Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Trade: Samkon Gado for Vernand Morency

What would Dom do? He wouldn't have made this move! So we should do the exact opposite, which is what Kubiak did. :hmmm:

Besides, Morency was a player from the previous regime's decisions. So many of those player have been moved that I've lost count. It's obvious that either they don't fit Kubiak's systems, or they weren't that good to begin with.

I look at this decision as a positive, and really look forward to seeing Gado in action. Good luck to both players.

Just to ask, We don't know who is going to start, Gabo or Lundy. Correct? It's a fantasy football question. :)

texan279 said:
Man you sure know a lot about him, but his name is Gado, not Gato...
lol sorry about the spelling. Yes, I actually know how to spell his name, but I also know how to type really really fast and sometimes by the time it goes from the mind to the fingers it turns into a different more familar word.

I watched every snap he took last year. How many people here can say that?
(Thanks to Tivo and DirectTV NFL Sunday Ticket w/ NFL Superfan/ NFL shortcuts, I almost saw every snap for all 32 teams last year. My girlfriend calls it addiction.)

phan1 said:
Just to ask, We don't know who is going to start, Gabo or Lundy. Correct? It's a fantasy football question. :)

Gado shouldn't start this week. Lundy or Dayne.

Don't be surprised if it's Dayne.

LBC_Justin said:
lol sorry about the spelling. Yes, I actually know how to spell his name, but I also know how to type really really fast and sometimes by the time it goes from the mind to the fingers it turns into a different more familar word.

I watched every snap he took last year. How many people here can say that?
(Thanks to Tivo and DirectTV NFL Sunday Ticket w/ NFL Superfan/ NFL shortcuts, I almost saw every snap for all 32 teams last year. My girlfriend calls it addiction.)

Yeah I wasn't dogging you man, I saw 7 of the 8 games he started so I guess I cant say I saw every snap.

Vinny said:
It could be that Morency wanted a trade and got it. He was pounding that trade drum in the pre-season.

Good point, I missed that one. May have been a morale thing too, but I have no idea, all I can do is speculate :)

I read somewhere that Dayne is supposed to play a lot next Sunday. Don't know if that necessarilly means starting.

Hmmm...

Just got of the Jags board. They seem to think we robbed the packers and are wandering the the heck the packers are thinking.

link

Let's all hope it plays out that way.

michaelm said:
Gado shouldn't start this week. Lundy or Dayne.

Don't be surprised if it's Dayne.
First I draft Morency b/c I thought he would start

Then I have to trade Moulds to get Lundy

Dayne is already taken.

Deangelo is my reserve.

I'm screwed.

Okay, our Houston Texans gave up RB Vernand Morency for Packers RB Samkon Gado Wednesday. I think this was in effort to obviously improve our running game, and this trade just adds more depth to our team.

Samkon Gado gained 582 yards on 143 carries during the games he played for the Green Bay Packers last season, averaging over 4 yards per carry. This guy obviously has a tremendous amount of talent, and also fits our system very well, which includes being a good-downhill runner.

In terms of letting Vernand Morecy go, I wish him the best of luck in the future. I thought he had a good pre-season with us this season, got a few touches vs. Philadelphia last week, and he did everything that we asked of him.

Overall, I feel this was a good trade for both teams and hopefully this will improve our backfield status, as it should.

On a side note, my ''Preview of the Indianapolis Colts'' will be posted later today (Thursday), so please watch for that.

my face lit up this morning when i opened the sports section of the Chron. this morning. I had no idea we pulled this off, we got a good deal. Now we have the speedster, the brusier, and the all purpose man. Think this would have taken 3 season for DC to pull off. Now if only we could get that C.C. Brown for Ed Reed trade.....:hmmm:

Well someone gave me a negative rep point for posting this earlier in this thread, so maybe if I prove it with the stats, you won't be so angry. At least leave a message or your name so at least I can know what you didn't like...

Anyway. Here is my opinion on why we traded Morency. The FO believed him to be expendable, because they believed Lundy was the better all around back. Everyone keeps clamoring that Morency had a much better preseason, and that he should have been the starter on day 1, but I just don't see it. Here's the proof:

He was more effective than Lundy:
Wali Lundy
26 carries for 143 yards (5.5 ypc), long of 25, 1 TD
6 receptions for 52 yards, long of 13

Vernand Morency
24 carries for 131 yards (5.5 ypc), long of 43, 2 TDs
6 receptions for 39 yards, long of 10

Now heres the important part (I'm only counting the games both played in)
Game 2 vs. STL:
Lundy 1st play - 1st Quarter, 15 minutes remaining
Morency 1st play - 2nd Quarter, 11:45 minutes remaining

Game 3 vs. Den:
Lundy 1st play - 1st Quarter, 9:02 remaining
Morency 1st play - 3rd Quarter, 14:39 remaining

Do you see where I'm going? Morency never got a single snap against 1st team defenses, and probably got very limited action against 2nd teamers. Most of his playing time was against defensive players that aren't even on some of these teams anymore.

He is a better blocker than Lundy
During the preseason, I would agree that Morency had 2 good blocks, and Lundy had 0. If you'll remember Kubiak's press releases though, he claimed that Morency was having a lot of trouble with blocking as well. Remember again that Morency was playing against 2nd and worse team defenses. We all saw what happened when Morency tried to make a block in a regular season game against a 1st team D. It wasn't pretty. Reminiscent of Lundy's failed attempts. Proper place and effort, but wasn't capable of taking on such a big defender.

So here's the deal. Morency wasn't better than Lundy in the preseason. In fact, if you substract that 1 long run each had, Morency's yards per carry 3.8. You can't count on those long ones every time. Without that 43 yarder, Morency was 23 carries for 88 yards! That isn't great. Without Lundy's long one, he was 25 for 112 (4.7ypc). And against 1st team Ds.

Clearly, the coaches realized Morency wasn't productive and consistent enough. Thats why he didn't start. As such, he was expendable. And they didn't pass up the opportunity to get a guy who can carry the load himself, and was the sole offensive force on a horrible GB team for the last half of the season.

gtexan02 said:
Well someone gave me a negative rep point for posting this earlier in this thread, so maybe if I prove it with the stats, you won't be so angry. At least leave a message or your name so at least I can know what you didn't like...

Anyway. Here is my opinion on why we traded Morency. The FO believed him to be expendable, because they believed Lundy was the better all around back. Everyone keeps clamoring that Morency had a much better preseason, and that he should have been the starter on day 1, but I just don't see it. Here's the proof:

Wali Lundy

Vernand Morency

Game 2 vs. STL:

Game 3 vs. Den:

Do you see where I'm going? Morency never got a single snap against 1st team defenses, and probably got very limited action against 2nd teamers. Most of his playing time was against defensive players that aren't even on some of these teams anymore.

During the preseason, I would agree that Morency had 2 good blocks, and Lundy had 0. If you'll remember Kubiak's press releases though, he claimed that Morency was having a lot of trouble with blocking as well. Remember again that Morency was playing against 2nd and worse team defenses. We all saw what happened when Morency tried to make a block in a regular season game against a 1st team D. It wasn't pretty. Reminiscent of Lundy's failed attempts. Proper place and effort, but wasn't capable of taking on such a big defender.

So here's the deal. Morency wasn't better than Lundy in the preseason. In fact, if you substract that 1 long run each had, Morency's yards per carry 3.8. You can't count on those long ones every time. Without that 43 yarder, Morency was 23 carries for 88 yards! That isn't great. Without Lundy's long one, he was 25 for 112 (4.7ypc). And against 1st team Ds.

Clearly, the coaches realized Morency wasn't productive and consistent enough. Thats why he didn't start. As such, he was expendable. And they didn't pass up the opportunity to get a guy who can carry the load himself, and was the sole offensive force on a horrible GB team for the last half of the season.

One of the many things I have learned from Vinny is that you cannot judge players based on stats in football. And subtracting Morency's longest run of the preseason to drop his YPC is ridiculous.

texan279 said:
One of the many things I have learned from Vinny is that you cannot judge players based on stats in football. And subtracting Morency's longest run of the preseason to drop his YPC is ridiculous.

It's not really ridiculous...If he had constantly broke long runs then it would be ridiculous to subtract his longest...But he had one long run, and IMO that was all O-line...He was untouched all the way to the endzone...I think the point he was trying to make is that he wasn't consistent...He had one long run in 24 carries .....Even if we assume that he can break one 40 yarder every 25 attempts, that still wouldn't be good enough...And the likely hood of him breaking a 40 yarder every 25 attempts is reaching...

gtexan02 said:

Wali Lundy

Vernand Morency

Game 2 vs. STL:

Game 3 vs. Den:

Gtex, I like where you're going with this and it makes sense. I know you have to add in the long runs, because it is part of the game, but I do see the difference as well when you take them away. I only found out about this trade on my way to work this morning on the radio. I was in shock, but I do remember Gado from last year's games that I got to watch and he was impressive. I think he will be able to contribute and I put my faith in this coaching staff more so than I ever did in Capers' crew. These guys are trying to build a winning unit out of a bunch of losers, seriously, that's what we were last year. I know it's hard to say that. I watched and rooted each game, and each game I felt my heart sink a little deeper and deeper. I think this is one more move in the right direction for a bigger goal than winning in week two.

xtruroyaltyx said:
It's not really ridiculous...If he had constantly broke long runs then it would be ridiculous to subtract his longest...But he had one long run, and IMO that was all O-line...He was untouched all the way to the endzone...I think the point he was trying to make is that he wasn't consistent...He had one long run in 24 carries .....Even if we assume that he can break one 40 yarder every 25 attempts, that still wouldn't be good enough...And the likely hood of him breaking a 40 yarder every 25 attempts is reaching...

I don't even know why I am responding, but if you take that 43 yard runaway from Morency in the St. Louis game, he would still have had 10 carries for 52 yards, or 5.2 YPC. In the same game take away Lundy's longest run of 21 yards and he would have had 6 carries for 19 yards, or 3.1 YPC. You can't take away a back's longest rush for the sake of stats no matter what the reason is for him breaking the long run. We could sit here and assume and play with stats all day if we wanted to make one back look better than the other on paper, all I know is IMO Morency was the better back in the preseason and he was given all of 5 carries in our first game before being traded.

Gadomighty! I just worked a trade to get Lundy in my fantasy league and now this? I had the starting RB job handcuffed as I also had Morency. Gado is already on a roster. being a huge Texan fan I think this is an excellent move. Texans running game was anemic last week so a change can't make it any worse.

xtruroyaltyx said:

Oh, and if you guys are so big on stats, in the preseason Gado had 27 carries for 65 yards for a YPC of 2.4, and that was against 2nd and 3rd team defenses. In the Packers first game this season he had 2 carries for -7 yards.

texan279 - I wasn't saying that you had to take away that long run, i was just trying to make a point regarding consistency.

Can you argue that Morency was up against 2nd and 3rd teamers the entire time?

texan279 said:
Oh, and if you guys are so big on stats, in the preseason Gado had 27 carries for 65 yards for a YPC of 2.4, and that was against 2nd and 3rd team defenses. In the Packers first game this season he had 2 carries for -7 yards.

First of all I am not a stat guy...I could care less about stats...I was just trying to explain to you what that guy was trying to convey...And I think he made his point pretty clear...over the course of the pre-season Lundy was our most consistent back...period....Breaking one long run in 25 carries is hardly consistent any way you spin it.....If you take away both players longest run...Lundy is the more consistent back...If you leave both players longest run in, the only thing Morency leads him in is touchdowns...Morency looked good to me also, but he was going against second and third teamers...Lundy was solid going against first teamers...Neither one of them had clearly seperated themselves from the other so it doesn't matter any way...Morency was 26...not old, but but older than the back we brought in and older than Lundy...We win either way...cheaper..younger...not much drop off in talent if any at all....

texan279 said:

I'm not trying to justify the Gado trade, I'm just trying to paint my picture of why I believe the FO thought Morency was expendable. And the fact was that Lundy outperformed him

If Morency was so great, he would have at least beat out a 6th round pick. Let's be serious, do some people think they know more than Kubiak? It's one thing if its a defensive player where he might not be an expert on but come on. I can sleep at night knowing that Kubiak knows his QB's and RB's.

Green Bay think Green's back to something like his best, so they wanted a shifty 3rd down back with good receiving skills out of the backfield more than a downhill bruiser. We were looking for someone to share the load in a more general sense as part of a committee, so we were more interested in just having the better pure rusher. Both teams are probably getting what they think they're getting, which probably means this is a win for both teams. Just not a very big one.

dtran04 said:
If Morency was so great, he would have at least beat out a 6th round pick. Let's be serious, do some people think they know more than Kubiak? It's one thing if its a defensive player where he might not be an expert on but come on. I can sleep at night knowing that Kubiak knows his QB's and RB's.

Like others have said already, draft position means nothing. I never said I knew more than Kubiak, all I have said is that I do not think Morency was given a fair shot at earning a spot on the team.

srstex said:
I find it odd that the Packers said that Gabo could not pick up the Zone Blocking scheme, isn't that what we are running too? I have said since we got Kubiak that this is a fresh start and that we could actually be 8-8 this season, but I agree with everyone else here, Gary is grasping at straws to deflect the Accountabilty he stands so strongly behind.
Do as I say not as I do should be Kubiaks new saying.
Let's face it you can't talk yourself out of a problem you performed yourself into.

I hear ya. That is what stunned me. Especially after picking up Dayne. Desperation is a stinky cologne.

Finally a move that I like...

Samkon Gado can be the starter by the 6th week...

I think this is a great move by the Texans, he could have a huge impact to this team and even though I think Morency was a better back than Lundy, Gado has the ability to be far superior than either of them...

He will either be a homerun or a strikeout, I strongly lean towards a homerun. Only time will tell...

I don't mean to sound elementary or anything but man I put that kid on my Madden with Dayne and all I can say is that if this can work anything like it did in Madden scheme wise, we might have a good thing going.

Try pounding it with this kid and letting Dayne come in and do even more pounding.

I know it is only Madden so don't go all nuts on me.

Who do you think he RESEMBLES running the ball? I think Bettis.

People need to stop freaking out about this deal. By next season, BOTH of these guys will be on their respective teams, but NEITHER will be a starter. Gado provides us with an everydown back who is capable of starting THIS season and maybe be a #2 in the following seasons. Morency gives GB a change of pace type back. IMO I like what I saw from Morency in the preseason, but let's face it, he is not an EVERY down type of back. This deal looks to be a wash for both teams.

What I DO like, is that Kubiak is constantly looking to do things that he thinks will improve the team. This is in direct opposition to Caper's style which was to stick with something/someone even when it was not working

phan1 said:
Just to ask, We don't know who is going to start, Gabo or Lundy.

When did we sign him?

gabbo.gif

At least he'll add some comedy.

AtheGreat said:
my face lit up this morning when i opened the sports section of the Chron. this morning. I had no idea we pulled this off, we got a good deal. Now we have the speedster, the brusier, and the all purpose man. Think this would have taken 3 season for DC to pull off. Now if only we could get that C.C. Brown for Ed Reed trade.....:hmmm:

I dunno, under the previous regime we took care of it in 2 seasons by...

Drafting Jonathan Wells to get our bruiser, except that he ran like he weighed 190 and fell over as soon as you put a hand on him. Eventually he became a fairly average "all purpose back" though.

Drafting Tony Hollings in the supplemental draft to get our speedster, except of course that he could never really run away from anyone and fell over as soon as you put a hand on him)

Signing Stacy Mack to fill that bruiser role, except that he got himself some turf toe and lost his job to Domanick Davis, then found himself out of the league.

If you think about that staff would have had zero running game if they hadn't picked DD to return kicks and come in on third downs. It was just blind, stupid luck that he gave them around 3,000 yards the past three years.

Their one successful pick at RB was an accident. That about sums up their run.

HOU-TEX said:
Why? Do you really think he could've done any better against Philly? IMO, I don't think so. I like what we've got. So cheer up little fella:redtowel:

i like what we got, but i just liked watchin DD break those big runs, and our running game would of been better against philly is he was here, but hopefully hes around next season

Bsacamano said:
People need to stop freaking out about this deal. By next season, BOTH of these guys will be on their respective teams, but NEITHER will be a starter. Gado provides us with an everydown back who is capable of starting THIS season and maybe be a #2 in the following seasons. Morency gives GB a change of pace type back. IMO I like what I saw from Morency in the preseason, but let's face it, he is not an EVERY down type of back. This deal looks to be a wash for both teams.

What I DO like, is that Kubiak is constantly looking to do things that he thinks will improve the team. This is in direct opposition to Caper's style which was to stick with something/someone even when it was not working

Exactly.

The Texans are a work in progress.

I will not be suprised to see the roster 'tweaked' all year long.

:coffee:

dunta23 said:
i like what we got, but i just liked watchin DD break those big runs, and our running game would of been better against philly is he was here, but hopefully hes around next season

What big runs? DD had no breakaway speed. He was good for 4 yards and a cloud of dust, unless he caught a pass out of the backfield. I don't think he had too many runs over 25 yards and it seemed like whenever he broke open ahead of the defense, somebody would catch up to him and either drag him down or knock him out of bounds

I didn't think Morency was going to last long in Houston. This is because, in my opinion, even though there was an article saying he was working on "one cut and go", he still seemed to "dance" or even stutter step when he got the ball (especially in the last preseason game). Plus, his attempt at pass blocking was pathetic. Believe you me, I have seen enough football games and coached a few to know what I am talking about.

TEXANRED said:
Thats what I keep saying but no one listens.

Dayne was a huge pick up. He has size and speed and already knows the system. Not to mention he is a vet with starting experience unlike the rest of our backfield. The only question is can he catch.

catch the ball.....Dever jut rarely throws to there rb's..He had2 cathces this preseason fo 20yds.And last preseason against u guys he had a spectacular 1 handed catch. Do u remeber. As a matter of fact he a had feild day on the Texans last preseason. He led all rushes.

DayneBum said:
catch the ball.....Dever jut rarely throws to there rb's..He had2 cathces this preseason fo 20yds.And last preseason against u guys he had a spectacular 1 handed catch. Do u remeber. As a matter of fact he a had feild day on the Texans last preseason. He led all rushes.

Who didn't have a field day against the Texans last year. I think there were a couple of teams that had multiple RBs with over 100 yards on the ground against us.:stirpot:

El Tejano said:
What kind of affect do you think this had on the team though?

That would be interseting to know as well. It could go two ways:
1) The players realize that if they do not produce the results that the staff is demanding, they will be cut/traded away and not be here any longer. This could light the motivation fire that some players may need to excel (although a multi-million dollar contract should be enough)

2) They realize that the staff is trying out a bunch of different things to see what will be successful and what won't and the players become unhappy because there is no "constant" every week. They also have the fear that they could be traded to another team that they don't want to be at and would have to uproot their family's, etc. This could take their minds off the work related requirments, such as game planning and focussing on the upcoming opponent.

Back