Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Welcome to Houston Will Anderson

Cmon bro, Greenard has been the best d-line player on the squad with or without the sacks. Now if you want to use his injury as a reason, fine, but when he's played, he's produced. Vs Panthers, he had near misses on top of the ones he got.

I’m not talking about Greenard’s history here. I’m talking about since WAJ has been here. According to the box scores and things that show up there, he ain’t doing much if anything significantly if at all better than WAJ right now…& he’s had 4 years to hone his skills in the pros.

& if u counting near misses, WAJ has a lot of those too…but those don’t show up in box scores. The numbers speak for themselves. Outside of sacks Greenard really ain’t killing it like that. He could maybe get somewhere with significantly more talent around him in the box like Reddick did and put up stellar numbers, but as a standalone guy? he’s Leonard Floyd status…with an injury history Lol.

& “when he’s played?” I was told by TT that your injury history matters when considering the value of a player….at least when it comes to Stingley it does anyway…….Now u saying u wanna excuse Greenard’s injury history and pay him a boatload of money b/c he’s our best pass rusher? I remember having the same convo about Clowney the year Bob shipped him off to Seattle. Were u in that camp that wanted to pay him despite his injury history b/c he was an all pro that 1 year? As much as some of us disliked it then, it turned out to be the right move. Clowney left here and to my knowledge STILL has not had a double digit sack season and that injury history is still in tact.

Last edited:
Are you really comparing the 49ers with the Texans?
george-costanza-was-that-wrong.gif

I’m not talking about Greenard’s history here. I’m talking about since WAJ has been here. According to the box scores and things that show up there, he ain’t doing much if anything significantly if at all better than WAJ right now…& he’s had 4 years to hone his skills in the pros.

& if u counting near misses, WAJ has a lot of those too…but those don’t show up in box scores. The numbers speak for themselves. Outside of sacks Greenard really ain’t killing it like that. He could maybe get somewhere with significantly more talent around him in the box like Reddick did and put up stellar numbers, but as a standalone guy? he’s Leonard Floyd status…with an injury history Lol.

& “when he’s played?” I was told by TT that your injury history matters when considering the value of a player….at least when it comes to Stingley it does anyway…….Now u saying u wanna excuse Greenard’s injury history and pay him a boatload of money b/c he’s our best pass rusher? I remember having the same convo about Clowney the year Bob shipped him off to Seattle. Were u in that camp that wanted to pay him despite his injury history b/c he was an all pro that 1 year? As much as some of us disliked it then, it turned out to be the right move. Clowney left here and to my knowledge STILL has not had a double digit sack season and that injury history is still in tact.
What I said about Clowney is the same thing I'm saying about WAJ. Clowney made impactful plays, but he will never be a top shelf pass rusher. Much like Clowney, WAJ will not be a bust, but you don't draft an edge guy to be a run stopper. You draft am edge guy to stop drives and put the qb on the ground. What I see in WAJ is that lack of twitch to close space to the qb. Its one of those things that either you have it or you don't. Again, that's not to say he can't be a solid to good player.
On to Greenard, at the very least, they have to tag him and yes he is showing up on just the sack totals. You have to either tag him at least once and if he stays healthy through that, then maybe his health problems are behind him. We've seen guys overcome the early injury problems like Fred Taylor. Either way, if someone else comes and pay him, the Texans get a 3rd rd comp pick. Make no mistake, its going to be reliant on WAJ. If Greenard finishes this season with 12-14 sacks and stays healthy, comes back next year on the tag and is on the same arc and WAJ isn't arcing the same, they can't let him walk.

What I said about Clowney is the same thing I'm saying about WAJ. Clowney made impactful plays, but he will never be a top shelf pass rusher. Much like Clowney, WAJ will not be a bust, but you don't draft an edge guy to be a run stopper. You draft am edge guy to stop drives and put the qb on the ground. What I see in WAJ is that lack of twitch to close space to the qb. Its one of those things that either you have it or you don't. Again, that's not to say he can't be a solid to good player.
On to Greenard, at the very least, they have to tag him and yes he is showing up on just the sack totals. You have to either tag him at least once and if he stays healthy through that, then maybe his health problems are behind him. We've seen guys overcome the early injury problems like Fred Taylor. Either way, if someone else comes and pay him, the Texans get a 3rd rd comp pick. Make no mistake, its going to be reliant on WAJ. If Greenard finishes this season with 12-14 sacks and stays healthy, comes back next year on the tag and is on the same arc and WAJ isn't arcing the same, they can't let him walk.
All I know is in the last 3 games neither WA or Greenard weren't able to come up with plays when the game was on the line.

Thibadeaux was a guy I didn't like because of his injury past and it appears he's going to stay healthy.

Who in the upcoming draft has the power and the wiggle to become a top pass rusher?

If I'm going to spend money on an edge I'm going to spend it on a proven guy like Banks or Hunter rather than paying a guy like Greenard and hoping he can stay healthy.

Last edited:

All valid draft evaluations listed WAJ as lacking the bend and quick twitch attributes associated with elite pass rushers. So I had very low expectations of him in that department. He is a high motor, relentless in pursuit pass rusher who will constantly wreck havoc in and around the pocket. Plus outstanding character and teammate. I take that anyway and everyday. Plus he’s durable and less susceptible to injury.

Clowney and Will Jr are apples and oranges because for one thing JDC is clearly an elite athlete even though perhaps not a pure quick twitch guy but he frequently made spectacular athletic plays that Anderson is probably incapable of executing.
I'm hoping Demeco got it right because even though he was not an edge guy but rather an off-ball LB, he played with and against so many different players in his 10 year career and also coached many so he surely would appear to be an ex player & now coach one would think would have the instincts to recognize the difference between a just good vs a truly superior and maybe even elite NFL pass rusher.
Maybe Anderson will be like Terrell Suggs who was actually an ordinary athlete at the NFL combine who turned no bodies head
but went on to have a stellar NFL career as a tremendous pass who accumulated well over 100 sacks in his long career and will surely find himself as a HOF inductee at Canton one day.
So I'm going to try to be patient with Anderson and keep my hope in Demeco's ability to succesfully evaluate college football players for an NFL career.

All valid draft evaluations listed WAJ as lacking the bend and quick twitch attributes associated with elite pass rushers. So I had very low expectations of him in that department. He is a high motor, relentless in pursuit pass rusher who will constantly wreck havoc in and around the pocket. Plus outstanding character and teammate. I take that anyway and everyday. Plus he’s durable and less susceptible to injury.
not at 3 and the extra picks to me. In time,we will see how it pans out.

Clowney and Will Jr are apples and oranges because for one thing JDC is clearly an elite athlete even though perhaps not a pure quick twitch guy but he frequently made spectacular athletic plays that Anderson is probably incapable of executing.
I'm hoping Demeco got it right because even though he was not an edge guy but rather an off-ball LB, he played with and against so many different players in his 10 year career and also coached many so he surely would appear to be an ex player & now coach one would think would have the instincts to recognize the difference between a just good vs a truly superior and maybe even elite NFL pass rusher.
Maybe Anderson will be like Terrell Suggs who was actually an ordinary athlete at the NFL combine who turned no bodies head
but went on to have a stellar NFL career as a tremendous pass who accumulated well over 100 sacks in his long career and will surely find himself as a HOF inductee at Canton one day.
So I'm going to try to be patient with Anderson and keep my hope in Demeco's ability to succesfully evaluate college football players for an NFL career.
Suggs could bend though. People knocked him down because he ran a 4.7 as if that matters and he was from az st

Suggs could bend though. People knocked him down because he ran a 4.7 as if that matters and he was from az st
Jevon Kearse (born September 3, 1976), nicknamed "the Freak", is an American former professional football player who was a defensive end for eleven seasons in the National Football League (NFL) during the late 1990s and 2000s. Kearse played college football for the Florida Gators, earning All-American honors and was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year in 1998.

Kearse was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the first round pick of the 1999 NFL Draft. He also played for the Philadelphia Eagles for four seasons between his two stints with the Titans. During his first five years with the Titans, he was a three-time Pro Bowl selection and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1999. His speed (4.43-second 40-yard dash) and 86-inch (220 cm) wingspan, coupled with a 37-inch (94 cm) vertical leap, greatly impressed coaches and earned him the nickname "The Freak".[1]
So Kearse was the consummate freak who also scored that label, but was pretty damn good.
I dunno why is "The freak" not in the HOF ? Probably because he wasn't a Cowboy, a 49er, a Ram, or you somebody from a
franchise-city with a lot of influence in the national media.
OK sorry, I digress.

Jevon Kearse (born September 3, 1976), nicknamed "the Freak", is an American former professional football player who was a defensive end for eleven seasons in the National Football League (NFL) during the late 1990s and 2000s. Kearse played college football for the Florida Gators, earning All-American honors and was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year in 1998.

Kearse was selected by the Tennessee Titans in the first round pick of the 1999 NFL Draft. He also played for the Philadelphia Eagles for four seasons between his two stints with the Titans. During his first five years with the Titans, he was a three-time Pro Bowl selection and NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year in 1999. His speed (4.43-second 40-yard dash) and 86-inch (220 cm) wingspan, coupled with a 37-inch (94 cm) vertical leap, greatly impressed coaches and earned him the nickname "The Freak".[1]
So Kearse was the consummate freak who also scored that label, but was pretty damn good.
I dunno why is "The freak" not in the HOF ? Probably because he wasn't a Cowboy, a 49er, a Ram, or you somebody from a
franchise-city with a lot of influence in the national media.
OK sorry, I digress.

Kearse was a solid player, not a hall of famer.

I'm going to have to disagree with you there leebigeztx, Suggs didn't have any bend. Maybe we're defining "bend" differently. By bend I mean that ability to get under a tackle & change direction from the hips, then explode to the QB.

Suggs didn't have that.

Yeah I don't see much bend in T-Sizzle in this clip but it's also when he was 35 years old. At the end of the day if WAJ gets Suggs kind of production as a Texan, I'll be extremely happy.

yahoo
The draft capital sacrifice to land Anderson was costly. But through 10 games, he’s validating it. Anderson has produced to the tune of 13 quarterback hits, three sacks, 24 pressures and a blocked kick. And he’s efficient: Anderson entered this week leading all edge rushers with a 40% run-stop win rate, per ESPN.
He ranks third among edge rushers with a 26% pass-rush win rate, trailing only NFL Defensive Player of the Year favorites in the Dallas Cowboys’ Micah Parsons and Cleveland Browns’ Myles Garrett

He played a great game no doubt. All I continue to say is nobody ever needs analytics to tell you the impact a player is having. Did we need analytics for Parsons, Miller, or Smith as rookies? Nope. You can see it without that even from the TV copy. All in all he had a good game. Now Pitre on the other hand, whew

I hear you. And it’s good we have a voice that brings that stuff to attention about WAJr. And like you said he needs to work on other moves than bull rush. A spin move or something.

Heard in the radio today that it’s possible teams will start targeting Pitre because of his lack of coverage skills.

They already -have- been targeting him all season long. Every time Ward goes down… Pitre gets exposed.

Speaking of mismatches… My son was not happy with the Texans’ decision to put Stingley in zone coverage when he’s a cover corner in the late second half of the game. I thought that was interesting.
Can you name the 49ers cbs? They run alot of cover 3 like the legion of boom
They already -have- been targeting him all season long. Every time Ward goes down… Pitre gets exposed.

Speaking of mismatches… My son was not happy with the Texans’ decision to put Stingley in zone coverage when he’s a cover corner in the late second half of the game. I thought that was interesting.

I hear you. And it’s good we have a voice that brings that stuff to attention about WAJr. And like you said he needs to work on other moves than bull rush. A spin move or something.

Heard in the radio today that it’s possible teams will start targeting Pitre because of his lack of coverage skills.
He's missing plays. Not accelerating his feet through tackles. He diving, throwing his body like Kevin Johnson

Last edited:
No I cannot.
Ward and Lenoir.

I'm hoping the front 7 gets a workover this offseason. Add a DT in FA draft another Edge/LB/DT.

Re-sign Rankins/Casman/Schultz/Nelson/Thomas.

Imagine a defense like this,

Verse/Rankins/Wilkins/WA

Harris/Draft Cooper/Cashman

Stingley/Petrie/Ward/Nelson/Thomas

Help me out here. Pro Football Reference has him giving up 3 completions over the last 5 games where he played 100% of the defensive snaps. Granted, one was a 64 yard TD against Cincy, but the others were 16 yards and 9 yards. He wasn't even targeted in the Cards game.

Outside of that one play in Cincy and a pretty bad game against Atlanta, he's given up 4 receptions for 52 yards and no TD's in 8 games.

So where is he being targeted and exposed? Honest question.

Help me out here. Pro Football Reference has him giving up 3 completions over the last 5 games where he played 100% of the defensive snaps. Granted, one was a 64 yard TD against Cincy, but the others were 16 yards and 9 yards. He wasn't even targeted in the Cards game.

Outside of that one play in Cincy and a pretty bad game against Atlanta, he's given up 4 receptions for 52 yards and no TD's in 8 games.

With as little as QB's are throwing at Stingley, they aren't targeting him.

Maybe he’s not being targeted stat wise? I don’t know, I know I’m the last person to ask when it comes to stats… Especially defensive stats. I don’t really understand how they’re recorded sometimes. My assertion comes from the good old fashioned eyeball test.

Maybe he’s not being targeted stat wise? I don’t know, I know I’m the last person to ask when it comes to stats… Especially defensive stats. I don’t really understand how they’re recorded sometimes. My assertion comes from the good old fashioned eyeball test.
I don't see Pitre being targeted that much in the passing game. It's his tackling that has sucked the last couple games

JB… Yes that’s fair. Definitely leads with the shoulder too much like a rookie. I guess I’m seeing him around the ball all the time whether or not if they’re throwing to him. He is a good run stopper if he can wrap up like Ward.

JB… Yes that’s fair. Definitely leads with the shoulder too much like a rookie. I guess I’m seeing him around the ball all the time whether or not if they’re throwing to him. He is a good run stopper if he can wrap up like Ward.

imo that’s the best way/technique to tackle. He just takes poor angles sometimes

He played a great game no doubt. All I continue to say is nobody ever needs analytics to tell you the impact a player is having. Did we need analytics for Parsons, Miller, or Smith as rookies? Nope. You can see it without that even from the TV copy. All in all he had a good game. Now Pitre on the other hand, whew

yeah, Pitre’s been exposed a bit this year in coverage. Some of it is him, some of it is he’s playing a little out of position in Meco’s scheme. He’s a box safety that has been forced to play back more with the injury to Ward. Still like him as part of our future, but he’s gonna need a Micah Hyde type true free safety back there with him to cover up for him at times to maximize his effectiveness.

As for WAJ, been watching him almost exclusively all season on defense, he’s been making plays like he did in the cards game all season for the Texans, it’s just this game a few of them showed up in the box score is all.

I spoke to this a few posts upthread, but what I think was going on with him early in the season is him being such a high motor guy, Meco was playing him too many snaps & he was just gassed late in games ..which in turn left him not as effective late;

These last few games however, I’ve noticed Sanders and another guy spelling him & Greenard a little more & it has resulted in him & the pass rush being a little fresher down the stretch when the defense & pass rush has had to step up & get critical stops…which they have.

But too, this is also that time of the year. We’re headed into week 12, college football season would be over or nearly over for most of these rookies & a lot of them either hit a wall in the NFL or they begin to separate themselves as true studs in development. This is about when JJ started putting it together his rookie year as well.

Last edited:
Back