Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

You got a premium player and 2 years of WFV insurance. Tell me who the Dolphins draft late in the 1st and 2nd in 2021, plus tell me if Stills is a major player come playoff time for the next 2 years and I will tell you who won this trade.

But it's not as one-sided as some here make it out to be

I think there's 4 or 5 positions that carry more value than a 1st round pick . Why ... cause you have to burn several 1st round picks to find them . Sometimes you get lucky and get a lower round guy to fill it but the odds are against it . So how about this for starters .

Top 10 starting QB is worth three 1st round picks .
Stud LT = two 1st .
Shut down corner = two 1st
Elite level pass rusher = two 1st

Just my two cents .

Kinda bizarre that our 1st round pick likely won't ever play the position he was drafted for unless an injury happens or Tunsil doesn't re-sign. Can't imagine that happens very often.

The bizarreness is off the charts. Obrien doesn't seem to think it matters, like he can just make it up with his coaching

Kinda bizarre that our 1st round pick likely won't ever play the position he was drafted for unless an injury happens or Tunsil doesn't re-sign. Can't imagine that happens very often.

This is a misconception on this board. Texans never actually said they were drafting him for LT. We all assumed that and it was most likely true, but the only two comments they made were they didn’t know what position he would play, something these boards raked them over the coals for, and that they need bodyguards for Watson which pretty much is everyone on the line.

I’ve said it before but 1.23 for a long term answer at LG is a hell of a good draft.

You ever see a report that was an option? I've been asking, no ones produced one yet.
You won't see one because there was never one to begin with. Just a certain group of posters demanding their opinions be taken as fact. The Texans didn't trade up to get him because they must have not thought that highly of him. They traded up for Watson, as they must have held him in high regard.

McClain reported it.

The eagles traded to 22 for less. So makes sense

So you're saying the Texans should have known the Eagles would jump them & take Dillard? The Ravens shopped the deal to the Texans? Or the Texans shouldn't have risked "their guy" being taken?

If you don't mind posting the relevant part, I'm not a subscriber & can't read the article.

I’m predicting Howard ends up being our starting RT next season. That was his position his last year in school due to the fact his QBs was left handed. He has the feet to be a really good T.

If he stays at G, it’s not a big deal and happens more than you’d think. Read the draft reports from collegiate OTs. Every year I’d wager 30% +/- of the scouting reports of Ts mention the player kicking inside to G. That was the big deal with Jonah Williams who I believe was taken with the 8th pick of the first rd. Most reports thought he should kick inside to G. BTW, Wade Smith is a big proponent of young Ts starting at G their first year. Heck, that’s what they did with Tunsil and it worked out really well for him

I'd be good ok with Howard at RT but I think his reps this season will come at LG. If Howard produces a solid season from the LG spot, might be hard to move him off that spot.

Wild Card could be Kelemete.....he finally has a legit LT helping him on the left side. My bigger concern lies with Martin at Center. Both guards could find themselves having to help cover for his lame arse.

In all seriousness, I'd be much happier if the following OL was rolled out on Monday Night:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Kelemete
OC- Fulton
RG- Scharping
RT- Henderson

I think both Kelemete and Scharping benefit big time by having a Center who cover his responsibilities on the OL.

Giving up TWO firsts and a 2nd pick for Tunsil shows that they screwed the pooch on Titus Howard. If they had any faith that he could be a competent LT at any point they wouldn't have given up those picks.

This screams of desperation to me.

Then add in the fact that they didn't negotiate an extension as part of the deal …. and they could be left with NOTHING at seasons end. That was incredibly short sighted considering the assets invested.

Horribly mismanaged deal. This just goes to showcase the ineptitude of the front office exposing themselves to such un-necessary risk.

Last edited:
Based on the Texans website the starting OL is

Tunsil Kelemente Martin Fulton Henderson

OB really does have a lot of dislike for rookies. Lol. No wonder he traded all the picks away.

Why Martin is starting is beyond comprehension. I guess we’ll get more of running the rb into Nick Martin’s ass which is pretty much in the back field with him as soon as the snap comes.

Although O’Brien is a certified A-hole, when he loves, he loves hard. (As seen with Blue, Hoyer, Savage, and now Martin)

So you're saying the Texans should have known the Eagles would jump them & take Dillard? The Ravens shopped the deal to the Texans? Or the Texans shouldn't have risked "their guy" being taken?

If you don't mind posting the relevant part, I'm not a subscriber & can't read the article.

McClain just stated that there were reports in the national media earlier in the week
that the Texans were trying to trade up to get Dillard and were also shopping Clowney but neither proved to be true

McClain just stated that there were reports in the national media earlier in the week
that the Texans were trying to trade up to get Dillard and were also shopping Clowney but neither proved to be true

He also said they weren't interested in trading up, because they had a third they could have used to trade up

Gaine passes up trade

There were reports in the national media this week the Texans were trying to trade up from their 23rd spot in the first round to get Washington State left tackle Andre Dillard and that they were shopping outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. Neither proved to be true.

When it was Baltimore's turn to make the 22nd pick one spot ahead of the Texans, the Ravens traded their draft choice to Philadelphia. The Eagles took Dillard.

It should have been obvious to everyone Gaine wasn't interested in dealing up to get Dillard, or he would have done it. The Eagles traded fourth- and sixth-round choices to get Dillard. Gaine didn't have a fourth-round selection, and he didn't want to part with his third-round pick. He was happy to let the Eagles get Dillard before he took Tytus Howard, who should play tackle with the Texans.

Why Martin is starting is beyond comprehension. I guess we’ll get more of running the rb into Nick Martin’s ass which is pretty much in the back field with him as soon as the snap comes.

Although O’Brien is a certified A-hole, when he loves, he loves hard. (As seen with Blue, Hoyer, Savage, and now Martin)

Don’t forget Devlin, that’s a love story to put Shakespeare to shame.

He also said they weren't interested in trading up, because they had a third they could have used to trade up

But he never said that they were given that opportunity. We still don't know that they were

Do we know that the Ravens called them? No

It's their job to be aware of the possibility of being jumped. It's their job to not have that happen if Dillard was their guy.

Why wouldn't the Ravens call and ask for a better package than the eagles offered? And even if not why didn't the Texans call the Ravens?

It's their job to be aware of the possibility of being jumped. It's their job to not have that happen if Dillard was their guy.

Why wouldn't the Ravens call and ask for a better package than the eagles offered? And even if not why didn't the Texans call the Ravens?

Nobody, anywhere thought for a moment that Philly was going to take a LT in the first round and trade up to do it. They have a HoF LT and they had other needs. Also no one has said Dillard was their guy, in fact those reports you swear by said that they really weren’t interested and they had been looking at a Howard for weeks as their guy.

As far as Baltimore not calling how do you know Philly didn’t tell them “This is a one time offer and you have to answer now. If you contact Houston to try and get a better deal then the offer is off the table and no one knows if Houston even cares about Dillard. So what’s it going to be, take our offer and get the guaranteed extra pick or roll the dice that Houston will make a trade but if they don’t then you get nothing.”

As far as Texans calling the Ravens if you’d take off your “I hate everything the Texans do” glasses you’d see that was already answered. They didn’t seem to want Dillard and Philly shouldn’t have wanted Dillard. Ultimately I'm wasting my breath, if the Texans had called first and traded up you would be here saying they they made a useless trade because no one else would have taken Dillard.

Gaine passes up trade

There were reports in the national media this week the Texans were trying to trade up from their 23rd spot in the first round to get Washington State left tackle Andre Dillard and that they were shopping outside linebacker Jadeveon Clowney. Neither proved to be true.

When it was Baltimore's turn to make the 22nd pick one spot ahead of the Texans, the Ravens traded their draft choice to Philadelphia. The Eagles took Dillard.

It should have been obvious to everyone Gaine wasn't interested in dealing up to get Dillard, or he would have done it. The Eagles traded fourth- and sixth-round choices to get Dillard. Gaine didn't have a fourth-round selection, and he didn't want to part with his third-round pick. He was happy to let the Eagles get Dillard before he took Tytus Howard, who should play tackle with the Texans.

Yeah, I thought that was the one y'all were talking about. It doesn't say what y'all think it says. But whatever. Believe what you will. I know who y'all are if you're arguing this says the Ravens offered the selection to the Texans for their 1st & third.

Nobody, anywhere thought for a moment that Philly was going to take a LT in the first round and trade up to do it. They have a HoF LT and they had other needs. Also no one has said Dillard was their guy, in fact those reports you swear by said that they really weren’t interested and they had been looking at a Howard for weeks as their guy.

As far as Baltimore not calling how do you know Philly didn’t tell them “This is a one time offer and you have to answer now. If you contact Houston to try and get a better deal then the offer is off the table and no one knows if Houston even cares about Dillard. So what’s it going to be, take our offer and get the guaranteed extra pick or roll the dice that Houston will make a trade but if they don’t then you get nothing.”

As far as Texans calling the Ravens if you’d take off your “I hate everything the Texans do” glasses you’d see that was already answered. They didn’t seem to want Dillard and Philly shouldn’t have wanted Dillard. Ultimately I'm wasting my breath, if the Texans had called first and traded up you would be here saying they they made a useless trade because no one else would have taken Dillard.

It's their job to know these things and get their guy, trading up for a reasonable amount of necessary.

The whole NFL knew they would have taken Dillard so they should have been ready

Not what I'm saying. I just want to understand what you were expecting. I know I was thinking, "OMG, he's going to make it to 23." I don't remember anyone in the draft thread saying, "they better call the Ravens & trade up." Until after the fact.

We're not professional general.managers

Yeah, I thought that was the one y'all were talking about. It doesn't say what y'all think it says. But whatever. Believe what you will. I know who y'all are if you're arguing this says the Ravens offered the selection to the Texans for their 1st & third.

It's not clear if Gaine talked to.the Ravens it's clear he could have

They fired Brian Gaine. They traded Clowney regardless the cost. They traded for Tunsil, regardless the cost. This is the best 53 man roster we've started the season with since I can remember (DeShaun Watson) & we're bitching about next year.

I agree they fck'd up the next two drafts. Nothing we can do about it now. They did not fck up the 53 going into the regular season & I'm excited about that.

They fired Brian Gaine. They traded Clowney regardless the cost. They traded for Tunsil, regardless the cost. This is the best 53 man roster we've started the season with since I can remember (DeShaun Watson) & we're bitching about next year.

I agree they fck'd up the next two drafts. Nothing we can do about it now. They did not fck up the 53 going into the regular season & I'm excited about that.

They really only F'ed up the 2021 draft. They can get a 1st rd pick in 2020 if there's a guy they like.

The defense might be in worse shape since Crennel got here except the injury riddled year

We're more athletic at CB than ever. We're deeper at safety than ever. Ejiofor's injury has been remedied with Martin.

I'm thinking this is the most athletic defense RAC ever had.

Not sure about cb. Roby has promise but he struggled last year. Jjo is old. No one has taken over the slot corner role.

Safety is deeper but I doubt they'll outplay Matthieu

Gaine passes up trade

It should have been obvious to everyone Gaine wasn't interested in dealing up to get Dillard, or he would have done it. The Eagles traded fourth- and sixth-round choices to get Dillard. Gaine didn't have a fourth-round selection, and he didn't want to part with his third-round pick. He was happy to let the Eagles get Dillard before he took Tytus Howard, who should play tackle with the Texans

I'll, swear, (as a matter of fact, I think I did), that this statement was revised from McClain's first post, in which he said that the Texans turned down an opportunity to give a 5th round to Baltimore to trade up that one spot .... but the next morning, it was replaced by above. I do know that afterwards, I read that the Eagles fans were shocked by the move, because they were honed in on a defensive stud rusher. Anyway, I do know that I would've hurt myself - getting to the phone with a 3rd and/or a 5th in hand !

Not sure about cb. Roby has promise but he struggled last year. Jjo is old. No one has taken over the slot corner role.

Mathieu was only okay in coverage and was a liability against TEs. We will miss his leadership, but 14m is WAY too steep for a Safety who isn't elite in coverage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think coaching matters. Roby is as athletic as Kevin Johnson. If he can stay healthy, that spot is better.

Body-Calhoun is not an upgrade over Kareem, especially his versatility. But we're so deep at safety Body-Calhoun shouldn't be asked to play safety. As a corner, a slot corner, it's a wash.

Gipson played as well as Mathieu did last year. He just wasn't telling everybody about every play.

RAC has more to work with this season. I th8nk we get back to the shifting fronts & disguised coverages we had when we had a healthy Cushing & 3 good CBs. No more bend but don't break wysiwyg defense.

Back