Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

State of the O-line

Who we see starting on the OL in the beginning will bear no resemblance to what we'll see by end of season. Kalil be lucky to play significant minutes and Henderson has been out almost as long with ailments. Don't think Tunsil is really in play for the Texans, cost too high, sooner or later Devlin and O'Brian are gonna have to plug and play Johnson @ LT. Martin's health is also a concern but probably cleanest slate of oft injured offensive lineman. Scharping will have to be thrown into the fire, much rather go with him than Davenport. Fulton also needs to keep injury free. Tytus is be well worth the investment just give him time, maybe make all rookie team as LG.

LT - Roderick Johnson
LG - Tytus Howard
C - Nick Martin
RG - Zach Fulton
RT - Max Scharping

Who we see starting on the OL in the beginning will bear no resemblance to what we'll see by end of season. Kalil be lucky to play significant minutes and Henderson has been out almost as long with ailments. Don't think Tunsil is really in play for the Texans, cost too high, sooner or later Devlin and O'Brian are gonna have to plug and play Johnson @ LT. Martin's health is also a concern but probably cleanest slate of oft injured offensive lineman. Scharping will have to be thrown into the fire, much rather go with him than Davenport. Fulton also needs to keep injury free. Tytus is be well worth the investment just give him time, maybe make all rookie team as LG.

LT - Roderick Johnson
LG - Tytus Howard
C - Nick Martin
RG - Zach Fulton
RT - Max Scharping
I wish they'd scrap the plan of having Martin as the starting Center. The guy was absolute trash against the Cowboys!

Has anyone ever heard anything concrete about the nature of Greg Mancz's injurie(s) ? Are they of a nature that will never heal ? He is very bright and a born leader ! I believe he had a redshirt year and came out with a completed Masters !

What about them? We're obviously far more desperate for an LT and about to trade Clowney, a first and a second for a decent but not elite LT.
Replacing Brown has cost them a 1st, 3rd & 4th, plus a high $ FA with no end in sight. Now we are going to throw in a 1st overall player (who isnt a bust) another 1st and a 2nd!?

Things werent this bad under Rick Smith and it hurts to come to that realisation.

Its like the QB/Osweiler situation all over again where they make bigger mistake after bigger mistake for years on end before paying a kings ransom just to make it go away.

Replacing Brown has cost them a 1st, 3rd & 4th, plus a high $ FA with no end in sight. Now we are going to throw in a 1st overall player (who isnt a bust) another 1st and a 2nd!?

Things werent this bad under Rick Smith and it hurts to come to that realisation.

Its like the QB/Osweiler situation all over again where they make bigger mistake after bigger mistake for years on end before paying a kings ransom just to make it go away.
Rick Smith did have enough experience and moxie to have finessed a trade for Andre Dillard and I also think made a respectable deal for Clowney. Of course we will
never know but Bill O'Brien and Cal Mcnair have made a huge mess of the 2019 season so far.
After all thanks to Smith we do have Deshaun Watson.
I hope Rick and his children are doing OK these days.

Rick Smith did have enough experience and moxie to have finessed a trade for Andre Dillard and I also think made a respectable deal for Clowney. Of course we will
never know but Bill O'Brien and Cal Mcnair have made a huge mess of the 2019 season so far.
After all thanks to Smith we do have Deshaun Watson.
I hope Rick and his children are doing OK these days.
Plenty of people whined and griped about Smith but we damn sure could use him right now.

I think guys like Nick Martin and Fulton would be better. I don't know about busted vets and rookies, that's not realistic

I don't know. He had success with Wade Smith & Chris Myers. Winston & Ben Jones as rookies.

@bTyson7

Replying to
@riversmccown
What happened to all the people saying Howard was the OT we wanted all along? And by the OT we mean maybe starting Guard. Every fan in Houston was screaming as Dillard was falling in the draft. I’d like to hear an explanation now about how this was the plan all along.
There have been alot of great left tackles who started at guard. Ogden started at left guard. I believe pace did also. It's better to start at left guard and kick out than to start at right tackle and move to the other side. Its completely different footwork

OK folks, the O-line just got better today with the addition of Tunsil! So this is what it should look like going forward:

RT - Henderson, Johnson
RG - Fulton, Sharping
OC - Martin, Mantz
LG - Howard, Kelemente
LT - Tunsil, Kalil

Not sure if they keep Kalil but they may want to as insurance (Not that he's much insurance himself!). This could be a solid line going forward once they have enough time playing together and if they can stay healthy. One thing's for sure, it's better than last years o-line!

I expect the interior OLine to be shuffled during the season before we settle on what lineup is best. The good news is that we should be able to find something that works w/ the talent we have there. The OLine shouldn't be a weakness this year. We're fairly stacked on offense.

I'm still surprises they kept Kelemete over Rankin but nobody can say anymore that the Texans are still underinvested or undercomitted in the OLine with 3 (three) countem first round picks in the offensive line in 2019 alone.

Tunsil

Howard

And....

Reactions: JB
My end of season starting line prediction:

Tunsil
Fulton
Martin
Scharping
Howard

Backups:
Johnson
Henderson
Mancz
Kelemete

Except for Martin I can get excited about this group (as long as I'm drunk enough not to think about the 2021 draft)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

There are certainly enough pieces now, and Devlin HAS to go if they dont get upper half performance. OL has a lot of combo blocks and just takes a bit of getting used to each other, so pick something and let these guys grow now. I still think Martin needs to earn his job, feels gifted

Yeah right now we have two first round picks and two second round picks on the o-line - the investment is finally there, now Devlin has to produce.

Yeah right now we have two first round picks and two second round picks on the o-line - the investment is finally there, now Devlin has to produce.
A total of three 1sts, four 2nds, and two 3rds invested in the line since BOB arrived.

Tunsil - Two 1st and a 2nd
Howard - 1st
Martin - 2nd
Scharping - 2nd
Sua-Filo - 2nd
Davenport - 3rd
Rankin - 3rd

Three of these are not even on the team anymore.

And a 4th (Martin) probably shouldn't be.

And a 4th (Martin) probably shouldn't be.
To be fair, I'm very high on the OL talent we have as of now except for Martin. I think there will be some jumbling of positions, like eventually moving Howard to RT, but our guys are in house...and were very expensive.

Tunsil - Two 1st and a 2nd
Howard - 1st
Martin - 2nd
Scharping - 2nd
Sua-Filo - 2nd
Davenport - 3rd
Rankin - 3rd

Three of these are not even on the team anymore.

SFX was a bust no question but those happen to every team though I will grant you they seem to happen a bit more to us but I haven’t actually researched that so it may just be my bias as a fan.

Davenport and Rankin I can’t really blame them for cutting as third round is where you start taking projects that look good on paper but have big question marks.

I always look at it like this, 1st and 2nd are guys that you expect to start within 2 years and if they don’t it’s a bust hands down. 3rd - 5th are projects and depth that might be starters at some point but if they aren’t panning out in 3 years or so then cut them and don’t lose sleep over it. 6th and 7th are basically glorified UDFA that no one would care about if Brady hadn’t been taken in the 6th and now everyone is looking for their lucky lotto ticket there to.

To be fair, I'm very high on the OL talent we have as of now except for Martin. I think there will be some jumbling of positions, like eventually moving Howard to RT, but our guys are in house...and were very expensive.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm high on them. I think they have potential to be much improved but some of that is going to depend on the powers that be deciding who plays where. And keep in mind, much improved might just mean going from the horrific unit they had last year, to just regular bad.

SFX was a bust no question but those happen to every team though I will grant you they seem to happen a bit more to us but I haven’t actually researched that so it may just be my bias as a fan.

Davenport and Rankin I can’t really blame them for cutting as third round is where you start taking projects that look good on paper but have big question marks.

I always look at it like this, 1st and 2nd are guys that you expect to start within 2 years and if they don’t it’s a bust hands down. 3rd - 5th are projects and depth that might be starters at some point but if they aren’t panning out in 3 years or so then cut them and don’t lose sleep over it. 6th and 7th are basically glorified UDFA that no one would care about if Brady hadn’t been taken in the 6th and now everyone is looking for their lucky lotto ticket there to.
Mostly agree. My point is that the org has made a very significant investment in the OL for the first time. If it doesn't work, it's on coaching.

Gibbs could make mid and low round picks work, partly because he wasnt looking for prototypical OL and partly because he was a genius coach. If we ever get a good OL coach, I expect this OL to be beastly.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm high on them. I think they have potential to be much improved but some of that is going to depend on the powers that be deciding who plays where. And keep in mind, much improved might just mean going from the horrific unit they had last year, to just regular bad.
That's a fair assessment. I should say I'm very high on the overall talent. Not so high on coaching.

Back