Texans place Franchise Tag on D Rob today.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by J-Russ, Feb 9, 2009.

1. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

http://www.examiner.com/x-778-Houst...a-watch--expect-more-franchise-tags-this-week

2. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

I don't really think Dunta and his agent have all that much leverage with the current situation. I would be a fan of the non-exclusive franchise tag.

No team will pay that much for him AND give up two 1st round draft picks. Gives us more time to negotiate a long-term deal too which would void the tag.

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I think our defense is better with Dunta in there, which makes our whole team better. But in the current light of our economy, I am sickened by these millions paid to sports figures. I quit watching baseball a long time ago because of this crap, I hope that doesn't happen to me with football.

4. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

well, as long as contracts aren't guaranteed, at least the players will be giving effort in the NFL, unlike MLB and NBA.

5. texanskan

texanskan Veteran

I have zero problems with football player contracts they put their bodies on the line and are the best at what they do.

IMO with non-guaranteed contracts it's hard to complain

6. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

That's really the only reason they would be putting the tag on him. It's always possible that they can't work out a deal and he play's with the Tag. It's better for the Salary Cap if they work out a long term deal. Hopefully a deal gets done. DR has value on the field and the locker room with the Texans.

7. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Well, of course we're not going to let him walk without compensation. I don't think anyone who knows anything about the NFL thinks otherwise. It's always been either overpay a little bit, or franchise tag him. Did anyone think otherwise?

8. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Would you rather pay Dunta top 5 CB money or have him walk away for nothing?

I think that burdening our cap with a bloated salary for Dunta is long term a bigger issue than letting him walk away for nothing.

Put me in the "Hope Dunta resigns for a Top 20ish level contract or let him go" camp. (Even then I think we are over paying him as a CB, but I will pay him for his leadership and toughness qualities)

9. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Don't forget that if we dont' tag him and he signs a big deal somewhere else, we'll probably get a 3rd or 4th in compensation from the NFL

10. PHAROAH

PHAROAH All Pro

I say franchise him and if we can't come to an agreement we can work out a trade instead of getting two 1st round picks maybe we take a 1st & 3rd rounder in aprils draft and get his replacement at a cheap price. Dunta is a really good player but he isn't worth that kind of coin plus we don't know how his knee will hold up long term wise.

11. TheRealJoker

TheRealJoker Hall of Fame

And you expect a team to give up a 1st and 3rd for him?

12. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Well if it was limited to only those two choices? I'd let him walk - but we have the franchise tag. If you're asking if I'd rather let him walk or pay him top 5 money for one year via the franchise tag - that's easy. Franchise tag.

Let's not forget that if he DOES get back to 100%, he could be entering the prime of his career. He was playing at a pro bowl level before the injury, and if he's about to do that for say 3 or 4 years, you have to pay for it. You know he's not going to get lazy after his big contract. He works his tail off. I'd rather pay a LITTLE too much for him than go with an unproven commodity who you never know if they'll gel with the team, etc.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If some team wanted DR & we couldn't work out a deal with him I would ask for a 1st rd pick. If we got the 1st rd pick we could trade our 1st rd pick for Peppers & use Detroit's (for example) pick no.21 that we aquired for DR to pick a DB like DJ Moore.

14. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

No way Dunta is worth what he is asking. Even pre-injury that would be almost laughable

Good player, but not top 5 or 20

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I don't understand this, "he was playing at a pro-bowl level before the injury" stuff. I think he was playing at an NFL starter level, but not pro-bowl level. I don't think he's ever been a pro-bowl corner. His coverage skills are very poor. He's our best tackler....... he use to hit like a Mack Truck, and he shut down the outside edge for any running back in the game......

That spells strong safety to me.

But, IMHO, if the Texans are close to giving him $20 million gauranteed, if that's what they think he is worth, I can't see them not closing the deal on $23 million.

If they are still at a stale mate, the Texans have got to be closer to $17 million.

16. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

Even if he signs for top 5 CB money I really don't see what the big deal is. The salary cap is so large now that unless you really go overboard in FA its not as big a deal as it once was. In a couple years his contract will look better than the day after he signs it. Its not like we are the type of team that desperately needs all that cap space to go after some big name guy, we have been building through the draft fairly effectively the last few years. I would hate to see us lose young talent like that without any compensation, especially at a position of such value and need. Bottom line is I'd much rather spend the money on Dunta than one or two similarly over-priced free agents.

17. dtran04

dtran04 Hall of Fame

One positive is that if Dunta does leave, you would expect the Texans to receive about a 3rd-4th round compensatory pick if they don't go out and sign someone significant. The Texans always seem to replace everybody they let go and never take advantage of the compensatory system.

18. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Hes not worth 23 mill hes not that good plzzz if i know the texans they dont throw money around and there smart if they do this one year and wait and see deal

19. DiehardChris

DiehardChris You betcha!

Maybe my memory is fuzzy - but I remember him playing extremely well before he got hurt. I really thought he was entering his prime.

Wolf likes this.
  20. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

This.

We've never let anyone of significance go before. Maybe its time to rip off the bandaid.

I like Dunta for his leadership and tough mentality more than anything. But I don't want us to spend top 5 money on him. People are being shortsighted if they think thats all it will amount to. Every other player on our roster will get the idea that all you have to do is threaten free agency in order to get a big payday. I would be pissed if I was a like AJ who has led the team offensively and made numerous probowls, yet was making less than a guy like DRob