Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The New New JaDeveon Clowney Thread

That ranks on sacks only. How many of them bested Clowney on TFLs?
Looked at another way, most every one who bested Clowney on TFLs also bested him on sacks.

Those ahead of Clowney on BOTH sacks and above / tied on TFLs:
Aaron Donald
J.J. Watt
Chris Jones
Danielle Hunter
Jason Pierre-Paul
Cameron Jordan
DeForest Buckner
Calais Campbell
Demarcus Lawrence
Michael Bennett

If we count them equally, Clowney gets beaten by a few more:
Von Miller
Bradley Chubb
Dee Ford

He's definitely in good company.

And to think a couple seasons ago we were hearing we were just a QB away...

Those fans were wrong.

Hopefully Gaine can continue to clean up the mess that was left for him.[/QUOTE]

2-3 years ago when people said we were "just a qb away" we had a pretty decent line, and we had good corners. Problem is while obtaining that QB we let those positions fall off hard.

2-3 years ago when people said we were "just a qb away" we had a pretty decent line, and we had good corners. Problem is while obtaining that QB we let those positions fall off hard.

That's the thing with this every offseason mantra of 'too many holes, at least 2-3 years,' 2/3rds of an NFL roster will turn over in that time and stars will go from peak to decline. Gotta accept there will always be "holes" on every roster and coach around them.

Field Yates ESPN Insider reports Texans paid JD bonus of $1.005 million to settle dispute of what position Clowney should have been paid at for 2018. He was paid at OLB rather than the DE he said. Increase was from $12.306 to $13.31 m. So, standing up or 3 point stance he is paid as an End.

That's the thing with this every offseason mantra of 'too many holes, at least 2-3 years,' 2/3rds of an NFL roster will turn over in that time and stars will go from peak to decline. Gotta accept there will always be "holes" on every roster and coach around them.

except our holes were easily avoidable, we would all feel a hell of a lot better going into this offseason if DB and Bouye were still on the roster

Field Yates ESPN Insider reports Texans paid JD bonus of $1.005 million to settle dispute of what position Clowney should have been paid at for 2018. He was paid at OLB rather than the DE he said. Increase was from $12.306 to $13.31 m. So, standing up or 3 point stance he is paid as an End.

actually could be a big deal if the Texans do go the tag route with Clowney.

3 time consecutive pro bowler will get us at least a first and if bidding war starts and it could, a lot more. 9 sacks, 16 TFL, 47 tackles with 39 solo,1 FF, 3 recovered fumbles-1TD, and 21 QB hits is worth a lot more than compensation. He is worth resigning only question is how much. Not to forget these stats were with JJ on field getting his.
I hope you are right. If he gets us a 1 and say a 2, I will be ecstatic and very surprised. I will be surprised if he even gets you a 1 unless it is with one of the teams still in the playoffs. I want nothing to do with him on a long term deal. If we franchise I don't think he signs. Could they trade him right now before they nonexclusive franchise or what are the details on trading players once season is over? I do think you have to franchise. Again just my opinion and I hope I am dead wrong on trade value.

Last edited:
Those fans were wrong.

Hopefully Gaine can continue to clean up the mess that was left for him.

2-3 years ago when people said we were "just a qb away" we had a pretty decent line, and we had good corners. Problem is while obtaining that QB we let those positions fall off hard.[/QUOTE]

That's what lead to getting a new GM.

No, he is paid as a mix.

Now that does mean the franchise tag is more expensive @ a 20% increase, $15.97. Still a savings over DE which was $17.1 in 2018.

No, he is paid as a mix.

Now that does mean the franchise tag is more expensive @ a 20% increase, $15.97. Still a savings over DE which was $17.1 in 2018.
He was paid as OLB that was his argument. The bonus was to pay him as an end and was negotiated by his agent and Gaines.

He was paid as OLB that was his argument. The bonus was to pay him as an end and was negotiated by his agent and Gaines.

It was a negotiation between LB & DE. This has been done many times around the league. The 2018 transition number for DE was $14.2. Clowney did not get paid as a DE.

It was a negotiation between LB & DE. This has been done many times around the league. The 2018 transition number for DE was $14.2. Clowney did not get paid as a DE.
That's what I said here is exact wording of reporter
According to ESPN‘s Field Yates, Clowney was paid a bonus of $1.005 million by the Texans as part of a resolution over a dispute about which position he should have been technically listed playing under for his most recent fifth-year option. Had he been listed as a linebacker, he would have made less money than had he been listed as a defensive end, which resulted in the additional millions being given to him.
https://brobible.com/sports/article...ne-million-dollars-contract-dispute-position/

He did not get paid the top DE transition as I said it was negotiated as a settlement to move on in his negotiation.

I think Watt had one heck of a return from injury season. So much so that I don't think he'll be slowing down, he's just going to get better or start to look a lot more like himself pre-injury. This guy is beast and he is good to his body......he'll be burden for offfenses once again in 2019.

Despite how big he is, JJ's never been a power rusher. Yet he still dominated from inside those early years & I think alot of the wear & tear on him that caused him to break down those 2 years came from him playing inside alot more then. Crennel kept him on the outside all this year so in a sense i'm not all that surprised he was able to stay healthy.

Funny how the same people who think Watt coming off of multiple serious injuries and almost 30 is going to play great forever are the same ones worried about Clowney's knee lol.

Funny how the same people who think Watt coming off of multiple serious injuries and almost 30 is going to play great forever are the same ones worried about Clowney's knee lol.

Who said anything about JJ playing forever or even a very long time?

My prediction was JJ would pull a Bob Lilly and retire once he is a healthy non-probowler.

Who said anything about JJ playing forever or even a very long time?

My prediction was JJ would pull a Bob Lilly and retire once he is a healthy non-probowler.

Not you, but there are a lot who seem to want to trade JD in part because of how Watt performed this year. Honestly with an aging vet like Watt coming off of the injuries he has had, I am treating every year we have him playing at a high level as a bonus and am not expecting him to replicate that production or even play a full 16 games for much longer.

You honestly think you could a top 10 pick for Clowney?

This year in particular?
Agree MW, no way JD fetchs that kind of value today.
See I think lot of folks over rate how rich the comp was for Mack in the Bears-Raiders trade because the 2019 2nd round pick the Raiders included practically offsets the second 1st round pick (2020) the Bears included on their end so in essense the Bears are paying a late rounds 1st & 3rd for Mack.
Anyway I don't think there's anyway a Jadaveon Clowney scores the kind of deal Khalil Mack did but JMHO.

Huh? - he bull rushes people a lot. The fact he has other moves doesn't take that away.

He does it all & very well i might add. but his forte...when he's most disruptive, he's mostly using his speed and agility to run around you or when he was playing more inside, he was using that swim move to go over the top. He wasn't overpowering guys like a Reggie White with his hump move. Players agree.

Agree MW, no way JD fetchs that kind of value today.
See I think lot of folks over rate how rich the comp was for Mack in the Bears-Raiders trade because the 2019 2nd round pick the Raiders included practically offsets the second 1st round pick (2020) the Bears included on their end so in essense the Bears are paying a late rounds 1st & 3rd for Mack.
Anyway I don't think there's anyway a Jadaveon Clowney scores the kind of deal Khalil Mack did but JMHO.

It is a very simple solution for 2019... We simply franchise tag Clowney. We have plenty of cap room, and the team can address his long term health concerns next off-season.

I'm not the biggest JD fan, but he has great value as a player. My opinion has always been better run defender than pass rusher. 15m per yr for 1st 3yrs guaranteed sounds right. The cap is going to balloon in 3yrs, Watson will be ready money wise and JJ contract will be peanuts. Move to a 4-2-5. Clowney-Reader-Watt-Merci from left to rt.

Clowney says he wants to play his whole career in Houston, yada, yada... link. Sounds a bit like he anticipates playing 2019 under franchise tag:

“Of course, I want to come back,” Clowney said. “I promise to the Texans and whoever else is watching that I’m going to be a much better, improved player next season. I haven’t been thinking about a contract. If I come back and play well like I know I’m going to, contract will take care of itself. I’m going to work on my craft and work on my game. That’s what I’m worrying about.”

Clowney says he wants to play his whole career in Houston, yada, yada... link. Sounds a bit like he anticipates playing 2019 under franchise tag:

The quote sounds like a more mature Clowney. I was on the fence about him (if it was going to cost +$100m) but it appears he has the right attitude, which seemingly is in short supply with many younger players.

Trade Clowney for Jalen Ramsey. Jags supposedly going to put him on the trading block. Problem solved.

For a trade to work it has to make sense for both sides right? Why would the Jags trade one of the best corners in the game to a division rival for another pass rusher when they have an abundance of those?

For a trade to work it has to make sense for both sides right? Why would the Jags trade one of the best corners in the game to a division rival for another pass rusher when they have an abundance of those?
Because we would be doing the same thing. And Clowney is not chump change and would fit better in their 4-3 defensive scheme. And supposedly, jags are willing to trade Ramsey because they are tired of hus act. http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...r-trading-jalen-ramsey-offseason?platform=amp

But I was mistaken on one part. I thought Ngakoue was a free agent this year but he still has a year to go. So no way the Jags would trade for Clowney when they got Calais campbell and Ngakoue.

Go back and watch Clowney carefully, especially in the Colts game. Watch him perform his swim moves and you'll see him do what every rookie knows better than to do...............jump up/leave your feet.........and guarantee you lose the battle every time.

Go back and watch Clowney carefully, especially in the Colts game. Watch him perform his swim moves and you'll see him do what every rookie knows better than to do...............jump up/leave your feet.........and guarantee you lose the battle every time.
McFarland who played DL in the league for 6 or 7 years and has two rings made some very critical comments about Clowney during the game in this regard. He even said Clowney should be embarrassed. Clowney seems to be one of those guys who makes occasional spectacular plays that overshadow his mistakes. I just hope the Texans look at both sides of the equation before strapping themselves with a huge long term cap hit. It also should be a concern(in my opinion) when the last year in a guys contract he is much more productive than the previous three. So it should seem obvious the franchise tag is the way to go... and that's what scares me is the Texans seldom seem to see the obvious.

McFarland who played DL in the league for 6 or 7 years and has two rings made some very critical comments about Clowney during the game in this regard. He even said Clowney should be embarrassed. Clowney seems to be one of those guys who makes occasional spectacular plays that overshadow his mistakes. I just hope the Texans look at both sides of the equation before strapping themselves with a huge long term cap hit. It also should be a concern(in my opinion) when the last year in a guys contract he is much more productive than the previous three. So it should seem obvious the franchise tag is the way to go... and that's what scares me is the Texans seldom seem to see the obvious.

The medical risk is why a long term contract should be questioned unless it is set up as minimal to cut after 2 years.

He was more productive last year.

The medical risk is why a long term contract should be questioned unless it is set up as minimal to cut after 2 years.

He was more productive last year.

Teams have fired ou his pass rush move and account for him in the run game... even with JJ back

Figured out? They led the league in rush D.

In what area? YDS allowed? No. Pt's allowed? No . Yds per attempt yes, they just allowed too many attempts. TD and ypg they were 3rd

link

And the offense was mid-pack in almost every area

Texans' TV viewership plummeted after Week 14 loss to Colts

"Perhaps after the Colts defeated the Texans with quarterback Andrew Luck drawing edge rusher Jadeveon Clowney offsides to seal the win, Houston fans had a niggling feeling that it was “happening again” and that the Texans would choke away a chance to get beyond the divisional playoffs for the first time in the franchise’s 17-season history."

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/01/12/texans-tv-viewership-tumbled-week-14-loss-colts/

The ONLY dig on Clowney should be he is a ticking time bomb with a bone on bone knee.

To me, the other knock would be a lack of discipline. We can’t have the consistent pre snap and unsportsmanlike penalties, and (this might be on RAC) but the constant diving inside giving up outside contain. The guy is an other worldly athlete, I’d just like to see him mature a bit

To me, the other knock would be a lack of discipline. We can’t have the consistent pre snap and unsportsmanlike penalties, and (this might be on RAC) but the constant diving inside giving up outside contain. The guy is an other worldly athlete, I’d just like to see him mature a bit

Being with Watt is probably the worst place for him to be to achieve that

To me, the other knock would be a lack of discipline. We can’t have the consistent pre snap and unsportsmanlike penalties, and (this might be on RAC) but the constant diviyoung inside giving up outside contain. The guy is an other worldly athlete, I’d just like to see him mature a bit

What is too much? He had 14 penalties (some at reallly bad times) out of roughly a
thousand snaps. He and JJ meet RBs 3 yds deep

That's nearly 1 a game, and far too many were game changers

This was my thinking exactly. I think he had quite a few that negatively effected the outcome of some games this season. What makes it really tough is we were 1 win from securing a first rd bye. There’s no denying his talent though, and I do really like the guy despite the fact I’ve harped on him a bit this year.

Back