Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Trade: Samkon Gado for Vernand Morency

Vernand had a decent game, 26 car. 99 yards

These numbers would have been the best for a Texan thus far

Does anyone think that the Gado trade was a bad deal?

I trusted Kubes at the time...But right about now Im wishing I had a lil Morency in my life...

true that, especially with Wali being on the inactive list

I thought he was traded b/c they had silmilar running styles and we needed a bruser, now we have none that fit Morncy's style of running

This doesn't surprise me. Remember how he came out a ball of fire when he finally got his turn in game 2. If he maintains his enthusiasm and production after his first week indignation/chip on shoulder then I will be surprised.

like in the other thread, i believe that we are having problems with the run blocking - i doubt morency would be able to produce behind this line right now.

like in the other thread, i believe that we are having problems with the run blocking - i doubt morency would be able to produce behind this line right now.

Well Greenbay has three new interior lineman...GCG....and the two gaurds are rookies...They played the same philly D we played minus Kearse....That my friend..is debatable....

I guess that you also forgot to mention that last night he had a fumble and tipped a pass intended to him which resulted in a touchdown

Maybe Morency couldn't have produced those same number for the Texans.

But it seems Green Bay got the better end of the deal thus far. They played him a lot even though he did make a few mistakes.

Has Gato played that much to even make mistakes?

I said it was a horrible trade the day it happened and after last night I think it's probably Kubiak's worst move to date.

Um, Morency played the exact same D, and did much worse with us. Clearly he has either
A) received better coaching
B) responded to the trade he didn't like
C) GB has a better OL

before we can even begin to compare, we have to get a game where we can give a runningback 26 carries.....

Well Greenbay has three new interior lineman...GCG....and the two gaurds are rookies...They played the same philly D we played minus Kearse....That my friend..is debatable....

Wasn't Morency on our team when we played Philly?? How'd that go??

Um, Morency played the exact same D, and did much worse with us. Clearly he has either
C) GB has a better OL

Or when people play greenbay, they don't plan for the running game......

before we can even begin to compare, we have to get a game where we can give a runningback 26 carries.....

Wasn't Morency on our team when we played Philly?? How'd that go??

Or when people play greenbay, they don't plan for the running game......

Dayne and Gado combined for 28 carries against Miami and racked up a total of 67 yards.

Morency had 5 carries against Philly for 13 yards. As far as teams not planning for the run when playing Green Bay I doubt that, especially when Ahman Green is healthy.

But Ahman Green wasn't healthy..... that's the only reason Vernand got 28 carries(or what ever). & while most teams don't ignore the running game, they usually focus on #4.

C) GB has a better OL

Man, that was garbage time when he had very easy running lanes to exploit. He had one, maybe two 10-yd. runs in garbage time which looked nice, but he wasn't exactly creating anything for himself to justify us keeping him for what we had initially thought was going to be game-breaking ability.

I think Philly was in a don't-get-hurt mode when you're up 326-9. Why waste the energy and risk potential injury to tackle a minor league baseball player who is trying to impersonate an NFL RB?

Morency fumbled the ball (shocker) and he still danced too much instead of trying to find the right lane to exlpoit. I watched closely, and there were times when he couldn't get his feet underneath him in enough time to make the cut...same thing he did with us...and he fell down or allowed the defense to react and catch him before he could really bust a big run.

I truly rooted for him on MNF, even though my comments above may seem to prove otherwise, but after a few plays on MNF...I saw why we traded him.

Man, that was garbage time when he had very easy running lanes to exploit. He had one, maybe two 10-yd. runs in garbage time which looked nice, but he wasn't exactly creating anything for himself to justify us keeping him for what we had initially thought was going to be game-breaking ability.

I think Philly was in a don't-get-hurt mode when you're up 326-9. Why waste the energy and risk potential injury to tackle a minor league baseball player who is trying to impersonate an NFL RB?

Morency fumbled the ball (shocker) and he still danced too much instead of trying to find the right lane to exlpoit. I watched closely, and there were times when he couldn't get his feet underneath him in enough time to make the cut...same thing he did with us...and he fell down or allowed the defense to react and catch him before he could really bust a big run.

I truly rooted for him on MNF, even though my comments above may seem to prove otherwise, but after a few plays on MNF...I saw why we traded him.

Either you watched a different game or didn't watch the entire game. Morency looked better last night than anything I have seen from our running game and he also made a few catches out of the backfield as well, one I remember was a nice over the shoulder one handed catch IIRC.

wtf? No kidding Einstein.....that really wasn't what I was talking about...this board is really kind of dysfunctional lately. All this topic shifting stuff is just goofy.

:challenge

cool your jets hotrod......... I was being sarcastic..... that was the kind of crap I always got when I'd point to DD's ability to produce behind a line DavidCarr couldn't.

so what does that have to do with the Packers losing their quality linemen and having to go with lesser players?

LOL I was thinking the same thing, I am literally speechless...

& what do you mean?? this falls right in line to what you've been saying. You are one of the guys who has been "schooling" me on the difference between run blocking & pass blocking.

You're going on about how Vernand had one good day in Greenbay, against a team he couldn't stay on his feet against here in Houston.

Someone says they have a better OLine, Vinny says they have a crap Oline, I use your runblocking line,

& I'm changing the subject?? WTF is right.

C) GB has a better OL

I think we all know the answer is C.

Green Bay has a crap O line....one of the many reasons they are struggling.

Pass blocking & run blocking are two totally different things.:ok:

wtf? No kidding Einstein.....that really wasn't what I was talking about...this board is really kind of dysfunctional lately. All this topic shifting stuff is just goofy.

:challenge

so what does that have to do with the Packers losing their quality linemen and having to go with lesser players?

When did we start talking about the Packers attrition?? this whole thread is about Morency & Gado...... most recently about the production Morency was able to get in GreenBay vs his production here against the same team only three weeks apart.

& what do you mean?? this falls right in line to what you've been saying. You are one of the guys who has been "schooling" me on the difference between run blocking & pass blocking.

You're going on about how Vernand had one good day in Greenbay, against a team he couldn't stay on his feet against here in Houston.

Someone says they have a better OLine, Vinny says they have a crap Oline, I use your runblocking line,

& I'm changing the subject?? WTF is right.

Chill. I haven't tried to school anyone on anything. For whatever reason Morency had a decent game against Philly behind a worse offensive line in Green Bay than ours. He only had 5 carries against Philly with us. People who make sarcastic remarks should use the sarcasm smiley, it's hard to detect sarcasm from a general statement on a messageboard.

When did we start talking about the Packers attrition?? this whole thread is about Morency & Gado...... most recently about the production Morency was able to get in GreenBay vs his production here against the same team only three weeks apart.
Morency and his production has something to do with his blocking. Just like any other back. Please....just pretend I didn't start talking to you....I can't take exchanging posts with you sometimes. I have to check myself...I get too frustrated.

To be honest, I dont know how Morency didnt stay on this team. I know he wanted another pounder to go with his "smallish" backs.

Maybe he is looking into next year with a healthy DomDavis. That would give him...

Domanick Davis
Wali Lundy
Ron Dayne
Samkon Gado

I said it then, and I WILL SAY IT NOW!

HORRIBLE TRADE! We now have 3 Running backs that are basically the same and you TRADE AWAY YOUR GUY WITH THE BURST OF SPEED?

BTW I was at the Redskins game, Gado is FREAKING fat (looked like me in pads and that is not good).

To be honest, I dont know how Morency didnt stay on this team. I know he wanted another pounder to go with his "smallish" backs.

Maybe he is looking into next year with a healthy DomDavis. That would give him...

Domanick Davis
Wali Lundy
Ron Dayne
Samkon Gado
no team can rely on a "healthy Dom Davis"....he has never been healthy and he has gotten worse each year. I'd be SHOCKED if we didn't address the RB in FA or the draft.

no team can rely on a "healthy Dom Davis"....he has never been healthy and he has gotten worse each year. I'd be SHOCKED if we didn't address the RB in FA or the draft.
Michael "the burner" Turner is a FA this year . . .

Michael "the burner" Turner is a FA this year . . .

Well we signed Dayne and traded for Gado, I am scared to see who is next. I'd like to see Chris Taylor get a chance. I can't figure out why we are only carrying 2 active RB's on the roster right now.

He will be an RFA and they will likely tender him at the high level which carries a 1st and 3rd compensation. Something less might be worked out but it won't be cheap.
Nevermind the idea then, thats too costly. I just want someone other than Ron Dayne, it kills me seeing him just run straight into the pile lunging forward. Gado is a hardworker and looks real good in pass pro, just needs time. I say we draft someone day 1 if we cant get Turner or theres no better option at RB. Possibly Ahman Green? Just throwing ideas out there . . .

Nevermind the idea then, thats too costly. I just want someone other than Ron Dayne, it kills me seeing him just run straight into the pile lunging forward. Gado is a hardworker and looks real good in pass pro, just needs time. I say we draft someone day 1 if we cant get Turner or theres no better option at RB. Possibly Ahman Green? Just throwing ideas out there . . .

Yeah RB and DB should be our top priority right now and in the near future. I'm not getting my hopes up on Davis returning and even if he does, he won't be able to carry the load.

Davis is done. Won't play till knee feels better, knee won't ever feel like it used to, refuses to have it worked on again.

GB cut a 1st round DB today. We'll be better when Faggins gets back, but I'm more concerned about Brown than the CB's

I'll hate it if I'm right, but I think DD is gone from the NFL next season :(

Early traft or expensive FA pickup... or our other current RB's might pick it up and deliver the goods.

Yes, but it is still better than the Texans's O line. That is why I said C. I wasn't indicating that Green Bay has a "good" O line, only that it is better than Houston's.

Thats arguable...They have two rookies starting at gaurd...and a second year center I believe...1st year starting for all three...

How many Sacks or QB pressures or negative rushes has the GB O-line given up this year? Is it more or less than the Houston O-line has given up?

That is totally irrelevant...Im not going to even look that up.....Once again...Stats don't tell the whole story....If you want to beleive that 2 rookies, and a second yr center are better than what we have ....go ahead....

First of all, there is no way Morency is Faster than Gado...

For those of you who missed the Detroit game last year, Gado's 64 yard td run where he outran the two safeties that had the angle pretty much proved his legit 4.3.

Morency may have more shake and bake than Gado, but not more speed.

The line play has been incredibly terrible every time Gado has gotten the slightest chance of a touch.

Again, mark my words....you guys will be singing Gado's praises before this is over. The same progression happened last year in Green Bay....every one hated him at first, then when he got into some rhythm and got some carries he was golden.

And don't tell me he got his chance vs. Miami. He played the second series, which ended abruptly with the weird turnover/strip play, and on his second, the team's fourth series...they went incomplete, incomplete, third and long....

Gado scores on the long run by dayne that got called back for holding...

Again, bookmark this thread....and when Gado rushes for 150 yards vs either Dallas or Tennessee come back and post comments here.

[[Gary Kubiak]];461810 said:
I am i'll! Kubes has his vision of a RB. Capers and Kubes did not think Morency had what it takes.

I always thought Morency had average vision, but tremendous burst.

I hope the guy does well in Green Bay. If he wasn't what Kubiak wanted, I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY hope his idea of a running back shows up very soon.

First of all, there is no way Morency is Faster than Gado...

For those of you who missed the Detroit game last year, Gado's 64 yard td run where he outran the two safeties that had the angle pretty much proved his legit 4.3.

Morency may have more shake and bake than Gado, but not more speed.

The line play has been incredibly terrible every time Gado has gotten the slightest chance of a touch.

Again, mark my words....you guys will be singing Gado's praises before this is over. The same progression happened last year in Green Bay....every one hated him at first, then when he got into some rhythm and got some carries he was golden.

And don't tell me he got his chance vs. Miami. He played the second series, which ended abruptly with the weird turnover/strip play, and on his second, the team's fourth series...they went incomplete, incomplete, third and long....

Gado scores on the long run by dayne that got called back for holding...

Again, bookmark this thread....and when Gado rushes for 150 yards vs either Dallas or Tennessee come back and post comments here.

The difference in Morency's speed and Gado's speed is a small fraction......Morency also makes people miss, that is way more important than a hair of a 40 time. Making people miss is the name of the game for runningbacks. Walter Payton wasn't that big and he wasn't very fast, he made people miss, ran hard and went on to set a record that no one though would be broken. E. Smith wasn't that big and he didn't have world class speed, but he made people miss and went on to break that unbreakable record. 40 times are the most overrated measurable in sports.

Running the ball is about elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

Morency has more elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

DD had those qualities, thats the reason why he was so successful here, especially for a 4th rounder.

The difference in Morency's speed and Gado's speed is a small fraction......Morency also makes people miss, that is way more important than a hair of a 40 time. Making people miss is the name of the game for runningbacks. Walter Payton wasn't that big and he wasn't very fast, he made people miss, ran hard and went on to set a record that no one though would be broken. E. Smith wasn't that big and he didn't have world class speed, but he made people miss and went on to break that unbreakable record. 40 times are the most overrated measurable in sports.

Running the ball is about elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

Morency has more elusiveness, quickness, and burst.

DD had those qualities, thats the reason why he was so successful here, especially for a 4th rounder.

There are actually several kinds of runningbacks..... depending on your system, & personnell, those other kinds may prove to be more productive. There was some guy named JohnRiggins(I believe) who wasn't very elusive, but broke records set by GayleSayers.

We also have a brutish type back who breaks tackles that morency would have to avoid, or succomb to. He also holds the career NCAAF rushing record.

There are actually several kinds of runningbacks..... depending on your system, & personnell, those other kinds may prove to be more productive. There was some guy named JohnRiggins(I believe) who wasn't very elusive, but broke records set by GayleSayers.

We also have a brutish type back who breaks tackles that morency would have to avoid, or succomb to. He also holds the career NCAAF rushing record.

Riggins was a powerback. He ran over people. Gibbs loved him because he forced the oppisition to stack the box, then he was able to run his smurfs all over the field.

I don't see anybody on our team running people over right now.

I like Gado and hope he does well, he's a Texan now, I just don't buy into the theory that just because he has more top end speed than Morency that he's the better back.

Go to www.packers.com and watch the highlights from the oh-so talked about 100 yard game and watch for the highlights of Morency. You'll see only one play that made the highlight reel....a fumble inside his own five.

I am telling you...based on last year's performances for the Packers, NOT, 40 times, Gado has proven he is a bona-fide every down back in the NFL.

And its not all about elusiveness. The way the eagles and falcons ration their carries to their 'elusive' 180-pound tailbacks is really the reason they keep coming up short in the playoffs.

The NFL running back is more about what you do with your 19th carry through your 27th carry. IF a team is good enough in the box to warrant you getting 20 carries....what kind of physical shape is your body in to deliver the type of performance you delivered in the first quarter?

That is where Gado will shine. There is not a player in the NFL in better physical shape than this kid. His first real game for the Pack he had 26 carries versus the Steelers and got physically pounded. He got better as the game wore on.

The DB's don't want to tackle this guy. Try and find the eagles highlights from last year's game versus the packers...and watch Dawkins (all-pro Dawkins) dive at his feet ... No one wants to tackle the guy once he has a head of steam.

The difference between Dayne and Gado is they both instill fear in the would be tackler, but Dayne seeks out that tackler and tries to run him over...Gado just outruns him and if he gets in the way he makes him pay.

Seriously, before you act like Morency is the better back you need to see film on last year's Falcon, Lions, Steelers, and Eagles games.

Who had the most rushing yards versus the steelers last year in a single game???

GADO~!

Noah Herron comes off the bench today for the Packers and rushes for 100 yards. Evidently, the Packers didn't feel like Morency's fumble in the first quarter was something they were willing to tolerate...and actually they were.

It was his second fumble in the half that got him benched.

That's 25 carries - 3 fumbles???

Morency has one and favre has one fumble according to NFL.com

Yahoo just showed 2 fumbes but only showed Morency in the stats.

I didn't know Morency was fumble prone coming out of college, but that is not a good thing

Back