Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

Teddy Bridgewater

Do you think he's going to fall out of the first round?

Or are you upset because they aren't talking about TB as a top 5 pick?

at this point no one knows where he is going and i wouldn't be surprised if he does fall out of the first.

upset? not at all, i don't fall for the pot stirring around here. i want mack or clowney at 1.1. :smiliedance:

@nfldraftscout: The Bridgewater slander pisses me off because guys aren't saying, "Hate his film, no thanks." They're creating issues where there are none

Yep, I just don't get it.

You have people constantly creating issues for Brigewater while at the same time constantly making excuses for guys like Savage.

@nfldraftscout : "He's too skinny"-Gains 14 lbs "Small hands"-Same as Garoppolo "Didn't play anyone"-Same schedule at Bortles "Well, then, bad character"

This is really the stuff that gets me about Bridgewater.

Too skinny? He's bigger than Manziel and Murray and has the same measurements as Carr.

Small hands? 1/8 of an inch smaller than Bortles, 1/8 of an inch bigger than Carr, and the same size as Garoppolo.

Didn't play anyone? Played in the same conference as Bortles and faced similar competition to Carr and better competition than Garoppolo.

To me, it seems like pretty much all of his problems stem from a sub-par pro day where he threw live without gloves for the first time in how long? Maybe the guy needs gloves to throw. Who cares? I've seen the film. If he needs the magic gloves to throw that accurately then let him wear the darn things. I can't remember the last time I saw Brady play without gloves. If it works it works. Much ado about nothing, but that's just my opinion.

Yep, I just don't get it.

You have people constantly creating issues for Brigewater while at the same time constantly making excuses for guys like Savage.

This is really the stuff that gets me about Bridgewater.

Too skinny? He's bigger than Manziel and Murray and has the same measurements as Carr.

Small hands? 1/8 of an inch smaller than Bortles, 1/8 of an inch bigger than Carr, and the same size as Garoppolo.

Didn't play anyone? Played in the same conference as Bortles and faced similar competition to Carr and better competition than Garoppolo.

To me, it seems like pretty much all of his problems stem from a sub-par pro day where he threw live without gloves for the first time in how long? Maybe the guy needs gloves to throw. Who cares? I've seen the film. If he needs the magic gloves to throw that accurately then let him wear the darn things. I can't remember the last time I saw Brady play without gloves. If it works it works. Much ado about nothing, but that's just my opinion.

If I were TB I'd be contacting Nike or Under Harmour to make some H20 QB gloves.

He's obviously not savvy enough to make that kind of PR/endorsement move which is why he will never be the face of a franchise.

Pssh..... they'd put them on Manziel & make a killing.

okay-face.jpg

I remember when a guy named Mel Kiper used to watch his own film, grade out his own players, and evaluate them how HE saw them. He was one of the best in the business. People respected him, I respected him. Then things changed...

He stopped making his own opinions, he quit watching his own tape, he began just listening to NFL teams and their scouts (who would NEVER lie to someone that is going to report their opinions and draft direction to the media). He just basically averaged out their "honest opinions" and made a big board off that.

Ever wonder why his "best available" players on his big board are now there 2-3 rounds later than they "should be"? I guess I'm the only one that notices these things, but whatever.

The point I'm trying to make is this...

(Mayock speaking here) I talked to a lot of teams, and I'm hearing a heck of a lot more second-round grades than first-round grades.

Everything I just said in the beginning of my description of Kiper, replace Kiper with Mayock then look at what Mayock says in this quote. Striking similarity to me...

Since ESPN draft is such a joke to me now and they all just follow guys in the back room picking up phones obsessed with breaking the news before the Commish or other announcing party I will watch NFL Network, and I won't be shocked when Mayock's big board begins to remind me a lot of what has happened to Kipers.

Everything I just said in the beginning of my description of Kiper, replace Kiper with Mayock then look at what Mayock says in this quote. Striking similarity to me...

Since ESPN draft is such a joke to me now and they all just follow guys in the back room picking up phones obsessed with breaking the news before the Commish or other announcing party I will watch NFL Network, and I won't be shocked when Mayock's big board begins to remind me a lot of what has happened to Kipers.

The difference here is Mayock actually attends the Pro Days while Kiper is in a studio doing 20 spots a day on TV or in a production meeting. Mayock stands on the practice field facility only yards away from the QB actually watching Bortles/Bridgewater/Manzie up close and personal. Mayock also knows and talks with everyone standing on that field with him. It doesn't stretch the imagination to think that Mayock has a good repoire with his brethren.

Now, imagine if you will, if Mayock had said, Teddy Bridgewater would be the next Andrew Luck.

Last edited:
Though Bridgewater comes off a bit reserved in interviews, his calm demeanor shouldn't overshadow his ability to lead a program. He was one of the most prominent high school quarterbacks in the country, thanks to a three-year stint as a starter at Miami's famed Northwestern High School. He was selected to the Army All-American Bowl as a senior and was one of the most heavily recruited players in the state of Florida before eventually committing to Charlie Strong and Louisville late in the process.

Bridgewater then burst onto the scene as a freshman and helped lead Louisville's resurgence onto the national scene that was highlighted by a BCS bowl win over SEC power Florida during his sophomore season. Though he fell off the radar some in his final year, he was still one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the country and considered a near lock to be a first-round pick. Recent NFL.com mock drafts do have Bridgewater falling...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...s-ability-to-be-face-of-franchise-in-question

Man I just cannot see this kid getting drafted in the first round...I mean, come on he has skinny knees. No QB has EVER amounted to anything, in the NFL, with skinny knees.

I'm sorry but if I am the GM and have the #1 overall pick, no freaking way to I pick a QB that may have all the tangibles, can make all the throws, has a high football IQ, BUT has skinny knees...

deal breaker...

Man I just cannot see this kid getting drafted in the first round...I mean, come on he has skinny knees. No QB has EVER amounted to anything, in the NFL, with skinny knees.

I'm sorry but if I am the GM and have the #1 overall pick, no freaking way to I pick a QB that may have all the tangibles, can make all the throws, has a high football IQ, BUT has skinny knees...

deal breaker...

And we've got Fitzpatrick. I can see a GM overlooking the knees thing if we really needed a QB, but since we just signed Fitzpatrick & Bridgewater's got skinny knees... c'mon.

And we've got Fitzpatrick. I can see a GM overlooking the knees thing if we really needed a QB, but since we just signed Fitzpatrick & Bridgewater's got skinny knees... c'mon.

exactly! Thank you!

*note* That had to be the dumbest evaluation reason not to draft a player I have ever heard in all my 38 years of existence...Skinny knees?

Man I have heard enough to know I have heard too much...

I heard Mayock and Kiper evaluating his nose hairs, not properly trimmed it could affect the trajectory and velocity of his passes.

John Middlekauff ‏@JohnMiddlekauff 29s

Not trying to pile on Teddy, really don't care either way. I talked w/2 QB coaches today, both gave him 3rd round grades

Teddy Bridgewater and the danger of focusing on pro days, not game tape
Pro days are weird judgment points at best. JaMarcus Russell had an epic pro day in 2007, and he’s the biggest quarterback bust in NFL history. The league re-did its entire rookie salary structure, to a large degree, because Russell provided such ridiculously low value for the enormous contract he was given.

A compelling example on the other side of the curve is this report from SI’s Tim Layden a number of years ago, as he watched one quarterback prospect fling the ball at his pro day:

The heart of the quarterbacks’ workout was a series of 20 throws: two pass attempts on each of 10 patterns. [Quarterback X] was prepared to work at full speed, taking a hard drop and throwing on rhythm, before the receiver broke. However, Seahawks quarterbacks coach Jim Zorn, who ran the session, told the passers, “Just ease up and complete balls. Don’t worry about anything else.”

[Quarterback X] was confused. Some quarterbacks took Zorn’s advice and threw three-quarter-speed spirals to wideouts long after the receivers came out of their breaks. Balls like those would get picked off in a game, but they were safe passes in this arena. [Quarterback X] stuck with his game plan and threw on rhythm. Some wideouts made sharp breaks, others didn’t. Of [Quarterback X's] 20 balls, 11 were solid throws and nine were poor. He one-hopped a simple out-cut and overthrew another. His long throws – the post-corner and the streak – were wobbly, setting off alarms throughout the league.

Quarterback X’s name? Drew Brees. Safe to say, things worked out fairly decently for him...

Not that it matters, but I'd swear I can see a difference today in Teddy's facial structure/jawline or something compared to the Combine... ?

at this point no one knows where he is going and i wouldn't be surprised if he does fall out of the first.

upset? not at all, i don't fall for the pot stirring around here. i want mack or clowney at 1.1. :smiliedance:

Me too. I don't think he's a "reach" like most others. All we've been saying about needing outside pass rushing and there he is. Clowney may be as well as he's certainly presented well through all the hype but I see Mack bringing all day every day when I see Clowney clowning on a bunch of plays. I know there are several schools of thought on this.

Guess we'll all just have to hide-N-watch for a couple of years to see how they both really shake out. Damn shame we can't snag both of them.

The difference here is Mayock actually attends the Pro Days while Kiper is in a studio doing 20 spots a day on TV or in a production meeting. Mayock stands on the practice field facility only yards away from the QB actually watching Bortles/Bridgewater/Manzie up close and personal. Mayock also knows and talks with everyone standing on that field with him. It doesn't stretch the imagination to think that Mayock has a good repoire with his brethren.

Now, imagine if you will, if Mayock had said, Teddy Bridgewater would be the next Andrew Luck.

How the hell are we to "imagine" that scenario when TB was working out BEHIND HIS BACK and he glanced occasionally at the video feed?

Mayock, along with his opinions are saying: "Where are we going? Why are we in this handbasket"?

He's losing major respect (IMO) that he spent decades building. I don't understand it myself.

How the hell are we to "imagine" that scenario when TB was working out BEHIND HIS BACK and he glanced occasionally at the video feed?

Mayock, along with his opinions are saying: "Where are we going? Why are we in this handbasket"?

He's losing major respect (IMO) that he spent decades building. I don't understand it myself.

Most Teddybots don't. If Mayock had said Teddy was the next Andrew Luck you and the rest of the Teddybots would think that Mayock is the GREATEST talent evaluator EEVVVEEEERRRRR!

Most Teddybots don't. If Mayock had said Teddy was the next Andrew Luck you and the rest of the Teddybots would think that Mayock is the GREATEST talent evaluator EEVVVEEEERRRRR!

The only people that have tried to make any comparison to Andrew Luck are the Bortles fan boys.

"He looks like Luck on the field!"

Teddy Bridgewater is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Why do you think that statement is true/false.

Look up...... that's Texian's point up there.

so the "teddy bots" have said teddy is a once in a generation QB prospect like Luck before? haven't seen that, so idk why any talking head on tv would make that comment, let alone fans agreeing with it.

Teddy Bridgewater is the next Aaron Rodgers.

Why do you think that statement is true/false.

in the sense that aaron was considered the top qb prospect that draft year until smith aced his wonderlic and ran faster in shorts, then aaron's mechanics were deemed horrible and lacked a big arm?

in the sense that aaron was considered the top qb prospect that draft year until smith aced his wonderlic and ran faster in shorts, then aaron's mechanics were deemed horrible and lacked a big arm?

Pretty much. Listen to phil sims or watch ted thompson drop a 2nd and 7th rd pick the year rodger was to take over for favre. Sims said the 1st couple of years at camp,there were question marks about rodgers. The next yr he said a ball was thrown with so much velocity,he thought it was favre. He turned around and it was rodgers.

We can post info and have our personal favs. A guy like Texian is just trying to build up bortles for some strange reason. I could go in the bortles thread and post a lot of negative info,I choose not to cause it doesn't change anyones opinion about the player. We will see 3 yrs from now who is the best qb out of this group.

Bridgewater was considered a sure top 5 pick for a couple of reasons:

1. His football IQ - elite
2. His vision - elite
3. His pocket presence - very good
4. His motivation to get better - very good
5. His accuracy of short to medium throws - seemingly elite if you look at his completion percentage and TD/INT ratio

All that time there were question marks around his frame and his arm strenght which led to inaccurate long balls and not enough zip on medium throws.

Now after his proball most of the reasons why he was considered a top 5 pick are unchanged - with the exception of reason number 5. Several balls came out wobbly at his pro day, and the worries about his arm strength and not putting up enough zip on the ball were even worse than some thought before.

So why is that? Was it the infamous gloves? Maybe, but if so only a very small part. Was it because it wasn`t a real game situation? Was it because his breakfast egg wasn`t cooked right? Or is it something that can`t be correctet? We don`t really know that.

But what we do know is: coaching, strength programs and small corrections can be done and Bridgewater is a guy that is eager to learn. And he is a guy that knows his own shortcomings and rarely attempts throws, that he can`t complete. So the real question between considering him a franchise guy or a bust/backup is: do you believe his arm strength/long ball accuracy problems can be fixed, or are not as severe as his proday seemed to show? Because there surely are no questions about the other areas that were the reasons he was considered a top 5 pick.

And remember, there are questions like this around every QB in this years draft.

Bridgewater was considered a sure top 5 pick for a couple of reasons:

None of this makes sense if you believe he was truly considered a top 5 pick by NFL teams. We all assume he was because the media told us he was, but as soon as the NFL season was over, the media started changing their story.

I never believed he was a top 5 pick. A top five pick is as close to a can't miss prospect as you can get... never mind that several turn out to be busts, especially at the QB position.

So the question is & has always been is there a QB in this draft that a GM wants to bet his job on. I don't think there is.

That doesn't mean Teddy isn't the best QB in this draft or that he won't have a good long NFL career. But you can find guys like that in the second round or later (Matt Schaub, Matt Hasselbeck, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Jake Delhomme).

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What I meant by that: he was a top 5 pick in 90% of the mock drafts and he was in the top 5 of 75% of big boards before the combine.

What I meant by that: he was a top 5 pick in 90% of the mock drafts and he was in the top 5 of 75% of big boards before the combine.

Mock drafts sure. 75% of the media guys big boards... sure. But those don't matter. They aren't real. That's just a bunch of people who wish they ran teams.

My point is that the coaches didn't start looking at players till January. I don't think any of them thought Bridgewater was a franchise QB. Good, but not good enough to pass on elite talent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

My views on Mayock had / have nothing to do with the name associated. I'm no Teddybot and I think Mayock has (understandably) turned into a "just another TV talking head".

The only people that have tried to make any comparison to Andrew Luck are the Bortles fan boys.

"He looks like Luck on the field!"
Hate to burst your bubble there, but I'm no Bortles fanboi and I think he looks almost exactly like Luck when he tucks it and runs. Throwing is a different beast altogether.

Jon Gruden on Teddy

1. This is a special kid with special qualities.
Mental toughness is what I'm talking about.

People have doubted his arm, doubted whether he can survive throwing without gloves, doubted the level of competition he faced. But he is a very mentally tough kid. That is a special quality I admire in him. He has a strong desire to be great.​

2. Bridgewater is not an electrifying athlete
Bridgewater is a pocket passer, a West Coast passer. That is why I was so excited to see him. I'm tired of looking at bubble screens and no-huddle up-tempo Conference USA passes. I like to see people who have progressions and clocks in their heads, guys who can manage a lot of different situations.​

3. He handled 72 Dusty just fine
But when you can look at old 72 Dusty, a play that has been around forever, you see 27 times when Bridgewater ran it, 27 times when Manziel ran it, 25 times when Bortles ran it. I can see how disciplined they are in their progression; I can see the results, I can see the accuracy, the rhythm, the overall sophistication. Bridgewater was impressive, thorough. Against certain coverages, I read it the way he read it.​

4. Bridgewater has to improve his passing ability
As much as I enjoyed meeting with Bridgewater and speaking the same West Coast language, he did spray the ball a little bit during our workout on the field. This was routes against air, and this has got to be much better. I think he can do that. This was a new ball, new drills, new receivers. He has to be more compact throwing the ball. Shoulder up, shoulder sideways, shoulder down. He has to relax and rely on his fundamentals and his training and I think he'll be OK.​

Sure looked like Chucky was going to climax all over himself when Teddy was at the chalkboard.

He didn't make Teddy write anything down, what to make of that? He made the other prospects write stuff down to work on.

So, after going back and looking tape of the big 4 (I guess Carr is one of them now) - I really don`t understand how Bridgewaters stock is dropping.

He is by far the most accurate of the class for throws 0-20 yards - and his arm strength isn`t an issue here either, when he needs to, he adss real zip to the ball and throws to a tight window. He also does the fewest mental mistakes. All of the other QBs have a regular wtf throw in between. Teddy didn`t (at least not on the tape I watched). He also is the best at avoiding pressure while still looking downfield. Manziel might be better overall at avoiding pressure, but he either takes off himself or he throws one up for grabs to Evans (seriously, how good is Evans? Could be a 15-20TDs guy in the NFL).

Sure, there are questionmarks around him. When you select a QB #1 you want him to be able to do all the throws. Teddy can`t. His deep ball seriously lacks accuracy. The good thing is: he doesn`t throw deep balls up for grab, he consistently throws it to a space, where the defende doesn`t have a change to make a play. But he regularly overthrows his receiver. I think that is coachable. And his throwing motion isn`t always perfect, it seems like he sidearms some of his throws. Again, this is coachable.

I think all his shortcomings are coachable (besides his frame and size). And I think he excells at everything else. He is the most accurate thrower, that can handle pressure, rarely does mistakes and plays his best, when the big lights are on. I would bet, that he turns into a top 15 QB in the league. I´d be ecsatic if he falls to us in the 2nd round, but right now I am convinced, that some team in the top 10 will take him. He is just too good.

Back