Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Vonta Leach Signs Giants Offer Sheet - Texans Match

VONTAFUL!
VONTAFUL!
VONTAFUL!

The roses smell sweeter. The sky looks prettier! Isn't life grand?!

NOW... we have an issue....

Now we can make the cut that would make my offseason very happy. You see, we are at a point now where we have taken the hachett to Carr, to Williams, to Moulds, to Sanders, to Peek....but there is one guy left.

If you've ever seen the movie "The Blair Witch Project", there he is standing in the corner facing the wall...
710r.jpg

Jamel Cook. He's been hearing the screams. He's understood exactly what has been happening. All of those accountable for our failures are being dealt with....and now my friend...it is time. It is your time!

Kubes... offer him up the cigarette and let's do this. I will volunteer to be front and center to make this happen. I want that Jamel turkey Cooked!

alright, now i'm really confused... why did they retract the article? 99.9% of the time, the texans official site is dead on...

The great news just keeps on coming. The running game with a good lead blocker and a real threat at both the tailback and QB positions is going to be great. :snobord: :yahoo:

I am waiting for the grinch to pinch me, and I wake up and find this has all been a dream. :wild:

I just calculated it, and according to my calculations we are paying him to infinity per carry based on his zero nfl carries. :confused:

How hard could negotiating a freaking match be? either they match the deal or not, right? or is there wiggle room on the terms?

They could have discovered a "poison pill" when going over the deal and delayed everything.

Gawd, I hope not. That poison pill provision nearly made me ill last year.

Does anyone know if the terms can be a little different with that? Like the way they signed Burleson last year it was if he played something like 3 or more games in Minnesota his contract would be guaranteed, could Minny have changed it to Washington? Because it's basically the same provision, just different states.

espn just posted the resigning of leach. it may just be as reported by the texans' webpage. hopefully it is a done deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2809981

This is what happened.

There was a press release saying Leach was re-signed.

Then the press release was recalled with no reason given.

I am guessing this is because the Texans are verrrry careful about announcing things until all the i's are dotted and t's are crossed. If that doesn't happen, things don't get announced. That's why official announcements often happen after everyone already knows about them.

As far as I know, the retraction of the retraction has not happened yet.

this is great...we got our fullback back and our running game is gonna be solid this year...now it's time to focus on the draft

dont toy with my emotions like this! we're not going to match, we match, wait we might not have ... give the man what he wants. i couldnt be higher on leach as a critical part of our offense and with dayne & green behind him, we'll have solidified our running game IMO. the reason for the jump in price for fullbacks is because of a major emergance in talent on winning teams. dan kreider, mack strong, lorenzo neil, tony richardson, kyle johnson, etc. "it's just a fullback" doesnt apply to today's game, especially with sherman & kubiak. teams are taking notice of others' successes and we all know it's a copy cat league ... same as the tight end spike over the past few years.

Where did anyone get confirmation? I've been scouring the internet and cannot find anything.

Yes, thanks for the link. Now I can breathe a little easier. One less position to worry about.

Where did anyone get confirmation? I've been scouring the internet and cannot find anything.

No offense meant whiskeyrbl, but that is too funny.

The post before your says it's on ESPN's front page, and the very next post say you've been scouring the internet and can't find it! Classic!

Again, no offense meant, it's just a little funny to me...

No offense meant whiskeyrbl, but that is too funny.

The post before your says it's on ESPN's front page, and the very next post say you've been scouring the internet and can't find it! Classic!

Again, no offense meant, it's just a little funny to me...

It was early and had a few to many last night. A complete oversight, but no offense taken woulda said the same thing LOL.

this is good...now our rushing attack is complete...we can release jameel cook after june 1st...get his contract off the books...now let's focus back onto the defense and get CB, FS, DE, and DT fixed

You gotta find a way to keep the guys who get the job done. Vonta is one of those guys. Looks like the Texans are serious about turning this thing around. Cheers!

Texans | Leach update
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 06:09:56 -0700

Updating previous items, John McClain, of the Houston Chronicle, reports the Houston Texans will match the offer sheet given to restricted free agent FB Vonta Leach by the New York Giants after the team freed up $3.2 million by releasing RB Domanick Williams (knee).

this is good...now our rushing attack is complete...we can release jameel cook after june 1st...get his contract off the books...now let's focus back onto the defense and get CB, FS, DE, and DT fixed

And don't forget a #2 wideout as well.

i'm not forgetting about it...i just have more faith in andre to get the job done than i do in robinson...andre's been to the pro bowl...d-rob hasn't...plus i'd say walter is more capable of being a #2 guy than faggins is

Valleytexfan- RIGHT ON! Man, I wish someday we'll overtake the Cowboys fanbase here in da RGV.:) I can't wait for the season to start!:elmo:
It's really nice to have you as Texan fans, Valleytexfan and phantom17. I hope the Texans get better so that we can get a bunch more from the valley!:redtowel:

I haven't read the entire thread so I don't know if this has been posted already.

From profootballtalk.com

Just the last sentence, you can CLIK to read the entire article.

" So, at the end of the day, the Giants merely provided free contract negotiation services to the Texans."

:coffee:

i'm not forgetting about it...i just have more faith in andre to get the job done than i do in robinson...andre's been to the pro bowl...d-rob hasn't...plus i'd say walter is more capable of being a #2 guy than faggins is

Point taken. We shall see. I don't know which position in this years draft would be deeper, CB/FS or WR. Either way, one of those two postions would be my first pick in the first round.

This is great news. Leach is the prime example of Smith's ability to assess talent. He was doing Jameel Cook's job last year for about 20% of the money. Good for him. I hope he can do it again next year.

What are they going to do with Cook? That's a lot of money for two fullbacks.

First... we need to think about what really happened. Vonta Leach, the 4 year vet was released 2 weeks into the season. I don't watch the GB packers fullbacks on a regular basis, but I have to imagine, it was because he wasn't getting the job done. Maybe he wasn't picking up on the ZBS they were trying to install in GB. So we signed him to play in our ZBS. He got a few snaps early in the season, but didn't look to be a better FB than Jameel Cook, who remained our starter.

Vonta didn't get serious time, until Cook got roughed up. Then, it looked like he decided to play football.

I don't think I noticed Vonta Leach, until that acrobatic catch, and YAC in the Tennessee game. Then he finished the rest of the year pretty strong. IT looked like he finally got it. But whether the "it" we are talking about is our ZB, WCO... or the fact that he was 4 weeks from being unemployed is yet to be seen.

Letting Vonta Leech go with a minimum tender was a bad gamble that didn't work. We should've folded our hand when the Giants offered him over $1million a year.

I'm having to guess our coaches feel he is worth the money, and not that he feared the unemployment line.

First... we need to think about what really happened. Vonta Leach, the 4 year vet was released 2 weeks into the season. I don't watch the GB packers fullbacks on a regular basis, but I have to imagine, it was because he wasn't getting the job done. Maybe he wasn't picking up on the ZBS they were trying to install in GB. So we signed him to play in our ZBS. He got a few snaps early in the season, but didn't look to be a better FB than Jameel Cook, who remained our starter.

Vonta didn't get serious time, until Cook got roughed up. Then, it looked like he decided to play football.

I don't think I noticed Vonta Leach, until that acrobatic catch, and YAC in the Tennessee game. Then he finished the rest of the year pretty strong. IT looked like he finally got it. But whether the "it" we are talking about is our ZB, WCO... or the fact that he was 4 weeks from being unemployed is yet to be seen.

Letting Vonta Leech go with a minimum tender was a bad gamble that didn't work. We should've folded our hand when the Giants offered him over $1million a year.

I'm having to guess our coaches feel he is worth the money, and not that he feared the unemployment line.

Yeah well all of these things, you not seeing tallent, guessing on what someone else was thinking in a front office you have no idea what their thought process was, doesn't surprise me. Leech was the rushing attack in '06. With out the iso's they were a ship without a rudder. Specualting on whether the Texans just over paid for the only all star at the end of season on the offensive side of the ball only marked you for what you are.

Back