Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

No , I couldn't participate fully when Gary was here …. prior to that I was much more involved here.

Being privy to so many things / information and unable to say much … When he was fired , I was able to put my 2 cents in again but that was short lived cause OB is such a freakin train wreck.

No , I couldn't participate fully when Gary was here …. prior to that I was much more involved here.

Being privy to so many things / information and unable to say much … When he was fired , I was able to put my 2 cents in again but that was short lived cause OB is such a freakin train wreck.

You were very involved when Gary was here

Ok honey badger comparison is a bad one. He was just coming off injury. Kalil is injured AND sucked for years. Basically Kalil has never been good outside that rookie year.

Second, it is harmful when you waste all the LT snaps on him and O'Brien can't tell that he sucks.

No one cares about the win or loss. We care that Kalil looks like Tom Cruise in risky business on a slip 'n slide.

I was thinking he would've made it a competition between him and Davenport. Especially since he said Davenport was the starter. Now for some reason dude has completely abandoned that notion. Which imo is very stupid. It would've been best to allow that unit from last year 1st team reps. Mainly because they've already played with each other. And they should have a better understanding of what Obrien is try to employ. Now it's going to be the same growing pains from last season with yet another new unit.

Last edited:
I was thinking he would've made it competition between him and Davenport. Especially since he said Davenport was the starter. Now for some reason dude has completely abandoned that notion. Which imo is very stupid. It would've been best to allow that unit from last year 1st team reps. Mainly because they've already played with each. And they should have a better understanding of what Obrien is try to employ. Now it's going to be the same growing pains from last season with yet another new unit.
Best way to fix growing pains is to add fertilizer or just dig the plant out. Besides didn’t someone perhaps mention injury?

https://twitter.com/TexansCap/status/1161986001847406592?s=20

ECAz9kqWkAA3k3J

.@SethCPayne brought up an interesting point on air this morning on Brandon Brooks, and the money spent to replace him. Here is the estimated cash spent replacing Brooks with Fulton & Allen, compared to the cash Brooks has earned in Philly.

Hmm .. I wonder if we pull up the old Brandon Brooks thread how many guys said that giving him all that money was/would be a mistake??

https://twitter.com/TexansCap/status/1161986001847406592?s=20

ECAz9kqWkAA3k3J

Hmm .. I wonder if we pull up the old Brandon Brooks thread how many guys said that giving him all that money was/would be a mistake??

It would've been a mistake given the health issues Brooks had while he was here. He went to Philly and the Philly Dr.'s figured out what was wrong with him and treated his illness. Not surprisingly Brooks turned into an all pro because the talent was always there. Somehow some posters will blame BOB for Brooks not developing and that's not fair. IMHO

I was thinking he would've made it competition between him and Davenport. Especially since he said Davenport was the starter. Now for some reason dude has completely abandoned that notion. Which imo is very stupid. It would've been best to allow that unit from last year 1st team reps. Mainly because they've already played with each. And they should have a better understanding of what Obrien is try to employ. Now it's going to be the same growing pains from last season with yet another new unit.

LMAO

Did you see last yrs OL? They sucked, why would you want to go with the same unit that allowed Watson to be sacked 62 times and was consistently unable to pick up 3rd and shorts all yr long? Your plan is fine if you thought last yrs OL could become even avg and that isn't ever going to happen.

Davenport in particular.

Gotta add more talent.

It would've been a mistake given the health issues Brooks had while he was here. He went to Philly and the Philly Dr.'s figured out what was wrong with him and treated his illness. Not surprisingly Brooks turned into an all pro because the talent was always there. Somehow some posters will blame BOB for Brooks not developing and that's not fair. IMHO

Obrien blamed him for being lazy when it was a medical issue the doctors couldn't figure out.

And guess what he was still good when playing with that medical issue, so it didn't make sense anyway

Sounds like they are trying some new lineups at ol today.

@PatDStat: Roderick Johnson getting the run with the ones at left tackle. #Texans

@PatDStat: Senio Kelemete at LG #Texans

@PatDStat: Davenport and Howard in at LT and LG. #Texans

Obrien blamed him for being lazy when it was a medical issue the doctors couldn't figure out.

And guess what he was still good when playing with that medical issue, so it didn't make sense anyway

Doctors told OB nothing was wrong with Brooks, so what was he supposed to think?

He was good when he played, he missed lots of time here.

You want to put it all on OB, if Brooks knew he had a real problem, why didn't he get a 2nd opinion independent of the Texans?

Doctors told OB nothing was wrong with Brooks, so what was he supposed to think?

He was good when he played, he missed lots of time here.

You want to put it all on OB, if Brooks knew he had a real problem, why didn't he get a 2nd opinion independent of the Texans?

He did not miss a ton of games. He played 15,15 and 14 games his 3 years as starter. And he was still good.

What's he supposed to think is the defense,? Not good enough for an NFL head coach. Maybe ok for high school

Why didnt the Texans get him a second opinion? How do you know brooks knew he had a real problem? He probably didn't understand fully at that time either. That's why you should have adults in the room actually helping him

He did not miss a ton of games. He played 15,15 and 14 games his 3 years as starter. And he was still good.

What's he supposed to think is the defense,? Not good enough for an NFL head coach. Maybe ok for high school

Why didnt the Texans get him a second opinion? How do you know brooks knew he had a real problem? He probably didn't understand fully at that time either. That's why you should have adults in the room actually helping him

He missed a ton of practice time along with the games missed.
How would he not know he had a problem?
Why would the Texans get a 2nd opinion when their doctors said Brooks had no problems and Brooks didn't argue?

He missed a ton of practice time along with the games missed.
How would he not know he had a problem?
Why would the Texans get a 2nd opinion when their doctors said Brooks had no problems and Brooks didn't argue?

It was an anxiety issue. It's quite likely he didn't fully understand it either. The doctors misdiagnose him and OBrien makes it worse, running him off and replacing him with Jeff Allen

It was an anxiety issue. It's quite likely he didn't fully understand it either. The doctors misdiagnose him and OBrien makes it worse, running him off and replacing him with Jeff Allen

Lol, so if Brooks himself didn't fully understand it, what makes you think BoB would've? Especially in light of him having team docs telling him nothing was wrong with him? You're reaching and making absolutely NO SENSE.

Lol, so if Brooks himself didn't fully understand it, what makes you think BoB would've? Especially in light of him having team docs telling him nothing was wrong with him? You're reaching and making absolutely NO SENSE.

I didn't say O'Brien should fully understand it. I said he shoulnt treat guys like crap and run them off when he has no clue what is going on

Now we have warring with a setback because OBrien pressured him up rush back

YOU ARE MAKING NO SENSE

@PatDStat: OB says it was an off day for Matt Kalil and then add in quick that Roderick Johnson had a good day today. #Texans

You have clearly never worked for any company that dealt with an injury. If your company doctor or the doctor that you designate as the person to take injuries to tell you there is nothing wrong you DO NOT go out and get a second opinion if you are a manager or in this case a coach.

You seem to think it was on BoB to say "You know what, the doctors that my bosses have hired and said get final say on injuries believe there is nothing wrong but using my crystal ball and horoscope I have determined they are wrong. I have no medical knowledge or any experience on this and I know you yourself don't know if anything is wrong but don't worry Brooks. I'm going to keep taking you to doctors, therapists, nurses, shamans, priests, witch doctors and various mothers who treat their kids boo boos until we find out why you keep missing practice and seem to be phoning it in when you are there."

I didn't say O'Brien should fully understand it. I said he shoulnt treat guys like crap and run them off when he has no clue what is going on

Now we have warring with a setback because OBrien pressured him up rush back

YOU ARE MAKING NO SENSE

If BoB was half as terrible as you say, we'd have more stories coming out from players about it like Tom Coughlin has had over the years. Brooks is 1 guy & his feelings are entirely his own. BoB acted on the evidence he had at the time. Stop trying to make sweeping generalizations about things you have no idea about.

If BoB was half as terrible as you say, we'd have more stories coming out from players about it like Tom Coughlin has had over the years. Brooks is 1 guy & his feelings are entirely his own. BoB acted on the evidence he had at the time. Stop trying to make sweeping generalizations about things you have no idea about.
This OL has continuously been bad over OBs tenure. It wasn’t bad when he got here.

You have clearly never worked for any company that dealt with an injury. If your company doctor or the doctor that you designate as the person to take injuries to tell you there is nothing wrong you DO NOT go out and get a second opinion if you are a manager or in this case a coach.

You seem to think it was on BoB to say "You know what, the doctors that my bosses have hired and said get final say on injuries believe there is nothing wrong but using my crystal ball and horoscope I have determined they are wrong. I have no medical knowledge or any experience on this and I know you yourself don't know if anything is wrong but don't worry Brooks. I'm going to keep taking you to doctors, therapists, nurses, shamans, priests, witch doctors and various mothers who treat their kids boo boos until we find out why you keep missing practice and seem to be phoning it in when you are there."

All I am saying is bob shouldn't treat good players like crap and run them off. He clearly doesn't know that much about how people work and what kind of personal issues they might have.

He was in no position and had zero evidence to conclude it was an attitude problem

This OL has continuously been bad over OBs tenure. It wasn’t bad when he got here.

We've gone over the devolution of the OL, all that happened cannot be blamed on BoB no matter how strongly you guys believe it.

He clearly doesn't know that much about how people work and what kind of personal issues they might have.

Spoken like someone who doesn't even know the man but is determined to make a grand statement on the man's character...........with next to no evidence.

We've gone over the devolution of the OL, all that happened cannot be blamed on BoB no matter how strongly you guys believe it.

Spoken like someone who doesn't even know the man but is determined to make a grand statement on the man's character...........with next to no evidence.

I'm not questioning his character I'm questioning his head coaching ability.

If you don't blame OBrien for the OL then who do you blame?

All I am saying is bob shouldn't treat good players like crap and run them off. He clearly doesn't know that much about how people work and what kind of personal issues they might have.

He was in no position and had zero evidence to conclude it was an attitude problem

So he wasn't in a position to determine it was an attitude problem but he was in a position to overrule doctors in determining it was a medical problem? Do you even hear yourself at this point? Also yes he did have evidence, he had highly paid doctors with years of medical school and experience telling him there was nothing wrong with the guy. They were wrong but how in the blue hell was he suppose to know that? Also one player, ONE, has said that. You should look up what players have said about Belichick, hell its rumored that Gronk retired because he couldn't handle the "Patriot's way" any more.

Honestly I'm getting tired of beating this dead horse with you. You're not interested in a rational discussion you are just interested in hammering home how much you hate Bill O'Brien. I actually hope you do know him in real life because I would hate to think you carry this much hatred for a man you have never met simply because you don't like the way he coaches a football team. As if it actually matters in any of our daily lives if the Texans win or not.

So he wasn't in a position to determine it was an attitude problem but he was in a position to overrule doctors in determining it was a medical problem? Do you even hear yourself at this point? Also yes he did have evidence, he had highly paid doctors with years of medical school and experience telling him there was nothing wrong with the guy. They were wrong but how in the blue hell was he suppose to know that? Also one player, ONE, has said that. You should look up what players have said about Belichick, hell its rumored that Gronk retired because he couldn't handle the "Patriot's way" any more.

Honestly I'm getting tired of beating this dead horse with you. You're not interested in a rational discussion you are just interested in hammering home how much you hate Bill O'Brien. I actually hope you do know him in real life because I would hate to think you carry this much hatred for a man you have never met simply because you don't like the way he coaches a football team. As if it actually matters in any of our daily lives if the Texans win or not.

Doctors said there was no physical issue. I never said he had to overrule them man

He was still playing well but sometimes had anxiety which is not the same as having some physical injury team doctors look at.

O'Brien concludes he has a bad attitude and isn't Texan worthy.

Way to run a team.

@SethCPayne: Roderick Johnson has looked far better than Kalil this far.

@PatDStat: It has gotten to the point where the offense is not worse with the younger and more athletic Roderick Johnson. He moves well and has heavy hands. It has become interesting. https://t.co/aS6PgSJipA

Doctors said there was no physical issue. I never said he had to overrule them man

He was still playing well but sometimes had anxiety which is not the same as having some physical injury team doctors look at.

O'Brien concludes he has a bad attitude and isn't Texan worthy.

Way to run a team.

I don't know what line of work you are in, but if you had a sub-ordinate that had 'no physical problem' that often did not show up for work, what would you think? Especially if those missed days were usually on a Monday or Friday?

I don't know what line of work you are in, but if you had a sub-ordinate that had 'no physical problem' that often did not show up for work, what would you think? Especially if those missed days were usually on a Monday or Friday?

Often didn't show up for work? You got a link for that?

That anybody is trying to defend how Bill Obrien handles media and player relations is ridiculously funny! That he's being given the benefit of the doubt after Keenum, Brooks, Lechler have all trashed the man. The constant "**** dont stink" attitude he has with reporters. The "thanks Vance, you dumb ****" video snippet of the Bronco game.

Bill OBrien the poor, misunderstood choir boy!

tenor.gif

I'm not questioning his character I'm questioning his head coaching ability.

If you don't blame OBrien for the OL then who do you blame?

Saying "he doesn't know that much about people" kinda is questioning his character as if to say he's just out there running the players into the ground with no regard for them or their personal lives. Keep in mind, The guy you're saying this about is the same guy that kept a guy on his radar that had cancer. Even let him make it back & gave him some run in preseason before he letting him go...for football reasons.

This is the same guy who publically blasted some racist idiot for talking about his qb.

You're way out of your depth on this & you should stop while you're behind.

Saying "he doesn't know that much about people" kinda is questioning his character as if to say he's just out there running the players into the ground with no regard for them or their personal lives. Keep in mind, The guy you're saying this about is the same guy that kept a guy on his radar that had cancer. Even let him make it back & gave him some run in preseason before he let him go.

He doesn't know much about people isn't a criticism of his character. It's an evaluation of how he has managed and continues to manage players. Warring is the latest example

He’s in charge of offense and overall. He’s allowed Devlin to stay despite a horrible job of developing the talent. OB is not a good coach. If Watson hadn’t come along we wouldn’t have won a third of the games he pulled out.

Saying "he doesn't know that much about people" kinda is questioning his character as if to say he's just out there running the players into the ground with no regard for them or their personal lives. Keep in mind, The guy you're saying this about is the same guy that kept a guy on his radar that had cancer. Even let him make it back & gave him some run in preseason before he letting him go...for football reasons.

This is the same guy who publically blasted some racist idiot for talking about his qb.

Actually you should stop.

He’s in charge of offense and overall. He’s allowed Devlin to stay despite a horrible job of developing the talent. OB is not a good coach. If Watson hadn’t come along we wouldn’t have won a third of the games he pulled out.

Lol, you can literally say the bolded for every HC that has ever won..

But if we're just gonna keep it to what actually has happened Watson DID come along... just like Wade DID come along for Kubiak. Just like Brady DID come along for Belichick.

Back