Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Welcome to Houston Will Anderson

My son and I have been reviewing games and I’ve been paying close attention to Anderson as he is someone that I can’t figure out.

It was noted that Anderson likes to go down on all fours. Not only that but he has a tell. We literally knew -EVERYTIME- he was going to bull rush. It is then when he gets stopped or pushed away from the play. He keeps putting his body “position” into an aggressive mode -before- the snap and he often shakes that leg when in that certain position. These are tells. As a result… Do you guys think he is making it easier for teams to block him in that case?

My son and I have been reviewing games and I’ve been paying close attention to Anderson as he is someone that I can’t figure out.

It was noted that Anderson likes to go down on all fours. Not only that but he has a tell. We literally knew -EVERYTIME- he was going to bull rush. It is then when he gets stopped or pushed away from the play. He keeps putting his body “position” into an aggressive mode -before- the snap and he often shakes that leg when in that certain position. These are tells. As a result… Do you guys think he is making it easier for teams to block him in that case?
Yes, for the smarter players.

Getting down on all fours is not a tell on it's own. Look at Nick Bosa for example - he gets very low like a panther ready to pounce.
I imagine a good pass rusher could use that tell to psyche out an olineman into thinking he is going to bullrush too. Works both ways.

Getting down on all fours is not a tell on it's own. Look at Nick Bosa for example - he gets very low like a panther ready to pounce.
I imagine a good pass rusher could use that tell to psyche out an olineman into thinking he is going to bullrush too. Works both ways.
i mean in terms of amping himself up when he’s down. He does it “animately” if that’s a word. For example… shaking his leg. Wobbling his fingers etc etc, he is animated when he’s ready to bull rush. I haven’t seen him “pretend” to bull rush too much. When he does it… he’s gonna. Thats the tell I meant.

i mean in terms of amping himself up when he’s down. He does it “animately” if that’s a word. For example… shaking his leg. Wobbling his fingers etc etc, he is animated when he’s ready to bull rush. I haven’t seen him “pretend” to bull rush too much. When he does it… he’s gonna. Thats the tell I meant.
Doesn't he bull rush every time?

With the regular season over, we can pretty much put to bed the cost for moving up for Will Anderson. First, last year's draft points:

To Cardinals
2023 1.12 = 1200 points
2023 2.33 = 580 points

To Texans
2023 1.3 = 2200 points
2023 4.105 - 84 points

This year's draft points:

To Cardinals
2024 1.21 = 800
2024 3.86 = 160 points

But you also need to consider the cost differential between a 2023 pick vs a 2024 pick. Go back to the 2017 draft, where the Texans moved up 13 spots in the first round from 1.25 to 1.12. That was a difference of 1200 - 720 = 480 points. The Texans paid that point difference with a 1st round pick from the following year. So a future 1st is worth like a high to mid 2nd round pick in the current draft.

Same with the future 3rd pick. It's value is about the same as the 2023 4th round pick the Texans received from the Cardinals. In fact, the Texans traded that 2023 4th round pick to the Eagles for a 2024 3rd round pick. Therefore, the point differential between what the Texans received in 2023 and gave up in 2024 cancels out.

So what's the verdict?

Texans receive = 2023 1.3 (2200) for 2023 1.12 (1200) + 2023 2.33 (580) + 2024 1.21ish (480) = 2260 total points. A difference of 60 points to the Cardinals. Not much of a point differential, and a trade I would hope the Texnas would make again.

Last edited:
With the regular season over, we can pretty much put to bed the cost for moving up for Will Anderson. First, last year's draft points:

To Cardinals
2023 1.12 = 1200 points
2023 2.33 = 580 points

To Texans
2023 1.3 = 2200 points
2023 4.105 - 84 points

This year's draft points:

To Cardinals
2024 1.21 = 800
2024 3.86 = 160 points

But you also need to consider the cost differential between a 2023 pick vs a 2024 pick. Go back to the 2017 draft, where the Texans moved up 13 spots in the first round from 1.25 to 1.12. That was a difference of 1200 - 720 = 480 points. The Texans paid that point difference with a 1st round pick from the following year. So a future 1st is worth like a high to mid 2nd round pick in the current draft.

Same with the future 3rd pick. It's value is about the same as the 2023 4th round pick the Texans received from the Cardinals. In fact, the Texans traded that 2023 4th round pick to the Eagles for a 2024 3rd round pick. Therefore, the point differential between what the Texans received in 2023 and gave up in 2024 cancels out.

So what's the verdict?

Texans receive = 2023 1.3 (2200) for 2023 1.12 (1200) + 2023 2.33 (580) + 2024 1.21ish (480) = 2260 total points. A difference of 60 points to the Cardinals. Not much of a point differential, and a trade I would hope the Texnas would make again.
You just proved that the Texans have a sharp GM.

Mollywhopper had the numbers right on draft day. Must be some kinda savant math wiz, like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

I got you bro..

giphy.gif

Mollywhopper had the numbers right on draft day. Must be some kinda savant math wiz, like Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.

And a difference of a mid 4th rounder to guarantee the cleanest prospect in the draft (anderson) after just drafting your franchise QB. That’s a small price to pay to get what you are looking for… and I think we’ve all seen Anderson is as advertised.

And a difference of a mid 4th rounder to guarantee the cleanest prospect in the draft (anderson) after just drafting your franchise QB. That’s a small price to pay to get what you are looking for… and I think we’ve all seen Anderson is as advertised.

I actually don't think we've seen the best Anderson has to offer. I think once he gets a little more use to the speed of the NFL and how different types of QBs and olines deal with pass rush he will be even better. God I'd love if JJ would come back to work with him and the rest of our line.

I actually don't think we've seen the best Anderson has to offer. I think once he gets a little more use to the speed of the NFL and how different types of QBs and olines deal with pass rush he will be even better. God I'd love if JJ would come back to work with him and the rest of our line.
JJ would tell you that getting better is about putting in the work. That's what Watt did. Who's going to work harder than Will Anderson?

Nobody.

I agree but I still think their are a few tricks and tips he could share. Just stuff he would have learned from playing for years in that position in the NFL.

Eh, I think we forget that this kid is still just a rookie & as polished as he is, he’s still got a ways to go to develop & learning the pro game. I don’t doubt that some JJ tutelage could help him, but a lot of the things you’re talking about is just things you acquire & learn over time as you get experienced in the NFL..

I’m sure JJ was in his bro’s ear constantly in his rookie season but it didn’t REALLY click for him until the offseason after his rookie year when he saw what it was to play in the NFL. So in that regard Lucky’s right…it’s about the work you put in & that’s something we don’t have to worry about with Anderson.

Aside from that, he and JJ just went about things differently as pass rushers. JJ wasn’t a huge “moves” guy..he typically just ran around guys mostly from the interior & was just quick enough to recover and make plays in the backfield. When he was on the outside, he didn’t get home all that much and just typically settle for batting balls down b/c he had a huge wingspan. Anderson is gonna be more in the mold of JJ’s brother.

Back