Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Just read that former New York Jet linebacker Neville Hewitt is visiting the Texans. 28 years of age at six foot two in 234 pounds. In 2020 and 16 full games he had 134 total tackles with six or loss and four quarterback hits. One forced fumble and two sacks with four passes defended. Signing up!

You're expecting Watson to be starting this season?

Is that a joke? Of course not. We now have three backup QBs on the team, all learning a new system to them, with a whole bunch of new coaches and game plans. All three of them will probably see time on the field this season, along with the QB that they haven't signed yet.

Just read that former New York Jet linebacker Neville Hewitt is visiting the Texans. 28 years of age at six foot two in 234 pounds. In 2020 and 16 full games he had 134 total tackles with six or loss and four quarterback hits. One forced fumble and two sacks with four passes defended. Signing up!

Would be a good depth addition. Texans LB corps is completely revamped with only Zach Cunningham returning from last season. Team website now has Mercilus and Greenard listed as DL. Also has Hewitt's former teammate Jordan Jenkins listed as DL. Interested to see how the front 7 shakes out in TC.

Is that a joke? Of course not. We now have three backup QBs on the team, all learning a new system to them, with a whole bunch of new coaches and game plans. All three of them will probably see time on the field this season, along with the QB that they haven't signed yet.

You've already decided Mills is a backup?

You've already decided Mills is a backup?

For the purposes of the upcoming season, yes. And I would think any QB not taken in the 1st round is probably expected to be a backup. At least for his rookie season.

Who actually knows what will happen when all the of the QBs are run through camp, and who they decide to start? Like I've said before, all three of them will see time on the field this season anyway. Whoever starts, will be replaced by another due to injury or performance, and that scene will likely be repeated several times in 2021.

I wouldn’t be surprised, at all, if Mills is assigned clipboard caddy duty and student for 2021. In 2022 he’ll be given his chance to compete with the hope that his year as understudy and scout team QB paid off. I’d prefer Mills not see the field at all in 2021.....unless he just comes in and blows everyone away.....then he’s earned his opportunity.

I wouldn’t be surprised, at all, if Mills is assigned clipboard caddy duty and student for 2021. In 2022 he’ll be given his chance to compete with the hope that his year as understudy and scout team QB paid off. I’d prefer Mills not see the field at all in 2021.....unless he just comes in and blows everyone away.....then he’s earned his opportunity.

You play your best player.

Think Tyrod is better?

After seeing the FA/Draft periods, it looks to me that Caserio has final say on personnel moves.

I think so, as well.

It's just entertaining to me to make fun of Cal & Jack. Easy, low hanging fruit, I know.

I don't know why my sarcasm ruffles any feathers. At the end of the day, they do what they want. I'm just a casual observer and a purveyor of snark. :cowboy1:

You play your best player.

Think Tyrod is better?

Camp will answer that question but, if I were making a guess.....yes, Tyrod Taylor is the better QB for the 2021 season. That’s not a thumb down for Mills just a real rookie competing against a seasoned veteran. Also, I prefer to see Taylor break in the new and hopefully improved OL.

Camp will answer that question but, if I were making a guess.....yes, Tyrod Taylor is the better QB for the 2021 season. That’s not a thumb down for Mills just a real rookie competing against a seasoned veteran. Also, I prefer to see Taylor break in the new and hopefully improved OL.

Tyrod should be better, have you watched him play?

Lol

They may all be backups, but TT may disagree with you.

Always seems like a liability to me.

Don’t like his play.

Maybe he will surprise me!

If the OL can give this guy some time and the running game can help keep defenses honest......the Texans added enough weapons for Tyrod Taylor to enjoy some success. I'm a firm believer that the OL will be the key to the Texans 2021 offensive success.

They may all be backups, but TT may disagree with you.

It'd be nice if one of the three QBs catches on and does some nice stuff. I think the odds favor Taylor more than the other two simply because of his experience. I just don't think we've seen our so-called "new QB" yet. I think that'll happen next year.

Expanding on the LBs a bit more... I think starting Mike/Sam is going to be Kirksey/Cunningham. Mix and match whoever you prefer at each spot. Week 1 starting Will Kevin Pierre-Louis. He has proven himself a solid coverage backer with expanded playing time last two seasons. Though he may be limited against the run and a player you want to upgrade on asap. Maybe Wallow can outplay his draft status and earn the starting Will job. Would be a nice steal if so.

If the team ends up signing Neville Hewitt that gives them a good backup MIKE. Liability in coverage but a good downhill run defender. Can do much worse for a backup LB.

EDIT: Texans have signed Neville Hewitt per Aaron Wilson twitter:

For the purposes of the upcoming season, yes. And I would think any QB not taken in the 1st round is probably expected to be a backup. At least for his rookie season.

Who actually knows what will happen when all the of the QBs are run through camp, and who they decide to start? Like I've said before, all three of them will see time on the field this season anyway. Whoever starts, will be replaced by another due to injury or performance, and that scene will likely be repeated several times in 2021.
Sounds like a redo O'Brien's first year.

Signed one year with Houston. Also heard 610 talking about him as a faster, lighter guy that Caserio wants.

Would be a good depth addition. Texans LB corps is completely revamped with only Zach Cunningham returning from last season. Team website now has Mercilus and Greenard listed as DL. Also has Hewitt's former teammate Jordan Jenkins listed as DL. Interested to see how the front 7 shakes out in TC.
My understanding is he has great shot at being a starter in 4-3. Either depth or starter, I like this signing. John McCLain said today that we have 17 defensive linemen on roster with some of them being former LBs now expected to play with hand in dirt. Good to have competition.

My understanding is he has great shot at being a starter in 4-3. Either depth or starter, I like this signing. John McCLain said today that we have 17 defensive linemen on roster with some of them being former LBs now expected to play with hand in dirt. Good to have competition.

I think the MIKE job will be between him and either Kirksey or Cunningham (not sure which of those staff prefers at MIKE or SAM). If its Kirksey then he has a shot to win the job but I think Kirksey is a more well rounded player. Agree on it being good there is competition. And Lovie bringing the LB friendly Tampa 2 will no doubt help these LBs look their best... whatever that may be...

It'd be nice if one of the three QBs catches on and does some nice stuff. I think the odds favor Taylor more than the other two simply because of his experience. I just don't think we've seen our so-called "new QB" yet. I think that'll happen next year.
Texans will likely not get a chance to accurately guage Mills NFL readiness/abilities in the time they have.
I personally hope we do not have to rush him into the fray. He needs to have at least a year to sit and learn and maybe have some snaps in preseason games or garbage time at the end of the season.
We will likely have to draft a QB high anyway for insurance.
By that time we hopefully will have at least a couple of first rounders to play with.
If Mills turns into a good backup at least, we can keep him or trade him if the next new guy is promising.
Looks like we have to wait another couple years to see if we have another guy.
That is par for the course for a Texans fan.🤷

Hopefully Mills is that guy.

It would be unbelievable if Mills shows enough promise in 2021 that the Texans and Caserio skip a QB in 2022.....allowing the team to put mucho focus on the defense. In 2022 Taylor bridges the position to the Bye-Week and the Mills opportunity is set to begin on the backside of 2022. 2023 draft is filling gaps while the Mills era is set to begin in earnest.

Grading a draft right after the draft is pointless. All the grading is based on armchair GMs' and talking heads opinions, not on anything that the real front offices use to make decisions. Give it a year or two, then we'll see.

Now, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around on college players. I watch college football, but I don't do any evals, don't do mock drafts. Many of you here know way more than I do, and I gladly admit that. But for any armchair GM to pretend like they're even close to knowing or having the information or the tools that even the worst of the NFL front offices have is just laughable. These people do it for a living, they have scouting departments that travel and watch players in person, interview them, talk to their coaches. They spend countless hours watching the tape. Etc, etc, etc.

So, an armchair GM can occasionally be right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, but to pretend like you know better than them? You don't. Even if you think you do.

Grading a draft right after the draft is pointless. All the grading is based on armchair GMs' and talking heads opinions, not on anything that the real front offices use to make decisions. Give it a year or two, then we'll see.

Now, I'm not the most knowledgeable guy around on college players. I watch college football, but I don't do any evals, don't do mock drafts. Many of you here know way more than I do, and I gladly admit that. But for any armchair GM to pretend like they're even close to knowing or having the information or the tools that even the worst of the NFL front offices have is just laughable. These people do it for a living, they have scouting departments that travel and watch players in person, interview them, talk to their coaches. They spend countless hours watching the tape. Etc, etc, etc.

So, an armchair GM can occasionally be right, even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while, but to pretend like you know better than them? You don't. Even if you think you do.

I hear what you're saying. None of our QBs are walking on the worse NFL team as a starter. Even here, I bet Finley & Taylor actually battle it out in camp.

I was going to post some videos of him throwing the ball down the field. But your mind is already made up. From what I’ve seen he can throw the ball all over the field.
Tyrod's been in the league for 10 years... you think the next 4 months will reveal something new?

& yeah, I know there are plenty of highlights with Taylor throwing the ball downfield. I'm pretty sure that's not what he meant.

You better have a strong run game & good "keep them on their heels play calling" if you want Tyrod to throw it deep. He's not that guy.

You're not going to use TT's vertical threat to open your run game.

Apparently you haven't seen some of the Casserly/RS drafts.

Even with all of this knowledge. Speaking of RS is he still bragging about his DW4 pick? Haven't heard much from him lately since the perv stuff broke.

I was going to post some videos of him throwing the ball down the field. But your mind is already made up. From what I’ve seen he can throw the ball all over the field.
And a gorilla can hit a golf ball 400 yards. You just never know where it's going. Kind of like TT throwing the ball deep.

• Phase One of the voluntary offseason program ends Friday.
  • Rookie Minicamp is May 14-16.
  • Phase Two is May 17-21 when players are on the field with coaches for the first time. They’ll continue to have virtual meetings.
  • Phase Three begins May 24 with the first of 10 OTAs. The Texans also have OTAs scheduled May 26-27, June 1, June 3-4, June 7-8 and June 10-11.
  • Three-day mandatory minicamp is June 15-17.
Players return for training camp in late July.

Grading a draft right after the draft is pointless.
If you're grading it solely on the players who haven't taken a single NFL snap, then yeah, I agree. That is pointless. You need at least 3 years to give it a grade based on the actual players.

When I grade a draft right after the draft, I grade it on how the draft was navigated and executed. Did you get good value if you moved up or back? Did you fill a need? Did somebody fall in your lap? Did you reach? Things of that nature.

And IMO of how the Texans graded in regards to those things, I don't think it went very well. Taking Mills at the top of the 3rd was a big reach, for all the reasons I posted in another thread. I think what they gave up to move up to get Collins was a little pricey, but could be worth the overpay. Of course, it's not a Texans draft without a TE being selected. They move up twice to grab a 5th rounder, who may or may not have been the guy they were targeting if you're to believe the reports that the Raiders got the guy they were eyeballing. They give up assets to move up 3 times in a draft where they were handcuffed from the beginning. I don't think the navigation and execution of the draft went well at all.

As far as the actual players taken? Check back with me in 3 years. Which, BTW, it's been 3 years since the 2018 draft. How are we grading that?

Justin Reid - been OK, fell off last season. 0 Pro Bowls
Martinas Rankin - traded after 1 season, but for Carlos Hyde, so that ups the grade some.
Jordan Akins - good enough that they keep drafting TEs every year.
Keke Coutee - been a healthy scratch most of his career.
Duke Ejiofor - career IR
Jordan Thomas - released after 2 seasons
Peter Kalambayi - STer, cut after 2020.
Jermaine Kelly - never played a down.

And don't forget to go back and look at all the comments here of how great these selections were.

If you're grading it solely on the players who haven't taken a single NFL snap, then yeah, I agree. That is pointless. You need at least 3 years to give it a grade based on the actual players.

When I grade a draft right after the draft, I grade it on how the draft was navigated and executed. Did you get good value if you moved up or back? Did you fill a need? Did somebody fall in your lap? Did you reach? Things of that nature.

And IMO of how the Texans graded in regards to those things, I don't think it went very well. Taking Mills at the top of the 3rd was a big reach, for all the reasons I posted in another thread. I think what they gave up to move up to get Collins was a little pricey, but could be worth the overpay. Of course, it's not a Texans draft without a TE being selected. They move up twice to grab a 5th rounder, who may or may not have been the guy they were targeting if you're to believe the reports that the Raiders got the guy they were eyeballing. They give up assets to move up 3 times in a draft where they were handcuffed from the beginning. I don't think the navigation and execution of the draft went well at all.

As far as the actual players taken? Check back with me in 3 years. Which, BTW, it's been 3 years since the 2018 draft. How are we grading that?

Martinas Rankin - traded after 1 season, but for Carlos Hyde, so that ups the grade some.
Duke Ejiofor - career IR

And don't forget to go back and look at all the comments here of how great these selections were.

This is a quality vs quantity argument. Some people like more picks. I'm the guy if Caserio likes somebody he should move up and get him. (Like he did.)

I'm hoping they get 2 players out of this draft and 3 out of the FA's they signed. Those 2 guys if I had to bet are most likely Collins/Jordan. The Mills pick is a gamble on a guy that probably would've been a 1st rd talent. The talent is there. If I'm going to gamble it would be on a guy with 1st rd talent in the 3rd rd that needs development. This describes Mills perfectly. I like the fact that this new regime is betting on that they can develop players.

This is very different philosophy than the BOB regime had and fans should be happy about this. BUT I guess sometimes you just cant ever make people happy.

Grading a draft at completion is nothing more than grading opinions. Grading a draft after the Pre Season games might offer a better glimpse as to how a team(s) draft panned out. Of course grading out after seasons 1, 2, and 3 would offer 20/20 vision as to how a draft three years earlier panned out b/c this assessment would be based strictly on the on-field production. Year 3 is the year that determines if RD2-RD7 picks are going to get new contracts and if RD1 picks have are getting an extension or having their 5th year option picked up.

Last edited:
Grading a draft at completion is nothing more than grading opinions. Grading a draft after the Pre season might offer a better glimpse as to how a team(s) draft panned out.

That's one opinion.

If I were an NFL owner I would like to have an informed opinion of how my GM performed in the draft. When the last pick is in I want to be able to assess my GM.

That opinion should be based on known information at that time.

Christian Ponder was taken in the first round, but didn't play up to a first round selection. The team needed a QB.

In truth the GM probably didn't give him a first round grade but knew he'd have to take him in the first to be sure they get him.

If I'm the owner & agree there's a huge drop off between CP & the next guy I'd give him an A at the time of the draft for getting the QB.

A year later, I'm seeing guys like Dalton & Kaepernick performing at a high level, then I will call my GM on his talent evaluation.

Two years later I'm seeing Tyrod Taylor & TJ Yates looking every bit as good as Ponder, I'm looking at my coaching staff & sternly asking them WTF!!

I'm fine with discussing moves and players and all that. People will have their opinions, which is allowed. People here disagree on various selections, trades, etc, etc, etc. Again, fine. I just laugh when people pretend or act like they know better than a real NFL GM. They don't.

I'm not grading it in any way, but you're welcome to.

Duke Ejiofor - career IR

People are still allowed to disagree right? I don't have any problem with that as I mentioned earlier. As long as everybody knows these are amateur armchair GM opinions that mean nothing outside of these fan forum conversations.

That's one opinion.

If I were an NFL owner I would like to have an informed opinion of how my GM performed in the draft. When the last pick is in I want to be able to assess my GM.

Christian Ponder was taken in the first round, but didn't play up to a first round selection. The team needed a QB.

In truth the GM probably didn't give him a first round grade but knew he'd have to take him in the first to be sure they get him.

If I'm the owner & agree there's a huge drop off between CP & the next guy I'd give him an A at the time of the draft for getting the QB.

A year later, I'm seeing guys like Dalton & Kaepernick performing at a high level, then I will call my GM on his talent evaluation.

Two years later I'm seeing Tyrod Taylor & TJ Yates looking every bit as good as Ponder, I'm looking at my coaching staff & sternly asking them WTF!!

I'm pretty sure NFL franchises self reflect based on their own info. If they don't, they should. But I'm pretty sure they don't scan this thread to find out what Joe Schmoe the GM thought about the picks or trades made.

I'm pretty sure NFL franchises self reflect based on their own info. If they don't, they should. But I'm pretty sure they don't scan this thread to find out what Joe Schmoe the GM thought about the picks or trades made.
No one said they did. My point is teams, team owners especially, grade the GM right after the draft

That's one opinion.

I'm not blaming my coaching staff because Ponder cant play.

That's directly on the GM/His Scouts. If I'm an owner a GM gets to pick his franchise QB once, maybe twice depending on the circumstances. If the GM/HC keeps missing on rd 2-4 picks for 5 yrs like RS did I'm firing everybody including GM/HC/Scouts etc... because they've proven they cant get the job done and it's housecleaning time. I gave BOB a break in this regard because of how bad RS was at his job. BOB proved to be worse than RS and that takes some doing.

Back