Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans Sign Ahman Green

i like the signing... hopefully he can stay healthy. if he runs anywhere near the way he did in '04, then we got a real gem.

Good deal, hopefully he can stay healthy and it is pretty much the writing on the wall for Dominick

--on a side note, almost $50 million for Leonard Davis??? bwahahaha good ole Cowgirls

Awesome. Not a great running back anymore but I think he can still be a quality one. Dayne/Taylor should be good backups as well I think.

good deal...i think he's a guy who at the very least can teach some of our younger RB's how to be a pro back in this league...there is something to say about the leadership of a veteran player like green...he knows his days of being "the guy" are over...as he mentioned in his interview posted on the texans main webpage he can be a guy in the running game...you add him with taylor, gado, and lundy...possibly williams and dayne and this makes for a good competitive training camp battle for the top 3 runningbacks on this team...it also allows us to focus on other positions in the draft...obviously the team knows that adrain is not falling to the 8th spot...they probably don't want to go into the draft needing to draft marshawn lynch...so now they can go into the draft thinking we still need a #2 WR (ginn jr.), a FS (landry), etc and focus on getting this team better

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4601378.html

The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahmad Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $22 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

Green has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL for the past seven years.
The former Nebraska running back enjoyed his five best seasons (2000-2004) when Mike Sherman was the Packers head coach. During that period, he never rushed for fewer than 1,163 yards. HIs best season was 2003 when he rushed 1,883 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.
Green immediately becomes the starter, from a group that includes Wally Lundy, Chris Taylor and Samkon Gado
The Texans are trying to resign Ron Dayne.
Green, a no 1. pick by Seattle in 1998, is a ten-year veteran, who rushed for 1,059 yards and scored six touchdowns last season.

very good signing. solid veteran who can really surprise people. 1000-yard potential. and if you get adrian peterson somehow....that's a backfield to fear.

All I know is that its a step in the right direction and A LOT better than everyone we had last year! :yahoo:

I dunno the value of a 30 year old running back. IMO, we overpaid.

6.5 million guaranteed is not much, IMO... If we dump him after 2 seasons, he will only count 3.25 million against the cap in 2009... Especially in this year's market, I think we did well if that number is right.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/4601378.html

The Texans have reached an agreement with their first free agent Green Bay running back Ahmad Green.

Green, 30, is signing a four-year contract worth $22 million, including $6.5 million in guarantees.

Green has been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL for the past seven years.
The former Nebraska running back enjoyed his five best seasons (2000-2004) when Mike Sherman was the Packers head coach. During that period, he never rushed for fewer than 1,163 yards. HIs best season was 2003 when he rushed 1,883 yards and scored 20 touchdowns.
Green immediately becomes the starter, from a group that includes Wally Lundy, Chris Taylor and Samkon Gado
The Texans are trying to resign Ron Dayne.
Green, a no 1. pick by Seattle in 1998, is a ten-year veteran, who rushed for 1,059 yards and scored six touchdowns last season.

what??? 4 years??? u gotta be kidding me

you have to figure this guy's best quality will be his ability to pass protect for the QB in the 3rd down situations...unlike a lot of the backs we had last year not one of them was an everydown player...green is...with DW status in serious question this was a good signing...and you're right...there is no way he sees all of this contract like every other player...but with the everything that's in place here this was a good way to start the offseason

hopefully he has another thousand yard season left in him:marionaner:

My guess is that they see him as a 200 carry back at this point in his career. I expect him to average about 15 carries a game, come out of the game on short yardage, and also the occasional series in order to get one of the younger guys some work. At that pace, I expect to get 2 very good years out of him.

Good solid signing. If he can stay healthy we should have an above average running game. I would've prefered Travis Henry but I'm not going to complain to much. Hopefully Green will bring some continuity, some big play ability with him. As we all know that this offense needs to have a good running game in order for all the passing stuff to work. Specially the play action bootleg plays.

what??? 4 years??? u gotta be kidding me

It's four years in order to spread out the signing bonus cap hit. Nobody expects him to fulfill all four years- we're looking at 2, possibly 3, depending on how the salary escalates in the third year.

the important number is this: if we cut him after year 2 his cap hit is : 3.25m;
if we cut him after year 4 his cap hit is : 1.6million

Pretty darn good!

After all, the Cowboys just signed Leonard Davis to a $50 million contract with about $20 million guaranteed! Ridiculous!

Good solid signing. If he can stay healthy we should have an above average running game. I would've prefered Travis Henry but I'm not going to complain to much. Hopefully Green will bring some continuity, some big play ability with him. As we all know that this offense needs to have a good running game in order for all the passing stuff to work. Specially the play action bootleg plays.

I agree. Despite some injuries I think he still has alot left in the tank and considering he hasn't been completely full time the last couple of years with the injuries, etc I think he has some good years left. I mean I thought an injury waiting to happen like Fred Taylor was done a couple of years back and he has still surprised.

I like the contract, it reeks of common sense.

The signing itself, that I am not so sure of. If it means we aren't thinking of taking AD and will solidify other areas of the team, that I can live with.

This is great news, puts the pressure of needing to draft a RB off a little bit.

Now we need to concentrate on building our lines.

To me, this means we will NOT be drafting an RB in the 1st round regardless if AP is on the board or not. 2nd round and beyond is a possibility; i.e. M.Bush in the second would be my choice. We have some very good options for that #8 pick.

It's four years in order to spread out the signing bonus cap hit. Nobody expects him to fulfill all four years- we're looking at 2, possibly 3, depending on how the salary escalates in the third year.

the important number is this: if we cut him after year 2 his cap hit is : 3.25m;
if we cut him after year 4 his cap hit is : 1.6million

Pretty darn good!

After all, the Cowboys just signed Leonard Davis to a $50 million contract with about $20 million guaranteed! Ridiculous!

allright making sence... so im guessing this we wont be drafting a running back so maybe we can focus on finding moulds replacement... how far under the cap does this signing put us

6.5 million guaranteed is not much, IMO... If we dump him after 2 seasons, he will only count 3.25 million against the cap in 2009... Especially in this year's market, I think we did well if that number is right.

Good move by the Texans. I agree, not that much money. Contract terms look about right. Hopefully he has some gas left in the tank. 30 is almost elderly for running backs.

To me, this means we will NOT be drafting an RB in the 1st round regardless if AP is on the board or not. 2nd round and beyond is a possibility; i.e. M.Bush in the second would be my choice. We have some very good options for that #8 pick.

I still think if he(AP) is there you take him and set up a situation like N.O. where you have the old and youing still splitting and going strong. But it definitely opens up the possibilities.

From Y2K thru '04, Green averaged a 20 yard+ rush every 30 carries. In the past 2 seasons, Green has had a 20 yard+ run every 114th attempt. Will Ahman put the big play into the Texans rushing attack? Depends on which Ahman shows up. One consistent part of Green's game is that he's always been a productive receiver out of the backfield.

From Y2K thru '04, Green averaged a 20 yard+ rush every 30 carries. In the past 2 seasons, Green has had a 20 yard+ run every 114th attempt. Will Ahman put the big play into the Texans rushing attack? Depends on which Ahman shows up. One consistent part of Green's game is that he's always been a productive receiver out of the backfield.

I don't doubt that Green is not what he was 3 years ago, but there is another factor that impacted those numbers. After the '04 season, GB lost most of their starting OL. It went from being one of the best in the NFL, to being one of the worst in '05. That probably had something to do with his limited production as well as mileage on his body.

Back