Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Gorillas have opposable thumbs on both their hands and feet making swinging a golf club easy. I'm surprised we don't see more of them on PGA tours.
Does Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Mallet and Savage remind you Taylor, Finley and Mills?

Is it a Belichick clerk kind of thing?

Seeing how Pep Hamilton orchestrated the Davis and Collins draft picks, is Pep really the GM?

Seeing how Texans OC Tim Kelly is from the Pats Earhardt-Perkins offense school and Culley and Hamilton careers have been with WCO and ZBS teams, are the Texans putting square pegs into round holes?

Last edited:
Does Fitzpatrick, Hoyer, Mallet and Savage remind you Taylor, Finley and Davis?

It's a Belichick clerk kind of thing.

They are all indicative of a team that has problems with QB selections. A problem a lot of NFL teams have. In our particular case, at the present, it's probably the best we can do right now. I don't think our "future QB" is on the team yet. And our ex-"future QB" only lasted a few years.

They are all indicative of a team that has problems with QB selections. A problem a lot of NFL teams have. In our particular case, at the present, it's probably the best we can do right now. I don't think our "future QB" is on the team yet. And our ex-"future QB" only lasted a few years.
I added two questions via the edit process.

Time will tell

I'm just happy Caserio swung for the fence and hope he keeps swinging until he finds his QB.

That's one opinion.

If I were an NFL owner I would like to have an informed opinion of how my GM performed in the draft. When the last pick is in I want to be able to assess my GM.

That opinion should be based on known information at that time.

Christian Ponder was taken in the first round, but didn't play up to a first round selection. The team needed a QB.

In truth the GM probably didn't give him a first round grade but knew he'd have to take him in the first to be sure they get him.

If I'm the owner & agree there's a huge drop off between CP & the next guy I'd give him an A at the time of the draft for getting the QB.

A year later, I'm seeing guys like Dalton & Kaepernick performing at a high level, then I will call my GM on his talent evaluation.

Two years later I'm seeing Tyrod Taylor & TJ Yates looking every bit as good as Ponder, I'm looking at my coaching staff & sternly asking them WTF!!
You really made your own point to why a GM should not take a player in the 1st round if YOUR team doesn't have a 1st round grade on him.

I'm not blaming my coaching staff because Ponder cant play.

That's directly on the GM/His Scouts. If I'm an owner a GM gets to pick his franchise QB once, maybe twice depending on the circumstances. If the GM/HC keeps missing on rd 2-4 picks for 5 yrs like RS did I'm firing everybody including GM/HC/Scouts etc... because they've proven they cant get the job done and it's housecleaning time. I gave BOB a break in this regard because of how bad RS was at his job. BOB proved to be worse than RS and that takes some doing.

As bad as RS was as GM... emperor OB proved it can always get worse.

RS wasn't a bad GM IMO. He wasn't anything great as well. He did inherit a bad team and turned the roster into a perennial playoff team w/ several pro bowlers. Then once he left, the Texans took a HUGE nose-dive to arguably the worst team in the league.

He was bad, look at his draft record in rds 2-4.

The main reason they took a nose dive after he left is the roster he composed stunk. Look at the OL he left and the fact that he treated drafting a QB like the plague. There's a reason RS cant sniff another NFL GM job.

The main reason they took a nose dive after he left is the roster he composed stunk. Look at the OL he left and the fact that he treated drafting a QB like the plague. There's a reason RS cant sniff another NFL GM job.

Agreed. The only thing Rick Smith did consistently well was draft in the 1st round. And even that is subjective... Were his first round picks successful because they stuck around for their second contracts? Or because they were hits relative to the players drafted around them? He missed badly in rounds 2-4 and with high dollar FAs (aside from Jo Jo).

The Texans have traditionally held onto players well past time to replace them with a superior player because they are a "high character player, good teammate, etc." On the opposite end of that he badly mishandled Duane Brown negotiations leading to the situation where Brown gets traded and the Texans are stuck with a liability at LT until OB gives up the farm for Tunsil.

RS did draft JJ Watt and find Arian Foster as a UDFA. But the teams were perennially average for the length of his tenure... which was way too long for the team's level of performance.

I could care less about nit-picking and blasting his weaknesses. All I care about is the big picture, which is having a good team.

Rick Smith joined the Texans in 2006. The previous season they were 2-14. The team has NEVER had a winning season.

Over the next 13 seasons under Rick:
  • Only 4 losing seasons
  • 5 division titles
So maybe his mid-round picks is the difference between RS being mediocre vs great, the difference from the Texans winning a Super Bowl. But being mediocre at a job doesn't make you bad.

Rick built a very good OL w/ Kubiak. Once BOB came, the OL went to crap. BOB couldn't even recognize he had a horrible OL coach, so no, I'm not giving him benefit of the doubt that he could also recognize good OL talent.

You got your wish, and Rick is gone. He's been gone for three seasons now. The team is projected to be the very worst next season. BOB/Easterby is an example of bad GMs, and RS was lightyears ahead of them.

I could care less about nit-picking and blasting his weaknesses. All I care about is the big picture, which is having a good team.

Rick Smith joined the Texans in 2006. The previous season they were 2-14. The team has NEVER had a winning season.

• Only 4 losing seasons
  • 5 division titles
So maybe his mid-round picks is the difference between RS being mediocre vs great, the difference from the Texans winning a Super Bowl. But being mediocre at a job doesn't make you bad.

Rick built a very good OL w/ Kubiak. Once BOB came, the OL went to crap. BOB couldn't even recognize he had a horrible OL coach, so no, I'm not giving him benefit of the doubt that he could also recognize good OL talent.

You got your wish, and Rick is gone. He's been gone for three seasons now. The team is projected to be the very worst next season. BOB/Easterby is an example of bad GMs, and RS was lightyears ahead of them.
Rick Smith never really took control of the draft until after Kubiak was fired. Up and until that point it was coaches and McNair making the draft decisions. RS was doing what they wanted him to do. Kubiak always had complete control of roster. Having final say was always part of Kubiak's contract.

Unlike today where Caserio has complete control of the roster, head coach and the coaching staff.

Last edited:
Rick Smith never really took control of the draft until after Kubiak was fired. Up and until that point it was coaches and McNair making the draft decisions. RS was doing what they wanted him to do. Kubiak always had complete control of roster. Having final say was always part of Kubiak's contract.
Unlike today where Caserio has complete control of the roster, head coach and the coaching staff.

RS did draft JJ Watt and find Arian Foster as a UDFA. But the teams were perennially average for the length of his tenure... which was way too long for the team's level of performance.
Wade Phillips was responsible for drafting JJ Watt. End of Story. Bob McNair promised Wade that first rd pick to take the DC job. Alex Gibbs is responsible for Arian Foster's success. Again Gibbs was promised a first rd pick to become OL coach and running game coach. He used the first rd pick on Duane Brown and signed Foster after working him out. BTW the one best thing McNair did as an interfering owner was to hire Wade Phillips.

Last edited:

We agree on this one.

The Duane Brown fiasco was all on ownership. Bob McNair didn't like Brown's attitude, and wasn't about to give him an extension.
McNair opened that can of worms and created the friction by interjecting his politics. The day after the 2008 election was the beginning of the McNair insensitivity display. McNair tells players they are not happy with election of Obama. Didn't sit well with a lot of players who developed a grudged. He followed this up with the inmates are running the asylum comments which turned many of his players against him. Not just Texans many players in the NFL had no desire to play for McNair after those SNAFUS.

Hopefully getting cut by the Cowboys in training camp last season and not getting signed by anyone during the season was a wake up call. Low risk high reward especially as a tryout player.

Had issues freelancing too much instead of playing within the scheme. Also a poor tackler like another former first round pick in the Texans secondary Vernon Hargraves. Hopefully Clinton-Dix cleaned that up while watching football last season instead of participating.

Hopefully getting cut by the Cowboys in training camp last season and not getting signed by anyone during the season was a wake up call. Low risk high reward especially as a tryout player.

Had issues freelancing too much instead of playing within the scheme. Also a poor tackler like another former first round pick in the Texans secondary Vernon Hargraves. Hopefully Clinton-Dix cleaned that up while watching football last season instead of participating.
And Texans won't be offering the kind of money he will be hoping for.

I don't know how accurate his rounds 2-4 history is. His 2nd round picks were usually pretty good

& while we never drafted any bonafide studs in rounds 3 or lower, we had plenty who played well on our team & other teams... Jacoby got a ring.

At the same time, I think coaching plays a bigger role in all this the lower you get. Arian Foster & Aj Bouye owe just as much to their position coaches as they do Rick Smith

• Only 4 losing seasons
  • 5 division titles

Obviously RS can build a competitive team but not a championship level team. 1 of the reasons he cant sniff a job.

But to each their own. If having a good team is good enough for you then so be it. I personally will be glad when Caserio finishes taking out RS trash.

He's already "sniffed" three NFL GM positions.

Ex-Texans GM Rick Smith interviewing for Jaguars GM job

"It's the third team set to take a close look at Smith along with the Atlanta Falcons and Detroit Lions."

It's rare that GMs are given second chances in the NFL.

Texans among 14 teams interested in Steven Nelson... though I doubt there’s any chance of getting him at the $ he’ll command. Solid starting CB cut from Steelers due to cap constraints scheduled to be making a little over 8 million this season so one would expect that is the minimum of his asking price.

I don’t think the Texans have that type of money left available.

Texans among 14 teams interested in Steven Nelson... though I doubt there’s any chance of getting him at the $ he’ll command. Solid starting CB cut from Steelers due to cap constraints scheduled to be making a little over 8 million this season so one would expect that is the minimum of his asking price.

I don’t think the Texans have that type of money left available.
78 PFF since 2019 Texans have $10 million cap. A contract can be offered that would keep his cap hit much less than 8 million this year. The problem as I see it why on Earth would he want to play in Houston?

78 PFF since 2019 Texans have $10 million cap. A contract can be offered that would keep his cap hit much less than 8 million this year. The problem as I see it why on Earth would he want to play in Houston?

Exactly

Is this guy any good?

Random thought/hope for this season

I don’t have high hopes for this coaching staff. I’d love to be surprised but I have doubts. One thing they could do to create improvement is to play guys to their strength more than BOBs did. How awesome would it be if we got quality play from Blacklock, Greenard, Johnson and Reid on defense and Coulter, Heck, Scharping, and Warring on offense. If these guys could turn into quality players it would go a long way towards the rebuild. I think OB and his staff did these guys no favors by running an overly complex system on offense and asking these guys to do things on D to do things they weren’t necessarily suited to do

Exactly

Is this guy any good?

Starting CB for a top 5 pass defense... obviously there is a few extra things Pittsburgh has going for it on defense but Nelson is a quality starting CB.

Which makes me echo Badboy’s statement... why would he play here? $ talks but unless Caserio and the accountants can pull off one more trick there wont be enough to get him to sign.

Random thought/hope for this season

I don’t have high hopes for this coaching staff. I’d love to be surprised but I have doubts. One thing they could do to create improvement is to play guys to their strength more than BOBs did. How awesome would it be if we got quality play from Blacklock, Greenard, Johnson and Reid on defense and Coulter, Heck, Scharping, and Warring on offense. If these guys could turn into quality players it would go a long way towards the rebuild. I think OB and his staff did these guys no favors by running an overly complex system on offense and asking these guys to do things on D to do things they weren’t necessarily suited to do

I remember being so excited about Warring when the reports came out he was dominating OTAs... then the pads came on and the injuries started piling up.

Would be nice to get some surprises from the existing holdovers of this roster.

Playing time? Even if you're an avg CB, you are pretty much guaranteed alot of snaps. A place to showcase his abilities so he can sign an even bigger contract next season?

I dunno did Wade want Aldon Smith too ? My understanding was that a lot of the Texans wanted Smith. Hell I wanted Aldon Smith and
was disappointed when we got some guy named JJ Watt instead.
The story is the Texans had a trade in place to get Aldine Smith. When Smith was taken, they debated using that pick to draft Patrick Peterson.

They decided to not do the trade & see how it unfolds.

So that’s at least two players they (Wade included) the considered before Jj... could have been a few more. We really don’t know

The story is the Texans had a trade in place to get Aldine Smith. When Smith was taken, they debated using that pick to draft Patrick Peterson.

So that’s at least two players they (Wade included) the considered before Jj... could have been a few more. We really don’t know

Not a bad group to choose from in hindsight. Certainly better than the Texans having the opportunity to choose between Amobi Okoye, Patrick Willis and Darelle Revis in 2007... and getting it wrong 🤦‍♂️

Playing time? Even if you're an avg CB, you are pretty much guaranteed alot of snaps. A place to showcase his abilities so he can sign an even bigger contract next season?
If I am Nelson's agent I'm not going for a one-year deal as I don't think he needs to prove anything. He needs to wrap up a four or five-year deal based on what he's accomplished since 2019. This next deal should be his haul the cash to the bank and I think he will get it somewhere.

If I am Nelson's agent I'm not going for a one-year deal as I don't think he needs to prove anything. He needs to wrap up a four or five-year deal based on what he's accomplished since 2019. This next deal should be his haul the cash to the bank and I think he will get it somewhere.

If he were released prior to start of FA i’d agree. But he got released after teams had spent their already limited cap room.

Interesting. All these years, I've never heard this side of the story. It's always been the "Wade selected Watt" story. I guess it's just another example of something being repeated so often, it's just accepted as fact without the context that Wade's pick was already taken.

Last edited:
Back