Texans random thought of the day

Pro Football Focus‏Verified account@PFF 5h5 hours ago
Kareem Jackson locked down receivers in 2018

DzhQTxjWsAA7mRL.jpg

Pro Football Focus‏Verified account@PFF 5h5 hours ago
Kareem Jackson locked down receivers in 2018

DzhQTxjWsAA7mRL.jpg
Yep and he passed the eye test too.
Seems counter-productive to let him walk and have to try and acquire another as good as him and then have that guy have to adjust and learn the system .
The odds of picking up multiple quality vets are not good and then you likely have to pay through the nose to get them anyway.
Of course, try and get one on board via FA, but do not count on two.

Even good ones can have an off game.
One or two mistakes do not merit tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

Older CB's are prone to fall off of a cliff .

The Colts are going to be the Texans main competition. KJ wasn't good against the Colts in any of those games.

Older CB's are prone to fall off of a cliff .

The Colts are going to be the Texans main competition. KJ wasn't good against the Colts in any of those games.
Meh, I still don't like the idea of having to fill three spots in that secondary with new guys who may or may not be better - just from an experience and cohesion aspect alone.

Meh, I still don't like the idea of having to fill three spots in that secondary with new guys who may or may not be better - just from an experience and cohesion aspect alone.

You dont,

Resign HB at S

Sign a CB in FA, I would take a chance on Verrett

Draft 2 CB's, one early/One developmental guy late. I like Sheffield early and Tim Harris late.

CB's JoJo/Verrett/Colvin/Sheffield/Harris is a very good CB group.

The odds of picking up multiple quality vets are not good and then you likely have to pay through the nose to get them anyway.

Not to mention finding someone who wants to be here, buys in, & is willing to do whatever needs to be done on any particular day, any particular play.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, I thought he was wrongly & harshly criticized his first two/three years. But I don't think he's a $10M dollar a year player.

I'd have a hard time paying him more than $6M, max maybe $7M.

Nature of FA I know he'll get more. & I hope he finds a place he fits & is successful.

Meh... I don't like the idea of overpaying to get players, I really don't like overpaying for our own FAs.

We can't be throwing money at whatever just because we have a little bit to spend.

You dont,

Resign HB at S

Draft 2 CB's, one early/One developmental guy late. I like Sheffield early and Tim Harris late.

Sure, but the FA market is fickle and yet volatile.
I mean you have to actually get guys first.
Kicking a decent guy to the kerb in the hope that you are going to snag another amidst fierce competition from other teams also trying to get that player is not an ideal scenario. I.e., competition for his services will drive his price up.
Iow, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Kicking a decent guy to the kerb in the hope that you are going to snag another amidst fierce competition from other teams also trying to get that player is not an ideal scenario. I.e., competition for his services will drive his price up.

If decent is what you want then go ahead and keep KJ.

If you want to keep KJ and play him at S then I'm on board. KJ at his age as a full time, I'm out.

NONE of the secondary was any good against the Colts, in any game.

J Jo can't play press coverage and he's the king at giving up the 3rd and 13 completion for 14 yards.

Agreed, that's why they need to upgrade in FA and use a high draft pick on a guy that can play. JoJo as CB2 you can get by with.

Say a CB group of Claiborne/JoJo/Mullen and a late rd guy like Tim Harris or Savion Smith would give you a great mixture of vet leadership and young talented guys who can learn from the Vets. Instead of just being thrown out there as a rookie like KJax was with predictable results.

It's easy to suggest an upgrade, harder still to find it.

Kjax should of been converted to a safety years ago.

T%he secondary is badly in need of an infusion of youth.

With the picks and FA $$$$ that Gaine has he should be able to fix the CB group this offseason.

I hope your right...but I hope they invest more heavily in ol. Watson is our future and should he fall, so does our fortune.
Because offensive linemen are a sure thing, huh? The Texans have been investing in the O-line every year and they have not hit on any of them. I’d feel safer with them going after secondary help and receivers early on. But then again, Gaine might just hit a few home runs in this draft as well as he did last year, even with no 1st or 2nd round picks.

You dont,

Resign HB at S

Exactly and of course Foster himself was one of the best ZB backs on the scene since Terrell Davis.
Man I loved Foster. His vision was as good as any I have seen.
Not the fastest RB I have ever seen by any stretch of the imagination, but a weapon par excellence just the same.
I wish we had one just like him on our roster right now.

JJo is 4 years older and you still suggested him as a starter wjthin the past couple days.

I also suggested bringing in 2-3 young guys for JoJo to mentor and a younger FA signing. This is what should've happened with Aaron Glenn, but Casserly in his infinite wisdom decided to cut Glenn and trade for P-Burnt.

I really like Keke. He's valuable .... when he's on the field ! Reminds me of what my brother-in-law used to hit me with when we were young ..... "you're Hell when you're well .... but you're all the time sick" !!

Because offensive linemen are a sure thing, huh? The Texans have been investing in the O-line every year and they have not hit on any of them. I’d feel safer with them going after secondary help and receivers early on. But then again, Gaine might just hit a few home runs in this draft as well as he did last year, even with no 1st or 2nd round picks.

I dont get this line of thinking. Dont address the problem, just bury your head under a blanket and hope it goes away?

I think that's his point. You could draft a guy who would be an All-Pro on just about any other team, but with Devlin & BO'b the OC, he'll most likely bust.

It might be his point and I think most here would agree we need better coaching...

But it's not what he said.

McClain: Texans could get younger at backup QB

John McClain , Houston Chronicle March 1, 2019 Updated: March 1, 2019 5:46 p.m.

INDIANAPOLIS — Here are five takeaways from Friday at the NFL scouting combine:

West Virginia QB Grier on Texans' radar

West Virginia quarterback Will Grier said the Texans are one of the teams he's scheduled to meet with at the combine. The Texans might be signing or drafting a quarterback to replace veteran Brandon Weeden, whose contract expires March 13 when free agency begins.

In Grier's interview session with the media on Friday, he praised two of his former West Virginia coaches, (head coach) Dana Holgorsen and (offensive coordinator) Jake Spavital. Holgorsen left the Mountaineers for the University of Houston.

What did Holgorsen mean to Grier?

"Everything," Grier said. "He gave me a second chance. After playing for two different staffs at Florida and two different types of offense, his was very different. It was very cool learning from him.

"He's, obviously, been all over the place and knows how to throw the football around so well, and I was excited to play in that offense. The guy is passionate for the game. It's really cool to be around somebody that passionate for offense and for the game that was willing to let me hang out all the time and pick his brain."

Grier, who transferred to West Virginia from Florida after testing positive for performance-enhancing drugs, thanked Holgorsen and Spavital, now the head coach at Texas State, for letting him get involved in the offense, including game plans.

"There's a lot of things I was doing that were a little more advanced," Grier said. "They just wanted to pick my brain on that. Spav and Dana were open and awesome with me, letting me be a part of it in game planning. We kind of built an offense."

O'Brien favors developing from within

Offensive line and cornerback are areas that need the most, but they also can use an inside pass rusher, a third running back, a fourth receiver and perhaps a new backup quarterback to replace Brandon Weeden, whose contract expires March 13 when free agency begins.

Bill O'Brien was asked an interesting question this week about weighing the difference between improving a player on the roster who knows the system compared to acquiring a veteran free agent or a rookie who have to learn the system.

"I believe you want to try to improve the guys on your roster," he said. "You're not going out every year and bringing new players in. We have the majority of players on our team that understand the culture, the work ethic, the competition in practice, how we lift, how we eat, how we train — everything. You would like to try and keep as many of those guys in place to continue to develop them and watch them improve.

"Certainly, in areas where you think you need some help, maybe you look at a free agent, but you better make sure that guy fits what you're trying to do. That's the tough thing about free agency. It's not like the draft, where you can see these guys and spend a lot of time with them."

O'Brien and general manager Brian Gaine haven't changed their philosophy.

"You really want to build through the draft, with your younger players, with a mixture of your veteran players that understand the culture and keep trying to improve that way," O'Brien said.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Texans add Andre Johnson to their coaching staff

March 1, 2019

The Texans have hired former receiver Andre Johnson as a special adviser to coach Bill O'Brien and general manager Brian Gaine.

Johnson, 37, will have different duties while he works with the coaching and personnel departments.

Johnson is the fourth former Texans' player who has been added to their staff, since the end of last season, joining linebackers Brian Cushing and Akeem Dent and quarterback T.J. Yates.

Johnson, the team's first-round pick in 2003, became the first Texans' player to be named to the team's Ring of Honor at NRG Stadium. He's the team's career receiving leader.

Johnson played 12 seasons with the Texans and two more with Indianapolis and Tennessee before retiring after the 2016 season.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Texans add Andre Johnson to their coaching staff

March 1, 2019

The Texans have hired former receiver Andre Johnson as a special adviser to coach Bill O'Brien and general manager Brian Gaine.

Johnson, 37, will have different duties while he works with the coaching and personnel departments.

Johnson is the fourth former Texans' player who has been added to their staff, since the end of last season, joining linebackers Brian Cushing and Akeem Dent and quarterback T.J. Yates.

Johnson, the team's first-round pick in 2003, became the first Texans' player to be named to the team's Ring of Honor at NRG Stadium. He's the team's career receiving leader.

Johnson played 12 seasons with the Texans and two more with Indianapolis and Tennessee before retiring after the 2016 season.

I'd really love to see the Texans. Make a similar move with Bruce Mathews. Would it really hurt to have a former All Pro everything on the OL not mention HOF'er as a Special Assistant instead of sitting on his couch in Houston.....especially when the Texans have one the worst OL's 5 years running.

I'd really love to see the Texans. Make a similar move with Bruce Mathews. Would it really hurt to have a former All Pro everything on the OL not mention HOF'er as a Special Assistant instead of sitting on his couch in Houston.....especially when the Texans have one the worst OL's 5 years running.

He got fired from his one OL coach job in 2013 (Titans told Munchak to fire him and 4 others and he wouldn't so he was fired too) and hasn't coached since.

He got fired from his one OL coach job in 2013 (Titans told Munchak to fire him and 4 others and he wouldn't so he was fired too) and hasn't coached since.

I would still bet on Matthews being a really good OL coach. Look at his kids who all have varying degrees of athletic abilities but all were atleast staring OL in college.

If Munch hires an OL coach I believe in the OL coach.

Not all those that can do can teach... Look at Magic Johnson and numerous others.

True

But Matthews seemed to teach his sons pretty well and Munch thought enough of Matthews coaching abilities that he quit when the Tacks attempted to force Munch to fire Matthews.

After playing their entire careers together I trust that Munch who is one of the best OL coaches in the NFL would know without a doubt if Matthews wasn't doing his job or incapable of being a good/great OL coach.

True

But Matthews seemed to teach his sons pretty well and Munch thought enough of Matthews coaching abilities that he quit when the Tacks attempted to force Munch to fire Matthews.

After playing their entire careers together I trust that Munch who is one of the best OL coaches in the NFL would know without a doubt if Matthews wasn't doing his job or incapable of being a good/great OL coach.

Yeah, the Titans were just finding scapegoats. Wasn't Bruce an assistant here that we lost to Munchack? They should bring him back

True

It was 5 coaches so you can't make Munchak's stand all about Matthews. Munchak didn't take Matthews with him.

Yeah, the Titans were just finding scapegoats. Wasn't Bruce an assistant here that we lost to Munchack? They should bring him back

Yes

Back