Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Mostly agree. My point is that the org has made a very significant investment in the OL for the first time. If it doesn't work, it's on coaching.

Gibbs could make mid and low round picks work, partly because he wasnt looking for prototypical OL and partly because he was a genius coach. If we ever get a good OL coach, I expect this OL to be beastly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Oh I agree 100% and if I had to point to one thing that BoB definite deserves to be raked over the coals for if not out right fired it’s the fact Devlin is still our OL coach. If one of the McNairs had at some point said “Bill either Devlin goes or you do.” we would have been better no matter which choice was made.

To be fair, I'm very high on the OL talent we have as of now except for Martin. I think there will be some jumbling of positions, like eventually moving Howard to RT,

Which is why I don't understand projecting Martin as our Center. Martin absolutely has to be replaced. Henderson has at least looked competent when healthy. Martin hasn't looked competent nor been healthy.

Fulton should be our Center & Roderick Johnson our RT. Keep Howard on the left.

Tunsil - Two 1st and a 2nd
Howard - 1st
Martin - 2nd
Scharping - 2nd
Sua-Filo - 2nd
Davenport - 3rd
Rankin - 3rd

Three of these are not even on the team anymore.

If this is what it takes to finally improve the OL after watching the last 3 yrs of terrible OL play, then so be it.

Which is why I don't understand projecting Martin as our Center. Martin absolutely has to be replaced. Henderson has at least looked competent when healthy. Martin hasn't looked competent nor been healthy.

Kinda wish they hadn't cut Leonard. The more I watched him, the more I liked him. He seemed very similar to Johnson .... athletic, smart, good motor, a born competitor. A little strength, and weight needed .... but a future !

OL clearly has an infusion of talent heading into this season. Now we have to wait and see if talent can finally trump poor coaching. I expect Rankin to live up to the expectations we had for him now that he's in KC with a good OL coach.

So is your theory that Smith could find ZBS OL but not OB scheme OL?

It's much easier to find players that fit a clearly defined scheme with a track record of success. He even had a few busts thrown in there (Brennan Williams/Antoine Caldwell in the 3rd for example). But at least there were a couple hits thanks to Kubiak/Gibbs having a clearly defined scheme for OL.

It's much easier to find players that fit a clearly defined scheme with a track record of success. He even had a few busts thrown in there (Brennan Williams/Antoine Caldwell in the 3rd for example). But at least there were a couple hits thanks to Kubiak/Gibbs having a clearly defined scheme for OL.

The Texans have a clearly defined scheme. The E-P system, which is night and day different from the ZBS. They finally have the talent to run the system properly and it only took them 2 offseasons to get the talent.

Thanks Gaine/BOB

I'm not high on Martin at all, but I think we will be in a better position to cover his warts once the rooks get some experience. I'd prefer Fulton or a future pick, but the regime seems set on Martin.

The Texans have a clearly defined scheme. The E-P system, which is night and day different from the ZBS.

The EP system is akin to the WCO, which is what Kubiak ran. His WCO used a lot of ZB.

Colts, Patriots, Giants have been heaven zone running teams as well. We ran a lot of ZB this preseason with our starters.

Could be.

Another possibility is that this coaching staff isn’t as good.

We’ll see. They don’t have anymore excuses.

Yep, there's no hiding anymore. Would you give your assessment of the talent level of the guys on the Texans OL?

The EP system is akin to the WCO, which is what Kubiak ran. His WCO used a lot of ZB.

Colts, Patriots, Giants have been heaven zone running teams as well. We ran a lot of ZB this preseason with our starters.

The EP system should look good but somehow looks like crap when obrien runs it.

You need bigger OL that can run both ZBS/Power in the EP system and those kinds of guys are hard to find.

I think this is the best collection of athletes this line has had in team history.

Still a lot of question marks.

Only player I’m pretty confident in is Tunsil. This line has very high potential.

What do you think of the Howard/Scharping picks? I think with some experience they are 10 yr starters at OG. They're avg athletes as OT's but great athletes as OG's.

The moves they made in Trades/Draft this offseason were all about protecting Watson. Hardly a dumpster fire but it was done quite differently than what you or I for that matter would've done.

Getting rid of clowney for peanuts protects Watson? Signing Khalil and Seantrel projects Watson?

Agreed,

Howard and Scharping are much better athletes and have less injury history than Martin, XSF did coming out. XSF is just a flat out bust

And tunsil was a much better prospect than either and he struggled his rookie year.

A good OL this year is a pipe dream.

I'd eventually like to see this OL feature:

LT- Tunsil
LG- Howard
OC- Fulton
RG- Scharping
RT- Johnson

Not sure Johnson could make the switch to the right side but I think he's got the upside if the Texans had him start taking reps on the right side.

Maybe the young guys make a push before the deadline which could open the door for the team to trade Martin to a desperate team that may need help due to injury.

Tweet from @PFF_Sam: Getting Tunsil is nice, but have Houston seen the other 4 guys on that line?

He could develop into Joe Thomas and the line would still be a problem.

Tweet from @PFF_Sam: Houston would have made a way bigger impact to their OL by trading for 3 average-above average linemen with those 3 big draft picks than sending them ALL for Tunsil, regardless of how well Tunsil plays.

PFF ranked Miami's OL #32 in the NFL heading into the year WITH HIM at LT.

What do you think of the Howard/Scharping picks? I think with some experience they are 10 yr starters at OG. They're avg athletes as OT's but great athletes as OG's.

Bwhahaha this is too funny . Where did you come up with these things. All because Obrien and Delvin tossed them at Guards, now it's with experience they're 10 yr starters. And average Tackles and great at guards.

All I can say is wow

Last edited:
When I said this Speedy went into full on A-Hole mode.
Incorrect.

I simply stated what you, meant as in general, think the Texans should do and what they will do are 2 different things.
You came back with this BS;

When you have to resort to this type of debating you know you've lost the debate. The you dont know what's going to happen defense. Nobody knows whats going to happen. SMH

You going into full on D-mode is when the conversation took a turn.

For the record, I don't have an issue with a starting 5 of Tunsil/Howard/Fulton/Scharping/Henderson. My comments were meant to say that the Texans rarely do what we want.

You're right .... our next two drafts, or lack there of, will be pretty depressing !

You got a premium player and 2 years of WFV insurance. Tell me who the Dolphins draft late in the 1st and 2nd in 2021, plus tell me if Stills is a major player come playoff time for the next 2 years and I will tell you who won this trade.

But it's not as one-sided as some here make it out to be

Tweet from @BrandonThornNFL: Tier 1 Elite
2 Very good
3 Good/above average
4 Solid/average
5 Adequate
6 Marginal/Poor

For the Texans, he has:
Tunsil at tier 3
Tytus at tier 6
Scharpring at tier 5
Seantrel at tier 6

Hasn't done centers.

Tweet from @BrandonThornNFL: Tier 1 Elite
2 Very good
3 Good/above average
4 Solid/average
5 Adequate
6 Marginal/Poor

For the Texans, he has:
Tunsil at tier 3
Tytus at tier 6
Scharpring at tier 5
Seantrel at tier 6

Hasn't done centers.

Why do we even need to play the game. Someone hit the fastforward & let's get this draft sht over.

Back