Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Texans random thought of the day

I don't want Bell. We need other positions more. RBs can be found and be effective if they have an OL and are used properly/schemed by the OC. We have neither.

I don't want Bell. We need other positions more. RBs can be found and be effective if they have an OL and are used properly/schemed by the OC. We have neither.
I see that as well.
But...Bell is a proven guy in the NFL and is just as good with his hands so is a two for one player.
If he does not cost an arm and a leg, I would have to be interested.

Not saying I want to spend a ton on Bell, or whether I want him at all - but I see this every offseason "you can get a RB from anywhere" so we say that every offseason, next year we complain about the run game and we need a new back - but just go draft one of the 5th round guys and plug him in.

If you can get a good running back from anywhere - the Texans suck at shopping.

Not saying I want to spend a ton on Bell, or whether I want him at all - but I see this every offseason "you can get a RB from anywhere" so we say that every offseason, next year we complain about the run game and we need a new back - but just go draft one of the 5th round guys and plug him in.

yes, but there is a better shopping plan than overpaying for a high quality, pre-owned luxury automobile that's been sitting for 1 year.

They do suck at shopping, two TEs and not even a running back drafted last year. Lindsey not even drafted.
Their problem is they need so much and really don't even know what they need.

I see that as well.
But...Bell is a proven guy in the NFL and is just as good with his hands so is a two for one player.
If he does not cost an arm and a leg, I would have to be interested.
You still have to pay the guy. I think we have more needs in FA.

You still have to pay the guy. I think we have more needs in FA.
Teams usually always have needs.
I can see the benefit of improving the run game and giving Watson another weapon to throw to.
Two birds with one stone is good value.

Not going to multi quote all but try to address some on Bell, AT's above example of a high quality luxury vehicle is very good IMO and as others I've said I would take him if price is right. Damien Harris Alabama although no where near of size brings much of what Bell does to field and if avail would be much cheaper of course. Most shake heads saying to costly but will Bell be? Read another article today RE: Pitts transitioning him which allows team to meet an offer but writer thought a T tag would hurt team. Players union would sue if tagged as I understand. 2 teams seem to be mentioned other than Houston Colts because of cap which seems off due to 22 YOA Mack and Jets with their safety dining and urging Bell ala Hopkins with FAs he tries to recruit. Yep a sporty high quality luxury vehicle not getting exposed to dings, pot holes would be if interested if a mechanic looks it over and the price is reasonable.

We have other needs than two OTs but if we can buy Trent Brown and Juwuan James to bookend for next 5-6 years we don't? I will soon post a list of cap expenditures we can make and there are several that should put Texans in ranks of top teams. Recent list I saw had Brown, James, Bell and Clowney as top ten IIRC FAs to radically impact teams immediately. Having all four? Sheesh! Bell doesn't need a better Oline to be amazing but give him one plus is blocking plus his catching---now that's an addition. Imagine eliminating drafting OLine and RB and maybe another WR from lists of needs on first two days.

How about we try to find the next Leveon Bell (minus the drama/locker room headache) instead of overpaying for a player who's best days are behind him and is leaving a locker room where he was despised.

Last edited:
They do suck at shopping, two TEs and not even a running back drafted last year. Lindsey not even drafted.
Their problem is they need so much and really don't even know what they need.

I'm going to go ahead and say with how they didn't re-sign Blue until right after the draft that they were probably wanting to take one. Just things don't always line up with how you want them to. A guy they wanted might have gotten taken before they could have taken him, or whatever. We needed 2 TEs, because the only guys we had at the position was Ryan Griffin, and a slow ass receiver. We had no quality TEs on our roster, at least with our RBs we had a average one in Miller, and if Foreman attacked his rehab how he should have who knows what he might have been.

Let's not play the hindsight game with a guy none of the 32 teams thought was worthy of 1 of the 256 picks

How about we try to find the next Leveon Bell (minus the drama/locker room headache) instead of overpaying for a player who's best days are behind him and is leaving a locker room where he was despised.
Well that's sweet any suggestions? lol. What drama only locker room issue I'm aware of was some saying he shouldn't hold out. He's not bad actor in locker room and I've read many teammates would take him back. Your opinion his best days behind him with nothing to support that. He's not coming off injury like Clowney or Watt did and 27 on Feb 18th isn't over the hill but for many RBs prime time. He was over worked 2017 & now has year of rest. He is not only hell of a runner and WR but known as the image for a blocking back. Few question his skill sets. TBF, Steel insists Bell's issue in 2014 with grass and booze will rise up five years later---

Totally agree with that and to drive your point home it's well known that the Steelers year in and year out have one of the best Olines in the NFL. Why just look at how well the guy who replaced Bell this year played for Pittsburg.

I was reading some espn articles and it was saying who will be the ones to watch and why and mentioned Bell was now in Houston as fact but perhaps it was just speculation .
Anyway.. thus was my reason for said thread and maybe it was premature so, linkless threads get deleted and that's fine.
I'll you kids start the threads from now on.

Ex Texans trying to make it back to the NFL via the AFF:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Defensive backs like safety Kurtis Drummond and cornerback Robert Nelson Jr. had strong games for their respective teams and at one point were players on the rise for the Texans. The San Antonio Commanders feature three former Texans offensive lineman that could not crack their depth chart but now are starting in left tackle Jaryd Jones-Smith, right guard Mason Gentry and right tackle Andrew McDonald. Wide receiver Chris Thompson showed promise for the Texans in his rookie season of 2017 but was injured for majority of the 2018 training camp and was released prior to the start of the season.

Former third-round selection from 2013 and disappointment defensive end Sam Montgomery is trying to rejuvenate his football career with the Memphis Express and fan-favorite running back Akeem Hunt had an impressive game for the Orlando Apollos. LINK

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25944721/bold-2019-nfl-offseason-predictions-all-32-teams

Scroll down to the Texans because apparently I'm still not allowed to copy and paste here.
You can copy and paste as long as it's not the entire article (some exceptions if very short piece).........and you include the link for the article.

Houston Texans

Le'Veon Bell calls Houston home in 2019.

The Texans have a Pro Bowl quarterback and receiver in Deshaun Watson and DeAndre Hopkins and a defense that's led by J.J. Watt. Bell, who didn't play a down for Pittsburgh in 2018, will elevate Houston's offense and allow Watt and the defense more time on the sideline while pushing the Colts for the top spot in the AFC South. -- Mike Wells

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Defensive backs like safety Kurtis Drummond and cornerback Robert Nelson Jr. had strong games for their respective teams and at one point were players on the rise for the Texans. The San Antonio Commanders feature three former Texans offensive lineman that could not crack their depth chart but now are starting in left tackle Jaryd Jones-Smith, right guard Mason Gentry and right tackle Andrew McDonald. Wide receiver Chris Thompson showed promise for the Texans in his rookie season of 2017 but was injured for majority of the 2018 training camp and was released prior to the start of the season.

Former third-round selection from 2013 and disappointment defensive end Sam Montgomery is trying to rejuvenate his football career with the Memphis Express and fan-favorite running back Akeem Hunt had an impressive game for the Orlando Apollos. LINK
Whoa talk about a blast from the past.

Now that Kareem Hunt has signed with the Browns, are you guys changing your minds about the Texans going after Bell? The Browns ain’t playing around and on paper seem to have a great backfield in Chubb and Hunt. Here’s hoping for some breaking news in the coming weeks for the Texans!

Now that Kareem Hunt has signed with the Browns, are you guys changing your minds about the Texans going after Bell?
Our minds have nothing to do with it. Will Gaine, O'Brien, and Cal collectively decide to go after Bell?

Magic 8 Ball says...

magic-8-ball.jpg

I was reading some espn articles and it was saying who will be the ones to watch and why and mentioned Bell was now in Houston as fact but perhaps it was just speculation .
Anyway.. thus was my reason for said thread and maybe it was premature so, linkless threads get deleted and that's fine.
I'll you kids start the threads from now on.

?

I'm glad this thread was started.

Great post.

I really enjoyed fitting football around golf Sunday.

The football was really good and I liked the Sky Judge. The 5 man rush rule really helps the offenses.

Very ahead of the curve and I actually love watching Bercovicci (SP) get his helmet knocked off along with other hard hits and no flags being thrown. It was like real football. Very innovative an the NFL would do well to make some of these adjustments.

Now that Kareem Hunt has signed with the Browns, are you guys changing your minds about the Texans going after Bell? The Browns ain’t playing around and on paper seem to have a great backfield in Chubb and Hunt. Here’s hoping for some breaking news in the coming weeks for the Texans!

As to your question yes I would sign Bell but as far as the Browns go to me that doesn't show they "ain't playing around" it shows that they will take any player they think will help them win no matter what that player has done. I lost a lot of respect for that team when they signed him. Oh I knew some team, somewhere would do it and I was afraid it would be us. I don't care if it was a sure thing that Hunt would win us a super bowl, some things are more important than football and not showing kids watching this that you can get away with anything as long as you can play a game very well is one of those things.

I hope this comes back to bite them in the ass.

As to your question yes I would sign Bell but as far as the Browns go to me that doesn't show they "ain't playing around" it shows that they will take any player they think will help them win no matter what that player has done. I lost a lot of respect for that team when they signed him. Oh I knew some team, somewhere would do it and I was afraid it would be us. I don't care if it was a sure thing that Hunt would win us a super bowl, some things are more important than football and not showing kids watching this that you can get away with anything as long as you can play a game very well is one of those things.

I hope this comes back to bite them in the ass.

Well Dorsey did draft him, and Dorsey doesn't really care about that stuff hence why Tyreek Hill is on the Chiefs and now somehow a darling of the league.

But honestly I think Hunt should be suspended, but his actions shouldn't prevent him from being employed by the league. I've seen the video several times, it was 2 drunk adults being stupid. Both had plenty of opportunities to walk away, neither did but he wasn't sitting there beating her either.

Well Dorsey did draft him, and Dorsey doesn't really care about that stuff hence why Tyreek Hill is on the Chiefs and now somehow a darling of the league.

But honestly I think Hunt should be suspended, but his actions shouldn't prevent him from being employed by the league. I've seen the video several times, it was 2 drunk adults being stupid. Both had plenty of opportunities to walk away, neither did but he wasn't sitting there beating her either.

I'm not saying bar him for life but also I think handing him another big money contract less than 6 months after it happens sends the wrong answer. If that had been an average citizen they would still be at least on bail and awaiting trial. But he's a football player so all that means is he might not get to play a game for a few weeks and get a slap on the wrist fine.

Last edited:
I'm not saying bar him for life but also I think handing him another big money contract less than 6 months after it happens sends the wrong answer. If that had been an average citizen they would still be at least on bail and awaiting trial. But he's a football player so all that means is he might not get to play a game for a few weeks and get a slap on the wrist fine.

Well he didn't get a big contract, he signed for the league minimum with incentives that might push it over $1 million. Pretty small NFL contract.

If that had been an ordinary citizen they would have returned to work on Monday like nothing ever happened, because the cops who showed up decided after watching the film and talking to witnesses that no crime had been committed, it was 2 people being dumb and drunk, but there was no damage to property or person so no reason to file charges

Well he didn't get a big contract, he signed for the league minimum with incentives that might push it over $1 million. Pretty small NFL contract.

If that had been an ordinary citizen they would have returned to work on Monday like nothing ever happened, because the cops who showed up decided after watching the film and talking to witnesses that no crime had been committed, it was 2 people being dumb and drunk, but there was no damage to property or person so no reason to file charges

Really, you don't think that him being a major NFL star on a team that seemed bound for the super bowl had nothing to do with them deciding that there was no crime? Also the league minimum is still a big contract, these guys are paid millions to play a game.

Really, you don't think that him being a major NFL star on a team that seemed bound for the super bowl had nothing to do with them deciding that there was no crime? Also the league minimum is still a big contract, these guys are paid millions to play a game.

No I don't, I've seen similar things happen in real life and the cops chalk it up to people being dumb and let it go. They weren't in public so can't charge them with a PI, no harm was done to either party, or the property so you can't charge them there, one of them could have tried pressing charges on the other but they didn't so no reason to arrest them there. Sure the cops could have taken them in for causing a disturbance, but they won't a lot of the times.

You also say you shouldn't bar him for life, but then you have an issue with a team giving him the bare minimum they can give him, a full year after the incident occurred. So which is it, should he be out of the league or should he get a second chance?

No I don't, I've seen similar things happen in real life and the cops chalk it up to people being dumb and let it go. They weren't in public so can't charge them with a PI, no harm was done to either party, or the property so you can't charge them there, one of them could have tried pressing charges on the other but they didn't so no reason to arrest them there. Sure the cops could have taken them in for causing a disturbance, but they won't a lot of the times.

You also say you shouldn't bar him for life, but then you have an issue with a team giving him the bare minimum they can give him, a full year after the incident occurred. So which is it, should he be out of the league or should he get a second chance?

One year is not even close to life, also we didn't learn about it till a few months ago so its not like he has been barred for that entire year. Hunt was never sorry it happened he was sorry he got caught. Look we are just going to have to agree to disagree, I don't want to assume anything about your feelings on this but something tells me we are not going to see eye to eye.

To me Hunt is another example of everything wrong with society today. You can do anything as long as you have money and are famous. Don't get me wrong there are players like Watson that have great stories of hard work and I'm glad for their success, still think they are overpaid but its not my money.

FYI a hotel hallway, like the one this happened in, is considered to be public.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/police/aug02.htm

"Thus, in the court's view, a hotel hallway is in fact a public place for purposes of the public intoxication statute."

Also the excuse of being dumb and drunk is a very poor excuse and should never be used to defend anything.

Yep

Bottom line

Browns got a pro bowl RB for cheap and the Texans didn't. Now the Texans to try to stop the likes of Hill/Hunt instead of them being weapons that Watson could really use. Oh well it is what it is.

One year is not even close to life, also we didn't learn about it till a few months ago so its not like he has been barred for that entire year. Hunt was never sorry it happened he was sorry he got caught. Look we are just going to have to agree to disagree, I don't want to assume anything about your feelings on this but something tells me we are not going to see eye to eye.

To me Hunt is another example of everything wrong with society today. You can do anything as long as you have money and are famous. Don't get me wrong there are players like Watson that have great stories of hard work and I'm glad for their success, still think they are overpaid but its not my money.

FYI a hotel hallway, like the one this happened in, is considered to be public.

http://www.clarkprosecutor.org/html/police/aug02.htm

"Thus, in the court's view, a hotel hallway is in fact a public place for purposes of the public intoxication statute."

Also the excuse of being dumb and drunk is a very poor excuse and should never be used to defend anything.

I think it's a poor excuse as well, but I bar tended for many years saw similar things if not worse that the cops did nothing over. I don't think they didn't arrest him because he has money and is famous. I've seen broke, random joe blows gets similar treatment numerous times. Not saying that money doesn't matter, we have all seen cases where a person "buys" themselves out of trouble I just don't see this being one of them. Now his status as a player, and a very good one at that is probably why the NFL and Chiefs kept all this hush hush until someone leaked the video. Idk there was just nothing I saw in the video that made me think anyone should be arrested, give them a couple of citations and move on.

But again if he shouldn't be barred from the NFL like you said, then when should a team have signed him in your eyes?

Yep

Bottom line

Browns got a pro bowl RB for cheap and the Texans didn't. Now the Texans to try to stop the likes of Hill/Hunt instead of them being weapons that Watson could really use. Oh well it is what it is.

Hill's a POS I don;t care how good he is, and how much he would help our team. I think the NFL should have never allowed him in the league, and I thought he should have been tried for attempted murder, as beating your pregnant girlfriends stomach is a direct attempt to kill the child inside

I think it's a poor excuse as well, but I bar tended for many years saw similar things if not worse that the cops did nothing over. I don't think they didn't arrest him because he has money and is famous. I've seen broke, random joe blows gets similar treatment numerous times. Not saying that money doesn't matter, we have all seen cases where a person "buys" themselves out of trouble I just don't see this being one of them. Now his status as a player, and a very good one at that is probably why the NFL and Chiefs kept all this hush hush until someone leaked the video. Idk there was just nothing I saw in the video that made me think anyone should be arrested, give them a couple of citations and move on.

But again if he shouldn't be barred from the NFL like you said, then when should a team have signed him in your eyes?

Not saying I have the answers or a set amount of time but this feels like it was to soon. This explains how I feel about it better than I can, read it or not its your choice but I agree with it that the NFL is becoming a place where they don't care what kind of a person you are just what kind of a player you are and if you are winning games then anything can be forgiven.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...tely-nothing-as-kareem-hunt-signs-with-browns

Not saying I have the answers or a set amount of time but this feels like it was to soon. This explains how I feel about it better than I can, read it or not its your choice but I agree with it that the NFL is becoming a place where they don't care what kind of a person you are just what kind of a player you are and if you are winning games then anything can be forgiven.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...tely-nothing-as-kareem-hunt-signs-with-browns

No, I agree the NFL should be judged by what they let a lot of their players get away with because in almost every case if you can play, you're ok. I think Hunt should be suspended a good number of games, like 8-10 due to the multiple incidents he has had over the last year. Although I do commend him for taking steps to fix his alcohol and anger issues, he should still be punished just not unemployed.

But the NFL's whole mock justice system is incredibly flawed. They suspended Zeke for 6 games when the police said their was no evidence, the accusers friends said she was making it up, and their own PI said he found no evidence of DV and recommended no punishment. Reuben Foster on the other hand didn't face a suspension when he was accused, because she later dropped the case only to accuse him of it again years down the road. I guess we will see if he get's handed a suspension this time. Brady got 4 games because he might have been in on the scheme to deflate some footballs, but Greg Hardy got 4 games for beating a girl and threatening her life with a gun.

Yep

Bottom line

That's not the "bottom line", that's not even close to the bottom line. Some things are way more important than can a guy help a team win a football game. I have a new son along the way and I'm not sure I want him to watch football until I know he can understand why some people are cheering for a guy, being glad that guy is playing on their team and talking about how great he is while saying that outside football he's a scum bag. Not a conversation I'm looking forward to.

That's not the "bottom line", that's not even close to the bottom line. Some things are way more important than can a guy help a team win a football game. I have a new son along the way and I'm not sure I want him to watch football until I know he can understand why some people are cheering for a guy, being glad that guy is playing on their team and talking about how great he is while saying that outside football he's a scum bag. Not a conversation I'm looking forward to.

I watched football with my son, still do sometimes and this wasn't an issue.

Hill's a POS I don;t care how good he is, and how much he would help our team. I think the NFL should have never allowed him in the league, and I thought he should have been tried for attempted murder, as beating your pregnant girlfriends stomach is a direct attempt to kill the child inside

I dont disagree with you.

However I believe in 2nd chances and it appears Hill has made the most of his 2nd chance. Good for him.

J.J. Watt to serve as Daytona 500 grand marshal
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. --Houston TexansstarJ.J. Wattwill serve as the grand marshal for the Daytona 500, making him the first NFL player to give the command for drivers to starts their engines before NASCAR's most famous race.
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/25974153/jj-watt-serve-daytona-500-grand-marshal
Curious decision by the Indy officials ? I dunno want an NFL guy so why not just go with the local guy, Andy Luck ?
Big honor for shore.

J.J. Watt to serve as Daytona 500 grand marshal
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. --Houston TexansstarJ.J. Wattwill serve as the grand marshal for the Daytona 500, making him the first NFL player to give the command for drivers to starts their engines before NASCAR's most famous race.
http://www.espn.com/racing/nascar/story/_/id/25974153/jj-watt-serve-daytona-500-grand-marshal
Curious decision by the Indy officials ? I dunno want an NFL guy so why not just go with the local guy, Andy Luck ?
Big honor for shore.

What does Indy have to do with the Daytona 500?

Back