Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans random thought of the day

Instead of throwing $10M at a meh corner, they should use that on DJ Reader. He’s gonna be around that range and he’s earned it honestly.

I hope they re-sign Reader and sign Suh to a 1 yr deal. A DL of Watt/Reader/Suh with Mercilus or Martin comming off of the edge would be well set up to look like a Rex Ryan type defense.

Then add a Safety/CB in the draft and if you hit on those picks the defense will look much better next yr. I know fans dont like Suh, but he looked pretty good in the SB with the Rams 2 yrs ago and Look how much Tampa's defense improved with him last yr. The guy's a differencemaker.

Head-Coach-Bill-O%E2%80%99Brien-24.jpeg
3 million Hargraves take-it-or-leave-it!

I agree, not worth that much!!!

Problem is, though, we are potentially losing JJo and Roby as well. Do we dare start free agency with Conley & Lonnie as our only viable corners? Letting VH walk means re-signing Roby is a MUST!
Nope it means we go get our own free agent cornerback hopefully Byron Jones. Then we draft correctly. Jones opposite Conley with Johnson in the slot or a draft pick would be great. Chris Poole would be a pretty good choice he comes at a reasonable price. Neither Hargreaves or Roby should be back as neither are that good.

Nope it means we go get our own free agent cornerback hopefully Byron Jones. Then we draft correctly. Jones opposite Conley with Johnson in the slot or a draft pick would be great. Chris Poole would be a pretty good choice he comes at a reasonable price. Neither Hargreaves or Roby should be back as neither are that good.
Gipson before his injuries did indeed do a decent job keeping the TEs in check.

I sincerely feel that the next 3-5 years is going to be really tough for the Texans. It appears O’Brien is the head of football operations. There isn’t a checks and balances system in place. It’s strictly BoB’s way.

I also believe he’s ruling by fear. The stories of him being a powder keg are true. We’ve seen the video. Running a business by emotional impulses has disastrous consequences. What will happen if Watson or Nuk gets on his bad side? Could they be benched or traded away for pennies on the dollar? Hypothetical, I know, but what isn’t hypocritical is BoB has traded away extremely valuable resources. And Tunsil has the team over a barrel. BoB will wind up overpaying him in order to save face. Watson will command high dollar as well. No reputable GM will want to come here.

Lean times ahead for our team...I mean, King BoB, supreme ruler of the Texans.

2-14 might be the best thing that could happen to this franchise.

I am no fan of Bill O'Brien. & what I'm about to say has no bearing on him or the job he has done.

But I'm thinking of the state of the Texans. Where are we?

Truthfully, we're in the exact same place as the Baltimore Ravens. Just looking at them & what they've been able to do the past six years, we're pretty much in the same place. Can't get past the divisional round. I know John Harbaugh has done it before, but it's been a while.

If you were the Raven's GM, would you be thinking about firing Harbaugh? Six years. They dominated on offense this season, do you think they can repeat that performance next season? I don't. That's just not the way the NFL works.

It may just be me, but going all in on Lamar Jackson & not getting out of the wildcard... I'd move on. But most people here wouldn't.

Again, forget about the Super Bowl he won. Consider going forward. Would you stick with Harbaugh & how crazy does it sound for someone (me) to be talking about "moving on"?

(I want O'Brien gone last year, don't mistake me for one of them.)

Little different circumstances.

First of all Harbaugh won a superbowl in 2012 with a Matt Schaub-esque QB in Joe Flacco and a great defense.

They had only been to the playoffs in two of the previous 6 years not including this one - mainly due to poor to mediocre QB play. Flacco just hasn't been the same guy since that superbowl - He's the shining example of a QB being surrounded by all the right ingredients to win it all.

Harbaugh was essentially Schaubed …. just a guy who wasn't good enough anymore and you didn't have a better option for a couple seasons.

Enter Lamar Jackson in 2018 - they go 6-1 to finish the year and lose the wildcard game with a rookie QB with half a seasons experience under him.
This year they win 12 straight games with Jackson under center then run into the one team that matches up well with them and is very well coached … and was just as hot going in as the Ravens.

Harbaugh also built that offense specifically to suit the talents of his QB and it earned him the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs.

OB hasn't won a divisional playoff game much less a superbowl …. He has been embarrassed thoroughly multiple times in the playoffs , losing at home to a wildcard team and twice , not just getting beaten but beat down by the Chiefs 30-0 and then finding a way to lose by 20 after being up 28-0 this year.

Neither has he built an offense that's suited to his QB's abilities …. His QB has gotten better from year to year , Watson seems stuck in 3rd gear - actually regressing in some aspects , like getting the ball out quickly.
As a rookie Watson had the quickest release in the NFL and it wasn't close - Now that's the biggest knock on him , hanging onto the ball longer than HWWNBM.

Bottom line , Harbaugh has earned that good will from the owners to the fans - Something OB has not earned but somehow stolen.

Baltimore has a pretty bright future - all their future draft picks (and one owed them by the Pats) an MVP at QB , an innovative offense , very physical defense and a quality HC who doesn't call time out and then challenge a play.

Texans …. their future is 9-7. More of the same.

First of all Harbaugh won a superbowl in 2012 with a Matt Schaub-esque QB in Joe Flacco and a great defense.

They had only been to the playoffs in two of the previous 6 years not including this one - mainly due to poor to mediocre QB play. Flacco just hasn't been the same guy since that superbowl - He's the shining example of a QB being surrounded by all the right ingredients to win it all.

Harbaugh was essentially Schaubed …. just a guy who wasn't good enough anymore and you didn't have a better option for a couple seasons.

Enter Lamar Jackson in 2018 - they go 6-1 to finish the year and lose the wildcard game with a rookie QB with half a seasons experience under him.
This year they win 12 straight games with Jackson under center then run into the one team that matches up well with them and is very well coached … and was just as hot going in as the Ravens.

Harbaugh also built that offense specifically to suit the talents of his QB and it earned him the #1 seed in the AFC playoffs.

OB hasn't won a divisional playoff game much less a superbowl …. He has been embarrassed thoroughly multiple times in the playoffs , losing at home to a wildcard team and twice , not just getting beaten but beat down by the Chiefs 30-0 and then finding a way to lose by 20 after being up 28-0 this year.

Neither has he built an offense that's suited to his QB's abilities …. His QB has gotten better from year to year , Watson seems stuck in 3rd gear - actually regressing in some aspects , like getting the ball out quickly.
As a rookie Watson had the quickest release in the NFL and it wasn't close - Now that's the biggest knock on him , hanging onto the ball longer than HWWNBM.

Bottom line , Harbaugh has earned that good will from the owners to the fans - Something OB has not earned but somehow stolen.

Baltimore has a pretty bright future - all their future draft picks (and one owed them by the Pats) an MVP at QB , an innovative offense , very physical defense and a quality HC who doesn't call time out and then challenge a play.

Wow. I am surprised he even mentioned Harbaugh and BOB in the same sentence.

I am surprised you even responded to his post. The fact he said that we are in the same spot as the Ravens is absolutely preposterous. Harbaugh is a proven winner and has the Ravens in a great spot. BOB has proven nothing and our entire future is in question.

I am surprised you even responded to his post. The fact he said that we are in the same spot as the Ravens is absolutely preposterous. Harbaugh is a proven winner and has the Ravens in a great spot. BOB has proven nothing and our entire future is in question.

Yet the Texans went just as far in the playoffs as the Ravens with the winner (Harbaugh) went and I would be willing to bet over the last 6 yrs the Texans have made the playoffs more often than the Ravens have. (I'm busy this morning and not looking it up.)

Yet the Texans went just as far in the playoffs as the Ravens with the winner (Harbaugh) went and I would be willing to bet over the last 6 yrs the Texans have made the playoffs more often than the Ravens have. (I'm busy this morning and not looking it up.)
Are you telling me that you would rather have our current coaching/player roster, than the Ravens? If you look at the state of both franchises, the Ravens are in a much better situation to succeed long term. John Harbaugh has also shown that he can win a Super Bowl, have the entire roster ripped apart, rebuild, and become a winner again. BOB has proven nothing.

what does beating the bills mean tho ..??? cus there obvs like a good young up and coming team they are like the 2011 Texans IMO even tho it took that team like 3 years just to make the playoffs

I hear ya, would rather have Byron Jones as well... but I would rather re-sign Roby, than enter free agency with hopes of signing one of the top corners. That's not a good recipe. We usually end up overpaying, or getting no one and have to rely on the draft. Considering we don't have a 1st rounder, relying on the draft is extremely tough.

If we're going to overpay anyone in FA, I'd prefer it be a pass-rusher like Yannick Ngakoue.

Are you telling me that you would rather have our current coaching/player roster, than the Ravens? If you look at the state of both franchises, the Ravens are in a much better situation to succeed long term. John Harbaugh has also shown that he can win a Super Bowl, have the entire roster ripped apart, rebuild, and become a winner again. BOB has proven nothing.

I'm telling you that despite the b!thing that goes on around here the Texans went just as far as the Ravens did and the Ravens got beat on their home field by a team (Titans) that the Texans beat on their home field. The Texans aren't as bad or as badly coached as some on here claim that they have been.

With this said, I would clean house after 51-7 and that includes both BOB/DW4.

I'm telling you that despite the b!thing that goes on around here the Texans went just as far as the Ravens did and the Ravens got beat on their home field by a team (Titans) that the Texans beat on their home field. The Texans aren't as bad or as badly coached as some on here claim that they have been.

With this said, I would clean house after 51-7 and that includes both BOB/DW4.
Your original statement was that we are in the exact same state as the Ravens. That is completely inaccurate. They have much less to fix than we do. I would take the Ravens coaching/player roster over ours anyday.

Your original statement was that we are in the exact same state as the Ravens. That is completely inaccurate. They have much less to fix than we do. I would take the Ravens coaching/player roster over ours anyday.

I said they each made it exactly the same place in the playoffs.

Big difference than what you're mischaracterizing

I said they each made it exactly the same place in the playoffs.

Big difference than what you're mischaracterizing
Yes. You are correct. I was commenting on posts by “thunderkiss” the entire time and for some reason you chimed in. He was who I have been referencing the entire time.

Eh , TK and I go way back …. we've had many arguments over the almost two decades here.

I believe he's looking for a silver lining …. maybe OB turns it around.

Your original statement was that we are in the exact same state as the Ravens. .

That wasn't his statement - That was TK's.

Eh , TK and I go way back …. we've had many arguments over the almost two decades here.

I believe he's looking for a silver lining …. maybe OB turns it around.

That wasn't his statement - That was TK's.
Yes. If you read the whole thread I’ve already corrected and acknowledged this.

I hear ya, would rather have Byron Jones as well... but I would rather re-sign Roby, than enter free agency with hopes of signing one of the top corners. That's not a good recipe. We usually end up overpaying, or getting no one and have to rely on the draft. Considering we don't have a 1st rounder, relying on the draft is extremely tough.

If we're going to overpay anyone in FA, I'd prefer it be a pass-rusher like Yannick Ngakoue.
Roby was never in my long range thoughts as 1. if he did as well as I hoped he would leave for the dollars and 2. if he was not as good (and he was not-occasional good plays does not equal paying him for a return to team). I am okay with over paying if we get good product and also what appears to be o.p. as with Tunsil ends up being not as bad.

John Harbaugh has also shown that he can win a Super Bowl, have the entire roster ripped apart, rebuild, and become a winner again. BOB has proven nothing.

In my original post I said forget the Super Bowl. That was 7 years ago & he hasn't sniffed another since (this season notwithstanding, they got owned at home). They weren't close.

12 seasons won a Super Bowl on a freaky play off performance from Joe Flacco & Jacoby Jones. The norm, every other season says he's O'Brien.

I think (& many here) the Texans should have won 12 games this year. Didn't happen. Even if it did, the mantra around here was regular season don't mean squat. It's the qualifier, nothing more.

& no, I would not rather have the Ravens coaching staff. We basically have the Ravens coaching staff.

Bottom line , Harbaugh has earned that good will from the owners to the fans -

Outside of the Super Bowl, what's he done? Don't get me wrong, winning a Super Bowl ain't easy & deserves respect.

But at face value, since 2014, what's he done compared to BO'b? We know he knows what it takes to win a Super Bowl, he's done it. But I guess he decided not to over the last six years.

Maybe he'll decide to do it next season.
Baltimore has a pretty bright future - all their future draft picks (and one owed them by the Pats)

Good point.

MVP at QB , an innovative offense ,

Looks like Kaepernick to me. I get it, he's better. Just like Kaepernick was better than Vick & I was a Kaepernick fan, loved watching that boy play.

Every thing being said about LJ was said by Kaep fanbois back in the day. I'd love to see LJ prove them (me) wrong, but until he does...
and a quality HC who doesn't call time out and then challenge a play.

True, true...

But at face value, since 2014, what's he done compared to BO'b? We know he knows what it takes to win a Super Bowl, he's done it. But I guess he decided not to over the last six years.

And here we go picking an arbitrary time period to fit an argument. If you look at Belichick's 1st 5 years of coaching, OB has him beat hands down. See how that works?

Harbaugh has WON a Super Bowl. After the game Sunday, only 33 head coaches will have ever done that. So winning one ain't that ******* easy. So yeah, come on Jim, it's been 7 years. What's the problem?

Outside of the Super Bowl, what's he done? Don't get me wrong, winning a Super Bowl ain't easy & deserves respect.

Good point.

Looks like Kaepernick to me. I get it, he's better. Just like Kaepernick was better than Vick & I was a Kaepernick fan, loved watching that boy play.

Every thing being said about LJ was said by Kaep fanbois back in the day. I'd love to see LJ prove them (me) wrong, but until he does...

True, true...

Good point.

True, true...
John Harbaugh won a Super Bowl, had his roster literally gutted after. Lost his entire team leading to a 5-11 season in 2015 and rebuilt his team to a 13-3 winner with a solid future.

From a SI article...

A total of six quarterbacks went in the first round in 2016 and ’17, and all six were landed by teams who traded up. And so I had this interesting point raised to me this week—four of those six trades involved teams making massive moves up the board (more than 10 slots), and dealing away future first-rounders to do it. Of those four, three have made the Super Bowl since. The Eagles did it two years ago, the Rams last year, and the Chiefs are here now. The one that hasn’t made it yet, the Texans, are plenty happy with their decision to deal way up for Deshaun Watson. What’s more, both those classes were seen as relatively average at the position. The narrative going into 2016 was there was no Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston to be had, and in ’17 it was that a better crop of quarterbacks was coming in 2018. Food for thought as teams dig in on Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert.

He got Schaubed …. His QB went from just physically good enough to win with a great defense to …. just not good enough anymore. Remember how Schaub fell off after that lis franc injury ? …. he was never really a great athlete but got by with smarts and accuracy - he lost that little bit physically and that was more than his smarts & accuracy could overcome.

Also lost a lot of guys from that superbowl defense …. Its hard to repeat cause teams poach players in free agency , usually paying them more than you can afford to - then you have to replace that productivity.

From a SI article...

A total of six quarterbacks went in the first round in 2016 and ’17, and all six were landed by teams who traded up. And so I had this interesting point raised to me this week—four of those six trades involved teams making massive moves up the board (more than 10 slots), and dealing away future first-rounders to do it. Of those four, three have made the Super Bowl since. The Eagles did it two years ago, the Rams last year, and the Chiefs are here now. The one that hasn’t made it yet, the Texans, are plenty happy with their decision to deal way up for Deshaun Watson. What’s more, both those classes were seen as relatively average at the position. The narrative going into 2016 was there was no Marcus Mariota or Jameis Winston to be had, and in ’17 it was that a better crop of quarterbacks was coming in 2018. Food for thought as teams dig in on Joe Burrow, Tua Tagovailoa and Justin Herbert.
Hey we got the second best guy of that entire group of QBs.
How would you like it if you were at #3 in '17 and took Tribunski and left MaHomes and Watson on your Board ? Don't mean to pick on the Bears but wow did they screw it up ! And they gave up two firsts for Khalik and we got Tunsil for two firsts with our trade.
Definitely like our deal better than the Bears trade.
I dunno who's making all of those "decisions" in Chitown ? You pay your money and take your chances, see there's no guarantees it's all gonna work out.

Hey we got the second best guy of that entire group of QBs.
How would you like it if you were at #3 in '17 and took Tribunski and left MaHomes and Watson on your Board ? Don't mean to pick on the Bears but wow did they screw it up ! And they gave up two firsts for Khalik and we got Tunsil for two firsts with our trade.
Definitely like our deal better than the Bears trade.
I dunno who's making all of those "decisions" in Chitown ? You pay your money and take your chances, see there's no guarantees it's all gonna work out.
Trubisky is a bit of an anomaly in Chicago. Even after 3 years with the Bears, its difficult to pinpoint exactly what is wrong. He is definitely a bad QB, but he would be much better if he played on a better team. Nagy and his entire playcalling system is horrible. Trubisky "may" have turned out to be comparable to Watson if we drafted him. Its possible. Trubisky is definitely not a "good" QB, but Nagy and the entire system he plays in with the Bears has hindered any potential he may have and has shot his confidence.

And here we go picking an arbitrary time period to fit an argument. If you look at Belichick's 1st 5 years of coaching, OB has him beat hands down. See how that works?

Exactly. O'Brien may win a Super Bowl in his first 12 years of coaching.

That's not what I am saying but that's where your line of thinking leads.

I'm saying in the last six years Harbaugh hasn't coached much better if any than O'Brien. We're not very optimistic because O'Brien is our coach. But we look at Baltimore with envy. Why? Because Harbaugh with Ozzie won a Super Bowl? Well he ain't got Ozzie anymore.

We watch our team & are disappointed.

I remember when Kubiak was being discussed as our next HC many were saying he'll make us a perennial playoff team & that would be good because we're much closer to winning a Super Bowl.

We are a perennial playoff team. In a division that has been represented three times in the last 6 AFCCGs.

I'm done with BO'b, been done. Like I said in the beginning, my intention is not to sell anyone on Bill O'Brien.

But this is a good team.

This can not even be taken seriously. You are saying you would rather have BOB, Tim Kelly and Anthony Weaver instead of John Harbaugh, Don Martindale and Greg Roman?? Absurdity!!

Reading comprehension is fundamental. I don't want the Ravens staff. I don't want our staff.

Reading comprehension is fundamental. I don't want the Ravens staff. I don't want our staff.
I fully comprehended what you said. I will quote "I would not rather have the Ravens coaching staff. We basically have the Ravens coaching staff." It is RIDICULOUS that you would compare our coaching staff to the Ravens.

This can not even be taken seriously. You are saying you would rather have BOB, Tim Kelly and Anthony Weaver instead of John Harbaugh, Don Martindale and Greg Roman?? Absurdity!!

Everyone has an opinion and...

He got Schaubed …. His QB went from just physically good enough to win with a great defense to …. just not good enough anymore. Remember how Schaub fell off after that lis franc injury ? …. he was never really a great athlete but got by with smarts and accuracy - he lost that little bit physically and that was more than his smarts & accuracy could overcome.

Also lost a lot of guys from that superbowl defense …. Its hard to repeat cause teams poach players in free agency , usually paying them more than you can afford to - then you have to replace that productivity.

Sounds like you're talking about BO'b.

So Watson isn't good enough ?

Excuses.

Schaub... a whole WR corps...

How many of us are really surprised that Flacco is where he is?

How many of us were surprised Flacco had the five game streak?

Whatever, he accepted Flacco was Flacco four years post Super Bowl. Ok. Maybe that was Ozzie holding on to a bad hand. Fine.

He gets his QB & are one & done. Can't get past the divisional round.

Hoyer was O'Briens Flacco. Took him a while to figure it out. Now he has his QB. Exits divisional round.

Eh...

Excuses.

Whatever, he accepted Flacco was Flacco four years post Super Bowl. Ok. Maybe that was Ozzie holding on to a bad hand. Fine.

Hoyer was O'Briens Flacco. Took him a while to figure it out. Now he has his QB. Exits divisional round.

Eh...

Watson being a year ahead of Jackson …. Jackson had 7 games as a rookie , much like Watson coming into his second year - Lets see where the Ravens are next season to make a fair comparison ?

Excuses.

Eh...

You're probably going to find out in 3 yrs if BOB/DW are the right fit. What we're arguing about is whether who's at fault when they lose.

Sad that this is what this MB has become. I remember a time when the DRAFT section was active this time of yr regardless of record. I hope Beerlover can make it to our SB party. That's the kind of MB this used to be. I cant tell you how much discussion badboy/rmartin/beerlover's mock draft posters took interest in. I loved how Bah/XTR/WF respected judges of talent used to engage in a back and forth. Bah would put out his list and we would debate prospects. I miss those days.

Watson being a year ahead of Jackson …. Jackson had 7 games as a rookie , much like Watson coming into his second year - Lets see where the Ravens are next season to make a fair comparison ?

First, I'm just saying the season wasn't the abysmal failure many here are making it out to be. As superior as we believe Harbaugh & the Ravens to be (Saints too), they didn't get any farther in the playoffs than we did. Heck, they got beat by a team we would have been favored to beat (had we won & hosted the AFCCG).

Second, sorry... Kaepernick 2.0 will be fun to watch & may even win a Super Bowl next season. But it's not sustainable. I'd be more impressed if we actually see Lamar Jackson transform into an NFL QB. But he's years away from that.

LMAOOO they are criticizing Deshaun Watsons Pro Bowl skills event on that other thread, how funny!! They sit there and ask for examples on accuracy and "video" proof and when you spoon feed them what they want, what happens? Post delete, too mean! HAHAHA - oh wait no - its because my curse words dont get picked up by the curse word filter, and Im supposed to contextually account for that fact!!

this place is funny thanks guys - no matter how bad a day may be going, I know I can always come here - to the Mecca of Texan fans and the summit of intelligent thought and observations to get me through!!!

TexansTalk4Lyfe!!

Deshaun Watson Accuracy??? Well Lets play the SPIN game JOhnny! Did you know that Deshaun Watson just completed what would be tied for 39th most accurate season in NFL HISTORY?? No you didnt know? WELL NOW YOU DO!! Im sure the well versed and studied fans in here would also know that Texan receivers offered the LEAST AMOUNT OF SEPARATION in the passing game? Its easier to say "he threw it high" .. "he threw it at his feet" .. "the TE is wide open" or break down an all star skill competition to somehow knock the guys ability disguised as some constructive exercise? The absurdity.

okay, yep, check. No curse words - plenty of sarcasm. Okay good. This should make it by the TT Gestapo.

edit: Lamar Jackson had an even worse showing - Welp I guess Baltimore has no other choice than to trade him!

tenor.gif

Back