Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

9 home games, 8 away, all but one starting at noon on Sunday. A good schedule to work with for the new coaching staff.
Too my mind, this is a very friendly schedule with no disruptive overseas trips and a consistent start time and that should help the rookies settle in.
Baltimore first up will be a bear but other than that, you couldn't expect much more.
Of course there are plenty of good teams ahead, but you gotta play against the big boys if you want to advance.
Can't wait for the preseason to get a bit of an idea.

Great. Now when they're good enough to play under the lights and have the spotlight on them, they won't be prepared for it.

Kidding. It's a freaking schedule. You prepare for and play who's on it just like the other team does.

Too my mind, this is a very friendly schedule with no disruptive overseas trips and a consistent start time and that should help the rookies settle in.
Baltimore first up will be a bear but other than that, you couldn't expect much more.
Of course there are plenty of good teams ahead, but you gotta play against the big boys if you want to advance.
Can't wait for the preseason to get a bit of an idea.

I haven't been this excited for a new season since the Kubiak era. I don't expect them to win a lot of games, but I do expect to see improvement, most especially on the defensive side.

This team has good potential for the future.

Strange. A personal opinion.........but this isn't exactly a good look. Too much on his plate? Leaves too many questions in people's minds (maybe entirely unfounded, but still so)..........why he can't simply wave to the camera and say a couple of words and answer a couple of questions.

C.J. Stroud not speaking at Texans rookie minicamp is departure from predecessors

May 12, 2023 2:47 pm CT

Three other rookie quarterbacks are going to talk this weekend at their teams’ rookie minicamps.

Carolina Panthers quarterback Bryce Young will share his insights into his baby steps into the NFL. Anthony Richardson will speak about his experience joining the Indianapolis Colts. Even Will Levis will have some words even though the Tennessee Titans are probably going to keep Ryan Tannehill under center.

The Houston Texans and C.J. Stroud are different, and coach DeMeco Ryans told reporters that the team has, “other players that we drafted.”

“C.J. is not the only player that we drafted,” Ryans said with his disarming smile. “We’ve got multiple guys we drafted. We want to let you guys talk to all these guys, and C.J. will be able throughout the spring, later in the spring, also in training camp, so he will be available. Hold your horses, brother.”

It makes sense Stroud has a lot to deal with as the first-round quarterback with the expectations of the entire franchise upon him.

While the Texans may have their reasons for keeping Stroud shrouded, it represents a departure from the way the organization has operated while having a highly touted rookie quarterback.

In 2017, the Texans had another acclaimed field general in their midst. Houston traded with the Cleveland Browns to take the Clemson product No. 12 overall, and gave up some capital to take the two-time Davey O’Brien Award winner.

The Texans didn’t withhold the first-rounder from comment. Bill O’Brien wasn’t keeping him fresh for a presser sometime later in the spring.

The new face of the franchise spoke, and it was some of the typical fare one would expect.

“It’s going to take the hard work and the grind,” he said. “You can expect a lot of stuff and want to be great, want to be successful, especially early, but it’s a process. It’s not going to happen overnight. It’s going to take long nights, early mornings to be able to put in the work and to get what you need to get in to be successful on the field.”

But he spoke.

Whether a rookie talks or doesn’t during minicamp has no impact on games, but it does show that there is a recognizable change in how the organization operates.

Strange. A personal opinion.........but this isn't exactly a good look. Too much on his plate? Leaves too many questions in people's minds (maybe entirely unfounded, but still so)..........why he can't simply wave to the camera and say a couple of words and answer a couple of questions.

C.J. Stroud not speaking at Texans rookie minicamp is departure from predecessors

Three other rookie quarterbacks are going to talk this weekend at their teams’ rookie minicamps.

Carolina Panthers quarterback Bryce Young will share his insights into his baby steps into the NFL. Anthony Richardson will speak about his experience joining the Indianapolis Colts. Even Will Levis will have some words even though the Tennessee Titans are probably going to keep Ryan Tannehill under center.

The Houston Texans and C.J. Stroud are different, and coach DeMeco Ryans told reporters that the team has, “other players that we drafted.”

“C.J. is not the only player that we drafted,” Ryans said with his disarming smile. “We’ve got multiple guys we drafted. We want to let you guys talk to all these guys, and C.J. will be able throughout the spring, later in the spring, also in training camp, so he will be available. Hold your horses, brother.”

It makes sense Stroud has a lot to deal with as the first-round quarterback with the expectations of the entire franchise upon him.

While the Texans may have their reasons for keeping Stroud shrouded, it represents a departure from the way the organization has operated while having a highly touted rookie quarterback.

In 2017, the Texans had another acclaimed field general in their midst. Houston traded with the Cleveland Browns to take the Clemson product No. 12 overall, and gave up some capital to take the two-time Davey O’Brien Award winner.

The Texans didn’t withhold the first-rounder from comment. Bill O’Brien wasn’t keeping him fresh for a presser sometime later in the spring.

The new face of the franchise spoke, and it was some of the typical fare one would expect.

“It’s going to take the hard work and the grind,” he said. “You can expect a lot of stuff and want to be great, want to be successful, especially early, but it’s a process. It’s not going to happen overnight. It’s going to take long nights, early mornings to be able to put in the work and to get what you need to get in to be successful on the field.”

But he spoke.

Whether a rookie talks or doesn’t during minicamp has no impact on games, but it does show that there is a recognizable change in how the organization operates.

Is it because he hasn’t signed a contract yet and his agent is advising him not to speak?

Because he didn’t have a problem speaking and answering questions when drafted…

I think recognizable change in this organization is good thing.

Fairly certain that Young will be asked 1,000,000,000 times in his press conference if he thinks his size will be a detriment.
Should be very informative to his fans.

Can only guess what the most asked question to Levis will be?

:coffee:

I think this shows leadership on Stroud's part to not hog the limelight. Stroud will get all the media attention he can handle. This may be the only time some of these rookies get a chance in front of the cameras.

But if you're looking for something negative on Stroud...I guess you can find it.

Last edited:
Is it because he hasn’t signed a contract yet and his agent is advising him not to speak?

Because he didn’t have a problem speaking and answering questions when drafted…
Honestly that doesn't make sense. Evidently, the other rookie QBs and their agents have have no problems with the same.

Honestly that doesn't make sense. Evidently, the other rookie QBs and their agents have have no problems with the same.

Do the other QBs have Mulugheta as their agent? And is Mulugheta’s stance one that until his player is paid that he won’t do anything more than franchise? The Texans having a press event with him could generate more ticket sales even though he isn’t under contract.

I think this shows leadership on Stroud's part to not hog the limelight. Stroud will get all the media attention he can handle. This may be the only time some of these rookies get a chance in front of the cameras.

But if you're looking for something negative on Stroud...I gues you can find it.
Please stop making my statement sound like it's part of a witch hunt. Other teams also have have other rookie draftees besides their top draftee. The question I posed is legitimate. I was very clear that the questions behind this move may indeed be entirely unfounded. But it unnecessarily leaves unanswered questions.

Please stop making my statement sound like it's part of a witch hunt.
I am sorry, but that's how I read your post. As ambiguous as you tried to make it. You also criticized Stroud's short video with Snoop Dogg. Someone that had a major effect on Stroud's life, in a positive way.

I think Coach Ryans made the reasoning for Stroud's silence perfectly clear. Not ambiguous, really.

Please stop making my statement sound like it's part of a witch hunt. Other teams also have have other rookie draftees besides their top draftee. The question I posed is legitimate. I was very clear that the questions behind this move may indeed be entirely unfounded. But it unnecessarily leaves unanswered questions.

Are people asking unanswered questions? That because other QBs do it therefore there must be an issue with Stroud if he doesn't? This was your position, yet even the article you posted doesn't say much more than the Texans are doing something different.

You literally asked the question and then presented a negative connotation as to a possible why. And like Steel, you are a outspoken critic of his character and relationships. Perfectly acceptable to assume ill intent on your part.

Are people asking unanswered questions? That because other QBs do it therefore there must be an issue with Stroud if he doesn't? This was your position, yet even the article you posted doesn't say much more than the Texans are doing something different.

You literally asked the question and then presented a negative connotation as to a possible why. And like Steel, you are a outspoken critic of his character and relationships. Perfectly acceptable to assume ill intent on your part.
Read it again. I essentially said it could possibly leave a negative connotation. But if anyone chooses to make more of my post, so be it.

Strange. A personal opinion.........but this isn't exactly a good look. Too much on his plate?

Read it again. I essentially said it could possibly leave a negative connotation. But if anyone chooses to make more of my post, so be it.

This is what I was referring to from your original post. I am not sure what the implication was of this question, but the inference is obvious.

This is what I was referring to from your original post. I am not sure what the implication was of this question, but the inference is obvious.
My post was simply that one of the inferences that COULD be made. I find it more interesting what motivation is underlying the need for such strong defense of Stroud, when none is needed based on my post.

But he spoke.

Hmm...I wonder if there is some "old school" thinking involved in DR's method here?

So I just copied a post from another thread. It posted right above yours. John McClain is on 610 railing against Caserio for this decision.
It was Caserio's decision to withhold Stroud & Dell from the media.
To make it very clear (so there is no misinterpretation), I have no idea who made that decision. But all of a sudden are we now to empirically believe McClain's report. He's not exactly been the bastion of valid information in the recent past.

To make it very clear (so there is no misinterpretation), I have no idea who made that decision. But all of a sudden are we now to empirically believe McClain's report. He's not exactly been the bastion of valid information in the recent past.

to make it very clear, so there is no misinterpretation, my initial response to your post was

The article makes it sound like a team decision, not the player’s or his agent.
Quoting your post
While the Texans may have their reasons for keeping Stroud shrouded,

the McClain report was brought in from another thread. It was posted days before your post & only used to substantiate what the article you posted said. It was the team’s decision.

Let's forget about Stroud. Why Dell? And why not Anderson? Or for that matter, our 2nd round pick, Juice Scruggs? Dell was our 3rd round selection. Why single him out?
Good question. I don’t know. But you’re the only one concerned that Dell isn’t allowed to speak to the media

Texans DE Will Anderson not committed to jersey No. 51

May 13, 2023 2:43 pm CT

When the Houston Texans picked C.J. Stroud No. 2 overall in the 2023 NFL draft, smart money said the quarterback would keep his No. 7 jersey number and kicker Ka’imi Fairbairn would more than likely switch to another number.

However, Will Anderson wasn’t able to have the incumbent sporting his college No. 31 — running back Dameon Pierce — make the same gesture. The No. 3 overall defensive end has been wearing No. 51 throughout the Texans’ rookie minicamp May 12-13.

The former Alabama product told reporters Saturday he isn’t particularly married to the jersey number.

“Yeah, really just the number they gave me right now for rookie minicamp,” Anderson said. “I mean, just being at Alabama and them giving me the No. 31, my coach told me just make a name out of it. So if 51 decides to stay here, I’m going to do my best to make a name and just be me. Numbers really don’t matter to me.”

There will be another opportunity for Anderson to switch numbers in case they do start to mean more to him. At the end of preseason, Houston will have to finalize their 53-man roster, and in doing so, more numbers that he may like will be available to choose from.

The last Texans player to wear No. 51 was linebacker Kamu Grugier-Hill, who played 20 games with Houston from 2021-22.

Back