Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

Come on man, no one in their right mind would think of him as Mike Singletary. Don't even do that.

Clowney is pretty good, but he is simply not going to be worth the contract another team will pay him. He doesn't dominate games like Von Miller or Calais Campbell when they are at their best. Guys like Clowney and his tier generally end up being the most overpaid guys in the league, because they get paid like elite level players but aren't capable of performing as elite guys.
Maybe reread what I said? I'm comparing personality - not skill and specifically said he doesn't have Mike Singletary's personality. You misread what I said in every possible way.

Maybe reread what I said? I'm comparing personality - not skill and specifically said he doesn't have Mike Singletary's personality. You misread what I said in every possible way.

I just read it again, and you're right. I apologize. I don't think he's got a non stop motor, but I don't think he's lazy or uninspired either. I think his motor is pretty good overall especially for what I thought of his motor when we drafted him.

Jay Glazer’s weekly mailbag

Jay, how do you think the Jadeveon Clowney situation goes down? Do you think he’ll leave or stay? If he does stay, will he get a big extension or a franchise tag? —Carter L.

Well, there are teams that called the Texans last year about trying to trade for Jadeveon Clowney right before the deadline. Those teams were rebuffed. The Texans told those teams, "No, we want to keep Clowney, even if we have to franchise him." That’s what I think ends up happening. Obviously, barring an extension, I think they use the franchise tag on Clowney. A guy like that would get a ton on the open market but the Texans aren’t simply going to let him walk for nothing.

It may not be that he "wants" Mack/Donald money, but that at least his agent is telling him it is on the table.

and he could tell his agent to sign a lesser deal to stay in town. I don't blame him for wanting to maximize his value, I don't think anyone can. We are talking about the difference of tens of millions here, it is very significant. His agent knows what he can most likely fetch on the open market, which would be up in that upper echelon range, because that's the nature of free agency. So Clowney wants to get what he feels he is worth

Offer 22 mm for 3 years and if he balks... bye, Felicia.

I've said it several times somewhere on this board but he's this decade's Mario.

Nuff said.

22 million total? That would be insulting

And?

I don't want to get into it but he's not worth the hype.. annd let's not forget that he was conveniently injured (I feel kinda bad for saying that) right up until the last couple years when HE HAD to 'earn some value'.

JIMO... he deserves to go to the Jets.

And?

I don't want to get into it but he's not worth the hype.. annd let's not forget that he was conveniently injured (I feel kinda bad for saying that) right up until the last couple years when HE HAD to 'earn some value'.

What makes you say conveniently injured?

And?

Hasnt he been to 2 or 3 straight pro bowls? He isn't JJ or Mack, but if you were ever expecting that, it's on you not him.

And by 'when he has to be' ... I'm just reeling on his availability right up until he knew it was contract time.
I didn't feel like he gaf the first 2-3 years.

JMO

And by 'when he has to be' ... I'm just reeling on his availability right up until he knew it was contract time.
I didn't feel like he gaf the first 2-3 years.

JMO

He had a career threatening injury his rookie season and was still recovering his 2nd. 3rd season (hardly contract time on a 5 year contract) on he has been a probowl player.

I agree he doesn't deserve JJ, Donald, Mack money as he isn't that level. But he didn't just play in contract time either.

Curious if anyone has heard anything about what Clowney wants? Seems like all too often these high profile players are leaking info to undercut their team or outright running their mouth with their demands. If I'm reading it right, seems like Clowney has been very quiet which I respect him for. Could also be a good indication that the Texans are doing a good job negotiating w/ him even if things don't eventually work out for him to stay on the team.

Curious if anyone has heard anything about what Clowney wants? Seems like all too often these high profile players are leaking info to undercut their team or outright running their mouth with their demands. If I'm reading it right, seems like Clowney has been very quiet which I respect him for. Could also be a good indication that the Texans are doing a good job negotiating w/ him even if things don't eventually work out for him to stay on the team.

I read it as them having constructive negotiations. Leaking demands would undermine that.

I feel like the payday he'll command will not be worth the production. We have a bevy of pass rushers behind him that can pick up some slack by committee. That money would probably go further in draft picks for corner or tackle help, or cap space for the same.

Picks make slotted money insignificant to what he'll command. Argue for free agents.

Considering what indy's line did to us ,we need all the pass rush talent we can get. Ofcourse, I say that not knowing what kinda $ they're discussing.

Picks make slotted money insignificant to what he'll command. Argue for free agents.

Considering what indy's line did to us ,we need all the pass rush talent we can get. Ofcourse, I say that not knowing what kinda $ they're discussing.

To get the ballpark, the 2019 franchise tag for DE is $17.1 and for for LB is $15.4. Last year they split the difference.

I think our pass rush suffers more from a lack of secondary talent. Backend would go a long way in making the front look good, a la the Seahawks and their legion of boom. Kam kam, Sherman, Bobby wagoner, they had a ton of talent in coverage that helped that d-line.

I think our pass rush suffers more from a lack of secondary talent. Backend would go a long way in making the front look good, a la the Seahawks and their legion of boom. Kam kam, Sherman, Bobby wagoner, they had a ton of talent in coverage that helped that d-line.

You still believe strongly in mercy I take it? And Duke e perhaps?

You still believe strongly in mercy I take it? And Duke e perhaps?

I'm honestly not the biggest Mercilus fan. I think he was misused last year but was pretty much non-existent. Duke E is solid, If we can re-sign Covington, we still have Reader and a few other serviceable players that will all look better with backend coverage, we've got options for pass rushers. They don't all have to be swiss army knives, we can find guys who pass rush, or run stuff but might lack in another area. It's just my opinion. It probably ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on though.

I'm honestly not the biggest Mercilus fan. I think he was misused last year but was pretty much non-existent. Duke E is solid, If we can re-sign Covington, we still have Reader and a few other serviceable players that will all look better with backend coverage, we've got options for pass rushers. They don't all have to be swiss army knives, we can find guys who pass rush, or run stuff but might lack in another area. It's just my opinion. It probably ain't worth a velvet painting of a whale and a dolphin getting it on though.

I agree clowney will make more then he produces. I'm not sure we have the talent to make up for it in pass production
though.

The indy playoff game was a real eye opener for me. We didn't get close to luck. As long as he's clean he'll pick us apart. And that line is YOUNG.

I agree clowney will make more then he produces. I'm not sure we have the talent to make up for it in pass production
though.

The indy playoff game was a real eye opener for me. We didn't get close to luck. As long as he's clean he'll pick us apart. And that line is YOUNG.

We held them to 21 points, it wasn't the defense that lost that game.

Defense gave up a very quick 21 points that changed the entire game plan for the offense

Offense gave the ball back on 3 very quick failed drives. Sustain a drive on offense and you change the dynamic. You can't walk away from a playoff game with 7 points on the board and tell me that the defense was the problem.

Offense gave the ball back on 3 very quick failed drives. Sustain a drive on offense and you change the dynamic. You can't walk away from a playoff game with 7 points on the board and tell me that the defense was the problem.

I agree with you on the offense needing upgrades so they can sustain drives and how much that will help the defense. But the defense was awful at the beginning of that game. No pressure and the CB play looked like something you would see in the preseason. It really says something when you're depending on Shareece Wright to play meaningful time at CB in a playoff game for you.

Last edited:
So to summarize, improve secondary, improve ol, have healthy wrs (or better depth there) next time?

Very much so. I think the OL improvement creates the ability to utilize more TE receiving options. And the secondary improves the line on the defensive side of the ball. No D linemen is gonna get home when your corners can't cover 12 yard routes. Ball is simply out too fast.

I remember Clowney having no real effect in the Indy game. I remember him getting dominated on some plays. The better the OL and QB basically playoff teams, it seems the less the pass rush has on the bottom line. If the QB sucks like a Bortels then pass rush makes a difference. When playoff time comes pass rushers like Clowney don't seem to make as big a difference against the likes of Brady, Breeze, Luck, Wilson, etc. We need OL, secondary, WRs, before DL pass rushers. If you can trade Clowney for the above or draft choices I think the Texans get better. As always just my opinion.

I remember Clowney having no real effect in the Indy game. I remember him getting dominated on some plays. The better the OL and QB basically playoff teams, it seems the less the pass rush has on the bottom line. If the QB sucks like a Bortels then pass rush makes a difference. When playoff time comes pass rushers like Clowney don't seem to make as big a difference against the likes of Brady, Breeze, Luck, Wilson, etc. We need OL, secondary, WRs, before DL pass rushers. If you can trade Clowney for the above or draft choices I think the Texans get better. As always just my opinion.

.....and a good opinion at that.

Beside concerns over his ticking time bomb knee situation, the way I have perceived Clowney is "almost got there.........almost made the play............almost." I believe there are other players that can take the role of "almost"...........at a much more reasonable cost. At the cost he will command, you want someone who will actually make big plays............not just be known to be "disruptive."

I remember Clowney having no real effect in the Indy game. I remember him getting dominated on some plays. The better the OL and QB basically playoff teams, it seems the less the pass rush has on the bottom line.

I think the better the QB/OL, the more a lack of interior pressure can be seen.

We miss Antonio & Jj Watt's ability to rush the passer from the interior. & with our poor LBs we miss Cushing's contribution as a pass rusher & zone coverage.

Last edited:
Beside concerns over his ticking time bomb knee situation, the way I have perceived Clowney is "almost got there.........almost made the play............almost." I believe there are other players that can take the role of "almost"...........at a much more reasonable cost. At the cost he will command, you want someone who will actually make big plays............not just be known to be "disruptive."

Any examples of the guys who could take the 'almost' role?

They'd have to have 25 combined sacks and tfl while continuing on with a whole bunch more of those 'almost' disruptive plays.

Figure if there are more than a few of those guys readily available it shouldn't be a problem to rattle off a name or three real quick.

They'd have to have 25 combined sacks and tfl while continuing on with a whole bunch more of those 'almost' disruptive plays.

Figure if there are more than a few of those guys readily available it shouldn't be a problem to rattle off a name or three real quick.

Surely you're not looking for logical reasoning here Shirley?

If Clowney weren't there, players would be given opportunity to fill that role. Like Ejiofor and Mercilus when used differently with adjustment of scheme. Even it took the combination of 2 players (not necessarily those aforementioned) to affect this. Even with Watt doing his thing and Clowney on the other end, the Texans managed only ~2.5 sacks/game.................and in most games, our D was given more than enough time to get to the QB............sometimes ridiculously so. Clowney's probable asking price is very unlikely to make him irreplaceable.

If Clowney weren't there, players would be given opportunity to fill that role. Like Ejiofor and Mercilus when used differently with adjustment of scheme. Even it took the combination of 2 players (not necessarily those aforementioned) to affect this. Even with Watt doing his thing and Clowney on the other end, the Texans managed only ~2.5 sacks/game.................and in most games, our D was given more than enough time to get to the QB............sometimes ridiculously so. Clowney's probable asking price is very unlikely to make him irreplaceable.

I couldn't tell in all those words if you're asserting that Mercilus or Ejiofor would put up the production that JDC did or you're deciding to sidestep the question. Or maybe you're just saying that guys would get opportunities with Clowney not there ... and well, sure, other people would be allowed on the field in Clowney's absence. Opportunities =/= production.

Back