Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

State of the O-line

2 Years ago we didn't care about protecting the QB because it wouldn't have mattered even if we did. You could have put Savage behind just about any Oline and he still would have sucked. Hell there were several times I was hoping he would have to scramble because at least then we might gain some yards and he was less likely to fumble than he was throw an interception.

The impression was if we had a franchise qb, he would elevate everyone's play and make the o-line look better. As with most things, that was true...............................to a point.

Thankfully, you have no more voice than I do... and I give them NONE of my money unlike you

True

Why do you say thankfully? I would do everything possible to protect the QB and put the best team possible on the field. Unlike what the org is currently doing.

2 Years ago we didn't care about protecting the QB because it wouldn't have mattered even if we did. You could have put Savage behind just about any Oline and he still would have sucked. Hell there were several times I was hoping he would have to scramble because at least then we might gain some yards and he was less likely to fumble than he was throw an interception.

Is that why 2 years ago Watson was setting rookie records for a QB? Asking for an ironic friend. 2 years ago the offensive line was also garbage. Its been a steady decline since OBrien took over. When OBrien was here the line consisted of Brown/Brooks/Myers/Ben Jones/Newton. That was a serviceable offensive line. Myers retired. In comes Martin. Brooks hated OBrien and went to Philly. McNair and company ran off Brown. Jones was allowed to walk. A steady stream of JAGS on the line has followed suit with NOBODY in the organization able to identify quality NFL OLinemen and resulting in the losses of 2nd and 3rd round draft pick busts in the process.

I hate hearing all these excuses for OBrien when he's been at the forefront of the offensive line decimation looking for his giant ass tackles and "strong" guards. Clown couldnt tell a good football player from a grocery bagger all he see's is "size". He should hire better quality control coaches, its what the titans of industry do, they figure out what their weaknesses are and arent self absorbed enough to hire the right people to make up for it. OBrien thinks he has no weaknesses.

If you mean work ethic in the sense that he didn't work hard enough to come back from injury we can agree.

But tell me how many rb's have made it back from that injury to the level of performance they had before the injury?

Dude he came back from his injury last season. His health wasn't the issue. The youngster didn't want to play special teams and he wasn't having a good camp. Fumbling the ball and blowing his blocking assignments in pass pro.

Dude he came back from his injury last season. His health wasn't the issue. The youngster didn't want to play special teams and he wasn't having a good camp. Fumbling the ball and blowing his blocking assignments in pass pro.

Did he look like the same player he was before injury in your eyes?

Is that why 2 years ago Watson was setting rookie records for a QB? Asking for an ironic friend. 2 years ago the offensive line was also garbage. Its been a steady decline since OBrien took over. When OBrien was here the line consisted of Brown/Brooks/Myers/Ben Jones/Newton. That was a serviceable offensive line. Myers retired. In comes Martin. Brooks hated OBrien and went to Philly. McNair and company ran off Brown. Jones was allowed to walk. A steady stream of JAGS on the line has followed suit with NOBODY in the organization able to identify quality NFL OLinemen and resulting in the losses of 2nd and 3rd round draft pick busts in the process.

I hate hearing all these excuses for OBrien when he's been at the forefront of the offensive line decimation looking for his giant ass tackles and "strong" guards. Clown couldnt tell a good football player from a grocery bagger all he see's is "size". He should hire better quality control coaches, its what the titans of industry do, they figure out what their weaknesses are and arent self absorbed enough to hire the right people to make up for it. OBrien thinks he has no weaknesses.

Rico I thought you had me on ignore, ah well good to see ya buddy. I don't think anyone has defended the line, the most anyone has done is point out pretty much exactly what you just did. That of the line that was here when BoB came in the only one you MIGHT could blame on BoB is Brooks but even that one is a tough one to call if you look at all the factors. Likewise no one has defended Devlin or Bob's loyalty to Devlin, hell even Steel said that Devlin will and should cost Bob his job.

On the note of hiring better coaches he did that with Carl Smith as our QB coach, I agree he thinks his way is right at OC which is why he is using it to pad a kid's resume and we've already talked about Devlin. I don't think its that BoB doesn't think he has weaknesses, to his credit he stays out of the defense, its that I don't think he believes his weaknesses are what other people believe they are.

Didn't have to be this way. There was the best LT in the draft sitting right there and Gaine decided to go in another direction.

Also Gaine could've added a serviceable LT like Nsekhe cheaply if he didn't want to spend big money on a guy like Brown.

Gaine decided in typical arrogant Texans fashion to draft a small school guy and sign a washed up Kalil. Is it any wonder that the Texans org is where they are today with this type of thinking. Watson should file a criminal negligence suit against the Texans org.

But but like you stated he addressed the tackle position. You were on board then so let's not jump off now that it's very clear Obrien doesn't know wth he's doing. Lol got these youngsters playing guard instead of what we actually drafted them for. Not only that, lol what happened to ole buddy being the best tackle on this roster. Joker looking like a hot mess out there. I told you he wasn't good.

Being sensitive is what ran him off.

If he was too sensitive , maybe more should try it . We had a surgeon from the medical center mingling with us dropping hints on injuries , providing pictures of bones and muscles . He had an injury thread and all he asked was to stay on topic . He was a subject matter expert that hated clutter .

You could also message him and he’d give his number and refer a doctor and then say let him know how it went .

Didn't have to be this way. There was the best LT in the draft sitting right there and Gaine decided to go in another direction.

Also Gaine could've added a serviceable LT like Nsekhe cheaply if he didn't want to spend big money on a guy like Brown.

Gaine decided in typical arrogant Texans fashion to draft a small school guy and sign a washed up Kalil. Is it any wonder that the Texans org is where they are today with this type of thinking. Watson should file a criminal negligence suit against the Texans org.

But but like you stated he addressed the tackle position. You were on board then so let's not jump off now that it's very clear Obrien doesn't know wth he's doing. Lol got these youngsters playing guard instead of what we actually drafted them for. Not only that, lol what happened to ole buddy being the best tackle on this roster. Joker looking like a hot mess out there. I told you he wasn't good.
Whatever

We lost a valuable member who chose to take his obvious talents elsewhere.

But you just keep on believing he was oversensitive.

Truth is he probably got tired of do research and then having to deal with idiots and fools

It's just a freaking message board. And hell yeah he was being sensitive behind his thread that got derailed. All these threads gets derailed by you, me and everyone else.

If he was too sensitive , maybe more should try it . We had a surgeon from the medical center mingling with us dropping hints on injuries , providing pictures of bones and muscles . He had an injury thread and all he asked was to stay on topic . He was a subject matter expert that hated clutter .

You could also message him and he’d give his number and refer a doctor and then say let him know how it went .

Well stop derailing threads and he just might come back.

When was I on board with the Howard pick?

Huh, what?

I don't recall Steel ever saying they addressed the tackle position. Yes technically they did address it but if you mean him saying its fixed yeah that didn't happen. I mean I love calling Steel out on his BS as much as the next person but at least lets call him out on BS he actually said. It is possible I missed it so if you could find the quote that would be great. Also which was the best tackle on the roster? Howard, because if so he may very well be, not that its a high bar to shoot for.

It's just a freaking message board. And hell yeah he was being sensitive behind his thread that got derailed. All these threads gets derailed by you, me and everyone else.
Well stop derailing threads and he just might come back.

I never derailed his thread . I had to much respect for his knowledge . I will derail when it gets crazy . The levity is exhilarating .

Huh, what?

I don't recall Steel ever saying they addressed the tackle position. Yes technically they did address it but if you mean him saying its fixed yeah that didn't happen. I mean I love calling Steel out on his BS as much as the next person but at least lets call him out on BS he actually said. It is possible I missed it so if you could find the quote that would be great. Also which was the best tackle on the roster? Howard, because if so he may very well be, not that its a high bar to shoot for.

Yes he did. He was raving about Gaines when we drafted those two. And he also said old buddy that came from Carolina was the best we have at LT. Which was clearly false.

Scharping is not MIA he played RG and the biggest reason they had him playing RG is because Martin is injured, again, and Fulton had to move to center so Scharping was moved to RG, he has been getting reps at RT.

Not pointed at you specifically but this keeps popping up. It's as if no one noticed Martin didn't even suit up. Greg Mancz started at Center, was injured & carted off the field.

Martin has been hurt since week 1 of training camp.

Last edited:
Yes he did. He was raving about Gaines when we drafted those two. And he also said old buddy that came from Carolina was the best we have at LT. Which was clearly false.

Raving or ranting, because Steel has been off the Gaine bandwagon since Raiders signed Brown, shout out to "good times are ahead". Also who is this old buddy you keep referring to? I must have missed that nickname or whatever.

The impression was if we had a franchise qb, he would elevate everyone's play and make the o-line look better. As with most things, that was true...............................to a point.

Right. To a point. This offense gets in trouble with the constant 2nd/3rd and longs they get themselves into and a lot of that is the o-line not opening holes for a RB or turning into a sieve on a pass play. Sometimes the talent at the skill positions they have can overcome that, but the talent on the line is so bad, it makes it very difficult to overcome on a consistent basis.

The Texans don't have to have an o-line full of All-Pros, they just need to be good enough to be average. The franchise QB can/should take it from there. Why they are not at least average either has to be a talent issue or a coaching issue, or both. Somehow, someway, one, or both of those things has to get fixed before this offense even has a chance to overcome play designs and calls.

Right. To a point. This offense gets in trouble with the constant 2nd/3rd and longs they get themselves into and a lot of that is the o-line not opening holes for a RB or turning into a sieve on a pass play. Sometimes the talent at the skill positions they have can overcome that, but the talent on the line is so bad, it makes it very difficult to overcome on a consistent basis.

The Texans don't have to have an o-line full of All-Pros, they just need to be good enough to be average. The franchise QB can/should take it from there. Why they are not at least average either has to be a talent issue or a coaching issue, or both. Somehow, someway, one, or both of those things has to get fixed before this offense even has a chance to overcome play designs and calls.

Well .... as I live and breathe .... Bill .... is that you ??

3rd and long also comes from OBrien running to often on first down and on second and long

Huh, what?

What BS are you calling me out on?

BS like the Texans have the 2nd most cap space in the NFL and still dont have an avg NFL starting LT?

Show the post or shut the hell up.

It doesn't exists.

I did say I hope Gaine knows what he's doing because I would've traded up for Dillard. I also said I liked the Scharping pick. I didn't like Kalil's injury history and hope I was wrong about him.

• OT Matt Kalil continues to have an up and down camp. If there is anything he did do, he showed more effort than he did on Sunday. There is either good or really bad from Kalil. Once again, power and speed give Kalil issues, and this continues to be a situation to monitor to watch moving forward.

• OG Martinas Rankin had a good moment when he road grated a land for RB Karan Higdon Jr. to hurdle a linebacker for what would have been close to a 20-yard touchdown run. Rankin has been trying to learn his new position of offensive guard, and this was a positive sign.
Mixed Day for the Offense

After the strong start of the offense, it was shaky the next series. There was a miscommunication that saw Lions linebackers run up the gap on what would have been a clear sack of him. A Lions defensive tackle was able to knock down a pass and then there was a holding call and false start on the offense. Add in a sloppy screen to the wide receiver that had a block in the back from one of the wide receivers. The Watson lead offense that started off strong looked a mess in their second team period of practice.

Kalil still out there getting the LT reps. Running out of time to get someone else in there.

Kalil's long day

Cody Stoots

✔@Cody_Stoots

https://twitter.com/Cody_Stoots/status/1161671147714437122

#Texans LT Kalil wants to prove plenty this season

https://twitter.com/Cody_Stoots

It was a roller coaster day for the Texans left tackle. He started off not getting the job done on the ground in the first set of team drills but his pass protection held up. Later, he was annihilated and placed promptly in Deshaun Watson's lap. It was an ugly rep and the start of four straight bad plays by the Texans offensive line. Kalil held up later in some pass protection situations but when he is bad, it is really bad.

Right side, strong side

Max Scharping at right guard and Seantrell Henderson at right guard had a pretty nice day. In the Texans first team drills of the day they bullied the Lions. Later there was a missed assignment on the right side that blew the play dead but overall it was a nice day for Henderson and the Texans rookie.

I am higher on Henderson than most, I think he has had a nice camp. I am not concerend with him holding down the right side. Scharping seems to get a little better each time he is out. There are still a couple of moments where he looks like a rookie but he doesn't make many mistakes twice.

https://houston.sportsmap.com/11-ob...-camp-for-aug-14?rebelltitem=11#rebelltitem11

Texans closer to configuring offensive line

The Texans are approaching the time when they need to settle on their starting offensive line.

The most frequent configuration the Texans have utilized is veteran Matt Kalil at left tackle and rookie first-round draft pick Tytus Howard at left guard, regular right guard Zach Fulton filling in for injured Nick Martin at center, rookie Max Scharping at right guard and Seantrel Henderson at right tackle.

When Martin returns, expect Fulton and Scharping to resume their competition at right guard with Fulton holding the edge at this point.

Martin is expected to return next week from a strained hamstring suffered during a conditioning test at the start of training camp.

“We're getting more towards where we believe it'll be," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "Nick hasn't been in there, obviously, so that's a big part of it. Greg (Mancz was), injured (ankle) last week in the game, so those guys are big parts of it. It's good that we have Zach Fulton who can play in there in center, but I'd say that is still a work in progress, but we're getting closer to what we believe it'll be.”

O'Brien on Tytus Howard: 'He's done a good job'

The education of Texans rookie offensive lineman Tytus Howard is an ongoing process.

Cross-training at left guard and left tackle next to former Pro Bowl left tackle Matt Kalil, the first-round draft pick from Alabama State has made progress.

Howard looks comfortable at left guard, displaying power and aggressiveness. He didn't look very polished in pass protection in his first game last week against the Green Bay Packers.

Drafted 23rd overall and signed to a four-year, $12.3 million contract that included a $7 million signing bonus, Howard is on track to be a rookie starter.

"He's done a good job," Texans coach Bill O'Brien said. "He works hard, really good kid, really smart, good teammate, everything that you're looking for. He does a good job. He gets better every day.”

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...(Premium)&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

I don't have a problem with him saying it. I have a problem with him bringing in Kalil number one, and number two actually starting him

Bringing in Kalil was completely harmless, it cost us next to nothing and he was worth kicking the tires on. Remember everyone though honey badger was done to.

As for starting him it was a damn pre season game, you know those glorified practices that everyone, correctly, said didn't matter last year when we won all 3. So now that we lost one they suddenly are signs of things to come?

Bringing in Kalil was completely harmless, it cost us next to nothing and he was worth kicking the tires on. Remember everyone though honey badger was done to.

As for starting him it was a damn pre season game, you know those glorified practices that everyone, correctly, said didn't matter last year when we won all 3. So now that we lost one they suddenly are signs of things to come?

Ok honey badger comparison is a bad one. He was just coming off injury. Kalil is injured AND sucked for years. Basically Kalil has never been good outside that rookie year.

Second, it is harmful when you waste all the LT snaps on him and O'Brien can't tell that he sucks.

No one cares about the win or loss. We care that Kalil looks like Tom Cruise in risky business on a slip 'n slide.

Back