz and Allen to compete. The addition of an above average RT would go a long way and make the line into a solid group.

If you don't like Mancz or Allen, there are many options in FA this year, it will cost between 6-9M depending on who you sign, if you wanna go that route and firm up guard first, you can cut Allen next year (2018) and make about 5M of space. Then you can draft a RT and solidify the line that way.

All in all the line doesn't need a complete overhaul, and can be made solid with only a minor allocation of resources.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can certainly fart around with the idea of weighing the worth of other players still on the board vs just how much you like that QB, sure.

How'd that work out with X?

No you can't. No individual OLmen has set up and made a team dominate for a decade. And there's always someone right behind the next OLman in the draft.
That simply isn't true with QB.

And all this 'value' ranking stuff is draftnik masturbation to begin with. Arguing over 1.25 v. 1.10 for 'value' on a QB is pure draftnik fantasy.

So we can't grab a good QB and build the OL at the same time?

Haven't been able to do it yet...got lucky with Schaub for 3 seasons before Kubiak thought his OL could be replaced by anyone. Didn't have an OL before that period and there hasn't been one that good since that period. If I'm going to start somewhere, get the trenches together first...then add your window dressing.

Ever see a great QB lead a lousy team to the Super Bowl? None that I can recall. Ever seen a great team win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB? Yeah, I've actually seen that done on multiple occasions.

How'd that work out with X?

No you can't. No individual OLmen has set up and made a team dominate for a decade. And there's always someone right behind the next OLman in the draft.
That simply isn't true with QB.

And all this 'value' ranking stuff is draftnik masturbation to begin with. Arguing over 1.25 v. 1.10 for 'value' on a QB is pure draftnik fantasy.

Are you asking me how someone else's valuation worked out?

I personally wanted to take Jimmy at 2.33. I valued him over X.

And so yes you can. I think Mahomes has the ability/traits to become a legit player, but I'm not terribly sure. I believe Ram/Bolles have a much better shot of making an impact. I'd prefer to have that better shot at OL where we need it and roll the dice on whether or not Mahomes will actually work. If there were no OL in this scenario that I felt that way about it would make Mahomes more reasonable earlier.

You seem to be arguing over the idea of if you really are all in on a QB prospect, and sure, in that scenario you take him when you can get him. That's not what I'm arguing at all though.

Haven't been able to do it yet...got lucky with Schaub for 3 seasons before Kubiak thought his OL could be replaced by anyone. Didn't have an OL before that period and there hasn't been one that good since that period. If I'm going to start somewhere, get the trenches together first...then add your window dressing.

Ever see a great QB lead a lousy team to the Super Bowl? None that I can recall. Ever seen a great team win a Super Bowl with a mediocre QB? Yeah, I've actually seen that done on multiple occasions.

So your argument is we haven't done it so it isn't possible/worth the effort? Of course it's possible. Just evaluate, draft, sign, and manage your roster well.

And who is saying we should have a great QB on a lousy team?

Are you asking me how someone else's valuation worked out?

I'm pointing out all these draftnik rankings are BS especially when they come to QBs. A Schaub QB is worth more than Joe Thomas ... if he pans out. QBs are bigger gambles. But you have to have one.

Maybe Houston fans are happy with lottery ticket BS with a Dilfer, Johnson, McMahon. But Staubach, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady and yes Aikman own the SB. 5 guys, how many appearances and championships?

A Dilfer here and there tempts you to stupid.

I'm pointing out all these draftnik rankings are BS especially when they come to QBs. A Schaub QB is worth more than Joe Thomas ... if he pans out. QBs are bigger gambles. But you have to have one.

Maybe Houston fans are happy with lottery ticket BS with a Dilfer, Johnson, McMahon. But Staubach, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady and yes Aikman own the SB. 5 guys, how many appearances and championships?

Really feel like we're on completely different subjects.

And I don't know who's happy with lottery ticket bs. But ya, ok.

Really feel like we're on completely different subjects.

And I don't know who's happy with lottery ticket bs. But ya, ok.

Well thread topic is what would you do and I don't feel like muddling thru is a viable strategy.

Not discounting your points overall but it's beyond time for this team to build the perfect team to plug a QB into.

Houston will never have an identity until it has an iconic QB.

And of Staubach, Montana, Bradshaw, Brady and Aikman, which of them won their Super Bowls with an average OL or other complimentary pieces to their respective offenses? Staubach, Bradshaw and Aikman looked like busted picks until their teams got much-much better.

Does Steve Young ever sniff a Super Bowl had he stayed with the Bucs? Hell Vinny Testeverde claimed to be color blind playing with the Bucs...but amazingly, that cleared up instantly when he got out of Tampa Bay. Let's jump to last season, how many victories does Prescott lead the Browns to? 10? 11? 12? I'm thinking that even with Dak, they're good for 3 maybe 4.

Well thread topic is what would you do and I don't feel like muddling thru is a viable strategy.

Not discounting your points overall but it's beyond time for this team to build the perfect team to plug a QB into.

No argument there at all.

Why I'd have no problem trading valuable assets to acquire Garoppolo. Also why I labeled the draft eligible QBs the way I did, out of weighing their warts vs them having the goods to be that icon.

Done with the conversation with anyone who says Staubach looked like a busted pick. Do a teensy bit of research.

10th round pick because despite being Heisman he intended to honor his commitment and volunteered twice to serve in Vietnam when he could have avoided due to color blindness. Meanwhile the Navy and Landry worked every lever they could because they knew he would be great after serving his country.

Yeah, 'close to bust.' That's the guy who will leave you with his dying gasp and a championship. You lack perspective. The man changed the game. There are pocket passers. There are running QBs. And then there's THE true scrambler.

Reactions: JB

I don't know, you don't know, fans don't know and the NFL doesn't know what Savage potentially brings to this team as the starter or if he can be that iconic QB we all seem to be clamoring for.

What I do know, Savage is the only QB O'Brien has drafted. In my eyes, O'Brien might have been over-protective to a fault in preparing his QB for the NFL game. O'Brien has also gone to great lengths to protect Savage and keep him off the PS. In season one, he was legitimately injured. Season two, that injury was not an IR injury...but it allowed O'Brien and the FO to make it a very "Roster Strategic" injury by putting him on IR. Savage spends year two learning the playbook inside and out. O'Brien says as much when he tells the media that he quizzes Savage every day on plays and he always supplies the right answer. Season three should be the year that Savage gets the start and instead McNair rifles his arm up RS's arse and says we've signed what we believe to be, the Texans first iconic QB...Osweiler. Well that fizzled out like a popcorn fart, didn't it? As a RD4 pick...Savage should have been kept off IR in season two and been allowed to return when his injury had healed, then we would have been in a better position to see TS's growth with a full season under his belt in year three. Savage is now entering the final year of his rookie contract and the only one who seems to know what the team has in Savage is Bill O'Brien.

So, is a drafted QB at #25 going to be the Texans iconic savior in 2017? Not only no, but hell no. 2018? Will probably be enduring the growing pains of learning this system. Is O'Brien still the HC if his 2017 RD1 QB isn't delivering? Probably not. Now this young starter will face learning his second offensive system in year three. I think O'Brien is going to roll with his guy next season and let the chips fall where they fall...and I'm very ok with this.

Done with the conversation with anyone who says Staubach looked like a busted pick. Do a teensy bit of research.

10th round pick because despite being Heisman he intended to honor his commitment and volunteered twice to serve in Vietnam when he could have avoided due to color blindness. Meanwhile the Navy and Landry worked every lever they could because they knew he would be great after serving his country.

Yeah, 'close to bust.' That's the guy who will leave you with his dying gasp and a championship. You lack perspective. The man changed the game. There are pocket passers. There are running QBs. And then there's THE true scrambler.

Missed the point by a mile. Staubach was my favorite player growing up...even while I was an Oilers fan. He's the reason I always picked the number 12 in every sport I played. But the point being made, these QB's endured the growing pains of their teams before they got to enjoy their greatness. If the greatness of these teams had never been built, these QB's like all the one's before and after them, that did not win multiple SB's or establish what would have seemed like insurmountable records would have faded into the history books.

Its not likely a guy can come in year 1 and light the world on fire, however if put in the right situation, a player can come in and play well enough for the team win with the right team behind him. Dak is the perfect example, he excelled more because of his O-line and supporting cast than the other way around. There are guys that will be available such as a Peterman who can win games if the O-line is bolstered and the backfield strengthened, coupled with an elite D. Oz's problem wasn't that he didn't light the world on fire, he didn't need to, his problem was that he couldn't convert 3 and 5's (like in Foxboro), he couldn't protect the ball. Its not so crazy to think a rookie can come in and be able to be a game manger very quickly. Its not a question of a guy needing to throw for 300 yards and 2+TD's and put the offense on his back, all that is needed is to make accurate short and intermediate throws, to move the chains, and protect the ball, with every once in a while taking a shot. The bar is very low, so its no as unlikely as it may seem for a rookie to come in and be able to accomplish this. The same goes for Savage if he can stay healthy.

Amen.

I don't know, you don't know, fans don't know and the NFL doesn't know what Savage potentially brings to this team as the starter or if he can be that iconic QB we all seem to be clamoring for.

What I do know, Savage is the only QB O'Brien has drafted. In my eyes, O'Brien might have been over-protective to a fault in preparing his QB for the NFL game. O'Brien has also gone to great lengths to protect Savage and keep him off the PS. In season one, he was legitimately injured. Season two, that injury was not an IR injury...but it allowed O'Brien and the FO to make it a very "Roster Strategic" injury by putting him on IR. Savage spends year two learning the playbook inside and out. O'Brien says as much when he tells the media that he quizzes Savage every day on plays and he always supplies the right answer. Season three should be the year that Savage gets the start and instead McNair rifles his arm up RS's arse and says we've signed what we believe to be, the Texans first iconic QB...Osweiler. Well that fizzled out like a popcorn fart, didn't it? As a RD4 pick...Savage should have been kept off IR in season two and been allowed to return when his injury had healed, then we would have been in a better position to see TS's growth with a full season under his belt in year three. Savage is now entering the final year of his rookie contract and the only one who seems to know what the team has in Savage is Bill O'Brien.

So, is a drafted QB at #25 going to be the Texans iconic savior in 2017? Not only no, but hell no. 2018? Will probably be enduring the growing pains of learning this system. Is O'Brien still the HC if his 2017 RD1 QB isn't delivering? Probably not. Now this young starter will face learning his second offensive system in year three. I think O'Brien is going to roll with his guy next season and let the chips fall where they fall...and I'm very ok with this.

You're love for Savage is uncannily off the charts. Brought this love all the way from the other Texans forum.

Dude it's a good chance Savage won't be a Texans this season coming up. We could trade him since he has one more year on his rookie contract. Trade Bait.

You're love for Savage is uncannily off the charts. Brought this love all the way from the other Texans forum.

Dude it's a good chance Savage won't be a Texans this season coming up. We could trade him since he has one more year on his rookie contract. Trade Bait.

Now, if getting a QB is the end-all for the upcoming season then I would make the following offer to Beli:

Texans Get:
Garoppolo
RD2-32-064

Patriots Get:
Hopkins

To clarify, you want to trade our 1st round pick for a late 2nd round QB that has proven nothing AND you want to include our 1st round WR that is a proved star for the last 2nd round pick in the draft?

I wanted Garropolo at 2.1 the year he came out and think highly of him. But that deal? No way

To clarify, you want to trade our 1st round pick for a late 2nd round QB that has proven nothing AND you want to include our 1st round WR that is a proved star for the last 2nd round pick in the draft?

I wanted Garropolo at 2.1 the year he came out and think highly of him. But that deal? No way

Maybe im misreading or just tired but it looks like:

We send DHOP

We get jimmyG AND their 2nd rd pick

I don't think theyd do it.

Call me crazy but I'd be damn tempted to go after the best FA QB I could get - Romo or Cutler should they be released .... Draft one early , probably Mahomes because Kizer , Trubisky and Watson are probably long gone by #25 ..... Then take another later in the draft , Peterman , Evans or Kelly at the tail end and Cut Brock.

Eventually I'm gonna hit the jackpot , just have to keep pulling the lever and watching the wheels spin.

Texans Get:
Garoppolo
RD2-32-064

Patriots Get:
Hopkins

Dude no , just no.

Reactions: JB
Maybe im misreading or just tired but it looks like:

We send DHOP

We get jimmyG AND their 2nd rd pick

I don't think theyd do it.

His plan is we give up 1.25 AND DHOP for their 2.32 and Garropolo

Haven't been able to do it yet...got lucky with Schaub for 3 seasons before Kubiak thought his OL could be replaced by anyone. Didn't have an OL before that period and there hasn't been one that good since that period.

That OL Schaub got hurt behind was a damn solid unit .... Schaub got hurt on a freakin QB sneak .... lardass stepped on his foot and caused the lisfranc.

Is Trubisky the real deal or overrated?
I've seen conflicting grades on him.

Trubisky's mechanics are probably the best in this years QB group , he's got a strong enough arm and is accurate , doesn't make many mistakes (6ints).

The only real knock on him is that he only did it one year.

His plan is we give up 1.25 AND DHOP for their 2.32 and Garropolo

Read it again...DHop for Garoppolo and the Pats RD2-32...that's it.

I need that RD1-25, what good is Garoppolo if I give him the same OL as Osweiler played behind?

2017:

Hold steady with the existing QB's on the roster. Let them compete for QB1. They're all under contract for 2017 with no financial obligations beyond 2017. If one of these QB's surfaces as something special behind an improved OL, running game and better play out of the TE position...then great, problem solved. If they fail and the Texans settle in at 9 wins mostly due to the defense...then problem solved, send them all packing.

2018:

Put the aim squarely on signing Mathew Stafford. He's the closet thing to an available "elite" QB who has been mired in an organization that has never quite figured it out. My guess, there would be a lot of interest on Stafford's part since he'd could return to the State of Texas and play for a team that could very well be an elite QB away from taking the AFC Crown and Super Bowl opportunities away from NE. He's going to fetch what a top QB commands, I would roll the dice and clear some future cap space to get this QB.

Looking at QB's Mason Rudolph / Oklahoma State and Brett Rypien / Boise State in the Draft. I like either one of these guys more than most available prospects in this years class.

Back