Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

"They called me...Mr. Glass"

Elijah_Price.jpg

soooo you can watch the Texans not pick him? No way in all of Hades do the Texans pick a QB that is related to a former #1 draft pick, made by the Texans, and was one of the biggest bust in NFL history....

What does any of that have to do with winning now?

If he is there, they pick him.

Carr scares the crap out of me. Yeah, he has a great arm - probably the best of the draft. But he can`t handle pressure at all. He has no pocket presents and when things get tough he crumbles, either with a sack or with a horrible throw. If you can`t handle pressure in college, you will get killed in the pros. I see him as the next Gabbert.

If a team was just a team, they'd think along the same lines as you. Unfortunately, teams are also businesses, and Carr would be bad press to the fans. I'll eat my rightful crow if it happens, but I'm telling you now there is no way they take Derek Carr even if he is there at 2-1 because of his relation to David.

But if they do I'll eat my crow, promise.

If we start this draft off with Clowney, and Teddy 1-2.. I would be a happy happy man, before all the bad press he received from the media, and them picking out there favorite players.. Bridgewater was the top QB on the board.. I think a lot of people is sleeping on him because of his pro day.. Maybe the Aaron Rogers comparison is not to far off.. :evil:

If we start this draft off with Clowney, and Teddy 1-2.. I would be a happy happy man, before all the bad press he received from the media, and them picking out there favorite players.. Bridgewater was the top QB on the board.. I think a lot of people is sleeping on him because of his pro day.. Maybe the Aaron Rogers comparison is not to far off.. :evil:

I suspect that we are going to find out in the long run that Bridgewater was the best QB in this draft all along. It's said all the time that the best football players do not have the best Pro Days or Combines; they just get it done on the field and in real games. The rest is fluff, hype, and workout-warrior crap.

I learned that lesson when I didn't like the Demeco Ryans pick. In fact, I hated it; but I was dead wrong. He was a PLAYER that didn't impress with fluff and hype.

before all the bad press he received from the media, and them picking out there favorite players.. Bridgewater was the top QB on the board.. I think a lot of people is sleeping on him because of his pro day.. Maybe the Aaron Rogers comparison is not to far off.. :evil:

On who's board?

That's the problem. As soon as they found out we had the first pick & that Bill O'Brien was our head coach, I think they realized that Teddy Bridgewater did not fit OB's ideal. Blake Bortle's name came out of nowhere, then when OB showed interest in Tom Savage, the idea of the Texans taking a QB with the first overall pick started losing traction.

Remember last year, Luke Joeckel was thought to be the best OT in the entire draft, then all of a sudden someone heard the Kansas City Chiefs preferred Eric Fisher, then one thing led to another.

Only problem with Teddy, is that either teams have already signaled they won't take a QB in the first, or another QB has been tied to those teams. Cleveland is in love with Manziel, or Bortles fits Norv Turner's offense or whatever.

Only so many QBs are going to be taken in the first, & if Bridgewater doesn't have the size OB wants, or the arm, or played against the competition he'd like to see, he probably won't be taken by the Texans at 33 either.

If TB does fall out of the first round, it potentially makes 2.1 a very tradeable pick.

If he falls out of the first and we haven´t selected a QB yet - we`d be more than mad not to take him.

I really don`t get, why so many scouts seem to be down on him. Yeah, he has his limitations, mainly deep ball accuracy and his thin frame. But Bridgewater is clearly the most accurate QB at 0-20 yards, he seems to be best at dissecting a defence, has great vision, rarely does mistakes, has great pocket presence, doesn`t mind the blitz and has played his best when the brightest lights are on.

I am still a firm believer, that he is the best QB in the draft and will be a starter in this league for years to come. I know about his horrible proday - but please show me gametape that shows his shortcomings, because I´ve yet to see it (like I said, outside of his long ball accuracy).

If he falls out of the first and we haven´t selected a QB yet - we`d be more than mad not to take him.

I think so too. If you'd have said 6 weeks ago we could get Clowney/Mack and Bridgewater without making any trades, I think 90% of this board would have bitten your hand off. (the other 10% would have called you a fool for not taking Manziel)

That said, if for some reason the Texans don't like TB at 2.1, that pick become very valuable and tradeable due to the overnight break.

Teddy owns the streets of NY as his calls for the ball from his "center", Spike Lee. Lee did a documentary on Bridgewater and his mother.

Teddy-NYC.png

Bridgewater aces new accuracy stats
Updated: May 7, 2014, 11:25 AM ET
By Sharon Katz | ESPN Stats & Info

Factoring in the accuracy and length of passes, Teddy Bridgewater stands out

Accuracy is a key when it comes to NFL success. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Aaron Rodgers are the top three NFL quarterbacks in completion percentage over the past five seasons. Those three have a combined regular-season record of 157-57 and have made four Super Bowl appearances during that time.

When taking accuracy into consideration, however, not all passes are created equal; a player can have an inflated completion percentage if the majority of his passes are screens and short slants.

Look no further than Geno Smith's AQ-leading 71.2 completion percentage in his final year at West Virginia. That season, Smith threw more screens than any other player in the nation, and his average pass traveled 7 yards past the line of scrimmage, a yard and a half shorter than the FBS average.

When comparing Smith to other quarterback prospects, completion percentage alone is not a good gauge of overall accuracy. A much better indicator is a concept known as standardized completion percentage.
Quarterbacks drafted in 2012 and 2013
(from AQ conferences)
Players Standardized completion percentage NFL QBR
Standardized completion percentage accounts for air yards, drops and throwaways; stats for final college season.

Russell Wilson 81.7% 65.8
Robert Griffin III 79.9% 57.5
Brandon Weeden 75.5% 26.2
Andrew Luck 75.2% 63.8
Nick Foles 73.5% 57.8
Ryan Tannehill 71.5% 47.8
Brock Osweiler 71.5% NA
Sean Renfree 71.4% NA
EJ Manuel 70.9% 42.3
Kirk Cousins 69.2% 39.1
Geno Smith 69.1% 35.9
Mike Glennon 68.8% 45.6
Landry Jones 68.4% NA
Ryan Nassib 67.9% NA
Matt Barkley 67.2% 19.5
Tyler Wilson 66.9% NA
B.J. Daniels 65.1% NA

Standardized completion percentage

Standardized completion percentage is very similar to effective field goal percentage in basketball because it accounts for the distance of a quarterback's passes, just as effective field goal percentage accounts for both 2-pointers and 3-pointers.

So a player like Smith receives credit for his short passes, but the amount of credit that he receives depends on how often a standard quarterback would throw that short.

For example, Smith threw 32 percent of his passes behind the line of scrimmage in his final year of college. A standard NFL quarterback would throw 13 percent of his passes that distance. Smith's standardized completion percentage reduces the importance of his 90.9 completion percentage on passes behind the line by assuming that he was throwing only 13 percent of his passes this distance.

What this does is give credit to players making more difficult throws at a higher completion percentage, not just increasing their overall completion percentage with short throws. Drops and throwaways are removed from the calculation because drops are not the quarterback's fault and throwaways are generally good decisions.

Last season, the top five quarterbacks in standardized completion percentage in the NFL were Rodgers, Manning, Brees, Philip Rivers and Nick Foles. All made the playoffs, and all finished the season ranked in the top six in Total QBR.

Predictive power

Among the 17 quarterbacks drafted from AQ conferences in the past two seasons, Russell Wilson, Andrew Luck, Foles and Robert Griffin III all ranked in the top five in standardized completion percentage in their final college season.

Looking at the bottom five draftees in this category, only Matt Barkley has taken an NFL snap. While Brandon Weeden may stand out as an outlier in the graphic to the right, it is important to note that he was 27 years old in his final college season, far older than the other prospects on this list.

Wilson's standardized completion percentage at Wisconsin was the best of any AQ quarterback in the past three years. Griffin ranked second in his final year at Baylor, followed by Teddy Bridgewater at Louisville in 2013.

The 2014 draft class
Draft prospects, 2013 stats
Player Standardized completion percentage
Teddy Bridgewater 78.3%
Johnny Manziel 76.7%
Zach Mettenberger 75.6%
AJ McCarron 74.2%
Blake Bortles 73.1%

If this statistic is the truest measure of overall accuracy, Bridgewater is among the most accurate quarterbacks who have come out of college in the past three seasons.

Johnny Manziel and Zach Mettenberger also possessed "elite" accuracy in their final college seasons. Both players benefited from above-average accuracy with their deep balls and intermediate throws.

Logan Thomas was the least accurate of the top QB prospects. Even after accounting for the fact Virginia Tech dropped 36 passes, the most of any AQ offense, Thomas had a below-average 63.1 standardized completion percentage (AQ average is 66 percent).

Similarly, Tom Savage and Tajh Boyd struggled with their accuracy and posted standardized completion percentages below 70 percent. Savage threw a higher percentage of his passes off target (overthrown, underthrown or wide) than any other prospect, and Boyd relied heavily on screens, with more than 35 percent of his passes thrown behind the line of scrimmage.

It is important to note that, because quarterback is such a multidisciplinary position, there is no one statistic that will be able to predict NFL success. But this new take on completion percentage, which normally is misleading because of the different offenses run in college, may be a truer measure of accuracy and how a player like Bridgewater will adjust to the NFL.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/st...-stats-show-why-teddy-bridgewater-succeed-nfl

If this statistic is the truest measure of overall accuracy, Bridgewater is among the most accurate quarterbacks who have come out of college in the past three seasons.
Note: The following comment applies equally across all college QB prospects.

This is nothing more than completion percentages. Sure, the stat takes into account "catchable balls", but it still doesn't paint the whole picture. They never factor in lousy passes that the receiver was somehow able to catch anyway.

The real question is if those same passes are still completions in the NFL. You can't always throw lasers, but too much "hang time" and many passes become picks at the next level.

Yeah, well that`s basically the eye test. Completing a pass is about more than just throwing an accurate ball. It is also about finding the open receiver and making the right decision. Those are things not shown on a proday.

Bridgewater definetly needs to work on his mechanics, especially for long balls. And he needs to add zip on a regular basis, not just from time to time like he did in College. But he is not only a very accurate thrower, he has mastered the mental aspect of the game, that is so important (and that is the reasons so many prospects who can make all the throws and have all the tools fail) - and he doesn`t mind pressure.

Please, please, please - let us somehow get him. I don`t care if it is with the first pick, te #33 or with a trade up, but he is the QB I have the most trust in to succeed.

On who's board?

That's the problem. As soon as they found out we had the first pick & that Bill O'Brien was our head coach, I think they realized that Teddy Bridgewater did not fit OB's ideal. Blake Bortle's name came out of nowhere, then when OB showed interest in Tom Savage, the idea of the Texans taking a QB with the first overall pick started losing traction.

Only so many QBs are going to be taken in the first, & if Bridgewater doesn't have the size OB wants, or the arm, or played against the competition he'd like to see, he probably won't be taken by the Texans at 33 either.

Everyone keeps talking about BoB's ideal QB. What is that again? People keep saying this, but I'm not sure the people talking really understand his ideal QB, so let's do a brief run down of BoB's timeline calling the shots:

End of 2008 - BoB promoted to QB coach - I think that it's safe to say this is where he has his first real authority or at least a voice in deciding QB draft picks.

He inherits:

Tom Brady. We know this guy is a pretty big dude, but inheriting someone is not the same as hand picking and you sure as hell aren't getting rid of Tom Brady.

After 2009 NFL Draft he signs UDFA:

Brian Hoyer - 6'2 - 215 lbs. This to me is closer to TB than Bortles

After grabbing Hoyer, they now, before the start of the next season release every other QB on the roster leaving Hoyer as Brady's ONLY backup. Who BoB released?

Previous Year's 2008 3rd Round QB:

Kevin O' Connell - 6'5" - 225 lbs. Wasn't his guy, and it's kind of weird the second he got the power Connell was gone.

In 2010 (The first QB drafted under BoB as QB coach) he drafts:

Zac Robinson - 6'3" - 208 lbs. This to me is closer to TB than Bortles

2011:

Ryan Mallett - 6'6" - 245 lbs. Beast. Not gonna lie. But don't forget this is the same Patriots that forever believe they can take any problem child and turn them into a star, very risky picks and signings are their MO. And getting Mallett in the middle of round 3 is definite value if you're not afraid of taking risks. Don't forget they've basically tried to trade this guy every year too, so it's not like they pictured him as being the heir apparent.

Ex's of 1st/2nd round grades on Mallett:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70757&draftyear=2011&genpos=qb

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1062494.html

FF to 2012 and BoB as HEAD COACH at Penn State, his QB is none other than...

Matt McGloin - 6'1" - 210 lbs. This to me is much loser to TB than Bortles.

So with all of that said, is Ryan Mallett REALLY the only size QB that BoB desires? I think this is a myth. Am I implying he DOESN'T like tall QBs? No, that's also absurd. I'm only trying to make the case that he isn't zoned in one size QB, but this is all obviously, just my opinion.

Yeah, well that`s basically the eye test. Completing a pass is about more than just throwing an accurate ball. It is also about finding the open receiver and making the right decision. Those are things not shown on a proday.

Bridgewater definetly needs to work on his mechanics, especially for long balls. And he needs to add zip on a regular basis, not just from time to time like he did in College. But he is not only a very accurate thrower, he has mastered the mental aspect of the game, that is so important (and that is the reasons so many prospects who can make all the throws and have all the tools fail) - and he doesn`t mind pressure.

Please, please, please - let us somehow get him. I don`t care if it is with the first pick, te #33 or with a trade up, but he is the QB I have the most trust in to succeed.

Very Good points. I think the biggest thing you left out though is how he moves around in the pocket. This, IMO, is the hardest of all things to train. Look at Brees. Look at Peyton. Look at Brady. Look at Rodgers (minus last year). These guys are so damn fluid in the pocket, they make it look easy.

Now look at David Carr or Blaine Gabbert. They had the arm tools, but they couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag in the pocket, and they made it look damn difficult getting brought hard to the ground too.

I'm not trying to be a knock Manziel guy at all here, but I'm going to do it anyway. Look at Manziel in the pocket. He's like a wet cat being cornered, he's just freaking out and zipping and zooming all over the place. In the NFL these dudes are so much faster, I don't know if you're gonna escape all these pass rushes, which brings me to why I love TB...

The guy is fluid and effortless in the pocket. When guys make it look easy, their game generally translates better at the next level versus guys that have to work their ass off for every inch of separation and barely make it happen.

lol @ insurance policy paying for the Caddy. I beat you to that post Playoffs though, just wanted to let you know since it was probably my 1st time doing as much. See the previous page and my hyperlink saying something about 'keeping a promise'. I've ranted enough for one day. Sorry. I'm just a junkie been waiting too long for this day. It's getting about time for me to be gravely disappointed...

FF to 2012 and BoB as HEAD COACH at Penn State, his QB is none other than...

Matt McGloin - 6'1" - 210 lbs. This to me is much loser to TB than Bortles.
Not to shoot a hole in your theory...but let me shoot a hole in your theory.

O'Brien inherited McGloin at QB. He was the best of what the previous regime left him. O'Brien recruited as his next QB, Christian Hackenberg. Hackenberg is 6'4" 220lbs.

Also, I wouldn't give O'Brien the "credit" for the QBs drafted or signed while in New England. Bill Belichick buys the groceries there.

That's cool. I never said or tried to imply he hates tall QBs. You're very likely a bad coach and not long for the game if you do. I'm implying he isn't running away from non-giant QBs. In college it's also not impossible or even difficult to replace a QB in 2 years if you see better elsewhere.

I hardly see how you've shot holes in my 'theories' just saying he's not going to completely avoid guys not 6'5".

I also think your giving defensive guru Bill B a little too much credit on the offensive side of the ball and making QB draft picks.

You never know though, I could be way off base here. Time will tell. If this team leaves the draft with only guys like Savage, Logan Thomas and Garrett Gilbert's that will be a very telling sign to me he gives no F's about anything more than size.

I also think your giving defensive guru Bill B a little too much credit on the offensive side of the ball and making QB draft picks.
I'm not. Offensive coaches come and go through Foxboro. It's still Belichick making it happen in every facet of the game. He's a complete head coach. Maybe the last one left.

I really don't think there's enough data to make assumptions on what O'Brien wants in a QB. But, this is he's on record that he's looking for:

"These are just some things that I believe in. I think when you’re out there and you’re thinking about who the quarterback of your team is, they have to have a few things. Number one, and don’t laugh, they’ve got to be able to throw the ball accurately. If you tell them to put it somewhere, they’ve got to be able to put it there, and they’ve got to be able to work at it to improve their accuracy. In my opinion they don’t have to be the greatest athletes in the world. If they are, that’s fantastic, there’s a really great example of guys that are great athletes that are really good quarterbacks in the National Football League right now – Kaepernick, Russell Wilson, RG3. Those three guys can throw the football. Remember that first, they’re accurate passers. So they have to be able to throw.

They’ve got to be able to make good decisions. They have to be able to be good decision makers. And you can judge a lot of that off the field. You can watch how these guys do things and carry themselves off the field, and they’ll help you when you’re watching them on the field if they’re making good quick decisions or they’re making crappy decisions. Those are things you have to observe but they have to be able to make good decisions.

This next one to me is really, really important. With all the multiplicity of the defenses these days, defenses at every level you’re seeing even, odd, we call it diamond, bear defense. You’re seeing bear. You’re seeing overload blitz. You’re seeing up the middle blitz. You’re seeing man-free, blitz zero. You’re seeing blitz zone, from the field, from the boundary. With all that, in my opinion, your quarterback has to be intelligent. He has to have a great football IQ. And if he doesn’t, if he can’t learn it, then he should play another position. I’m telling you, because nowadays that guy once he’s out on the field has got to be like a coach on the field. He has to understand what you want, how you want to attack the defense, and he’s got to understand football. In order to do it, he’s got to put work in."
I read that, and I'm thinking of a QB in this draft. A QB whose has a thread about him in which I am posting. But, O'Brien could see these same attributes in Manziel, Bortles, or another QB. We'll find out as the draft unfolds.

I think there are two reasons people say Bortles, not Bridgewater:

1. He praised Bortles after his team played against him.
2. I guess there was a quote, that he likes QBs with a prototypical build, since that is something you can`t teach.

Before that talk, the thing that stood out to me most was him saying, that he wants a smart QB that can make his own adjustments at the line. That screamed Bridgewater to me. Either what came after that was a smokescreen, or he believes that is something you can teach (while you can`t teach size).

Oh well, the NFL is full of coaches that believe they can teach the mental aspect to QBs and that fail...

I think there are two reasons people say Bortles, not Bridgewater:

1. He praised Bortles after his team played against him.
2. I guess there was a quote, that he likes QBs with a prototypical build, since that is something you can`t teach.

Before that talk, the thing that stood out to me most was him saying, that he wants a smart QB that can make his own adjustments at the line. That screamed Bridgewater to me. Either what came after that was a smokescreen, or he believes that is something you can teach (while you can`t teach size).

Oh well, the NFL is full of coaches that believe they can teach the mental aspect to QBs and that fail...

And these two tidbits...

Bortles beat BoB's team right in front of him this past season. (got a real-time game look at him)

Bortles' HC is BoB's mentor. (I imagine BoB has had a couple of conversation with his mentor about the kid)

I'm not. Offensive coaches come and go through Foxboro. It's still Belichick making it happen in every facet of the game. He's a complete head coach. Maybe the last one left.

I really don't think there's enough data to make assumptions on what O'Brien wants in a QB. But, this is he's on record that he's looking for:

I read that, and I'm thinking of a QB in this draft. A QB whose has a thread about him in which I am posting. But, O'Brien could see these same attributes in Manziel, Bortles, or another QB. We'll find out as the draft unfolds.

Good points and I hear what you're saying. We will find out shortly.

6 hours 30 minutes...

This whole thread is all for not. Countless arguments and back and forth banter. So much time wasted. None of it mattered at all in the end.

All so we could waste our money and a valuable draft pick on this dumpster fire known as Ryan Mallett.

It looks all but official, but I'm holding onto a prayer it's a lie.

This whole thread is all for not. Countless arguments and back and forth banter. So much time wasted. None of it mattered at all in the end.

All so we could waste our money and a valuable draft pick on this dumpster fire known as Ryan Mallett.

It looks all but official, but I'm holding onto a prayer it's a lie.

Ah chet, this will really suck. I'm ok with Clowney (I have to be) but going with Mallet instead of a trade for Bridgewater, Bortles or Manziel then that will really suck. I would prefer McCarron, Murray or Fales to Mallett.

Ah chet, this will really suck. I'm ok with Clowney (I have to be) but going with Mallet instead of a trade for Bridgewater, Bortles or Manziel then that will really suck. I would prefer McCarron, Murray or Fales to Mallett.

I wouldn`t. Mallett was considered a first rounder at times, maybe even in contention for a top 5 pick. Character concerns were the main reasons for him dropping. BoB has worked with him, so he will have a pretty good idea of his character and his skillset.

I´d rather have one of the big 3 and I´d be alright with trading up to get one of them. But if we can`t get one of them, Mallett would be a great consolidation prize. He could turn into one of the marquee QBs in this league, and BoB had an upclose look of what he can do.

Edit: And let`s not forget learning behind Brady is not a bad thing either. He was raw coming out of college with a laser arm. Now after 3 years behind Brady and with NEs coaching, I am sure he will have corrected some of his mechanical flaws.

And if you get Mallett and McCarron, Murray, or Fales?

Not me. None of those guys starts this year, and it's debatable whether any of the 3 ever develop into a starter much less a quality starter. Possible, but far less than a certainty.

Mallett has more talent than any of the 3 mentioned and he's ready now.

I'd prefer Mallet to the third-tier guys in the draft like McCarron. Mallett could at least be a serviceable QB. Don't see him as a starter, but he is better than that bunch.

I wouldn`t. Mallett was considered a first rounder at times, maybe even in contention for a top 5 pick. Character concerns were the main reasons for him dropping. BoB has worked with him, so he will have a pretty good idea of his character and his skillset.

I´d rather have one of the big 3 and I´d be alright with trading up to get one of them. But if we can`t get one of them, Mallett would be a great consolidation prize. He could turn into one of the marquee QBs in this league, and BoB had an upclose look of what he can do.

Edit: And let`s not forget learning behind Brady is not a bad thing either. He was raw coming out of college with a laser arm. Now after 3 years behind Brady and with NEs coaching, I am sure he will have corrected some of his mechanical flaws.

And if you get Mallett and McCarron, Murray, or Fales?

Not me. None of those guys starts this year, and it's debatable whether any of the 3 ever develop into a starter much less a quality starter. Possible, but far less than a certainty.

Mallett has more talent than any of the 3 mentioned and he's ready now.

All good points on Mallett, which makes me wonder if he is to be that good, why would Bill let him go for a third rounder?. They spent all that time and money grooming him just to let him go and get nothing in return?. I don't know guys I'm all "drafted" out, I just want players that will make this team better and I can see my Texans become an elite championship team.

That's cool. I never said or tried to imply he hates tall QBs. You're very likely a bad coach and not long for the game if you do. I'm implying he isn't running away from non-giant QBs. In college it's also not impossible or even difficult to replace a QB in 2 years if you see better elsewhere.

That's cool.... but size was only one of the things I mentioned. Strength of competition is important to O'Brien, at least he said it was. & that arm... O'Brien wants a strong armed QB.

Please don't take Carr tomorrow.

Welcome Texan Teddy!

:specnatz:

Back