Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Johnny "Football" Manziel NFL thread

Netflix documentary reveals how wild round of golf soured Texans on Johnny Manziel before NFL draft

Snippet:

In the documentary, Burkhardt tells a story about Manziel attending a charity event the Texans were involved in, charming the attendees and donating his own money to the cause, which impressed team owner Bob McNair. Suddenly, the Manziel camp had hope that maybe he could be the No. 1 overall pick. Then, things swiftly took a turn in the opposite direction.

“The next day I get a call. ‘He was golfing today at River Oaks Country Club. And it got back to the owner’s family basically that Johnny by hole 5 had taken his shirt off, looked intoxicated and broke multiple clubs over his knee and threw them in the pond. There goes Houston,” Burkhardt says.

His game was never gonna translate to the NFL so imo he was destined to be a bust so it wouldn’t have matter……… except for in the fact that we would’ve likely had 2 qbs with off the field issues back to back assuming we go ahead and do what we did in 2017 and draft DW4 in 2017 after 2 years watching Manziel flame out from 2014-2016.

His game was never gonna translate to the NFL so imo he was destined to be a bust so it wouldn’t have matter……… except for in the fact that we would’ve likely had 2 qbs with off the field issues back to back assuming we go ahead and do what we did in 2017 and draft DW4 in 2017 after 2 years watching Manziel flame out from 2014-2016.
He could have been a decent level back up like a Colt McCoy if he'd applied himself

I just can't muster any interest in a documentary about that dude. Y'all non-Aggie-cult people can let me know if it's worth your time.

Excerpt:

In the documentary, Burkhardt tells a story about Manziel attending a charity event the Texans were involved in, charming the attendees and donating his own money to the cause, which impressed team owner Bob McNair. Suddenly, the Manziel camp had hope that maybe he could be the No. 1 overall pick. Then, things swiftly took a turn in the opposite direction.

“The next day I get a call. ‘He was golfing today at River Oaks Country Club. And it got back to the owner’s family basically that Johnny by hole 5 had taken his shirt off, looked intoxicated and broke multiple clubs over his knee and threw them in the pond. There goes Houston,” Burkhardt says.

Excerpt:

I guess it's my age, but stories about drunken entitled fools just don't compel me much. lol

I'd rather be inspired by folks who did not take their talent and chances in life for granted and achieved great things.

But, I never watched Tiger King so I'm probably not the target audience for this one. ;)

I guess it's my age, but stories about drunken entitled fools just don't compel me much. lol

I'd rather be inspired by folks who did not take their talent and chances in life for granted and achieved great things.

But, I never watched Tiger King so I'm probably not the target audience for this one. ;)

Lol

Bet you watched the Osbournes……..

I still haven’t watched it but I’m definitely going to. Apparently this mf was the biggest liar and con artist in nfl history.
I’m a sucker for these types of stories.

Tiger King….talk about a bunch of hoopla over nothing. I never saw it either, but the hype around this show was so insane that it made me not wanna see it b/c I knew it wasn’t gonna live up to it…

Now, the documentary on Jerry Falwell Jr, Becky Falwell and the cabana boy on Hulu? Very well done & if I was the kid and told someone my story who didn’t know about it, I’d have a hard time believing him. that’s about as insane of a true story as you can get lol.

I just can't muster any interest in a documentary about that dude. Y'all non-Aggie-cult people can let me know if it's worth your time.

Not sure what a non-aggie-cult (not sure if a typo or I'm just genuinely lost there) person is, or if I fit the bill, but I will say the 1st episode (all I've seen so far) was interesting.

It shows, to me, a guy who is equal parts not apologetic about the things that transpired, one who doesn't ask for one whit of pity for those same things, who takes accountability in so far as how things could've gone better, and who isn't trying to PR his way into a better public persona today rather than just being a regular guy talking about having lived a pretty unbelievable ride. Just very matter of fact.

He was a 20 year old kid swept up in arguably the most incredible hype storm of major college sports stardom there's ever been. A kid who'd already been living a bit of a carpe diem day to day life that was undoubtedly susceptible to the trappings of overnight mega-stardom. And one that took the NCAA's archaic bs - although guilty in so far as knowing he was doing wrong - and nonetheless flipped his rocketed fame into a whirlwind of big money and celebrity limelife by taking the same cash for his success that is what we simply call NIL just 10 years later today. Hell, his narrative is one of the major catalysts of NIL.

Idk, sure he squandered so much, and sure he never seemed to have much if any contrition about it. But he only really ever squandered what he earned on the field to begin with. And he's never asked the public to feel sorry for him or acted like he was wronged by anyone in particular. He just happened to live a 1 of 1 life for better or worse, and the fact that he can talk about it so candidly and without any boohoo spin I find a bit intriguing.

Back