Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Texans' Cap space......and the rest of the League

I heard somewhere that roughly $9M will be dedicated to signing rookies, since we're picking so high. Anyone know if that's an accurate figure?

So 13.5M - 8.5M = 5M left to play with. We should be able to go out and find a couple more mid level FA's to fill a couple more spots. I'd really like to see the Texans find an inexpensive but fairly talented RT to compete for the spot. I don't think we're ever getting anything out of B. Williams. Newton sucked but he played the entire year injured so gets to compete for the position in camp along with ???

I'd really like to see the Texans find an inexpensive but fairly talented RT to compete for the spot. I don't think we're ever getting anything out of B. Williams. Newton sucked but he played the entire year injured so gets to compete for the position in camp along with ???

I wouldn't be surprised if OB & Dunn put Quessenberry in the mix. Just because Kubiak looked at him as a guard doesn't make him a guard. He looks like a tackle to me.

Quessenberry.jpg

I heard somewhere that roughly $9M will be dedicated to signing rookies, since we're picking so high. Anyone know if that's an accurate figure?

About $7.1m towards the cap to sign the rookies. Using the Top 51 rule, only the picks in Rounds 1 through 4 will affect the cap. Later round & un-drafted players will be outside of the Top 51 and will not affect the cap at this time.

So 13.5M - 8.5M = 5M left to play with. We should be able to go out and find a couple more mid level FA's to fill a couple more spots. I'd really like to see the Texans find an inexpensive but fairly talented RT to compete for the spot. I don't think we're ever getting anything out of B. Williams. Newton sucked but he played the entire year injured so gets to compete for the position in camp along with ???

The top remaining OT's are...

Eben Britton, 26
Charles Brown, 27
Tyson Clabo, 32
Ryan Harris, 29
David Stewart, 32
Eric Winston, 30

The top remaining OG's are...

Daryn Colledge, 32
Harvey Dahl, 33
Richie Incognito, 31
Davin Joseph, 30
Uche Nwaneri, 30
Travelle Wharton, 33

The top remaining OT's are...

Eben Britton, 26
Charles Brown, 27
Tyson Clabo, 32
Ryan Harris, 29
David Stewart, 32
Eric Winston, 30

The top remaining OG's are...

Daryn Colledge, 32
Harvey Dahl, 33
Richie Incognito, 31
Davin Joseph, 30
Uche Nwaneri, 30
Travelle Wharton, 33

Signing Richie on the cheap would allow enough cap space to upgrade the ILB/Nickel CB spots. Ritchie would be a huge upgrade over Wade Smith.

Signing Richie on the cheap would allow enough cap space to upgrade the ILB/Nickel CB spots. Ritchie would be a huge upgrade over Wade Smith.

I want nothing to do with Incognito. Guy has been a problem since his college days. A rebuilding team doesn't need the headache. I'd take Wharton though. He's getting up there, but he was excellent last year for Carolina.

I want nothing to do with Incognito. Guy has been a problem since his college days. A rebuilding team doesn't need the headache. I'd take Wharton though. He's getting up there, but he was excellent last year for Carolina.

Wharton would be a great choice if you just need a guy to step in for one year, which might be our plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if OB & Dunn put Quessenberry in the mix. Just because Kubiak looked at him as a guard doesn't make him a guard. He looks like a tackle to me.

Quessenberry.jpg

Oh I fully expect the Q to be in the mix in training camp and to end up as the starter at either LG or RT. I'm thinking it's LG so I expect an O-line draft pick somewhere in the 2nd-4th rounds. I really hope the Q has had a productive season and offseason, comes into camp healthy and has added about 20 lbs. of muscle. I so wish that we had more picks in the 2nd-4th rounds, we need lots of help and there's lots of depth in this draft.

I still think that if we've got a little money available in FA to spend that we should go after an O-lineman of some sort for added competition and depth.

Last edited:
Ben Jones at RG Quessenbury at RT. Bring in a vet like Joseph as depth inside and they need a swing tackle also.

JMO, but Ben Jones would suck at RG, he's not near big or strong enough to handle RG. Also why would we move Brandon Brooks from RG? The Q looked good in preseason at LG and I expect that will be his position in 2014 but he might also get the chance to play RT.

IMO, Brooks to remain at RG, Q at LG and draft Juwuan James for RT and Brandon Thomas to push Q and play all T/Gs as needed. Thomas may be better than Q coming out. Jones needs to keep learning center to replace Myers next year.

Not sure about after the injury, but I thought Quessenberry could solve this teams RT issues.

I'd rather see Brennan Williams bumped inside to guard.

Daily balance: http://nflplayers.com/reports/runpublicreport.aspx?report=top51

Rookie pool applies to draft picks over and above the Top 51. When the league goes to 53 man roster (usually 4PM Wed before the first game, Thurs) all rookie who make the squad, their salaries become part of the 53 man roster salary cap. Rookie salaries should be in the neighborhood of $7-$9 million. In addition teams also have to allocate approximately $5 million of the salary cap $$$ to cover IR replacements, LTBEs and practice squad.

Not sure about after the injury, but I thought Quessenberry could solve this teams RT issues.

I have hopes for Q at RT as well.

Brennan Williams? I'm afraid his type of injury isn't going to heal very well. I'm not expecting anything from him at this point.

I have hopes for Q at RT as well.

Brennan Williams? I'm afraid his type of injury isn't going to heal very well. I'm not expecting anything from him at this point.

From what I've hear from CND I don't expect much from Brennan either. But I think if he's going to have a chance to do anything, I think he might do better at guard...Where pass protection is as much as an emphasis.

Me too

Except I would like to see Brandon Thomas selected after trading up to 45/50 range in the draft if the Texans org is serious about solving the main problems that lead to 2-14. QB/Pass rush/OL.

They can add a CB/S with the supplemental 4th/5th rd picks.

Back