Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

I had NFL teams tell me that Jadeveon Clowney was on the trade market during draft week which is not a surprise after the trade haul landed by Seattle for Frank Clark. It's hard to imagine a scenario where the Texans give Clowney a ton of guaranteed money with this knowledge.

— Lance Zierlein (@LanceZierlein) June 11, 2019

with all signs pointing to a New England SOUTH copy cat formula that Buttcrack McQuack wants to install it shouldnt be long before Clowney is traded to the New England Patriots for a 4th round pick as a hush hush thank you deal. Watch.

Screw the 4th, give us Josh McDaniels.

dude McDaniels is more indecisive and insecure that he would get here, run two practices and then run back home to Daddy Belly and the safe space in Foxborough. Screw that. Im done with anything that comes out of NE, they arent really all that smart, just lucky enough to have the best coach/qb tandem in the last 20 years. Soon as either one of those pieces start to fade the party will be over. Too many great young football minds out there to keep recycling NE cast offs.

He had Tebow. He did well with Garropalo every time that he got in there. If one HC stint defines him then Belicheck would have never gotten his shot ever again after Cleveland.

Belichick turned the Browns into a playoff team, then the owner moved them to Baltimore, by the time the fans found out they quit on the team. The players quit on the coach. I personally can't stand Belichick, but I don't know many coaches that can coach a team to wins, when their own fans give up on them. Unfortunately he learned from his mistakes in Cleveland, and his record is what it is now.

Belichick turned the Browns into a playoff team, then the owner moved them to Baltimore, by the time the fans found out they quit on the team. The players quit on the coach. I personally can't stand Belichick, but I don't know many coaches that can coach a team to wins, when their own fans give up on them. Unfortunately he learned from his mistakes in Cleveland, and his record is what it is now.

Total contradiction from what you just said in another thread where you attributed all of his success to breaking the rules.

He had Tebow. He did well with Garropalo every time that he got in there. If one HC stint defines him then Belicheck would have never gotten his shot ever again after Cleveland.

Who picked Tebow? He even traded up for him. He was OC for a putrid 2-14 St. Louis team and the Rams told him he was free to leave even though he was under contract

Who picked Tebow? He even traded up for him. He was OC for a putrid 2-14 St. Louis team and the Rams told him he was free to leave even though he was under contract

We already established that. That still doesn't mean he is dog **** for life in a HC position. Again, there are several guys that have been very good in their first trial as HC and then stunk the next time and some that did poorly the first time and came back and did much better in another situation. Coaches are capable of learning. Some of them any way. Almost all HC's fail if they have a bad QB situation. Many of them never get a good shot at one while they're in that position as well.

I'm just wondering

What's the difference between us Signing clowney now vs. Signing a big Name FA DE in he future?

Who said you had to sign any big name FA to a lot of money? Why? If you're going to sign a guy to a max DE position contract then you better get an elite player. Clowney has never been elite, and likely won't be after he gets a huge contract with tons of guaranteed money.

Who said you had to sign any big name FA to a lot of money? Why? If you're going to sign a guy to a max DE position contract then you better get an elite player. Clowney has never been elite, and likely won't be after he gets a huge contract with tons of guaranteed money.

I'm kinda with you on that one... I know he's essential to our Growth in the SC region but are they're any SC prospects worth drafting to replace that growth? Also, I'm kinda leaning towards letting him walk now but... people were pissed about the "Mario Williams" situation... BTW... what happened with that whole Mario Williams situation? I don't know ANYTHING about it

We already established that. That still doesn't mean he is dog **** for life in a HC position. Again, there are several guys that have been very good in their first trial as HC and then stunk the next time and some that did poorly the first time and came back and did much better in another situation. Coaches are capable of learning. Some of them any way. Almost all HC's fail if they have a bad QB situation. Many of them never get a good shot at one while they're in that position as well.

And being a good OC under BB doesn't establish him as a good OC elsewhere.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Why are they offering him olb money? He's a de.

If they are worried about injury, they shouldn't offer anything

Money, Money, Money, Moneyyyyy! Look at the per year salary average of an OLB and a DE and you'll see real quick why the Texans claim he's an OLB .. LOL.

Money, Money, Money, Moneyyyyy! Look at the per year salary average of an OLB and a DE and you'll see real quick why the Texans claim he's an OLB .. LOL.

Yes I know. What I'm saying is if they are really concerned about injury they shouldn't even offer that

Where does he play the most snaps? That determines it.. not a choice by the Texans
I believe it will be determined by percentage of snaps at the position. The Texan are in nickel more often than not, so that will make DE the predominant position.

Yes I know. What I'm saying is if they are really concerned about injury they shouldn't even offer that

They're not concerned about injury they just dont think he's worth the asking price. If Clowney was on the market he would get 100Ms+ EASY. Hell the team paid Cushing a big ass salary coming off an injury why did they do that? Its a really novice approach at filling out your team and its never worked for this franchise, they routinely allow homegrown guys to escape and get paid elsewhere and shine and this team believes it will find the next big star in the 5th round of the draft ... every year. Its a sad revolving door.

They should just trade Clowney. He's at the highest point in his career thus far and you could get good value. Instead though this team will franchise him and welcome the circus when it comes to town.

Cue the "team first" blowhards in 3..2..1. and after you talk to Jimmy Graham talk to Earl Thomas about how he feels about these "negotiations".

Hell the team paid Cushing a big ass salary coming off an injury why did they do that?

Cushing had a clean break. You set it, it heals, it is actually a stronger than before.

Clowney has a degenerative condition. It gets worse over time.

Cushing's subsequent injury was unrelated to the previous.

Clowney is subject to those same unrelated injuries as every NFL player as well as the ticking time bomb he calls a knee.

Cushing had a clean break. You set it, it heals, it is actually a stronger than before.

Clowney has a degenerative condition. It gets worse over time.

Cushing's subsequent injury was unrelated to the previous.

Clowney is subject to those same unrelated injuries as every NFL player as well as the ticking time bomb he calls a knee.

Oh Ok so Clowney will no doubt get hurt next year? Year after? Never? Would he earn his contract? This is all magic ball stuff bro. Guy has played great for 2 straight seasons and he keeps getting the same argument tossed at him.

Oh Ok so Clowney will no doubt get hurt next year? Year after? Never? Would he earn his contract? This is all magic ball stuff bro. Guy has played great for 2 straight seasons and he keeps getting the same argument tossed at him.

I'm fine with signing Clowney to a 4 year extension. I was just explaining the difference between his injury & Cushing's.

I believe it will be determined by percentage of snaps at the position. The Texan are in nickel more often than not, so that will make DE the predominant position.

I thought that's what I said?

Didn't see the percentage part. Like if it's S20M for De and $15M for LB and Clowney plays 75% DE, the total would be .75 x $20m + .25 x $15M.

Is there a precedent for this?

Reading the Jimmy Graham arbitrator decision didn't seem to allow for a gray area like that. Or I just read it wrong as f*ck.

Is there a precedent for this?

Reading the Jimmy Graham arbitrator decision didn't seem to allow for a gray area like that. Or I just read it wrong as f*ck.
Graham got screwed because lining up in the slot was not deemed as being a wide receiver. That and he was defended like a TE, mainly with a safety. I'm pretty sure that won't happen to Clowney, as he lined up with a hand on the ground more often (like a lineman) and was usually blocked by a OT, rather than a TE. Still, there is enough wiggle room for the impartial arbitrator to find a compromise. Here is the section in the CBA that details the process.

Section 7. Salary Information:
—51—(c) Any dispute concerning the identity and Salaries of players included within each player position category, or any other matter regarding these figures, shall be submitted to and resolved by the Impartial Arbitrator during the period from February 1 to February 15, or within twenty-five days after the last day of the Restricted Free Agent Signing Period, respectively. The Impartial Arbitrator shall make an independent determination in writing. In arriving at his determination, the Impartial Arbitrator shall consider any relevant information furnished to him, and shall be provided access to all relevant Player Contracts. The Impartial Arbitrator’s determination shall be final and binding upon all parties.
I'm pretty sure this type of positional dispute at the edge position has been arbitrated in this manner. I assume both Clowney and the Texans have submitted their positions regarding the dispute. Looking at the dates, I would have thought the Impartial Arbitrator would have already settled the issue. But, I haven't seen anything.

Graham got screwed because lining up in the slot was not deemed as being a wide receiver. That and he was defended like a TE, mainly with a safety. I'm pretty sure that won't happen to Clowney, as he lined up with a hand on the ground more often (like a lineman) and was usually blocked by a OT, rather than a TE. Still, there is enough wiggle room for the impartial arbitrator to find a compromise. Here is the section in the CBA that details the process.

I'm pretty sure this type of positional dispute at the edge position has been arbitrated in this manner. I assume both Clowney and the Texans have submitted their positions regarding the dispute. Looking at the dates, I would have thought the Impartial Arbitrator would have already settled the issue. But, I haven't seen anything.

That's my only point, that it doesn't necessarily matter what ratio of snaps he played this way or that. It matters whatever an arbitrator keys in on.

If he keys in on the fact that a 3-4 defense can utilize a rush LB in much the same manner as what a conventional DE has typically looked then that's all it takes for the ruling to be on the side of the Texans here. And of course the Texans will pursue whatever route will cost them less money, right or wrong.

If Texans do not want to pay Clowney as an outside linebacker, why should they want to pay him as a DE? Regardless if an arbitrator says he is a DE or olb, Texans offer a contract of what they are willing to pay and he agrees or he does not.

If Texans do not want to pay Clowney as an outside linebacker, why should they want to pay him as a DE? Regardless if an arbitrator says he is a DE or olb, Texans offer a contract of what they are willing to pay and he agrees or he does not.

Uhh, the franchise tag?

GM O'Brien and Pastor Easterby

Per houston kronicle: Excellent progress in BOB, Easterby and Clowney negotiations. Achieved what Gaine could not gain....

BOB: "Okay Jadaveon, I got here this paper you see. Lots of beauceup bucks in this here legal document you see. Now sign! Please......"
Easterby : "Ohhhhhh AMEN!!!!"
Clowney: "Umm coach that' not even close to my market value"
BOB: "I am captain now, I decide what your worth........ and your not going to the HOF" "Oh and I secretly hate your lazy butt"
Clowney: "wait, whats that got to do........" "wait what?"
Easterby: "Ohhhhhh AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Back