Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans place Franchise Tag on D Rob today.

Wow, JLR really is off the reservation with that entry. Rick Smith should apologize? For what, not being the NFL's prodigy of stupid? There's no chance in hell that Rick Smith promised Dunta or his agent that the team wouldn't use the franchise tag because that would be surrendering all leverage to Dunta's agent. You don't do that in negotiations. Smith may have expressed to Team Robinson that the franchise tag wasn't the team's goal, either, but that doesn't mean they would not use it under any circumstance. Dunta needs to get a sense of perspective and consider the team's interest, too. He is not that stupid. Once he wises up and gets his agent out of his ear maybe he'll stop being so butthurt about this.

I may be WAY off base here - but let me pose this question:
How many teams/fans were talking up Drob like others here have been talking up other free agents?

We have discussed Peppers, Haynesworth, noted Fred Taylor and others through the years.

I have been listening hard to Sirius NFL, Sports 610 and NFL.com, plus poked around at the other teams message boards, and, I have heard barely over a whisper about picking up Drob.

Don't get me wrong, the line starts behind me when it comes to singing his praises.

I just felt a little jilted when I read/heard his comments about being disappointed about the FT.

I'm looking forward to seeing the details of the offer, if any and what went so wrong. I want him to be here and stay and retire here. He's one of the good guys!

So, could it have been that the 'under the radar' talk just wasn't good enough?

Looking forward to your thoughts :)

Besides Nnamdi, Dunta is arguably the best FA CB this year along with Hayden and Nnamdi & Hayden are signed to long term deals. Ive seen alot of other forums and websites that have Dunta high on the list. I really think the money was there but possibly the structure of the contract irks Dunta and his agent. I really dont think Dunta thinks he is worth more than Nnamdi or Gamble.

You guys are ignoring an obvious possibility. Dunta doesn't really want to be in Houston anymore.

He won't come out and say it because thats not the kind of guy he is, but he wants out. I know he wanted out at the end of last season, and unless something has changed, I would assume he still wants to go. He wants to play for a team thats contending right now. He's an incredible competitor.

Unless he was offered some ridiculous contract, I honestly think Dunta has been planning on becoming a UFA for a while. I think he believed he could just turn down contract offers and test the waters of FA.

Maybe something changed after Smith was fired, but from the looks of everything thats happened/happening, I wouldnt think so

Last edited:
You guys are ignoring an obvious possibility. Dunta doesn't really want to be in Houston anymore.

He won't come out and say it because thats not the kind of guy he is, but he wants out. I know he wanted out at the end of last season, and unless something has changed, I would assume he still wants to go. He wants to play for a team thats contending right now. He's an incredible competitor.

Unless he was offered some ridiculous contract, I honestly think Dunta has been planning on becoming a UFA for a while. I think he believed he could just turn down contract offers and test the waters of FA.

Maybe something changed after Smith was fired, but from the looks of everything thats happened/happening, I wouldnt think so

Just curious - How do you "know" he wanted out at the end of last year? I realize there was speculation, but was there something that went beyond that?

Just curious - How do you "know" he wanted out at the end of last year? I realize there was speculation, but was there something that went beyond that?

My source was one of Robinsons rehab doctors, who that told me last year that Robinson was done as a Texan and that he wanted to leave at the end of year. He told me Robinson was pretty clear when he talked to him

Like I said, things could have changed since that point in time because of the Smith firing. But I dont know

Last edited:
My source was one of Robinsons rehab doctors, who that told me last year that Robinson was done as a Texan and that he wanted to leave at the end of year. He told me Robinson was pretty clear when he talked to him

Like I said, things could have changed since that point in time because of the Smith firing. But I dont know

Well, you kind of cross your fingers and hope that if that was the case, it's changed because of the new DC, or whatever. He wouldn't be the first to do an about face on things - Lance Briggs, and perhaps (since it might be premature to include him) Anquan Boldin are two that come to mind immediately.

Well, you kind of cross your fingers and hope that if that was the case, it's changed because of the new DC, or whatever. He wouldn't be the first to do an about face on things - Lance Briggs, and perhaps (since it might be premature to include him) Anquan Boldin are two that come to mind immediately.

To be fair, Dunta might want out of Houston due to being assaulted, robbed, and tied up in a closet during a home invasion.

If this is true and the front office knows that he really just wants to get out of Htown and go play for another team, trade him for draft picks now.

If this is true and the front office knows that he really just wants to get out of Htown and go play for another team, trade him for draft picks now.

Agreed. If this is the way he feels then the best thing to do is trade him.

If this is true, then he nor his representation were bargining in good faith...i.e. that if our demands are matched (or close enough) then there is a deal to be had. That is just as dishonest as what he is accusing Rick Smith of doing.

If this is true, then he nor his representation were bargining in good faith...i.e. that if our demands are matched (or close enough) then there is a deal to be had. That is just as dishonest as what he is accusing Rick Smith of doing.

Thats what Ive sort of felt all along. And why it doesn't surprise me that he rejected the Gamble-esque contract he was apparently offered.

The fact that he was negotiating at all tells me that either
1) His desire to leave can be mitigated with money
or
2) The coaching and personnel changes have convinced him to stick around

I think Dunta wants to win more than anything. Whether he believes that the Texans can be a contender next season is something I don't know at this point. Maybe the Cardinals superbowl run helped change his opinion

Another interesting theory is:

Yes, Dunta wants to win.

BUT

He wants to go to a proven winner with a large contract because he knows he's not a good enough player to turn around our current secondary and needs to play with a better back seven to hide the weaknesses that us Texan homers have glossed over in the past.

Okay, here's my theory on why different people saw the Smith press conference differently:
Spinning Rick Smith and a Texans-centric look at the draft and free agency

Admittedly, it is a weird blog post. But y'all might be interested in it because it discusses something that we talk about a lot here--how reading a press conference in its entirety can give you a different feeling about a situation then when reading a press account.

I like a blog post where I can discuss quantum physics and Dumb and Dumber at the same time.

The offseason is long.

Dunta wants his money and if another team is willing to give it to him then I suggest he goes to that team when he is permitted.

Unfortunately, that's the "feel" I got from McLame's article in the Chronicle as well. He stated that Dunta "wanted to test FA". That doesn't sound like a guy trying to get a deal done w/ the Texans. I also didn't like Dunta's comment regarding Training Camp.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” Robinson said. “If you ask me right now, I wouldn’t be there (training camp).

Mr. Robinson - We fans LOVE what you bring to the game, but let's not get too carried away.

Please don't start acting like a petulant child over words you didn't directly hear yourself.

“I don’t appreciate him (Smith) telling my agent that I wouldn’t get tagged and then doing it, anyway.”

He's coming off a catastrophic injury, didn't ever reach his pre-injury level of play before last season ended, was offered C. Gamble-like $$ and still isn't happy that he got tagged? Welcome to NFL reality.

Hey guys, did anyone notice that Brandon Jacobs signed a 4 year deal today after getting the franchise tag slapped on him? Hope Dunta payed attention to how Jacobs handled his situation instead of the way he decided to handle his.

I'm not sure what numbers D Rob and the Texans are haggling over right now, but I have a funny feeling D Rob is going to be playing 2009 under the Franchise Tag contract. The market for CB contracts aren't getting any cheaper with the likes of Oakland and Washington shelling out big bucks. I can't see the Texans agreeing on anything with him, especially if DR's agent is thinking about raising the numbers as CB's sign contracts.....

What do you think right now????????

I'm not sure what numbers D Rob and the Texans are haggling over right now, but I have a funny feeling D Rob is going to be playing 2009 under the Franchise Tag contract. The market for CB contracts aren't getting any cheaper with the likes of Oakland and Washington shelling out big bucks. I can't see the Texans agreeing on anything with him, especially if DR's agent is thinking about raising the numbers as CB's sign contracts.....

What do you think right now????????

Well, when he uses Deangelo Hall's contract as an example, it's pretty hard to argue that Dunta isn't clearly the better player- and Hall just got over $25 million in guarantees... Man, I'm thankful for Washington for getting Haynesworth out of Tennessee, but they're really driving up the price of some of the market!

It looks more likely that we may eventually trade Dunta or have to franchise him again next season for $12 million

Well, when he uses Deangelo Hall's contract as an example, it's pretty hard to argue that Dunta isn't clearly the better player- and Hall just got over $25 million in guarantees... Man, I'm thankful for Washington for getting Haynesworth out of Tennessee, but they're really driving up the price of some of the market!

It looks more likely that we may eventually trade Dunta or have to franchise him again next season for $12 million

That is if he does not put in a stipulation that he can not be franchised again next season.

I was just reading this interesting analysis over at the examiner:

Nnamdi Asomugha Raiders 3 years, $45-$50 million. First two years ($28.5 million) guaranteed

Chris Gamble Panthers 6 years, $53 million, $23 million guaranteed

DeAngelo Hall Redskins 6 years, $54 million, $22.5 million guaranteed
2/09

Kelvin Hayden Cots 5 years, $43 million, $22.5 million guaranteed
3/07

Nate Clements 49ers 8 years, $80 million, $22 million guaranteed
3/08

Marcus Trufant Seahawks 6 years, $50.2 million, $20 million guaranteed
12/08

Corey Webster Giants 5 years, $43 million, $20 million guaranteed
3/08

Asante Samuel Eagles 6 years, $57 million, $20 million guaranteed
2/09

Domonique Foxworth Ravens 4 years, $27.2 million, $16.5 million guaranteed
3/09

Ron Bartell

Rams

4 years, $28 million, $13.6 million guaranteed
3/09

Jabari Greer

Saints

4 years, $23 million, $10 million guaranteed
3/08

Jacques Reeves

Texans

5 years, $20 million, $8 million guaranteed
3/09

Philip Buchanon

Lions

2 years, $8.5 million
3/09

Drayton Florence

Bills

2 years, $6.6 - $7.3 million

I have to tell you after looking at that I"m actually a bit suprised that Robinson didn't take the cash. Now, there's no official word on what the offer was but I find this very interesting. It would appear that they were trying to pay him in the "2nd best corner in football" range, which I would argue he isn't. I think he's terrific mind you. And he's worth more to us than any other franchise hands down.

check out the article:

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...r-the-Texans-and-Robinson-to-kiss-and-make-up

It's interesting.

I'm curious, those of you who may know more about this than me, where would you rank those top 3 or 4 DB's are they ranked as they are paid?

I don't know why time has made you change your mind. If Dunta turned down 23 million guaranteed, then yeah - he just thinks he's better than he actually is.

As far as those top contracts - DeAngelo Hall is nowhere near a top 5 CB. I mean, if talent was everything, then sure... but we all know it's not. Hayden also can't sniff the top 5.

Also - I don't know if the Ravens were desperate or what - but that contract for D. Foxworth is a joke. How he got 16.5 million guaranteed and Jabari Greer got 10, I'll never know.

The problem is we don't know the details of Robinson's deal.

It could have been 4 years 30 million with 23.5 million guaranteed...
or it could have been 5 years 50 million with 23.5 guaranteed...
or it could have been 3 years 180 Billion (by meeting crazy incentives) with 23.5 guaranteed.

Kind of hard to make any definitive statements when we don't know the half of it.

The problem is we don't know the details of Robinson's deal.

It could have been 4 years 30 million with 23.5 million guaranteed...
or it could have been 5 years 50 million with 23.5 guaranteed...
or it could have been 3 years 180 Billion (by meeting crazy incentives) with 23.5 guaranteed.

Kind of hard to make any definitive statements when we don't know the half of it.

Yeah. Absolutely true.

Guy can say whatever he wants, just as I can tell him to simply shut up and play.

Outspoken is well taken.
Comes a point called performance!

Dunta actually got a little break last year, so it works both ways.
I believe I've been a loyal fan to all the players, but it's a two-way street.
Your choice, Dunta!
Dunno what's best for ya', all I can say is the worst can come in a hurry.

Thanks for your input, but what I'm really asking is; what are the top tier CB's and what are they worth. If Dunta is a top 10 or even 15, but he's #1 to us, then I 'm curious where his "value" lies.

is Jabaree Greer or Samuel or Gamble getting paid what they are worth in the market?

I'm sure Dunta AND the Texans have an inflated view of his worth as compared to the rest of the NFL, but where do these other guys lie? are they similar in that they are worth more to their teams than they are to the competitive market? If so then it would seem that (assuming Dunta was offered what has been reported to be offered) that he was worth the top 5 pay scale and if he turned that down then he's dilusional; if it was less then that then I say he wasn't being offered his market value. (in that he is worth more to the Texans than anyone else).

Thanks for your input, but what I'm really asking is; what are the top tier CB's and what are they worth. If Dunta is a top 10 or even 15, but he's #1 to us, then I 'm curious where his "value" lies.

is Jabaree Greer or Samuel or Gamble getting paid what they are worth in the market?

I'm sure Dunta AND the Texans have an inflated view of his worth as compared to the rest of the NFL, but where do these other guys lie? are they similar in that they are worth more to their teams than they are to the competitive market? If so then it would seem that (assuming Dunta was offered what has been reported to be offered) that he was worth the top 5 pay scale and if he turned that down then he's dilusional; if it was less then that then I say he wasn't being offered his market value. (in that he is worth more to the Texans than anyone else).

Asomugha is in a league of his own, and the Raiders had to pay extra to keep him from bolting.
I thought Greer would get more.
Asante is getting about what he should.
Gamble is probably getting around what he's worth. He can be a shut down corner, and a playmaker.
Trufant is up and down. He's worth that much when he's playing up to his potential.
Hall got overpaid by a massive amount. Dude got cut from the Raiders, and was the 3rd corner for the Skins.
The Clements deal never made sense to me, but most of it is money he will never see anyways.
Foxworth is a big potential guy who has played well in stretches.

The more I think about this the more I end up with "Dunta just wants out" because it sounds like he got a pretty fair deal. I doubt Smith blew his socks off but who has he done that too? Nobody. Hopefully this year of kicking ass and taking names leaves Dunta a list of teams who are worse than the mighty, mighty Texans.

I believe as big a knuckle dragger as I am....I could make 6.5 million after taxes work for me. Talk about being set up...Stocks are down. Real estate is down.... banks are going under....all you need to dance is cash. I believe he was thinking why take 10 when everyone else is getting fourteen per year guaranteed ? But as I posted...ten is good. No income Taxes in Texas. He should count his blessing and invest. No matter what happpens next year...he does a good job he should be set for life.

Also - I don't know if the Ravens were desperate or what - but that contract for D. Foxworth is a joke. How he got 16.5 million guaranteed and Jabari Greer got 10, I'll never know.

the maket is set....Starting top ten Cb is worth fourteen milion per year the first two years. Now Rb on the other hand is 6.6 mill. The best DT...100 million....go figure.

From what I heard, Dunta was offered a package that was almost identical in scope to what C. Gamble got and turned it down because HE wanted to test FA (his own words, per McLame). After hearing that, any claims that the Texans were being unfair and not operating in "good faith" went out the window for me, as it appears NEITHER side was interested in full disclosure of their motives.

dunta is apparently still working out at the complex according to todays interview with molden on ht.com? that seems strange no?

dunta is apparently still working out at the complex according to todays interview with molden on ht.com? that seems strange no?

Dunta is going to play for the Texans in 2009, so there is not reason for them to deny him access to the training facilities and staff unless there is a liability issue I am not aware exists. By not signing the tag, Robinson is not required to attend of the off-season stuff, but has no real reason not to use what he can to stay in shape for when chooses to sign and participate.

Dunta is going to play for the Texans in 2009, so there is not reason for them to deny him access to the training facilities and staff unless there is a liability issue I am not aware exists. By not signing the tag, Robinson is not required to attend of the off-season stuff, but has no real reason not to use what he can to stay in shape for when chooses to sign and participate.

yeah but he was saying he mightnt attend OTA's etc so it seems like he changed his mind pretty quickly by heading in this early

Just an update on where this stands:

While the Texans offseason conditioning program begins Monday, the team may not see Robinson until training camp.

"Right now I haven't signed the franchise tag (contract), so I won't be there," Robinson said. "Still have some things that we gotta go through as far as football goes. I'm looking forward to getting on the field as quickly as I can. There are just some things we have to work out through management."

When asked if he would take part in the Texans mandatory mini-camp in May Robinson said, "Not sure yet. Like I said I will sit down and discuss that with my team (agents) and whatever happens, happens.

"Right now my focus is just staying in shape and whenever those things do get corrected I am going to make sure I am out on the football field."

Robinson acknowledges it will be hard for him to not be with his teammates beginning next week.

"Definitly it will be hard," Robinson said. "This is the business side of it. Just like they run a business at Reliant Stadium, I have to treat myself in the same fashion. There are no hard feelings.

"It's just all business. I think we will come to some kind of conclusion and things will get worked out."

Robinson does not believe missing offseason workouts will hinder his development as a football player.

"I'm going into my sixth season." Robinson said. "I've seen it all. Would I like to be out on the football field, definitely because this is what I love to do. This is the part of football that everybody hates and it's the business side of things. We just have to get some things situated."

Robinson has already told the Texans he will not be involved in their offseason program until his contract situation is resolved.

"Dunta told me the same thing a few weeks ago," said Gary Kubiak, Texans head coach. "Obviously our offseason programs are voluntary. We would love to have him around here, but we will work through it.

"We are counting on him big-time and he told me that I can count on him and so can his teammates and that's what's important."

Link

Back