Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

GM O'Brien and Pastor Easterby

Per houston kronicle: Excellent progress in BOB, Easterby and Clowney negotiations. Achieved what Gaine could not gain....

BOB: "Okay Jadaveon, I got here this paper you see. Lots of beauceup bucks in this here legal document you see. Now sign! Please......"
Easterby : "Ohhhhhh AMEN!!!!"
Clowney: "Umm coach that' not even close to my market value"
BOB: "I am captain now, I decide what your worth........ and your not going to the HOF" "Oh and I secretly hate your lazy butt"
Clowney: "wait, whats that got to do........" "wait what?"
Easterby: "Ohhhhhh AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Except Chris Olsen is the interim GM.

Wowza! JB and Doc......... Code blue on the humor! Never mind..... that would be like performing CPR on a mummy! :D

Damn..........?

If Texans do not want to pay Clowney as an outside linebacker, why should they want to pay him as a DE? Regardless if an arbitrator says he is a DE or olb, Texans offer a contract of what they are willing to pay and he agrees or he does not.

They did offer him olb money right?

My issue is if they think his knee won't last or he's not a good pass rusher then why offer him that much? And if they really want to keep him they should pay him like a DE which is what he is.

They did offer him olb money right?

My issue is if they think his knee won't last or he's not a good pass rusher then why offer him that much? And if they really want to keep him they should pay him like a DE which is what he is.
I understand your points. IMO, we should not get caught up too much in 'positional' money as most recently signed stars received excessively over the going rate plus I prefer to use "pass rusher" in defining Clowney. I'm convinced both sides want JD to remain a Texan. I toss aside Mack's deal as an excessive deal. *Not going to debate or explain my view as done already. Next two up are D.Lawrence and Frank Clark at $21 m per season avg. Clowney's tag number is $16 m and sources say Texans will come close to $20-21 each of his first two seasons. GTD would be close to the $48 m and $44 m respectfully.

Both sides understand JD's health issues and IMO both are willing to gamble, now here is the obstacle: it doesn't matter how he has held up physically last three years but how he will hold up going forward. His knee is the primary concern but let's not overlook his concussion rookie year preseason third game. His knee is not getting healthier and a contract of any length is risky but in and of itself not the hold up for a new contract. It is the guaranteed amount + when he gets it is that is the obstacle. Forget the total amount of a contract as Texans could in theory give him a two hundred million ten year contract but with only say first two GTD allowing him to be cut. JD knows that and of course wants more up front.

IF signed, I expect approx $40 m GTD with half as a signing bonus plus low base for 2019 ($20 up from the 16 tag + $5 base= $25 m GTD year one. 2020 $15m GTD = $40 m GTD {Clark got $44}plus an incentive similar to Clark on sacks. This is where I would focus to pump up Clowney's money reasonably while benefiting team also.
A two year locked in commitment is reasonable with also reasonable bases plus incentives for additional years. Hey, it's there JD go earn it.

I wonder if the issue is the total dollar amount, the avg salary, ILTBE, or something else entirely?

Best this to handle this is to trade this guy. IMHO he will hold out.

-we let him play with micro fractures,
-we insinuated may times he has work ethic problem,
-Jax and Indy will take the division
-Toughest schedule ever

Why play? Get some draft picks and be done. If he comeback and play he is gonna go half speed for the pay day next season.

If they sign this guy I am a monkey' uncle and will leave this forum........... forever.......... until I can start a new account.

If not for the injury concerns this would be a no brainer for me.

I have heard how NFL teams view him internally when going against him. He’s not a big sack number guy and he’s not a finesse pass rusher. But his disruptiveness and ability against the run is top notch. It doesn’t really get much better.

How long will people keep expecting an injury that hasnt come? Paralysis by analysis! JDC has 2 straight years of pro bowl level football. What else can he do? Reward the guy already, the team did it for Cushing coming off injury why not JD?

Disruption on the defensive side is the name of the game .. yea sure stats are sexy, but a non stop force that is constantly playing on your side of the field at a speed that a human that size should not be moving is disheartening to say the least and completely can wreck and offensive game plan by himself. Teams simply dont run to JD's side and that is a HUGE advantage for Romeo.

Its a no brainer for me now and has been since the season was over.

How long will people keep expecting an injury that hasnt come? Paralysis by analysis! JDC has 2 straight years of pro bowl level football. What else can he do? Reward the guy already, the team did it for Cushing coming off injury why not JD?

Disruption on the defensive side is the name of the game .. yea sure stats are sexy, but a non stop force that is constantly playing on your side of the field at a speed that a human that size should not be moving is disheartening to say the least and completely can wreck and offensive game plan by himself. Teams simply dont run to JD's side and that is a HUGE advantage for Romeo.

Its a no brainer for me now and has been since the season was over.

Degenerative.

I trust Cloak's analysis.

Degenerative.

I trust Cloak's analysis.

tenor.gif

Would you guys want Travis Kelce on this team? Guess what? Yup - he's also underwent microfracture surgery. Success stories are there if people actually cared to look for their own without being spoon fed 'what is best' scenarios for this team.

Would you guys want Travis Kelce on this team? Guess what? Yup - he's also underwent microfracture surgery. Success stories are there if people actually cared to look for their own without being spoon fed 'what is best' scenarios for this team.

Kelce is a receiving TE. You couldn't pick an example further from OLB/DE other than QB.

Reward the guy already, the team did it for Cushing coming off injury why not JD?

It's my understanding the Texans want to reward the man. They've made a substantial offer, he declined.

The Texans have then offered a one year deal in line with what was agreed upon at the last collective bargaining deal, he hasn't signed. The franchise tag is the agreed upon compensation for teams & players when negotiations are at an impasse which is obviously where we are.

What more should the Texans do?

It's my understanding the Texans want to reward the man. They've made a substantial offer, he declined.

The Texans have then offered a one year deal in line with what was agreed upon at the last collective bargaining deal, he hasn't signed. The franchise tag is the agreed upon compensation for teams & players when negotiations are at an impasse which is obviously where we are.

What more should the Texans do?

Really what was this "substantial" offer? The franchise tag? What deal? If it wasnt north of 100Ms then its not a realistic offer given the market and the only article i've read on it stated something similar that it was borderline disrespectful (The Houston Texans would never lowball anyone would they?) and that was done LAST YEAR .. what did JDC do? Just have ANOTHER pro bowl season to put that cherry on top.

@infantrycak - Melvin Gordon averaged 5 yards per carry last year and caught another 50 balls for 500 yards and had 14 TDs overall and he's "never performed" ???

@infantrycak - Melvin Gordon averaged 5 yards per carry last year and caught another 50 balls for 500 yards and had 14 TDs overall and he's "never performed" ???

He averaged 5.1 ypc on a light 175 carry load. His UDFA split-time 100 carry backup averaged 5.2 ypc with 39 rec. and a highet yards per rec. Previously he was sub 4.0 ypc for 3 seasons. No he has not petformed (important to finish reading sentences) as a 15th overall.

He averaged 5.1 ypc on a light 175 carry load. His UDFA split-time 100 carry backup averaged 5.2 ypc with 39 rec. and a highet yards per rec. Previously he was sub 4.0 ypc for 3 seasons. No he has not petformed (important to finish reading sentences) as a 15th overall.

LOL do you want to clarify exactly what "not performing to a 15th overall means"? Gordon sat out 4 games with an MCL sprain last year .. year before he ran for over 1100 yards, and added another 58 receptions and 500 more through the air .. are you saying his backup is better than him? Strange take.

And all this AFTER the dreaded boogeyman surgery MICROFRACTURE!!! DUN DUN DUUUNNNN!

Only on TT will a guy who came back from microfracture be held to some imaginary standard and deemed a dissapointment after rushing for 2800 yards/receiving for 1500 more and scoring 38TDs all coming after the surgery LMAOOOOOOOO

If thats a disspointment what do you call Lamar Miller?

Last 10 years of RBs taken 15-32

Rashaad Penny 4.9 ypc
Sony Michel 4.5 ypc
Doug Martin 4.1 ypc
David Wilson 4.5 ypc
Mark Ingram 4.5 ypc
Jahvid Best 3.7 ypc (career ended by concussions while tushing 4.6 ypc his 2nd year)

Only a guy concussed out of the league has been worse.

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/repor...-longterm-deal-before-deadline-215444813.html The three-time Pro Bowler is the Texans' franchise player for 2019.

Status quo for Texans and unsigned franchise player Jadeveon Clowney, per sources. No deal happening prior to July 15 deadline, will play this season under $15.9 million franchise tender. Not expected to miss any games, but likely to miss at least a major portion of camp.”

For those who need the link

Last 10 years of RBs taken 15-32

Rashaad Penny 4.9 ypc
Sony Michel 4.5 ypc
Doug Martin 4.1 ypc
David Wilson 4.5 ypc
Mark Ingram 4.5 ypc
Jahvid Best 3.7 ypc (career ended by concussions while tushing 4.6 ypc his 2nd year)

Only a guy concussed out of the league has been worse.

How many of those guys scored 38Tds after the so called “career ender” micro fracture? Keep moving the goalposts. Gordon was a pro bowler last year! Lol SMH. You telling me you wouldn’t want Gordon on this team as lead back? You’d go with any other player you listed?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/repor...-longterm-deal-before-deadline-215444813.html The three-time Pro Bowler is the Texans' franchise player for 2019.

Status quo for Texans and unsigned franchise player Jadeveon Clowney, per sources. No deal happening prior to July 15 deadline, will play this season under $15.9 million franchise tender. Not expected to miss any games, but likely to miss at least a major portion of camp.”

For those who need the link

https://twitter.com/mysportsupdate/status/1148701513356890113?s=21

Ha! I love it! JD just gonna keep banking on himself. “His knee his knee”

100 just became 140. Just like the Texans “we just wanted to be sure, and now we are happy to pay more than we needed to last year cuz now we are really REALLY sure!”

Twist that blade in their side JD!

Many here (maybe most) didn't want to sign him to a long term deal either

I was hesitant as well because I thought they knew something about his knee.

But OBrien just doesn't like him. That's a dumbass reason.

you love speculating

There have been several sources that have indicated to me that many players on the team do not like Bill O'Brien. Two sources even used the term "hate."

That's when this little nugget got dropped on me:

"Bill O'Brien is running Clowney out of town."

At the end of March, O'Brien said "I really have a great fondness for Jadeveon Clowney," at the Annual League Meeting in Phoenix. However, that may not be the real case.

According to several sources, O'Brien is not a fan of Clowney's approach to the game, and feels that Clowney didn't work hard enough last season in returning from surgery. I guess we know for sure where the comments about Clowney not being "the worker bee" some of his defensive teammates (JJ Watt) are came from.

You may also recall the comments from O'Brien in Clowney's rookie season on how JD needed to learn to play with pain, and the team questioned his desire to play in regards to a knee injury he suffered Week 1. He then returned to the team only to make the knee injury significantly worse, and need microfracture surgery. Clowney then returned to the field the following year from microfracture surgery faster than any player in the history of the league. Maybe the accounting of his lack of work ethic is overstated?

The disdain that O'Brien has for Clowney has apparently been simmering for years, and Clowney is wise to it. As a result, Clowney will not give the Texans the contractual discount they are asking of him. He wants to get paid full market rate, and O'Brien isn't happy about it.

It's also why the Texans shopped Clowney this offseason. Sources said if the Texans could have gotten a "Khalil Mack type of deal" for Clowney, they would have pulled the trigger in a heartbeat.

https://houston.sportsmap.com/brian...unning-out-of-town?rebelltitem=3#rebelltitem3

Sources said if the Texans could have gotten a "Khalil Mack type of deal" for Clowney, they would have pulled the trigger in a heartbeat.

I really like Clownry and value his all around talent over the detractors who only look at sacks, BUT if he won't take Khalil Mack money fu@k him. Tag him twice and let him chase his deal @ 28.5 years old. 2 franchise tags is cheaper than Mack.

I really like Clownry and value his all around talent over the detractors who only look at sacks, BUT if he won't take Khalil Mack money fu@k him. Tag him twice and let him chase his deal @ 28.5 years old. 2 franchise tags is cheaper than Mack.

I think what that quote means is if they could trade him for a package similar to what the raiders got by trading mack, they would trade him

Back