Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Vonta Leach Signs Giants Offer Sheet - Texans Match

Are you talkinga bout Brian Leonard ?

He started as a running back but moved to fullback to make room for Ray Rice...

He is losing weight because he wants NFL people to think of him as a running back...

Hmm...thought it was the other way around. I thought he was Rutgers' main back.

I think it'd be a shame for him to gear up for the draft as a tailback. The NFL FB, today, needs to be able to run in addition to block. I think he fits that description well. He looks like a certain Cowboys FB from awhile back: Good hands, good footwork, knows where to be/when to be there, etc. etc.

It'll be interesting to see him next year.

Now back to topic: Seems like the board is split on matching the NYG offer. I lean towards keeping Vonta.

point blank, vonta leach is 10 times the player norris is. i'm rarely this high on players (especially without years of proving themselves), but vonta leach, charles spencer, and demeco ryans are special. i'm big on "unseen" players though such as fullbacks, kickers, O-linemen, etc. it's highly unlikely we'll draft a player of leach's caliber, and with our system, fullback is a priority. plus, we need these draft picks to address areas we could improve upon, bringing leach back gives us more flexibility. it's not a plug & play, as obvious with cook's dramatic failure. speaking of which, i questioned it then, and get the "i told you so" now ... cook isnt what this team wants. keep me & coachdent (who has some incredible breakdowns of the position during the season, i encourage all in this debate to go back and read his posts during the season) from having a stroke ... release cook and sign leach to whatever he wants.

vonta didnt miss a pass thrown his direction (or bobble it 6 times like cook on every pass), no fumbles, and you'd be hard pressed to find him missing a blocking assignment. he lead dayne to both of their free agencies and by the reports given, showed incredible knowledge and aggression in only 4 games. he's at a prime age with a year of experience in the system and comes at a relatively low cost considering the positional importance to the offensive system. with sherman back in the fold, we're not looking for tony richardson, which leach isnt ... he's mack strong, a bull-headed lead blocker who can sneak into the flats at the goal line.

IF we dont resign leach, we need to be prepared to pay more and lose a 5th rounder to sign kyle johnson from the broncos. this wouldnt hurt my feelings in the least because kyle johnson's more polished than leach and, along with being the same age, is just as vicious as leach as a lead blocker, but for the cost we're better off sticking with leach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans34Life
What the hell kind of upgrade is he? We are definitely grasping at straws for the RB position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02
Whatever trash the Broncos or GB rid themselves of, we pick it up like its going out of style

For everyone that said comments like this, start eating crow. Now that Leach has proven him self could we please give him his money and get on with a new topic. Or are we just going to continue with the same Texans' curse: Try to find a cheap way out and end up paying for it in the long run!!!

We got him cheap for one year, consider that a bargin.

Texans | Leach's agent expects answer by Friday
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:43:24 -0700

Arthur Staple, of Newsday, reports the agent of restricted free-agent Vonta Leach (Texans) expects the Houston Texans to decide by Friday whether to match the offer Leach signed with the New York Giants.

I haven't read through this thread so I don't know if this has been answered already, but what compensation do we get if the Texans don't match the Giants offer?

the funny thing is this deal for leach is gonna get drug out all the way til friday and i have a feeling it's gonna end with us losing vonta leach...just a sneaky bad feeling about it...hope i'm wrong

With all the Hoopla over Schaub, is Leach going to be over looked? His contract grace period is almost over and we are going to lose out. I am Happy that we replaced Carr but if we don't get good people in front to block we are going to turn Schaub into another broke down CARR!!!!!!!! :Tumblewee

With all the Hoopla over Schaub, is Leach going to be over looked? His contract grace period is almost over and we are going to lose out. I am Happy that we replaced Carr but if we don't get good people in front to block we are going to turn Schaub into another broke down CARR!!!!!!!! :Tumblewee

I have a gut feeling that we will sign Vonta and this is the reason why I truely believe that. I don't think they are overlooking Leach at all. The Trade actually plays a major part in the Leach signing. Little did I know that with the Trade and the release of Carr, the Texans stand to save in the excess of 8 million under the cap this year. Moving back 2 spots saved the Texans 2 million, giving up the second round pick saved another 4 million and when they release Carr if they aren’t able to trade him, only 2 million of his contract would count against the cap this year. That’s the breakdown. Also, Schaubb press conference is today giving them up until tonight and tomorrow to decide. Just how I see it. :wild:

Texans | Leach's agent expects answer by Friday
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 14:43:24 -0700

Arthur Staple, of Newsday, reports the agent of restricted free-agent Vonta Leach (Texans) expects the Houston Texans to decide by Friday whether to match the offer Leach signed with the New York Giants.

It's real simple. JUST DO IT NOW!!! :twocents:

I doubt Smith will forget Leach's offer sheet sitting on his desk because we have a new QB.

I'm a little shocked at all the drum beating that Leach has stirred up on this board. I like Leach, but it needs to be remembered that he is a FB that was plucked off the street. I would've liked to have Leach back, but I think the contract he was offered by the Giants seems pretty high, and I wouldn't exactly say he is irreplaceable. I don't recall near this amount of uproar when Moran Norris was allowed to walk and the man was simply a battering ram as a lead blocker. Just look what he did for Gore last year in San Fran.

I'm a little shocked at all the drum beating that Leach has stirred up on this board. I like Leach, but it needs to be remembered that he is a FB that was plucked off the street. I would've liked to have Leach back, but I think the contract he was offered by the Giants seems pretty high, and I wouldn't exactly say he is irreplaceable. I don't recall near this amount of uproar when Moran Norris was allowed to walk and the man was simply a battering ram as a lead blocker. Just look what he did for Gore last year in San Fran.

Good point but hind sight is 20/20. We all saw what not having a great FB could not do with our running game. In comes Leach and all of a sudden the running games takes off, that is why so many people are clammering for Leach to be resigned. They, like myself, do not want to try and pluck another guy off the streets. Instead, wanting to keep what worked last year versus hoping to find something that works next year. It is not very hard to figure that out.

I'm a little shocked at all the drum beating that Leach has stirred up on this board. I like Leach, but it needs to be remembered that he is a FB that was plucked off the street.

First of all he's not a dog, no one "plucked him off the streets". If that was the case then I'm waiting to get "plucked off the street" and get offerd a contract. And QB is not the only position on the field. All the positions matter, if they didn't it wouldn't be one.

Yes, he was cut but he was givin another chance by the Texans and proved himself. He deserves him money (even if it is from the Gaints). What does the Texans want from him, to lay down and all but die for the team. Carr did that and you see where he ended up..............PUT BACK ON THE STREET.

First of all he's not a dog, no one "plucked him off the streets". If that was the case then I'm waiting to get "plucked off the street" and get offerd a contract. And QB is not the only position on the field. All the positions matter, if they didn't it wouldn't be one.

Yes, he was cut but he was givin another chance by the Texans and proved himself. He deserves him money (even if it is from the Gaints). What does the Texans want from him, to lay down and all but die for the team. Carr did that and you see where he ended up..............PUT BACK ON THE STREET.

Amazing that QB was never mentioned in my post or even any post I have made lately. And yes, he was "plucked off the street". He was cut by the Saints and picked up mid-season as a street FA by the Texans. FB is a position that matters, but is hardly one of the most important positions on the field. Even good college FBs are typically not selected in the draft until the second day and many go undrafted all together. What he deserves is fair market value for his position and what the Giants are offering is far above this. If we match the Giants offer I will be OK with that, as I was happy with what he was able to provide last season. However, I think they may be able to find similar production elsewhere for a much lower price.

If we match the Giants offer I will be OK with that, as I was happy with what he was able to provide last season. However, I think they may be able to find similar production elsewhere for a much lower price.

Very seldomly do you find a bargian, which we found one last year. But remember in most instances, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!!

FB salaries for 2006 season (from FoxSports):

Lorenzo Neal (Chargers) - $1.8 mil
Mike Alstott (Bucs) - $1.5 mil
Tony Richardson (Vikings) - $1.3 mil
William Henderson (Packers) - $1.1 mil
Moran Norris (49ers) - $1.1 mil
Mack Strong (Seahawks) - $.77 mil
Dan Kreider (Steelers) - $.77 mil
Heath Evans (Patriots) - $.53 mil

These are some of the best FBs in the league and as such are some of the highest paid at their position. From reports the contract signed by Leach is 4 years for $7 million with escalators up to $8.5 million. That averages to $1.75-$2.1 million over the 4 years. If the contract is backloaded so that Leach would only be making around $1.0 million or so on average for the first 3 years, then I would be completely behind the Texans matching the offer since it would fall in line with the current market value for the position (still slightly high). It would also allow the contract to be lengthened and restructured before the 4th year when the heaviest part of the contract would be due. However, I have seen no reports describing the structure of the contract, so as it stands, it seems to be a high price to pay.

These are some of the best FBs in the league and as such are some of the highest paid at their position. From reports the contract signed by Leach is 4 years for $7 million with escalators up to $8.5 million. That averages to $1.75-$2.1 million over the 4 years. If the contract is backloaded so that Leach would only be making around $1.0 million or so on average for the first 3 years, then I would be completely behind the Texans matching the offer since it would fall in line with the current market value for the position (still slightly high). It would also allow the contract to be lengthened and restructured before the 4th year when the heaviest part of the contract would be due. However, I have seen no reports describing the structure of the contract, so as it stands, it seems to be a high price to pay.

True but I was under the perception that only 1.7 was guaranteed. Either way, it is alittle high but bad teams have to pay more.

Very seldomly do you find a bargian, which we found one last year. But remember in most instances, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!!

Exactly. Just because Smith pulled a great blocking fullback in, there's no guarantee that he'll do it again.

We need to hold on to quality, not let it go and try to find more quality.

That said, the price tag IS a little high.

true but vonta leach is also younger than all of those guys

I don't think we have the necessary cap space to match this offer.

Le'Ron McClain (FB from Alabama) should be our 6th round pick. Excellent lead blocker in the SEC.

As far as I'm concerned, he played better last year (in the games he played) than some of the hero's on the team. The guy is a beast. and unlike our other fullback, he can catch difficult throws and hold on to the ball. We should not let him slip away.

the decision is supposed to happen sometime today...probably tonight is when i'm expecting to hear smith's presser on it...should be interesting...keeping my fingers crossed that they're keeping him

Intresting blog/article by JM in the chron this morning. He discussed him being flamed for when he was wrong but he also pointed out some of his "rights" as well. One thing he mentioned is that Smith would be/is working on Leach's contract currently. Sorry don't have the link... should be able to find it on their home page though.

If the Texans are serious about winning I don't see how they can let Leach slip away. He is definitely better than our other choice( Cook ). With Leach and Green in the backfield I think we will have a pretty good blitz pickup, not to mention the 2 coming out on routes.

I agree. If they are serious about winning, why wouldn't they keep him.

Just counting down the time untile we know.......:whistle:

True but I was under the perception that only 1.7 was guaranteed. Either way, it is alittle high but bad teams have to pay more.

I just read this also. 1.7 guaranteed isn't too much, so I expect Smith will probably match the offer and I will be happy with that. Like I said, I like Leach, I just hadn't heard enough specifics regarding the contract structure to say that it would be worth it. This deal would in no way hurt our long term cap situation, so I'm all for it.

I just read this also. 1.7 guaranteed isn't too much, so I expect Smith will probably match the offer and I will be happy with that. Like I said, I like Leach, I just hadn't heard enough specifics regarding the contract structure to say that it would be worth it. This deal would in no way hurt our long term cap situation, so I'm all for it.

He's probably just letting the giants hang for giggles and grins.

Dear Mr. Smith,

Please don't match the offer

Signed,

Sanity

Quoted For Truth!

He's a friggin' fullback people. You know who Dallas' current FB is...Oliver Hoyt who played LB in college. My point is that the cap space is more vaulable the a FB, and that servicable FBs can be found in lots of different places. Save the money and use it in next years FA market (maybe then we won't hear so much whinning about not signing anybody).

I was agreeing. :twocents:

UHHEAVEN,

Next time you decide to give someone negative rep for stating their opinion, try and get into the positives first so you can actually take some points away instead of just wasting cyber space.

Just a suggestion.

edit: Oh, and in case you didn't know....We can now see who leaves rep even if you don't sign your name.

UHHEAVEN,

Next time you decide to give negative rep for stating my opinion, try and get into the positives first so you can actually take some points away instead of wasting cyber space.

Just a suggestion.

edit: Just in case you didn't know....We can now see who leaves rep even if you don't sign your name.

Or atleast leave your name or a comment.

Your run of the mill FB is a decent blocker. Leach appears to be a good blocker, runner, and short pass receiver. As such, the opposing defense has to account for him as a ball carrier. I think you really have to give him a hard look before you let him get away.

UHHEAVEN,

Next time you decide to give someone negative rep for stating their opinion, try and get into the positives first so you can actually take some points away instead of just wasting cyber space.

Just a suggestion.

edit: Oh, and in case you didn't know....We can now see who leaves rep even if you don't sign your name.

Wasn't trying to hide. Stick to the topic!!!

Back