Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Sign Ahman Green

well like i said before i think with green you don't have to draft a RB anymore...you can wait and get some of the better udfa's like a ramonce taylor or a courtney lewis...we already have two really young guys in taylor and lundry...gado isn't old by any means either...if we do re-sign dayne there's your powerback...and then you have the egnima of dominack williams...personally i see dw being released either before the draft or during training camp...but we have really good competition without drafting a guy going into TC...so why waste a pick on a RB when we have so many needs on this team...green provides a quick fix to the problem and we can look to next years crop of RB's for our future

I am thinking long term here. A quick fix is ok for now, but what if Green blows a knee, we are back at square one. Stuck with a below avg. runing game. We need to draft a young stud in case that were to happen. We seriously need to forget about Dayne. He did not impress me and has not impressed me since he came into the league. He is just not a very dependable back. Seems to wear down during the game and as far as Gado, he has not done anything to impress me either. Had a couple of good games in Green Bay and thats about it. Taylor has some potential and i honestly dont see Lundy as a starter in this league for any team. That is why i say we need to be realistic and draft Peterson if there or take Lynch. I would be more than happy with either one of these backs. We needed a back last yr and went with the defense, which is cool. Guess what we still need a back this yr. and i do hope they do the right thing and take the best back available. Don't want to have to need a back again next yr. Problem could be takin care of this yr.

Does nobody remember our RB splitting out to WR during the season? Oh yeah, except for the fact that we never had one who could catch? Green is a LEGIT receiving option, especially on the screens. His being 30 years old means NOTHING to us for the next 2 years. After that, he becomes a 3rd down back and restructures.

Why are people whining about this signing? People are arguing against Green with Dayne. Well, what if we resign Dayne? Both in the backfield and then Green may split out? Maybe we sign Chris Brown?

I don't think we overpaid for green at all. He'll see 2 years of this contract at this rate. Plus, has there been ONE SINGLE TEAM that hasn't overpaid yet?

***Did anyone see that freaking Cowboys deal for Davis?*** OMG!!! :secret:

Does nobody remember our RB splitting out to WR during the season? Oh yeah, except for the fact that we never had one who could catch? Green is a LEGIT receiving option, especially on the screens. His being 30 years old means NOTHING to us for the next 2 years. After that, he becomes a 3rd down back and restructures.

Why are people whining about this signing? People are arguing against Green with Dayne. Well, what if we resign Dayne? Both in the backfield and then Green may split out? Maybe we sign Chris Brown?

I don't think we overpaid for green at all. He'll see 2 years of this contract at this rate. Plus, has there been ONE SINGLE TEAM that hasn't overpaid yet?

***Did anyone see that freaking Cowboys deal for Davis?*** OMG!!! :secret:

yep if anyone should be freaking out about overpaying it should be over that mammoth contract. Clayton and Salisbury are still pissed we didn't take Bush.

I am thinking long term here. A quick fix is ok for now, but what if Green blows a knee, we are back at square one. Stuck with a below avg. runing game. We need to draft a young stud in case that were to happen. We seriously need to forget about Dayne. He did not impress me and has not impressed me since he came into the league. He is just not a very dependable back. Seems to wear down during the game and as far as Gado, he has not done anything to impress me either. Had a couple of good games in Green Bay and thats about it. Taylor has some potential and i honestly dont see Lundy as a starter in this league for any team. That is why i say we need to be realistic and draft Peterson if there or take Lynch. I would be more than happy with either one of these backs. We needed a back last yr and went with the defense, which is cool. Guess what we still need a back this yr. and i do hope they do the right thing and take the best back available. Don't want to have to need a back again next yr. Problem could be takin care of this yr.

What if we draft AP or Lynch and they blow their knee out in the first game? Just because a guy is younger doesn't make him impervious to injury. Just means your what...30-40 million dollar back is on the shelf for a while and we're back to what we had this year.

Again i hate to try and beat this into you guys head but McFadden, Slaton and Ray Rice should be available in next years draft if you're hell bent oan first round RB.

Big Mistake. Ag Is Done. Everyone Is Writing Dw Off, But I Know Him Personally And I Know He Will Be Back. His Knee Will Be Just Find. If We Cut Him He Will Play Somewhere Else And Come Back To Bite Us In The Butt.

if you were 26, i'd accuse you of being DW and demand five bucks.

Yeah, John Clayton thinks we over paid him. But what free agent doesn't get over paid?
I hope he also thinks that the Jags are losers since they re-upped Fred Taylor for the same total amount, and he is a year older and has more carries than Green for his career.

I like the signning and what it brings to the team

Green--every down back

Dayne--big bruiser and short yardage back, also a back to pound it and wear out the DL late in the game

Taylor--change of pace back that brings brings quickness to the RB position

Lundy--fills in if anyone gets hurt

DW--?

I like this backfield as compared to not having Green in the mix

Big Mistake. Ag Is Done. Everyone Is Writing Dw Off, But I Know Him Personally And I Know He Will Be Back. His Knee Will Be Just Find. If We Cut Him He Will Play Somewhere Else And Come Back To Bite Us In The Butt.

Dw? I suppose you're talking about the football player formally known as Dominique Davis? Not much of a reason he shouldn't of played a little bit last year even if it was towards the end of the season just to show that he had the ability. Would make a lot of people feel more compfy w/ the decision to keep him. To have a player on your pay roll all year long and not utilize him is horrible. Honestly I think they won't cut him b/c they do feel he's still got alot to offer, we'll just have to wait and see.

Moneywise, and not playing, he's biting our butt already...

No Packer fan will say anything critical of Green.

The Texans will go for it on 4th down a lot more. Sherman knows Green can always get 2 yards even without blocking.

Green's longest run from scrimmage last year was a 72 yard TD against Miami.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12404

I'm still upset over getting moron Morency in exchange for Samkon Gado. What a rip off.

If you are a betting man bet on Green to exceed 1500 total yards from scrimmage.

One thing that does not show up in the stats is Green as a decoy drawing multiple defenders when the ball goes to somone else.

Carr's stats will improve a great deal. Green on the screen pass and shovel pass ought to really help Carr.

It boils down to the Texans betting this is a good deal and the Packers betting it isn't. No one knows which is correct until 2009.

With Green, the Packers have had only one losing season. Well, with Brett Favre the Packers have had only one losing season.

Personally, spending the money on the O-line is a better investment.

See you for the game in Green Bay in 2008.
I hope former Packers Batman(Green), Samkon, Mike Sherman, Mike Flanagan, Brad Bedell, Atlas Herrion, and Ben Steele are still with you then.

I think this a good signing - better production than DW over his career - pro bowl rB with experience running the offense were using, gives time for the kids [Lundy - Taylor] to develop and learn the system from a good veteran RB while the old men [Green & Dayne] move the chains.

Good signing - hope he stays healthy and has some rejuvenated years with Kubes, Sherman & co.

I think it will be good overall. It's not the flashiest signing, but Green will open things up for Carr, which was the impetus of the offseason. I also agree that the Texans will probably spend money on linemen now, which they need to do.

We will see about this, i certainly hope he's still got it in the tank. In all honesty though is this seriously the first position on the team that we should be worrying about. We still havent done anything to the O LINE!!!!! I just heard that Ramsey is coming to town WTF! is the front office doing. There are plenty other players out there at positions that are a much a bigger issue than this garbage.

i think the funniest thing about this signing is all the whinning i keep hearing on the radio...790am did nothing this morning but bash the texans for signing a 30 yr old runningback and not paying leonard davis 50 mil to come here...the guys on 610am were better but all the "fans" that call in saying the texans are stupid for not davis to help carr out is just silly...davis has never played up to anywhere close to a 50 mil contract and he doesn't even fit the scheme that we have here in houston...we need quicker o-lineman and davis is anything but quick

good job smith keep the guys coming in

i think the funniest thing about this signing is all the whinning i keep hearing on the radio...790am did nothing this morning but bash the texans for signing a 30 yr old runningback and not paying leonard davis 50 mil to come here...the guys on 610am were better but all the "fans" that call in saying the texans are stupid for not davis to help carr out is just silly...davis has never played up to anywhere close to a 50 mil contract and he doesn't even fit the scheme that we have here in houston...we need quicker o-lineman and davis is anything but quick

Wow, they're smart. Davis is vastly overpaid. He couldn't play LT so they switched him to RT..that didnt work so they tried LG and RG and he finally went back to LT. he's extremely overrated and would have been a horrible fit in Houston.

I hate how we get bashed no matter what we do. What else were we supposed to do? Sign Henry...who's much more injury prone? Trade up for Peterson?? That'd be dumb. Select Lynch at 8? reach. Green adds veteran leadership in our locker room, something we rarely have any more. Is he our long term solution?? No. but not every single pick up can be.

I'm convince 790 puts the following in employee contracts:

Sports Radio callers are the whiniest and most uninformed bunch. You must cater to them or you will be terminated. This includes, but is not limited to:

1. Mentioning that Carr needs to be fired every 5 minutes.
2. Requesting callers call in to mention that Carr needs to be fired.
3. Remind the listening audience that your middle school had a better administration.
4. Requesting callers call in to mention their middle school had a better administration.
5. Every move that the Texans make is stupid. Let the callers know.
6. Any player, coach, or other staff member who has not made it to the Super Bowl within one year is a FAILURE.
7. Make sure to include a general theme that the Texans suck, are doomed, and will never have a winning season.

Regards,
The Management

We will see about this, i certainly hope he's still got it in the tank. In all honesty though is this seriously the first position on the team that we should be worrying about. We still havent done anything to the O LINE!!!!! I just heard that Ramsey is coming to town WTF! is the front office doing. There are plenty other players out there at positions that are a much a bigger issue than this garbage.

If Green can be a solid primary back, we have 50 other backs to be secondary backs :)

Further, adressing this problem now leaves room in the draft for other issues, such as O-Line.

I think I understand what the Texans are doing with this signing...

We have three young backs in Gado, Lundy, and Taylor...I think that the signing of Ahman Green still gives those guys a chance to step up and prove they can be franchise backs....

That's why I doubt that they take Levi Jones with the #8 overall...If we draft O-lineman early I look for it to be a center....And if we take tackles or Gaurds, I don't expect they'll come before the third rd...I think they want to give Spencer a chance to be our franchise LT...

Honestly I'd rather the Texans build the defense up first anyway...Let's be geat at something rather than o.k at everything...I'm not too concerned about getting a franchise back just yet because I don't think we're ready for one...I'd rather have a back in his prime when we are making the play-offs year after year rather than having a great back on a bad team...RB's don't last long in comparison to other positions so I guess it makes sense???.....

I think it will be good overall. It's not the flashiest signing, but Green will open things up for Carr, which was the impetus of the offseason. I also agree that the Texans will probably spend money on linemen now, which they need to do.

When you say open things up for Carr, are you referring to the passing game or the exit door?

I think I understand what the Texans are doing with this signing...

We have three young backs in Gado, Lundy, and Taylor...I think that the signing of Ahman Green still gives those guys a chance to step up and prove they can be franchise backs....

That's why I doubt that they take Levi Jones with the #8 overall...If we draft O-lineman early I look for it to be a center....And if we take tackles or Gaurds, I don't expect they'll come before the third rd...I think they want to give Spencer a chance to be our franchise LT...

Honestly I'd rather the Texans build the defense up first anyway...Let's be geat at something rather than o.k at everything...I'm not too concerned about getting a franchise back just yet because I don't think we're ready for one...I'd rather have a back in his prime when we are making the play-offs year after year rather than having a great back on a bad team...RB's don't last long in comparison to other positions so I guess it makes sense???.....

I tend to agree... the RBs can stand to learn from Green.

Taylor: Biggest knock is hanging onto the ball, which Green battled in his career early and learned to adjust and has done a solid job holding onto the ball (thus the rubber/neoprene arm bands to prevent sweat from getting on the ball).

Lundy: Probably just a little inexperienced at always finding the hole, needs some time and needs to be a better blocking back. Seems like Lundy is a similar style back to Green and could learn a lot about technique etc from a veteran. To me, Dayne isn't a role model... more of a roll.

I'd be ok taking a tackle, but think that we need to find a way to get Ryan Kalil C to address the center situation in the long term. That is a glaring hole, and I don't understand a few things (1) AP won't fall to #8 but everyone keeps thinking that we can pick him up there... (2) Pick a RB in the first round, but from a holes standpoint... we need to address depth in the secondary and Landry could be a fixture. I would hate to stretch like the Bills in the past and draft someone that wasn't the best value.

we need to address depth in the secondary and Landry could be a fixture. I would hate to stretch like the Bills in the past and draft someone that wasn't the best value.

Right now I'm at the point to where I either want Quinn or Landry.

I'm not really interested in anyone else outside of that at eight.

Something else they could do is trade down if Quinn falls and make a killing off of someone...

I think just about everyone here so far has missed one of the greatest aspects of Greens game is.....BLOCKING. He's one of the better blocking running backs in the league, something that is greatly needed on a team. Nothing wrong with this signing especially considering if we sign Dayne back again. Dayne finished pretty strong in my book. Gado is probably gone at this point. Say goodbye to Dominick as well.

Back