Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

He will re-sign here.

Agreed, but do you actually expect Devlin to identify a franchise LT, draft him, coach him up? I dont, so this was their way of solving the issue. They certainly have the cap space to pay Tunsil.

Again let's stop acting like we know that for sure. We don't know if he will resign here.

So you equate giving up 2 1sts + for Tunsil, Stills + to giving up 5 players, 3 1's, 3 2's + or giving up an entire draft for one pick? Like I said, laughable
FYI discounted to present value the 2021 1st & 2nd round picks are equivalent to a 2nd & 3rd round pick.

Again let's stop acting like we know that for sure. We don't know if he will resign here.

You know that’s a strawman argument that could be used for any player on any team. No one knows if Mahomes will resign with the Chiefs, no one knows if Brady will resign with the Pats no one knows anything about any player till pen is put to paper.

You can keep pounding this “we don’t know if he will resign” point all you want but it doesn’t hold any weight because if teams operated under that idea then pretty much no trades would be made for any players.

You know that’s a strawman argument that could be used for any player on any team. No one knows if Mahomes will resign with the Chiefs, no one knows if Brady will resign with the Pats no one knows anything about any player till pen is put to paper.

You can keep pounding this “we don’t know if he will resign” point all you want but it doesn’t hold any weight because if teams operated under that idea then pretty much no trades would be made for any players.

Well ******* said!

Also the problem with trading picks for players is that you aren't getting the 5 years of cheap rookie contract. Pretty soon they are getting big contracts

Also the problem with trading picks for players is that you aren't getting the 5 years of cheap rookie contract. Pretty soon they are getting big contracts

Which is fine if you draft a stud. Most guys drafted aren't. Most are learning on the job. First two or three years you're getting what you paid for. The final two years you're getting value.

Which is fine if you draft a stud. Most guys drafted aren't. Most are learning on the job. First two or three years you're getting what you paid for. The final two years you're getting value.

What they are doing now is just signing an expensive free agent. That's not the same as hitting on a draft pick

What the F ever dude. And yall can stop pounding that he will resign too.

Look, I understand your point. I dont think anyone here is oblivious to it. I also think we need to move to make this team better. I dont want us sticking our head in the sand and dodging talent because x number of years from now they might want money.

Honestly, I'm pissed we didn't do more with the cap space we have.

PFF recently stated that Tunsil after his first game in other words Games 2 through 4 is pass-blocking at 86% rank. That is terrific! Hopefully he will improve his run-blocking.

Also ESPN using their pass block win rate which as I understand is block sustained for a minimum of 2.5 seconds, has Titus Howard pass blocking 96% for second best overall NFL offensive tackle. Also Sharpie at 96% for 4th best overall NFL guard.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/02/espn-stat-texans-top-10-ol/

What the F ever dude. And yall can stop pounding that he will resign too.

Dude you and Kdog are the ones that every damn time Tunsil is mentioned it’s “but we didn’t sign him to a new deal” no we didn’t but you know what we have him for two years which, as TK pointed out, is around the time most rookies start to actually make an impact.

We get it, you guys don’t like that O’Brien traded picks because you are hoping he’s fired after this season. Hate to tell you this but unless it’s a complete disaster of a season odds are he won’t be going any where. He’s survived everything up to this point what makes you think he won’t survive this?

PFF recently stated that Tunsil after his first game in other words Games 2 through 4 is pass-blocking at 86% rank. That is terrific! Hopefully he will improve his run-blocking.

Also ESPN using their pass block win rate which as I understand is block sustained for a minimum of 2.5 seconds, has Titus Howard pass blocking 96% for second best overall NFL offensive tackle. Also Sharpie at 96% for 4th best overall NFL guard.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/02/espn-stat-texans-top-10-ol/
Why are they classifying Howard as an OT in the stat?

Dude you and Kdog are the ones that every damn time Tunsil is mentioned it’s “but we didn’t sign him to a new deal” no we didn’t but you know what we have him for two years which, as TK pointed out, is around the time most rookies start to actually make an impact.

We get it, you guys don’t like that O’Brien traded picks because you are hoping he’s fired after this season. Hate to tell you this but unless it’s a complete disaster of a season odds are he won’t be going any where. He’s survived everything up to this point what makes you think he won’t survive this?
Especially, since from what I've heard, there is good reason to believe that Caserio will still be coming to Houston to take a great deal of the load.

Especially, since from what I've heard, there is good reason to believe that Caserio will still be coming to Houston to take a great deal of the load.

So glad you came back Doc. I’ve been in & out myself, it’s hard on this fan base what they’ve endured to be rational or sane. If this is true, then a major issue is resolved. It’s going to take a true wizard to put Humpty Dumpty back together again :stirpot:

It's a bad trade regardless of the coach

It's already a disaster. Mortgaging the future to be 2-2 and a terrible offense is fireable

I really don't know why we would trust obrien to hand pick another GM, especially when we don't know what Casio does exactly
Why do you think that the Patriots had to fall back on that screwy contract that forbid him to jump ship until next season?..............they never tried to defend the fact that he shared GM duties with Belichick...............because that was his essentially his job description there...........that of a GM............making it a lateral move where interview and signing with another team could not be blocked

Why do you think that the Patriots had to fall back on that screwy contract that forbid him to jump ship until next season?..............they never tried to defend the fact that he shared GM duties with Belichick...............because that was his essentially his job description there...........that of a GM............making it a lateral move where interview and signing with another team could not be blocked

They are holding him to his contract but at the same time haven't bothered to extend him

It's not clear he shares GM future.

Report: Pats’ Caserio, viewed around league as ‘organizer’ not ‘decision maker’ meets again with Miami

The Boston Globe called it a surprise that Caserio even agreed to interview with the Dolphins, saying he turned down other GM opportunities in the past, including the Colts in 2012.

From the Globe:

It is believed (Caserio) is the salary cap guy since Floyd Reese left the team, and he is frequently on the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium, keeping an eye on the roster as he keeps up with scouting the pro ranks and college players.

Belichick frequently credits Caserio and his staff — the director of college scouting is Jon Robinson and the director of pro scouting is Bob Quinn — for finding players who contribute to the Patriots’ success, but many observers assume that Belichick is the one who pulls the strings, and it’s unclear how much influence Caserio has over those decisions.

A league source said Friday night that little is known about Caserio, around the league and that he’s seen more as an organizer than decision-maker.

ESPN’s Louis Riddick told the Palm Beach Post on Friday that Caserio is someone who knows his X’s and O’s and is a knowledgeable of various facets of the organization having jumped back and forth from coaching to personnel.

But Riddick said the Dolphins shouldn’t assume Caserio would excel just because he comes from New England.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...er-not-decision-maker-meets-again-with-miami/

They are holding him to his contract but at the same time haven't bothered to extend him

It's not clear he shares GM future.

Report: Pats’ Caserio, viewed around league as ‘organizer’ not ‘decision maker’ meets again with Miami

The Boston Globe called it a surprise that Caserio even agreed to interview with the Dolphins, saying he turned down other GM opportunities in the past, including the Colts in 2012.

From the Globe:

It is believed (Caserio) is the salary cap guy since Floyd Reese left the team, and he is frequently on the practice fields behind Gillette Stadium, keeping an eye on the roster as he keeps up with scouting the pro ranks and college players.

Belichick frequently credits Caserio and his staff — the director of college scouting is Jon Robinson and the director of pro scouting is Bob Quinn — for finding players who contribute to the Patriots’ success, but many observers assume that Belichick is the one who pulls the strings, and it’s unclear how much influence Caserio has over those decisions.

A league source said Friday night that little is known about Caserio, around the league and that he’s seen more as an organizer than decision-maker.

ESPN’s Louis Riddick told the Palm Beach Post on Friday that Caserio is someone who knows his X’s and O’s and is a knowledgeable of various facets of the organization having jumped back and forth from coaching to personnel.

But Riddick said the Dolphins shouldn’t assume Caserio would excel just because he comes from New England.

http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...er-not-decision-maker-meets-again-with-miami/

It's good to see you cherry pick such up to date material Jan 2014!...........:toropalm:

That said, this is the Texans we're talking about. The ones with the new innovative "flatter" run organization. Whatever the F that means.

Peioli is sitting out there. He's a known commodity as a gm and decision maker. As much as he didn't agree with him, Big Ben had his best years under Todd Haley. He forced Ben to get rid off the ball and take less hits. I think BOB is afraid of strong personalities.

What they are doing now is just signing an expensive free agent. That's not the same as hitting on a draft pick

He's on his rookie deal.

These are the final two years of the contract where we should expect real value/cost benefit.

It's a bad trade regardless of the coach

It's already a disaster. Mortgaging the future to be 2-2 and a terrible offense is fireable

Oh please, we could trade for Brady as a backup, get Zeke from Dallas and Odell from Browns, get the entire Oline from the Eagles and the entire defense from the bears and all it cost us is a pair of rodeo tickets for each team’s owner and you would still say it was a bad trade if OBrien made it.

I’m not happy with him as HC either but man I really want to know what BoB did to you to equal this level of hate. You’re starting to put Steel and his RS hate to shame, at least he gave Smith credit for Watson.

Lets rephrase it then:

We don't know if we want to resign him to another contract.

So far he's been average at best - are you going to be happy paying an average OT huge money - $16m+ per year or about 6% of your total cap space?

He may ask for more than they are willing to pony up ...

Oh please, we could trade for Brady as a backup, get Zeke from Dallas and Odell from Browns, get the entire Oline from the Eagles and the entire defense from the bears and all it cost us is a pair of rodeo tickets for each team’s owner and you would still say it was a bad trade if OBrien made it.

I’m not happy with him as HC either but man I really want to know what BoB did to you to equal this level of hate. You’re starting to put Steel and his RS hate to shame, at least he gave Smith credit for Watson.

I dont hate RS,

12 yrs just proved he wasn't very good at his job.

So far he's been average at best - are you going to be happy paying an average OT huge money - $16m+ per year or about 6% of your total cap space?

Reports so far are that Tunsil is better then average.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/03/pro-football-focus-becoming-fan-of-texans-laremy-tunsil/

Per PFF, Tunsil has allowed two sacks in 2019; both came against the New Orleans Saints in Week 1.
Following a rocky Week 1, Tunsil's 86.0 pass block grade over the past three weeks is 3rd among offensive tackles.

You don't think that depends upon the quality of play you get from those two guys ?

Up to now , Tunsil has been average at best and despite how well Stills has played , he's not worth more than a 3rd / 4th.

You don't give up 2 #1's for "average at best".

If he starts playing up to the price paid …. that's a different story but so far that's not the case.

I do expect Tunsil to improve but at this point , its far too early to say the trade is a success.

This trade is comparable in pick compensation to the Redskins acquiring the rights to RG3 , the Aints trading for Ricky Williams and the Herschel Walker trade. Three of the most costly trades in the history of the league.
And in reality all those trades ended up as failures for the teams sending out the draft assets.
Dallas took Minny's picks in the Hershel Walker trade and drafted Emmet Smith , Darren Woodson and Russel Maryland … and won a buncha superbowls while Minny did nothing of note.

New Orleans went 3-13 and Ditka got fired …. bagheads for years.

The Redskins ended up giving the Rams picks #'s 2, 6 , 22 and 39 … over three drafts. The draft slots explain the results.

Here the Texans are floundering along at 2-2 having scored 23 points over the last two home games against teams starting a backup QB ….

As long as OB keeps playing the "shell game" with his OL.....when does anyone expect them to gain any type of continuity?

Just once I'd like to see him have the guts to admit his mistake and sit Martin in favor of Fulton. Then and only then will I have any type of confidence that this team is trying to move in the right direction. The OL should look like this:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
OC- Fulton
RG- Scharping
RT- Johnson

Lets rephrase it then:

We don't know if we want to resign him to another contract.

He very well may and as far as paying an average, which Tunsil hasn’t been but we’ll table that, you can thank the Raiders for that one. Brown was a complete middle of the pack LT and they broke records paying him. Now any LT that is even remotely a stud is going to be adding extra zeros to their check. The current going rate for tackles can be blamed solely on the Raiders and their desperation to make a splash before moving to Vegas.

Except in the first round. Wait, that’s it, we bring Smith back to draft the first round, Gaine to draft later rounds and then let BoB do the F/A trades.

Scary part is I could almost see the Texans doing that.

You might be on to something. This sounds like the nebulous alignment that they have been seeking. Send this idea to Easterby.

As long as OB keeps playing the "shell game" with his OL.....when does anyone expect them to gain any type of continuity?

Just once I'd like to see him have the guts to admit his mistake and sit Martin in favor of Fulton. Then and only then will I have any type of confidence that this team is trying to move in the right direction. The OL should look like this:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
OC- Fulton
RG- Scharping
RT- Johnson
"I've said the same on multiple occasions.

Johnson earned that spot ....

I believe that Johnson will be kept as the only legitimate swing tackle.

Have anything newer or better? Everything I can find is labeling his duties as "assistant".

To be fair it’s hard to find what anyone’s job in NE is beyond the obvious like OC and DC. Anyone in the front office their job description is basically “Whatever Belichick needs you to do”. I don’t know if he would be a good GM but looking at the evidence he is as good a prospect as any other non-former GM.

Miami was all set to hire him and the only reason he didn’t go there is they wouldn’t let him fire the HC. He has been with the Pats a long time and frankly you don’t stay with NE that long if you aren’t at least competent at your job. Finally NE has traditionally been of the mind set “if they want to leave let them leave” but they went out of their way to keep him. It wasn’t like they got anything from us for it nor was it a case of hurting a rival team because, let’s face it, we don’t really even pop up on their radar.

So there was something about him that NE wanted to keep as long as they could.

Two firsts & a 2nd for Tunsil is too much.

Two firsts & a 2nd for Tunsil, Stills & a 4th is a good deal.

Not really. Tunsil is an unproven and while showing capable, has been less than ideal and still at the mercy of higher ups - giving him a single first round pick. 2nd first round pick is gone until proven otherwise. Stills is our safety receiver and will finish around 35-40 catches even if someone drops - not worth a second round potential - pick wasted on a known (but we got a 4th). Howard was the second tackle taken in the draft and is too busy playing musical chairs to prevent us from needing to throw so many picks at a left tackle. Another first gone. I would add Scharping to the list, but we're still waiting on O'Brien to figure out what position he and Sua'Filo will play, or why Martin got paid.

By my count between April and Game 1, we've dropped two firsts and a second.

Last edited:
To be fair it’s hard to find what anyone’s job in NE is beyond the obvious like OC and DC. Anyone in the front office their job description is basically “Whatever Belichick needs you to do”. I don’t know if he would be a good GM but looking at the evidence he is as good a prospect as any other non-former GM.

Miami was all set to hire him and the only reason he didn’t go there is they wouldn’t let him fire the HC. He has been with the Pats a long time and frankly you don’t stay with NE that long if you aren’t at least competent at your job. Finally NE has traditionally been of the mind set “if they want to leave let them leave” but they went out of their way to keep him. It wasn’t like they got anything from us for it nor was it a case of hurting a rival team because, let’s face it, we don’t really even pop up on their radar.

So there was something about him that NE wanted to keep as long as they could.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. That's the qualification for hiring everyone out of New England. "To be fair, we don't really know what he does because Belichick does everything ... but 'Random Coach/GM' title sure looked good!". They're winning, so obviously that means we'll win too! Except ... no.

And don't use Miami as an example.

Posters on here stating as fact that they know BB does everything. Nobody knows what BB does. O think he oversees everything in the Pats oorg and Caserio is his legs on the ground. But nobody really knows anything.

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
OC- Fulton
RG- Scharping
RT- Johnson

Except Fulton can't stay healthy...

Except in the first round. Wait, that’s it, we bring Smith back to draft the first round, Gaine to draft later rounds and then let BoB do the F/A trades.

Scary part is I could almost see the Texans doing that.

Coaches have a much bigger voice for the first round... First round since 2014 hasn't been all that

Back