Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

The Actual And Real 2016 Texans' Talk Mock Draft Extravaganza

Request submission to group for repick-

in light of Josh Norman leaving Panthers, I would resubmit last selection: TE Thomas Duarte, making him available to board-
& select remaining undrafted prospect.

Last edited:
Can you guys help me out I'm at work and don't have access to a computer at the moment. Who are the best players available

Can you guys help me out I'm at work and don't have access to a computer at the moment. Who are the best players available

My current top 15 are:

1. Paul McRoberts, WR, Southeast Missouri State
2. Ben Braunecker, TE, Harvard
3. Code Core, WR, Ole Miss
4. Romeo Okwara, DE, Notre Dame
5. DeAndre Washington, RB, Texas Tech
6. Beau Sandland, TE, Montana State
7. Ken Crawley, CB, Colorado
8. Jaydon Mickens, WR, Washington
9. Brandon Doughty, QB, Western Kentucky
10. Donte Deayon, CB, Boise State
11. Aziz Shittu, DE, Stanford
12. Demarcus Robinson, WR, Florida
13. Henry Krieger Coble, TE, Iowa
14. David Morgan II, TE, Texas, San Antonio
15. D.J. Pettway, DE, Alabama

Request submission to group for repick-

in light of Josh Norman leaving Panthers, I would resubmit last selection: TE Thomas Duarte, making him available to board-
& select remaining undrafted prospect.

If you're going to do it, do it quick and let us know what's going on.

Although, honestly, I wouldn't let the Josh Norman thing affect a 7th round pick. I'd expect them to look for a replacement a lot earlier than that.

Reactions: JB

Although, honestly, I wouldn't let the Josh Norman thing affect a 7th round pick. I'd expect them to look for a replacement a lot earlier than that.

OK, let me double check selection board to be sure the right prospect is still there?

your right, Carolina will now have to address CB need earlier than 4th rd. not just 7th.

along with Tennessee & Cleveland trading top two picks this move changes things drastically, but who would have known? long as I've been following draft process I've never seen anything like this :specnatz:

With pick# 251 in the 2016 Texans Talk Mock draft, The Philadelphia Eagles select:

D.J. Hunter, SS, Marshall

460x.jpg

Last edited:
With the #252 pick Seattle selects:

Drew Ott - DE, Iowa

8794600.jpg

Ott had 26 TFL, 16 sacks, and 5 FF across the 29 games he started in college. He's always been a strong run defender so he fits Seattle's system as a strong side DE. But in his final two years he also began to flash as a pass rusher, so that might be an area where he could continue to grow and add value. He got hurt early in his senior year, applied for a medical waiver, and the NCAA sat on their decision until two weeks before the draft. So Ott got majorly screwed here. He is way under the radar because he had to sit out the entire draft process. He went through medical checks, where he is apparently getting a green light on his ACL, but had to skip out on all star games, combines, and Iowa's pro day because joining in would have voided his waiver to get an extra year of eligibility at school. So once again the NCAA accomplished exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to stand for, looking out for the best interests of the student-athletes.

Ott shouldn't be available this late. But because of the NCAA dragging their feet, most people don't even know that he's eligible for this draft.

Seattle's final haul:

(1). Cody Whitehair - OG, Kansas St
(2). Kamalei Correa - SLB, Boise St
(3). Jordan Howard - RB, Indiana
(3). Sheldon Day - DT, Notre Dame
(4). Austin Blythe - C, Iowa
(5). Deiondre Hall - CB, Northern Iowa
(6). Chris Moore - WR, Cincinnati
(7). Stephane Nembot - OT, Colorado
(7). Terrance Smith - WLB, Florida St
(7). Drew Ott - SDE, Iowa

I like this draft better than my Buffalo draft. But Pete Carroll is also my coaching idol, so I tend to have a good feel for his teams because we share the same basic philosophies. I think I walked out of this draft with five starters, although Howard will be in a timeshare with Rawls so maybe just count it as four. I feel like that is very solid for one draft.

Whitehair is the immediate starter at LG. Correa replaces Bruce Irvin at the SLB spot. Day just needs to beat out Jordan Hill for the DT position. And Blythe would battle Patrick Lewis at C.

Hall is probably the #4 CB in year one but he fits the mold that Carroll looks for and has the potential to one day be a starter in that system, IMO. Moore makes the team as their #5 WR. He's probably not ever much more than that but he could be a decent player. Nembot is a practice squad guy right now, but with his athletic gifts he could eventually be a starting RT if everything fell right for him. Smith could eventually be in the two deep rotation if he proves himself on special teams. And Ott is a wild card coming off of injury. He and Frank Clark could make quite the tandem behind Bennett at SDE.

Drew Ott - DE, Iowa

8794600.jpg

Ott had 26 TFL, 16 sacks, and 5 FF across the 29 games he started in college. He's always been a strong run defender so he fits Seattle's system as a strong side DE. But in his final two years he also began to flash as a pass rusher, so that might be an area where he could continue to grow and add value. He got hurt early in his senior year, applied for a medical waiver, and the NCAA sat on their decision until two weeks before the draft. So Ott got majorly screwed here. He is way under the radar because he had to sit out the entire draft process. He went through medical checks, where he is apparently getting a green light on his ACL, but had to skip out on all star games, combines, and Iowa's pro day because joining in would have voided his waiver to get an extra year of eligibility at school. So once again the NCAA accomplished exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to stand for, looking out for the best interests of the student-athletes.

Ott shouldn't be available this late. But because of the NCAA dragging their feet, most people don't even know that he's eligible for this draft.
**** I thought He was gone a long time ago

Drew Ott - DE, Iowa

8794600.jpg

Absolutely love this pick, a steal

Early/mid 3rd talent.

Eventually has the talent to be an impact starter. Better Crick.

It was a fruitful endeavor. Thanks to SteelbTexans for extending the invitation. I believe I know more about the players in this year's draft than any draft before as I've never had reason to "look" at most of them. I also dug into the Dolphins & Falcons more than I normally would... even though their needs didn't factor greatly into my selections.

It was fun glad I got to do this with yall. Next year I might try 2 teams if we do it again, didnt like waiting so long between picks lol. Definitely helps give insight to what other teams need, and other players in the draft you might not be aware of.

Hope to see y'all again next yr.

I really enjoy this because it gives my a way to look at how others judge talent.

Also I will be keeping a closer eye on the Pats/Bears draft to see if they agree with me on their weaknesses and who they choose to address these weaknesses.

1-8. Philadelphia - Ezekiel Elloitt, RB Ohio State
3-77. Philadelphia - Xavien Howard, CB, Baylor
3-79. Philadelphia - Javon Hargrave, DT, South Carolina State
4-100. Philadelphia - Scooby Wright, ILB Arizona
5-153. Philadelphia - Cardale Jones – QB, Ohio State
5-164. Philadelphia - Conner McGovern G Missouri
6-188. Philadelphia - Tyvis Powell, S, OSU
7-233. Philadelphia - Tyrone Holmes DE Montana
7-251. Philadelphia - D.J. Hunter - SS - Marshall
7-253. Philadelphia - Derek Watt - FB - Wisconsin

Obviously, my mock lost relevance after the trade with the Browns. But hey, if one of the top QBs had fell to #8, I would have grabbed him.

My goal going into the Eagles draft was to help the defense. Be it by improving the talent of the defensive unit, or by improving the rush offense that would keep it fresh. Elliott would have certainly helped the former. I think he's a rare back that comes into the league proficient in all phases of the game. I feel fortunate Howard was available, as he would be a excellent fit as a press corner in Jim Schwartz's new defense. I think Hargrave could help immediately on passing downs as an interior rusher. I love Wright's production and tenacity, and hope he checks out medically. Jones was to be a QB project for Pederson and new OC Frank Reich to groom. Offensive lineman flew off the board in this mock, and I was happy that I picked up McGovern when I did. My later round picks focused on players that possessed traits that you look for in the backend of the roster: positional flexibility, special teams prowess, athletic upside.

Pats Draft

2. Shon Coleman- Big Powerful guy to help protect Brady, Belichick doesn't ever want to see Brady get beat up like he did last season again.
2. Kenneth Dixon- All around 3 down RB. He's an upgrade over the Lewis/Blount combo of last yr. Good in pass pro and can really catch the football.
3. Nick Vigil- Smart player who is all over the field. He has a chance to be a London Fltcher/Bruschi type guy.
6. Dominique Robertson- Very raw, but has as much talent as any OL in this draft. Huge/Strong with tree branch limbs. This is a guy Scarnecchia will mold into a great player down the line if Robertson wants it bad enough.
6. Marquez North- Big fast downfield talent that Brady has been missing. Really competes for 50-50 balls. Something Brady has really been missing.
6. Tavon Young- good quickness, small but talented, good nickel CB. Upgrades ST's, Good speed.
6. Elandon Roberts- Fast LB and although he is small he will stick his nose in a crowd and find the football. Speed allows Roberts to be good in coverage and be a 7-8 yr contributor on ST's. A true leader and there's value in that.
6. Elijah Shumate- Talented guy who will provide depth at S and upgrade the ST's.
7. Jake Brendel- Tough/Strong guy who is better than Andrews. Adds depth and keeps up my thoughts of keeping Brady from taking the beating he took last yr. Leader of the UCLA line last yr.
7. Stephen Anderson- Gives Brady another weapon, he can get down the seam and gives a different look at TE than Gronk/Marty B do. Anderson is Brady's new Hernandez. (Without the thug/homicide) A steal at this point in the draft.

This draft for the Pats was really lacking. Missing 1st/4th/5th rd picks I went in to this draft trying to do 3 things.

1, Keep Brady better protected than he was last yr. Cloeman/Robertson/Brendel was my attempt at accomplishing this. Coleman has more heart than any OL in this draft. (Coming back from cancer to perform at a high level. Talented Robertson and team leader Brendel) I think I succeeded in my goal.

2. Provide Brady with better weapons. Dixon is a perfect fit in the Pats offense, North is a deep threat that Brady has been missing, Anderson is very underrated.

3. Upgrade LB depth/ST's Vigil is a guy I expect to become a starter ver early in his career. Very heady guy with good movement skils and tough. Roberts upgrades ST's and young has talent and you can never have too many CB's. Good ST's guy. Mission Accomplished.

Thoughts

1-21 Washington - Darren Lee, LB Ohio State
2-53 Washington - Artie Burns, CB Miami
3-84 Washington - Hassan Ridgeway, DT Texas
4-120 Washington - C.J. Prosise, RB Notre Dame
5-158 Washington - Trevor Davis – WR, Cal
6-187 Washington - Travis Feeney , OLB, Washington
7-232 Washington - Jonathan Woodard DE Central Arkansas
7-242 Washington - Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana

Washington was a playoff team in '15, with a solid core. To take the next step, I believe they need more playmakers. Especially on the defensive side of the ball where they ranked 30th in the league.

Going into the mock, I thought a pass rushing defensive lineman would be the best bet at #21. When Lee dropped, I couldn't pass on him. Lee can impact the defense in every phase. Burns is a track star that will benefit from playing football fulltime. He brings speed and ball skills with a Cromartie type potential. Ridgeway has real pass rush potential that was stunted by injury. He eventually could rise to the level of the interior linemen taken in the 1st. Prosise is a 3rd down/change of pace back with long speed. Davis has as much functional speed as anyone in the draft and will earn his keep as a returner as a rookie. Feeney is long, athletic special teamer that profiles as a future nickel LB. Woodard is my super sleeper, small college star with big school metrics and production. Was always going to look for a late round QB for Gruden to work with. Surprised that Sudfeld lasted. Not that toolsy, but look at his production compared to QBs mocked higher.

So far we have only one player picked in same slot but not by team.

1.2 Browns (Say Watt by group) - Carson Wentz, QB North Dakota State

Texanstalk.com Group Picks - vs actual Texan picks, where prospects fell & voting results. Many thanks to The Pencil Neck, Lucky, WolverineFan, bah007 & others for stepping in to make this happen.

1.22 Texans (group) - Andrew Billings, DT Baylor (selected 4th rd. #122) Bengals
1.22 Texans (actual) - Will Fuller, WR Notre Dame

Doctson: (5) - TexansFTW, ThePencilNeck, WolverineFan, thunderkyss, Texian
Lynch: (1) - TexansSeminole
Billings: (10) - Marshall, bah007, JB, Shiskabob, Mollywhopper, Infantrycak, PapaL, mussop, steelbtexan, Say_Watt
Kelly: (1) - Lucky
Fuller: (2) - Beerlover, austins23

2-52 Houston (group) - Will Fuller, WR Notre Dame
2-50 Texans (actual) - Nick Martin, C Notre Dame
3-69 Jacksonville (WolverineFan) - Nick Martin, C Notre Dame

OT Shon Coleman (4) - Mollywhopper, Texian, The Pencil Neck, austins23
WR Will Fuller (6) - beerlover, Marshall, steelbtexan, TexansSeminole, SayWatt, srrono
WR Braxton Miller (3) - Lucky, thunderkyss, Shishkabob
WR Sterling Shepard (5) - bah007, infantrycak, mussop, WolverineFan, PapaL

3-85 Houston (Group) - Jihad Ward, DE Illinois (selected 2nd rd. #44) Raiders
3.85 Texans (actual) - Braxton Miller, WR Ohio State
3-65 Cleveland (Say Watt) - Braxton Miller, WR Ohio State

TE Jerrell Adams (1) - TexansFTW
TE Tyler Higbee (2) - Say Watt, Thunderkyss
OT Joe Haeg (1) - TexansSeminole
C Jack Allen (1) - austins23
DE Carl Nassib (4) - Lucky, mussop, Texian, The Pencil Neck
DE Jihad Ward (7) - bah007, beerlover, infantrycak, JB, Marshall, Shishkabob, Mollywhopper
S K.J. Dillon (1) - WolverineFan

4-119 Texans (group) - Joe Dahl, OG/OC, Washington State (selected 5th rd. #151) Lions
4.119 Texans (actual) - Tyler Ervin, RB/Ret, San Jose State
5.144 Denver (infantrycak) - Tyler Ervin, RB St. Jose St.

TE Nick Vannett (2) - Fred, thunderkyss
OT Caleb Benenoch (1) - steelbtexan
OT Fahn Cooper (1) - Texian
OG Joe Dahl (2) - TexansFTW, WolverineFan
OG Rees Odhiambo (1) - Lucky
C Austin Blythe (2) - bah007, infantrycak
C Max Tuerk (3) - beerlover, JB, The Pencil Neck
S K.J. Dillon (1) - Mollywhopper

5.159 Texans (group) - Justin Simmons, S Boston College (selected 3rd rd. #98) Broncos
5.159 Texans (actual) - KJ Dillon, S West Virginia

Justin Simmons - 6 (WolverineFan, beerlover, JB, bah 007, TexansFTW, PapaL)
Ka'imi Fairbairn - 4 (Lucky, steelbtexan, infantrycak, Shishkabob)
Aaron Burbridge - 1 (TexansSeminole)
DeAndre Houston-Carson - 1 (Mollywhopper)
Kalan Reed - 1 (thunderkyss)
Connor McGovern - 1 (Marshall)

5-166. Houston (group) - Ka'imi Fairbairn - K, UCLA (picked up as undrafted free agent by Texans)
5.166 Texans (actual) - D.J. Reader, DT, Clemson
4-137. Green Bay (blake) - D.J. Reader - DT, Clemson

8 votes for Fairbairn - might as well call it.

Last edited:
Can't believe Kalan Reed is this year's Mr. Irrelevant..... & that the Titans got him.

Did anyone realize that we signed John Christian Ka'iminoeauloameka'ikeokekumupa'a Fairbairn

as an UDFA? Pretty stoked! We actually mock drafted that jabroni to the Texans in our 7 round mock. Good stuff.

Are we doing this thing again this year?

On the plus side we didn't even start sign-ups until the end of March last year.

On the negative side we had to limp to the finish due to low numbers and people going MIA in the latter rounds.

So, we'd be ahead of schedule but still up against the pain in the neck aspect.
Maybe we've had enough new folks roll in this year to keep things hopping?

Show of hands, new and old, folks care to take this bad boy on again?

I'm game if ya'll are.

What happened to the numbers? Is there less people in this board than last year? I brought a new guy in last year and he was active all 7 rounds (his team only had 6 rounds of picks though).

I don't mind the group picks either, I would say give less time to vote on them however. If each pick is 4 hours give only 1-2 additional hours for someone to make a case for group picks and vote on it and take the highest vote from who has voted.

I feel like a lot of yall give me real good info and insight to players, then actually studying them for this event really gives me a foundation for players for years to come, it even rolls over well into fantasy football for me, which is my true love.

Back